Rexxie

IS-7 Exculpation Thread

496 posts in this topic

I think the last time I damaged an IS-7 without firing HEAT at it, it was because I failplatooned in a KV-2 and smacked him in the face for double-digit damage.

I kind of want an IS-7, since apparently it's [email protected] from what I'm seeing in this thread and I like the yolo.  But I don't fucking want to grind the heavy tank line, even with the on track, because I'm AIDS at heavy tanks

LFP is definitely not that stronk

no but its small with a HUGE strip of 270 armor on top, meaning that when going forward, just wiggle abit, and there is a good chance they just miss and hit UFP.

I just bought back the IS-3 and god damn that thing feels like trash, not on the top gun yet but it just feels so damn inaccurate and unmanageable. This thing is a favorite for some people but i just dont see it at all. Might just have to stick to meds.  

The BL-9 is the queen of the 122 guns, and makes the tank. Stick with it until you get it. Also remember that the mobility is only really for positioning - don't try to use it as you would a T-44, for example. If you want, Sploofy, I can show you how to IS-3 in a training room later.

Back on topic, I look forward to getting my IS-7. It seems sorta like an IS-3 on steroids, so I'm all for it!

I played one abbey match today, stupidly taking the advice of arty players and went low road. Made the mistake of trying to sidescape for defense instead of using the pre-placed dead tanks for hulldown and got raped. Was afraid 183 would find a way into my turret or switch to HE.

Anyway, what was interesting is how stupidly weak the IS-7's side armor is against people who know where to shoot it. This yellow IS-3, without touching APCR, penned me 4 times in a row without a care in the world. Twice through my lower glacis, twice while in sidescrape. Turns out the IS-7's 20mm floor armor curves upward and side hits can land there and overmatch it.

Not sure what to think. On one hand, getting my ass served by an IS-3 who didn't even bother with gold ammo is embarrassing and I'd rather not repeat that. On the other, the IS-7 usually sidescrapes very effectively. Ugh, I hate armor that varies between stupidly effective and stupidly thin based on what pixel the shot lands on .

Not sure what to think. On one hand, getting my ass served by an IS-3 who didn't even bother with gold ammo is embarrassing and I'd rather not repeat that. On the other, the IS-7 usually sidescrapes very effectively. Ugh, I hate armor that varies between stupidly effective and stupidly thin based on what pixel the shot lands on .

My experience with the IS-7 is that sometimes it's incredibly tough and other times it feels like butter.  A lot of its armor relies on good angles and you can't always maintain those ideal angles.  And even if you are positioned correctly there are still weak spots that will get penned if RNG favors the shooter.  Some games you wade into battle and bounce everything.  Other games you cower as round after round punches through you.

I played a few games in this last night and was reminded how poor the gun is.  The mediocre AP round combined with the poor ability to get the shell to hit on target makes it a bit frustrating for me.  Overall, I find the IS-7 fun to drive for a few games here or there but it's not something I want to play with any consistency.

I'd also take a FV 215b over an IS-7.  Far more effective damage output and more pleasant to drive.

On the other, the IS-7 usually sidescrapes very effectively. 

Does it? In my experience sidescraping gets me shot through the side of the front glacis that gets angled towards the opponent; it's really hard to keep that hidden unless you come out at an extremely steep angle, because of the front-mounted turret; and at that angle, your side armor is a joke. 

I've had much more success just rocking back and forth and baiting shots at either the steeply angled (due to elevation) lower plate, or the fairly effective frontal pike.

Yes, it usually works quite well. The weaker side of the pike is still going to be 260-270mm vs AP and you get to hide that LFP. Honestly I've bounced maybe two rounds off the LFP ever, so I like to go out of my way to minimize how often I show it. Shouldn't need to come out at that bad of an angle, the IS-7's turret is not placed that far forward.

Still, it fucked me over, so obviously there are situations where sidescraping in the IS-7 is a waste of time. I just feel so hopeless in my IS-7 against people who actually bother to aim, evidently it'll drive me to do stupid stuff like sidescrape in a t10 that can get penned by 220 pen guns so who knows.

Only got about 25 games in the IS-7 so far (all of them yesterday) but I'm not really reverse angling with it in city maps where I can't find debris, rubble, or tank carcasses to go hull down over.  Instead I've been sort of doing the same thing I do with my E3, just going straight-on with the building and basically splitting my tank in half so that there's only half of the front of my tank to shoot at.   This way I'm not lessening the frontal armor at all by angling, but only showing half the tank so presenting a smaller target.  

Otherwise as someone said earlier you either need to be in long range engagements where enemy tanks can't really aim for your LFP or you need to be right up in their face.  Barring that you need to be hull down or at the very least hiding as much LFP as possible without lessening the effectiveness of your pike armor.

I'm an extremely erratic player, but yesterday I played only IS-7 and STB-1 and I had the first consistent night I've had in probably 4 months.  I had no 0 damage games and less than 10% of my battles were potato.

The weaker side of the pike is still going to be 260-270mm vs AP and you get to hide that LFP.

And that is shit. Everything that is not autobounce or 300+ is not something I would bet on. All the newly introduced guns will pen that IS-7 50% of time with regular rounds. With sprem, well, it's laughable. Side armor is not something you can rely on, it's not strong, just trollish. And it trolls on both sides, as you already experienced.

And than there is the insanely low amount of HP... every tiny mistake you make will punish you dearly. There is the reason why IS-7 has an abysmal WR for the general population. As soon as you place your destiny in the hands of a really close RNG (which is what noobs do all the time) you are not much more than a steel coffin.

I just recently acquired an E100, and it's a much better heavy tank. It's reliable and I love that.

260-270 effective armor vs AP is fine as T10 is the only tier where practically every medium and heavy have the same pen, and that pen value just happens to be 250. Gold and TDs will go right through it, yeah, but the IS-7 doesn't really brawl with TDs. Heavy vs Heavy combat is stupidly common. Will take my chances sidescraping and getting my UFP penned by T10 HEAT over not sidescraping and having T8s rek my LFP.

Poor driver. He dies almost as much as my WZ-120 driver *-*

250 wat?

All the "new" heavy tanks have 258-259, "new" mediums have 264-268 pen, and destroyers have a ridiculous 300 pen value. And all old tanks with 230 ish pen are shooting HEAT/APCR anyway.

If you cannot sidescrape with autobounce angles than it is not safe. It's better than sitting in the open tho.

Yeah, I was just looking at the averages, forgot that the E-100 pulls it down so much.

Yeah, it's all about the angles, Rexxie. As dualmaster said, some games you'll bounce everything, and others you'll bounce nothing. But for the most part, level ground is best ground to abuse side scraping. Just try to maintain autobounce angles, and when you can't, pray they hit your spaced sides and bounce. All your space armor is fun against HEAT, tho. I've literally gone broadside to a TD throwing HEAT around and bounced him lelel

I just recently acquired an E100, and it's a much better heavy tank. It's reliable and I love that.

While I love my E-100, when I get tired of Tier 10 TDs chucking SPREM through my angled turret face I go hull down in my IS-7 and laugh maniacally at them TDs.

The 375 pen APCR on the american T10 TDs can go through the turret front - watch out for those.

The 375 pen APCR on the american T10 TDs can go through the turret front - watch out for those.

Didn't know that, thanks.

What equipment/skills do people use on the IS-7? I have very bipolar games with it... either they're amazing (well, for my standards anyway; no Mastery yet), or I just get shit all over. An IS-3 on Siegfried line two shot me earlier tonight... first dead frontal shot from ~20 m away lit me on fire. Automatic extinguisher woo! Second shot lights me on fire again and I died. I never even got a shot off on him because IS-3 reload is faster qq. Are fires a problem with the IS-7 now?

What equipment/skills do people use on the IS-7? I have very bipolar games with it... either they're amazing (well, for my standards anyway; no Mastery yet), or I just get shit all over. An IS-3 on Siegfried line two shot me earlier tonight... first dead frontal shot from ~20 m away lit me on fire. Automatic extinguisher woo! Second shot lights me on fire again and I died. I never even got a shot off on him because IS-3 reload is faster qq. Are fires a problem with the IS-7 now?

...Wow. A frontal fire for one? Never happened to me nor heard of one for the IS-7. No, they're not ultra common or anything. I wouldn't recommend taking shots to the rear, though, and I always carry an auto extinguisher.

Here you go. I'd probably trade off armorer, jack of all trades, controlled impact, and the two firefightings for camo if I redid this crew. Otherwise its fine.

-Edit-, see instead.

Here you go. I'd probably trade off armorer, jack of all trades, controlled impact, and the two firefightings for camo if I redid this crew. Otherwise its fine.

VCYfhuM.jpg

Optics on IS-7 #NoRegrets

(It Fucking Works, Seriously)

I forgo the optics in place of vents due to my yolo playstyle where I prefer to push lanes and engage typically under 200m. Usually don't need optics at all

imho the difference between optics/vents/gld as your third equipment piece doesn't really register, just pick something and go with it

I'm basically running the same setup as Rexxie with these differences; Deadeye and Preventative Maintenance, using a large repair kit instead of AFE. (I think this is like the RBS article if I remember right? Mebbe that was food...)

So far I've only had one fire in 30 games. This is the only other tank aside from the WZ-111 1-4 that I don't run an AFE on (which has had five or so fires in almost 700 games).

I agree about the last equipment spot though. I just keep optics on there because I feel like it helps me deal with all the hardcamping pubs that are always waiting in the bushes for me in the late game.

I wasn't using AFE myself for some time, and then i burned to death 2 games in a row! After that i carry it all the time, and I have been set on fire quite some times afterwards, so the AFE paid off.

Do not recommend going without it, at least not from my experience.