Rexxie

IS-7 Exculpation Thread

481 posts in this topic

So, its actually a pretty good tank. Thought we'd give it its own thread, especially considering a lot of people are going to be getting it via on-track.

I really like the tank. Everything about it is good... except the accuracy. Armour is about as good as an E3's, all things considered. The front is a little less stronk, but honestly between the mobility, turret, and the side armor it's more durable than an E3 will ever be. Alpha is actually fairly respectable, and the mobility is fine for everything but dealing with circling meds.

Still, you'll miss a lot. Between that and the pretty terrible AP round (considering the accuracy), your DPG definitely takes a hit.

Anyway, I know it's pretty much common knowledge that the IS-7 gets some love from the purples, but I thought I'd throw my opinion into the ring. Looking forward to more of it, definitely better than I expected it to be.

It's decent for pushing, more so than the E-100, for the mobility, and the hulldown is impossible to dislodge discounting rushing and artyfgts.

the only thing apart form the derpy gun is the lack of DPM that really hurts sometimes. Many game i could of done alot more with a tad more DPM.

Fighting tier 8s & 9s is just lol, most 8s and some 9s will bounce of your lower plate (even with gold) making you pretty much immune to them frontally.... its like kicking puppies.

Oh and that front plate loves to bounce 340 pen HEAT all day.

the only thing apart form the derpy gun is the lack of DPM that really hurts sometimes. Many game i could of done alot more with a tad more DPM.

Fighting tier 8s & 9s is just lol, most 8s and some 9s will bounce of your lower plate (even with gold) making you pretty much immune to them frontally.... its like kicking puppies.

Tell that to the Romba firing heat out of the 15cm gun yesterday, because he must have not listened Q__Q. Rip my front plate.

They are terrible aimers then :P, few hours ago i kill ed IS7 from full hp with Sta-1, all HEAT at lfp, none bounced

Most detailed armor scheme i know of (and superior to tank inspector, since the angle tank-inspectors gave a bs, greatly inflating effective armor...)

is7.png

They are terrible aimers then :P, few hours ago i kill ed IS7 from full hp with Sta-1, all HEAT at lfp, none bounced

Most detailed armor scheme i know of (and superior to tank inspector, since the angle tank-inspectors gave a bs, greatly inflating effective armor...)

is7.png

That tiny little strip of armor on the joint of the LFP and UFP is the cause of so many bounces

The key with the IS-7 is to not angle, at all. People think that ~20 degrees of side angle helps protect their LFP from fire, but the loss in protection to the facing side of the UFP more then negates this advantage. ~20 degrees of side angle only adds about 3.5% to your effective armor strength against AP ( 6.4% against HEAT) while reducing a side angle from ~50 degrees to ~30 degrees (a reasonable approximation of the IS-7s side angle) reduces the effective strength there by almost 40% (relative to flat thickness, 25% relative to total thickness) against HEAT, slightly less against AP. You go from ~300 effective to ~240 effective on the facing side with only a 20 degree deviation. That makes a huge difference against most T10 AP and T9 APCR.

The IS-7 is supposed to hull down behind tiny pieces of rubble, blast anything in front of it, then advance to the next location. Knife fight at 20 meters - taller tanks will not be able to hit your LFP and your UFP is still effective dead on due to the high contribution from side angle to the thickness. You are not really intended to trade shots so much as to put the enemy team in disarray by spearheading the rush. Very few tanks (and not all TDs) have the firepower to deal with an IS-7 at close range - hull down not even HEAT or T10 TD APCR is incabaple of bouncing.

It is similar to the E-100 in that respect, however the execution is somewhat different. You want to sidescrape in the E-100 - the IS-7 is supposed to attack from the side, using enemy tanks for cover against others and exploiting the extreme difficulty of hitting the IS-7s weakspots at close range while higher DPM teammates tear into the now unprotected sides of enemy tanks.

Basically, the IS-7 is a sledgehammer. Hit hard, hit fast, and make them regret engaging you.

I'm on the IS-8, not looking forward to that grind. I was holding off grinding it but with the on track event, now is the perfect time!

I'm on the IS-8, not looking forward to that grind. I was holding off grinding it but with the on track event, now is the perfect time!

I think the IS-8 is a good tank. It can move quickly, has a hard turret, and a good gun.

Yay. My soviet tank harem is growing.

Now I have the IS-4 and IS-7 in my garage. They can fight for my affections.

I think the IS-8 is a good tank. It can move quickly, has a hard turret, and a good gun.

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Played it like the 111 1-4 and it worked out pretty well.

great hull down Tank with awesome armor, questionable gun accuracy, decent dpm, and like all pike variants,

Yolo rush spear head into the enemy!

For once they're running an on track that I might actually complete.  I've got the IS-8 with the middle gun, with this event I should finish it up and get on to the 7.

At first I hated the 8, now I only have mild apprehension.  I think the big gun will help a lot, also when I started treating it more like a medium instead of a heavy things went much better.

As my first and so far only Tier 10 tank, I must say that it's extremely strong, when you have enough support to back you up, and compensate for your lack of DPM while you spearhead the charge. Against the E-100, you bounce AP all the time, and HEAT with proper use of the armor, and can punch back with the meaty alpha strike of 490 damage. You can also give T57 Heavies significant problems with a hidden LFP, and laugh at even Waffles when hulldown. However, you have to watch out for FV183s, as the HESH can still do 700-odd damage regardless, unless it hits the spaced some armor. The straight line mobility is very good, but it becomes a slug the moment that you turn. Overall, it's one of the best assault tanks in the game, and if WG would give it it's historical mobility, it could make a return to CW.

Its just god mode when hulldown. Then you get a t34 who snipes the copula twice in a row. (while i wiggle and 300m away)

As my first and so far only Tier 10 tank, I must say that it's extremely strong, when you have enough support to back you up, and compensate for your lack of DPM while you spearhead the charge. Against the E-100, you bounce AP all the time, and HEAT with proper use of the armor, and can punch back with the meaty alpha strike of 490 damage. You can also give T57 Heavies significant problems with a hidden LFP, and laugh at even Waffles when hulldown. However, you have to watch out for FV183s, as the HESH can still do 700-odd damage regardless, unless it hits the spaced some armor. The straight line mobility is very good, but it becomes a slug the moment that you turn. Overall, it's one of the best assault tanks in the game, and if WG would give it it's historical mobility, it could make a return to CW.

WG would never give it historical mobility. Go ask prioryofsion, T___A or EnsignExpendable about how ridiculously fast it was for such a heavy vehicle.

It would be able to keep pace with T-54s and E-50Ms on flat ground, as an in game comparison.

But yeah, from my experience facing them, the IS-7 is a tough nut to crack. I panic-spam 128mm APCR when they CQC me, and its usually an autopen on lfp and 90/10 pen/bounce on UFP, while being a 50/50 on turret.

Gun doesn't feel as bad as I thought it would, but...

What the fuck is this pubbie RNG bullshit hitting my cupola so much? I've hit the thing twice EVER in close quarters, but pubbies just don't give a fuck and keep shooting it.

So play it kind of like a T-54? 

So play it kind of like a T-54? 

I don't think it turns well enough or has the dpm for that type of play. However, it is fast enough to take up some early positions and flex when needed.

I just bought back the IS-3 and god damn that thing feels like trash, not on the top gun yet but it just feels so damn inaccurate and unmanageable. This thing is a favorite for some people but i just dont see it at all. Might just have to stick to meds.  

IS-7 was my first tier 10 and for the most part, I love it. Tank alley in Himmelsdorf was made for the IS-7. Those rubble piles give perfect hull coverage and hitting your viewports is almost impossible for anything you'll face there. Aside from that, it's great because it has such a low profile that any and all small dips/rises in the ground make for perfect lower glacis protection. Sometimes I struggle a bit with the gun depression but I was raised on Russian heavies so I'm accustomed to it. Could do with a buff to the reload time to compete with the E-100 alpha, but overall, this is a solid tank.

The biggest struggle for me, though has been the somewhat low mobility and because the tank is fairly large and bleeds lots of speed when traversing, arty gets a boner when they see you.

It's cute how tomatoes just sit there and try to dig out a hull down IS-7. Barring the intervention of RNGesus, it ain't going to happen...

Well, then there's arty. RIP my crew as a T92 hits my turret roof and ruins an otherwise amazing game.

The gun though, I quite like the APCR. So used to everything slinging HEAT, it's a nice change and it's sufficient to dickpunch stuff like hull down JPEs and what not when you really need to. Wish I had gotten this thing ages ago so I'd be more experienced in it and less suck T-T

It's cute how tomatoes just sit there and try to dig out a hull down IS-7. Barring the intervention of RNGesus, it ain't going to happen...

Well, then there's arty. RIP my crew as a T92 hits my turret roof and ruins an otherwise amazing game.

The gun though, I quite like the APCR. So used to everything slinging HEAT, it's a nice change and it's sufficient to dickpunch stuff like hull down JPEs and what not when you really need to. Wish I had gotten this thing ages ago so I'd be more experienced in it and less suck T-T

I second that. It's also super fun going right through an E-100's frontal turret with APCR since tomatoes don't angle. Then trololo away as he inevitably bounces my turret/ufp

I haven't had an issue with the DPM. It is low, but the tank is so ridiculously hardy that you can afford to be in the battle for a long time. When you eventually run out of HP, you can usually get a good 3.5k out even in the worst of circumstances. Also haven't really gotten a chance to hulldown, now that I think about it... just brawling. Brawling in the IS-7 is a lot of fun. Its important to stay either relatively far away or very close up in the IS-7, mid range combat is sort of frustrating. When you do close the distance, however, you can pretty much guarantee most of your opponents are going to bounce you.

LFP is definitely not that stronk, on flat ground you have to roll fairly low to get T10 AP to bounce, and I've been penned by IS-3s with favorable angles. Still, it's not too hard to hide, it's not a big target, it still bounces shots here and there, and becomes really tough when you get close to your opponent. Not really a big deal.

Honestly, it's better than all the T10 heavies bar the E-100 and T57. The meta fits it like rainbow stockings fit me.

Hull down IS7, oh wait that's why i still carry 2 HE rounds, might be 100 odd damage (but 80% of the time enough for it to panic and make a mistake, so i can actually penetrate it, or enough for all the pubbies to load the 200 HE shels they carry, it's a slow messy way, but it's better than nothing).