Rexxie

IS-7 Exculpation Thread

496 posts in this topic

I'd rather have designated target than 30% of snap shot. The IS-7 innately gets very good turret dispersion values (like all IS tanks) so snap shot isn't really doing much at all. 30% of snapshot would be practically nothing. Even if the ranges aren't exactly great for designated target, there are still going to be 100x as many situations where it matter in comparison to that last 30% of snapshot.

Deadeye, unless it works differently than I've been told, does absolutely nothing. 2% increased chance to damage a module? I'd rather have a skill that doesn't proc a likely useless effect once every 7 games.

You can take Adrenaline Rush if you have lots of skills. But almost everything is better than AR on a tank with the least HPs in its class.  :beard:

Found it is can be one of the fastest tanks in the game. Went over the hill south on El Halluf and passed the mediums on the way down. 73kmph  I was rather amused by this.

Vents buffs mobility also quite a bit (more as the 2.2% would indicate imo) + vent buffs rld a little and accuracy, IS7 is poor in all those regards

Aimtime is 3.9. Thanks to sovjiet stronk turret dispersion, I rarely bother aiming for more than a second. Don't think GLD would be as useful as I'd like it to be, but everyone does things differently.

Right, didn't know the aimtime was 2.9. Or about the dispersion. Vents probably is the better choice then, from the sounds of it...

Oyhhc9q.jpg

I've recently ran this loadout for a few weeks now. Almost full APCR with the exception of 2 HE (considering having 3) for waffles mainly. I never used GLD on the IS7 despite the 3.4s aim time for some reason. I think vents is better for obvious reasons. If i was to have a more normal ammo loadout I'd probably do something similar to what Rexxie has. 

My main concern is with my 4th skill being firefighting. I did this so I could run food on the tank along with BiA and vents.I only really considered having clutch braking as my driver's 4th skill and armourer/designated target for my gunner, but in the end I wanted all of them to have firefighting. 

I wanted to know if it's even worth having firefighting as a 4th skill to run food in the event that if I do get lit, I won't be as crippled. Obviously, there's the whole argument where if you don't get lit then it's a useless skill.

EDIT: I did some testing with how much damage I take with firefighting at that skill level. From only a sample of 4 fires, the damage I received were:

415, 450, 436, 421. So about on average with my firefighting skill I take roughly ~20% of my hp in damage.

Right, didn't know the aimtime was 2.9. Or about the dispersion. Vents probably is the better choice then, from the sounds of it...

Not sure what everyone else is playing, but my IS-7 has 3.4s aim time

Not sure what everyone else is playing, but my IS-7 has 3.4s aim time

That changes it again. :P I'd use a GLD then. Fuck that aimtime.

I'm still running mine with Vert/Rammer/Optics.

The amount of times I have to scout for pansy pubbie scum has practically turned it into a requirement *-*

IS-7 Murovanka magical forest scout is pretty epic though.

Still really enjoy the tank, but it's an all or nothing one for me. Either great games or utter shit. Must learn2IS-7

I can't beleive i just read 5 pages of IS_7 that didn't imply this tank explodes on match start.  50% of my neg reps come from defending this thing as "not absolutly the worst idea since HItler invaded the USSR" that seems to be in flavor.

Anwhoo I picked up this from Rexxie.

On the driver, I swapped Controlled Impact for Offroad. The IS-7 is probably the best vehicle in the game to use this skill on, as the terrain resistance on it is horrific. Because of that, you gain some serious benefits from Offroad. Controlled Impact is fun (and probably somewhat more useful for the KV-5), but the IS-7 doesn't really do rams. They'd require it to get off its lazy deadbeat ass.

because i can coonfirm from my long IS-7 driving career to be a very valid point. offroad definitly worthwhile.

Im so undecided on this tank. On one hand, my performance and winrate has been really solid, but on the other I'm having a hard time finding a reason for why that'd be. By all accounts, its pretty poor. The gun is terrible - it seems okay because in brawling situations it's not all that much worse than your average T10 gun, but then the moment I have to shoot some long range shots I'll miss 10 times in a row or my shells will home in on massively well armored parts of otherwise thin tanks and I remember why this is the worst t10 cannon.

I mean, yeah, the armor is good, but it's not that good. Certainly not good enough that it can prop up the gun. The side armor is absolute trash and the lower glacis is very weak considering you can't angle it. The reliance of slope ruins your HE protection, the piked nose means you can't afford to not be pointing at your opponent if you want to bounce, and it's rather amazing at making APCR and HEAT show up.

I dont know, maybe the turret/mobility/punch combination is all it takes to be a winrate farmer, but when looking at it from a "do the pros outweigh the cons" standpoint, it's pretty bad.

Im so undecided on this tank. On one hand, my performance and winrate has been really solid, but on the other I'm having a hard time finding a reason for why that'd be. By all accounts, its pretty poor. The gun is terrible - it seems okay because in brawling situations it's not all that much worse than your average T10 gun, but then the moment I have to shoot some long range shots I'll miss 10 times in a row or my shells will home in on massively well armored parts of otherwise thin tanks and I remember why this is the worst t10 cannon.

I mean, yeah, the armor is good, but it's not that good. Certainly not good enough that it can prop up the gun. The side armor is absolute trash and the lower glacis is very weak considering you can't angle it. The reliance of slope ruins your HE protection, the piked nose means you can't afford to not be pointing at your opponent if you want to bounce, and it's rather amazing at making APCR and HEAT show up.

I dont know, maybe the turret/mobility/punch combination is all it takes to be a winrate farmer, but when looking at it from a "do the pros outweigh the cons" standpoint, it's pretty bad.

This basically

IS7 is simply not good, it might win games, but its not good, the first few games it seems rly nice, and you (atleats i did) blame bad shots / unlucky pens as bad luck, but its not bad luck, the armor is rly not that good, the gun does sucks balls and the mobility is also mweah...

E5 was and is simply superior to IS7, gun depression, same mobility (unless downhill) and a 2x better gun are worth much more as a situational turret armor advantage and hullarmor which only works vs AP (E5 can atleast bounce low pen gold shells / HEAT / troll bounce big AP shells, IS7 cant...)

In a server far away, in a galaxy far away, in a time most forgotten I played the is7. It netted me 68% wr. It was by far the biggest bully of a t10 I ever drove. It was also around the time some people were starting to whine about it being bad meta. I laughed, since my results proved them wrong.

For laughs, since it was on track, I played it again. As you can see, im punching my monitor right now for ever clicking battle.

I cannot help but step back and think, is it me, have I completely forgotten how to play the dumb proof tank of t10 or is it something else...

20 games, 40% wr, terrible under 2k dpg. Basically, tomato. Much wow.

So as I look at that I still can't figure out wtf has changed.. Why suddenly can I not play that tank?  From those games I gathered these self notes

- its slow as shit, even with 5skill crew. for some reason, it feels terribly sluggish. which I know it is not, but it feels that way.

- has no armor. everyfuckingthing pens me. frontally. m48 pattons rape my pike diligently. e100s right into my upper plate... welp.

- reload is too high, dpm low. cannot return fire fast enough to save my ass

- maps have changed and the size + lack of gun depression is hurting me. I find struggling to locate good spots

- I have become a far less aggressive player (the chai has rubbed off on me) which is illogical for this tank.

diagnosis: I cannot play the tank anymore.

RX: ??????????? welp!

cliffs: forgot how to play a tank you did great in before. how to fix

edit jul 12th: im getting back into it, it appears. I was too tame in it. I forgot I have to bully my way around the map in that thing.

Do you think one can enjoy the IS7 while not liking the IS3 ? I mean, I hear people saying IS7 is a big IS3, and the IS3 is the tier 8 I played I enjoyed the less, allways been worst than t32 for me as I felt like the armor of IS3 was too random. I tested it on test server but well.. hard to say with prem rounds flying all over the place and people not even trying to angle their armor, hard to test the armor or the gun...

Any recomendation would be welcome :)

Do you think one can enjoy the IS7 while not liking the IS3 ? I mean, I hear people saying IS7 is a big IS3, and the IS3 is the tier 8 I played I enjoyed the less, allways been worst than t32 for me as I felt like the armor of IS3 was too random. I tested it on test server but well.. hard to say with prem rounds flying all over the place and people not even trying to angle their armor, hard to test the armor or the gun...

Any recomendation would be welcome :)

I love the IS7 and absolutely 100% despise the IS3.  The only real similarities between the two is that they are both pike nosed and relatively fast in a straight line.  The IS3 has shit armor, and easily overmatched turret roof, and on top of that it's one big giant ammo rack waiting to be destroyed with every shot.

i wish they'd lower the ground resistance of the is-7, if it could be as quick as the is-8 muhahaha

running rammer/vert/gld

Still a fickle beast.

14 shots out, 100% hit rate, only 1 fail to pen, all with AP. Hitting ridiculous crap like cupolas when partially aimed or moving. No one can pen me.

Next game, miss 100% of shots, mostly fully aimed. Rhmba snapshots MY PERISCOPE as I'm driving into cover. The fuck.

This tank is such a troll to its own driver.

and on top of that it's one big giant ammo rack waiting to be destroyed with every shot.

This could be said about the IS-7 too.

I rarely get ammo racked in the IS-7 with safe stowage on loader.  IS-3 with safe stowage still gets racked about every other game.

If only that were the problem:

2d8otxt.jpg

I've resolved all of my IS-3 related issues though by not playing that pile of trash.  110 master race.

I've yet to have my rack blown in the 7, but damaged a handful of times. I was worried about it considering the number of times I've blown the rack on a 7 from the front. I guess I don't show much below my turret if I can help it though, and people are always blasting the LFP if they can see it rather than going for the headlights.

If only that were the problem:

2d8otxt.jpg

I've resolved all of my IS-3 related issues though by not playing that pile of trash.  110 master race.

Very strange. My IS-3 doesn't get racked very often at all, and I get shot pretty much exclusively in the UFP in those areas.

It's a great tank, but its performance is mostly map-dependent. If you get Himmels or Ruinberg, enjoy the easy carry. Prok or Malinovka, and you can probably just back out and play a different tank.

The gun is mediocre but it's honestly not unworkable. As long as you're in a brawling situation it's very capable. The 490 alpha also makes trades with 390/400 alpha tanks a valid tactic. Its only real drawback is lack of long-range viability (long aim-time and sorta low accuracy) and crappy APCR (only 300-ish pen).

The armor counts for more than people give it credit for. The LFP is 250~ effective, so RNG comes heavily into play for most medium/heavy standard AP, and it's more capable than almost any other tank at bullying tier 8 and 9 vehicles.

Another thing people don't really seem to appreciate about it is its combination of good all-around armor and good mobility. Not many tanks get both of these traits, and it's part of what makes it such a good brawler.