Rexxie

IS-7 Exculpation Thread

496 posts in this topic

no AFE on IS7?, hmm, when i pick my IS7 it echos in my head:

...but the rear is made of reinforced tissue paper. That’s also where your vodka using engine is....

That said, i played IS7 quite a lot in beta, so i still fear the ever returning fires (IS7 burned almost as much a Panther, and that was ``not so good``)

imho the difference between optics/vents/gld as your third equipment piece doesn't really register, just pick something and go with it

agreed

I don't run auto extinguisher either on the IS7. If I get flanked I'm doing it wrong

If you were to use that logic you wouldn't be able to run food on any tank

By taking food you're accepting the risk of being caught on fire when shot from a certain direction (assuming FE is what you replace). I'm willing to take that chance on rearmounted tanks because the frequency I get shot in the rear is exceedingly small, and even of those shots, only a select few will succeed in lighting me on fire. Most of the time it's when I'm screwed anyway, like surrounded from all sides

If you were to use that logic you wouldn't be able to run food on any tank

By taking food you're accepting the risk of being caught on fire when shot from a certain direction (assuming FE is what you replace). I'm willing to take that chance on rearmounted tanks because the frequency I get shot in the rear is exceedingly small, and even of those shots, only a select few will succeed in lighting me on fire. Most of the time it's when I'm screwed anyway, like surrounded from all sides

The YOLO is weak in this one

Didn't know that, thanks.

Also watch out for 368(?) pen 128mm APCR shells from Jagdtigers and waffles. In desperate reset cap situations I've loaded them before and punched through right next to the gun... Which also happened to knock the gunner out

Don't get into CQC combat with these tanks, especially if you know they're firing sprem.

IS-7 at its worst:

539942269c81a559f6010000.jpg

539942169c81a559f7010000.jpg

At least "its worst" is limited to its accuracy. Still, this was a really frustrating session. The game before these was a Himmelsdorf game in which a T32, on flat ground, in close combat, with AP, penned my LFP. Between my gun accuracy, my IS-7 winrate finally raising above red, and how easily every shitlord pens me, I have to remind myself rng is not rigged.

The lower glacis, 275~mm effective armour against HEAT is the only real weak spot, and even as a weak spot, it’s still absurdly strong. Only T10 TDs can penetrate it reliably with AP, though all T10s can penetrate it with HEAT – provided they don’t roll below average.

Kewei, you're full of shit.

Yeah, I bounce a shot off the lower glacis MAYBE 1 in every 75 battles. And that's because of an absurd angle against some tier 7. I get penned there every time someone shoots at me there.

When I'm having good games, those are the ones when armor is being nice to me, they are still frustrating because of that gun accuracy/aim time/bloom (call it whatever you want, fact is - it sux).

Last night on Malikinovka I was on hill in IS-7 from east spawn.  Started up top by buildings but couldn't push so I dropped down to the lower part of the hill with the big rock.  I started flanking and killed 2 Tier 8s leaving just a T34, Lowe, and IS-7 for me and an E5 to deal with.  I pushed into the T34 to take him out.  He was something along the lines of a 500 wn8 player so i didn't really take him seriously.  He was up above me on the west side of the hill.  I pointed straight at him and was looking up at his LFP and penning him every time.  Problem was he was looking down on me, and he was penning MY LFP with AP shells every single time.  I was flabbergasted honestly.  I ended up backing off a bit and calling arty to finish him off so that I had enough HPs left to face hug the Lowe while killing the IS-7.  At first I had thought he was penning me in my headlights or maybe even turret roof, but I could clearly see where he was penning the LFP.  Honestly should have been an autobounce angle, or not even possible.

Oh well, won the hill anyways and got finished off by arty.  Luckily our Obj 140 was competent and got 8 kills, 8k dmg for the win.

omfg this ammorack

twice today I've been 1-shot

Haven't been 1-shot racked yet in mine but pretty much every time a headlight gets penned, it's rack damaged.

On the other hand, I've rack killed two IS-7s in the JPE-100 by penning the headlights the past couple days, but I never seem to 'just' damage the rack by hitting them there (in any tank) like what happens to me.

I've felt this way for a while now. I was even wondering why Garbad rated it so low on his Tier 10 heavies rating, but after he tried it out again, he bumped it up two or three points.

The bad gun handling balances out with its top speed and armor. You can't have that kind of troll-ish armor and a good gun.

I've had success in pubs by using it to push and then shooting at very close ranges. It's funny to see pubs angle their IS-7s though.

The game before these was a Himmelsdorf game in which a T32, on flat ground, in close combat, with AP, penned my LFP. Between my gun accuracy, my IS-7 winrate finally raising above red, and how easily every shitlord pens me, I have to remind myself rng is not rigged.

To selfquote ^^

is7.png

IS7 lfp is weak, E75 has more reliable / better lfp armor -.-

Safe stowage is a must. Even then, I find myself getting racked a lot. If you're willing to give up AFE, then you can run double repair kits. Not to mention my driver is consistently buying the farm. But I usually don't get more than one dead crew member in a game unless some tomato arty starts focusing me. >>

Haven't been 1-shot racked yet in mine but pretty much every time a headlight gets penned, it's rack damaged.

On the other hand, I've rack killed two IS-7s in the JPE-100 by penning the headlights the past couple days, but I never seem to 'just' damage the rack by hitting them there (in any tank) like what happens to me.

My understanding is that the IS-7 ammo rack has a pretty high HP pool, so it basically takes a high damage TD gun to 1-shot rack it. Your medium and heavy (excluding E-100) tanks can damage the ammo rack but can't destroy it on one shot.

twice today I've been 1-shot

It serves you right to suffer, after recommending Adrenaline Rush over Safe Stowage.  :tongue:

Definitely, safe stowage is super important on the IS-7. Pretty much makes you 1-shot immune. Didnt know it had that problem when I first geared it up, though, and didn't notice it get damaged at all during my first session.

qBmPtOI.jpg

Ended with this loadout, been swapping between vents and optics to see which I like better. Optics is nice and all, but jackque is right - the IS-7 purposely puts itself in situations that pretty much demand view range mean nothing. You drive forward into a brawl zone, click bad guys, die, repeat. Then again... it's vents, I'm not even sure if they are doing anything.

I also revamped some of the crew skills, as my KV-5 stuff wasn't optimal:

Commander didn't change, I quite like Jack of All Trades because the IS-7 loses its driver very often, and arty splash can wreck all kinds of havoc with the crewmembers. Having this skill makes it bearable.

On the gunner, I traded out Armorer for Designated Target, pushing Snap Shot into the 4th slot instead of the 3rd so I don't have an unfinished perk. Designated Target is meh, but with the IS-7's aimtime it can be useful to have those precious extra seconds to let the reticule settle on a distant target. Armorer is great for the KV-5 but useless for the IS-7. Your mantlet and turret front is nearly invulnerable, you'll only lose your gun to people shooting it on accident. In other words, its exceedingly rare.

On the driver, I swapped Controlled Impact for Offroad. The IS-7 is probably the best vehicle in the game to use this skill on, as the terrain resistance on it is horrific. Because of that, you gain some serious benefits from Offroad. Controlled Impact is fun (and probably somewhat more useful for the KV-5), but the IS-7 doesn't really do rams. They'd require it to get off its lazy deadbeat ass.

Loader got a big change. The first loaders now has safe stowage and camo instead of Adrenaline Rush and Firefighting. Adrenaline rush isn't that bad and I'd certainly like to have it, but Bobi is right, safe stowage is an absolute necessity. The IS-7's ammorack has 210 HP. Guess what the module damage is of your typical 750 dmg T10 TD? 210. The second loader now has Sit. Awareness and Camo instead of Intuition and Firefighting. This one is obvious, sit aware is pretty good and intuition is more of a quality-of-life thing than an actual useful crew skill.

Lastly, more APCR and HE. Eurofags gunna whine, but damn is it useful. Hulldown E-100s and opposing IS-7s are among the most common targets you'll fight, and APCR is definitely a huge advantage there. I kept running out. HE because fuck waffles and I wanted my ammo counts to be nice n even <3

What's the aim time on that gun? Wouldn't GLD be a useful replacement for vents?

Vents buffs mobility also quite a bit (more as the 2.2% would indicate imo) + vent buffs rld a little and accuracy, IS7 is poor in all those regards

Aimtime is 3.9. Thanks to sovjiet stronk turret dispersion, I rarely bother aiming for more than a second. Don't think GLD would be as useful as I'd like it to be, but everyone does things differently.

Is there some magical spot on the front of the turret that you can shoot with HE to do moderate amounts of damage?

While hull down I had an E4 do it, seemed to be doing a fair amount of damage considering he wasn't doing anything previously. So I tried it later in my JPE against a hull down IS-7 - and it hit for over 500 and killed him o_o I was aiming straight at his gun/mantlet, but there was a lot of bush/smoke obscuring him so I'm not really sure what part of his turret I hit. Was expecting more like 200-400 considering I've hit the superstructure of a JPE for that much while messing around, and that's much less tricky to land a hit on a 'good' spot.

skill choices

The choice of designated target is odd since you just explained how you skipped optics due to fighting where view range doesn't matter.  Designated target only works if you're doing your own spotting in which case it would make more sense to combine it with optics.  I'd rather have Deadeye or go max Snap Shot with armorer.

Camo is pretty pointless - you're talking 2-3 meters difference in being spotted.  Not that there's a ton of better skills, but I'd at least put SA on the loader with 68% camo and replace SA with adrenaline rush on the other one.  At least adrenaline will be useful once in a while.