Treeburst

Fine... T-10 appreciation thread

220 posts in this topic

I'm a fan so far.

30 games in, not quite all the way upgraded yet (don't have tracks, so I'm using the equipment to mount the turret and gun). DPG is ~2250 or so, so far. Turret armor seems kinda ok-ish, although not super reliable. Hull armor seems good against tier 8 and low pen tier 9 guns if you are dead on to them with the lower glacius plate covered.

I haven't really scaled well with the increase in community skill, I've slipped to where I'm probably just baaaarreeely a purple. But this game is a great example of "purple play" in the IS-8.

By the way, does anyone know of any better place to go on that map than where I went? I go there in mediums and fast heavies, but I feel like I sort of get stuck there for a while.

http://www.wotreplays.com/site/934231#el_halluf-treeburst-is-8

For the IS-8, that's probably as good of a spot as you're going to get, although you might want to go into the grinder or hug the backside of the center hill when you're top tier. Great job =)

180+ pen will go through the lower plate almost every time.

220+ pen will go through the upper plate very often.

I liked the speed and turret, but other then that it felt pretty mediocre.

It is basically a faster IS-3 with a bigger gun. The armor is slightly worse tier wise however.

i've seen people saying that the eng makes a massive difference, but its only 50 hp difference, is the difference really that noticable? and as the for the turret, is the top plate a weak spot as it was on the is 3?

120mm guns can overmatch the very top of the roof, but the spot is pretty small. Pretty tough roof otherwise.

i've seen people saying that the eng makes a massive difference, but its only 50 hp difference, is the difference really that noticable? and as the for the turret, is the top plate a weak spot as it was on the is 3?

Adding 50 horsepower to a 700 HP engine is only a 8-9% increase, so I don't expect it will help much. The suspension upgrade will make a much bigger difference than the engine.

I'm close of using free exp for the gun because so far stock its really bad, I don't know but the IS3 was way better.

The IS-8 is carcinogenic I swer on me mum. I am a baddie but srs this thing makes my stats in other tanks look unicum. hfjaklsfhskjs I am completely stock and was counting on free xp from soccer to tide me over to the upgraded tracks, turret if not the gun. But a BL-9 has a hard time in tier 10 games. Now with dingus crew and less armour, what in RNGesus's name can I do?!!!?!!!11!!?!!one!!

well its certainly not the worst stock grind, hell this is being one of the easiest t9 stock grind apart from the m103....

Welcome to the IS8 fanclub. It is very exclusive and quite empty. As we collect more fans, we hope to expand to a bigger lounge at  Russian bias international.

Engine you wont be able to feel. I always go gun > tracks > turret > engine on the is8. Must have the gun.

Alright what am I doing wrong in this thing? It should play exactly like an IS-3, but with a beefier gun. However, I am getting slapped down in it when I try to battle other heavies and side scrapping so far seems fairly ineffective against even tier 8 heavy guns. Did fine for like 5 battles, and now I'm at ~30 battles but only 50% win with this thing. I can't seem to avoid swapping HP with other heavies when I fight them on city maps, and the gun depression makes this tank horrible when you draw El Halluf or other maps that the terrain where heavies need to go fight is uneven.

normally, i expect everything to pen me, so when i shoot; i reveal as little of me as possible, so far im being able to do at least 2k before the match ends or i go down....., im going to have to get the tracks first since i mounted a gun laying drive and a rammer.

got the gun and tracks, and this thing is ultra awesome, gun just goes through everything, so far one  of my fav t9 heavies, armour still crap, hoping upgraded turret is somewhat better.

is8armorschematicsA11GW.jpg

Just finished the grind today and directly sold the IS-8. This tank really is a slug. Neither speed nor armor and the DPM of the gun is too low for a tank that has nothing else but it's gun.

I have an incredible luck with this tank, after 25 battles my win ratio is 72%. I have only tracks,  BL-9 from IS-3 and  after I read here how bad this tank is, I played so conservative and for me this kind of approach seems to work for this tank. IS-8 don’t excel in anything, but my luck in it is unbelievable.

Praise God to stay like this in future J as I’m grinding the gun.    

It seems like a pretty good medium-heavy, so far. My stats aren't stellar in it, but I'm at 1012 avg XP and 67% WR after 60~ battles (and over half of those were with stock engine and turret).

Upgraded engine doesn't seem like much of an improvement at first glance (a mere 50hp more), but it makes the difference between being slightly slower HP/t-wise than an elite IS-3, and slightly faster, so definitely worth upgrading; But not before literally everything else sans radio (assuming you didn't get the elite radio on one of the earlier tanks).

The turret for example doesn't seem like that big of an upgrade, with a mere 80-ish DPM difference when mounting the top gun, but it's the HP, view range, and aim-time that really make it great: having less than 400VR at tier 9 is a serious handicap in the view range meta that some maps still possess, the 100HP often makes the difference between getting wiped from one high-rolling drum from a 50-120/50B/57/54E1, and the aim-time goes from an abysmal 3.2s, to a slow-albeit-much-more-manageable 2.7s.

I run vstab, rammer, and GLD. Some people are strong advocates of dropping the GLD in favor of optics, but I find the GLD helps more with snapshots. Your garbage heavy camo values aren't going to allow you to win many view range fights anyway, and knocking the aim-time down to 2.5s makes it more competitive with the peak-a-boom shot trading. I just brought up my IS-3/IS-6 crew, so skills are individual (SS on cmdr)>BiA (I used repair until 100% then gold retrained to BiA)> Repair. Will probably take either more individual skills for #4, or maybe firefighting so I can drop the fire extinguisher in favor of double repair or maybe food.

The fact that this is a medium-heavy cannot be stressed enough. You need to very frequently flank, and get shots of opportunity on opponents who aren't looking. Your armor wont save you from much, although if you can get into a position to hide your LFP, your wedge UFP will bounce most T8 med/heavy guns unless they high roll. Angling the hull reduces the UFP cheeks from 220-260 effective, to around 170-ish, so don't do that when you can help it, but also remember that your LFP is what people will aim for anyway, when they can help it. Your turret is much more capable than the IS-3s, because the biggest weakpoint for the IS-3, the huge triple overmatched 20mm roof plate is now a much smaller/harder to hit 40mm roof plate that, unlike the 20mm IS-3 roof plate (which 75mms can triple overmatch and pen), will now autobounce 105s and lower. So if you can manage the paltry -5 depression, getting hull down positions (such as in piles of rubble on city maps) can be very beneficial.

Also, it's important to understand your reload speed in relation to your opponents, to know when you can HP trade, and when you can squeeze an extra shot in after you and your opponent fire. You will out-reload IS-3s, ST-Is, and even IS-7s and IS-4s (though the IS-4 only marginally), but you reload slower than M103s, E5s, Conqs, and 215Bs.

Your turret is much more capable than the IS-3s, because the biggest weakpoint for the IS-3, the huge triple overmatched 20mm roof plate is now a much smaller/harder to hit 40mm roof plate that, unlike the 20mm IS-3 roof plate (which 75mms can triple overmatch and pen), will now autobounce 105s and lower. So if you can manage the paltry -5 depression, getting hull down positions (such as in piles of rubble on city maps) can be very beneficial.

This cannot be stressed enough. The IS-8 because very hard to pen when it goes hull down, and, failing that, manages to put some slope on the ufp. I'm looking forward to mine.

K. Remember when I said the IS-8 was carcinogenic. Well. I was wrong it turns out. I got it fully upgraded and more importantly got used to playing it and now I like it! Very balanced and fun. Can't wait for IS-7.

Due to the no camo, all brawling new meta I feel like the IS-8 is an ideal "medium". You can get places before other heavies, and almost as fast as other mediums. The gun is great for it's tier. And the turret and sides let you bounce lots of shots.

I'm grinding this just for the IS-7, and have been putting it off for over a year. Right now is definitely a good time to play this tank.

I really like my IS-8, so far. Its my first Tier IX, Solopubbed about ~60ish Games with a Winrate of nearly 60%.

Somewhat i was disappointed of the many posts on the forums that this tank is one of the worst Tier IX tanks.

Oh hell no. 

I'm currently on a pretty good way to be better in WoT and my Wn8 and Winrate are going everyday a little bit more up.

With the IS-8 im pretty much boosting my Wn8 and can deal lots of Damage which helps the team and maybe will end up in a win.

I really like the Top Gun on this tank with the good pen and damage output. The speed is somewhat good, you can easily reach 40kph and follow some mediums when they are trying to rush to a position. 

The Armor is not the greatest, so i play it mostly hulldown if possible, because the turret is pretty bouncy, unless a rly big gun shoots you.

I wouldnt mind to sell this tank, its so much fun for me.

is8armorschematicsA11GW.jpg

Just finished the grind today and directly sold the IS-8. This tank really is a slug. Neither speed nor armor and the DPM of the gun is too low for a tank that has nothing else but it's gun.

Agree, (i still suck in high tier battles, so my opinion is absolutely not relevant), but remember IS8 grind as a torture and at last I sold it with no regrets.

it's not that bad if you platoon or take advantage from your allies tomatoes to take the shot for you

I just started the grind, only 36 games played 56% WR, 900 average XP, 1800 damage average per game

Free XPed the gun, it's not as bad as i could think ...

I am still doing horribly in this tank. My win rate (55) is about on par with what I'd expect, but I feel like my scrub ass is getting carried much more. I've finally gotten the top gun, but not having the other modules leaves the tank rather sluggish. On top of that, the gun behaves derpier to me than any of the preceding ones. I think a large part of my struggles come from not having adjusting my play style to fit the tank and its current shortcomings. I probably pay too much attention to the medium part of heavium, and frequently find myself out of the engagement when things move quickly. Since i don't enjoy playing it, I play it for doubles and not much else. Probably doesn't help me adjust, either.

Only my unwillingness to eat the loss is keeping me from selling it to fund my climb up the T57 tree at this point. Hoping for greener pastures ahead!