Treeburst

Fine... T-10 appreciation thread

245 posts in this topic

The gun on the IS-8 is actually pretty non-derpy, from what I've experienced. I have on occasion sat back and done the whole draw-distance sniping thing in it, in tier 10 games.

I don't really have a metric for what a decent performance would be to aim for in it. I was around 2200 DPG in it, that is falling off a bit as I've been platooning a lot more this past week.

The gun on the IS-8 is actually pretty non-derpy, from what I've experienced. I have on occasion sat back and done the whole draw-distance sniping thing in it, in tier 10 games.

I don't really have a metric for what a decent performance would be to aim for in it. I was around 2200 DPG in it, that is falling off a bit as I've been platooning a lot more this past week.

I am probably having that experience because I have been finding myself in situations where I needed to shoot at smallish targets without aiming down fully. Culminating in a performance on the Campinovka hill where 7 or 8 relatively aimed shots from ~150m went sailing, and the one that did hit bounced off the turret of a 54e1. It's almost certainly all down to me not having adjusted to it yet. It's sluggish with stock engine and tracks, and I just have not been able to compensate properly so far.

first game in is8 overmatched on my up graded turret just above gun BY EVERYTHING THAT LOOKED AT ME AT FKING SUPERPERSHING PUT AP THROUGH MY UPPER TURRET.so rage has subsided and anyone that defends this turret is clearly coming down from an acid binge, now i have to grind out the engine and try to get through this teir 9 medium

Lots of conflicting opinions on this tank...anyone else have any views on whether this is a viable solopub tank, or should I just grind "free" xp in the IS-6 and pass it up? 

after 92 games my opinion is this: its a great gun mounted on a exceptionally weak superstructure with good speed. it cannot compete toe for toe with the STI and E75 however it holds its own against the M103. speaking for myself here i have trouble carrying games because 98% of things that shoot you will pen you can hull down to some extent but its got nothing on the hull down reliability of the is3. it can sidescrape rather well but be careful i just came out of a game reverse sidescraping a tortise he fired 7 shots last one penned me and that was ammorack/can opener so watch out for your ammorack if you like reverse sidescraping. so you bascially end up with a tank that tries to be a medium and a heavy but fails at both. not a keeper for me.

I should actually offer you guys lessons in the IS8.

You CAN destroy sti/e75 one on one absolutely yes!

Lots of conflicting opinions on this tank...anyone else have any views on whether this is a viable solopub tank, or should I just grind "free" xp in the IS-6 and pass it up? 

I'll answer your question with a question. How good are you in the is3? I mean post nerf is3, not the old is3...

64% is3

63% is8 (64% atm  because I platooned padded it today out of lack of another t9 to play)

but if you are like say 50% in the is3, you will likely struggle to hit 40% in the is8.... from what I've noticed on people's records when I look at them after a battle

i would really appreciate any help with this tank. im currently at 2.2k dpg in it but i have a lot of trouble fighting one on one. do you have any replays or such i could look at?

I put some up at 5am. I scanned them at 16x, not sure what they actually show. Couple of things that repeat though

1. always aware of when enemy has fired. sometimes ill take a shot in order to get a kill shot however

2. I take blind shots

3. Never hesitate to go to prem rounds

4. I move a lot

5. I play front line but will bait teammates to actually catch up to me and poke out, with some exceptions

6. most games are landslide either way on NA it seems

7. long range shots? take them.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zsmrjsxeuoik6n8/replays.rar

This is slowly growing on me.

The gun handling is a surprise, it's actually quite good. I never realised the aim time goes to 2.7 from 3.2 with the upgraded turret either. Now I am looking forward to it even more. Speed is nice, moves good and hits hard. Considering everyone and their dog can hit my E75s cupola at any range ever and never bounce I'm not hugely fussed about how everyone can pen it. Trick is not getting hit, which it has the mobility to do. It then has the HP of a tier 9 HT to use as armour end-game. Feels quite flexible, looking forward to trying it more.

Now the IS7 is looking great though, I always thought it looked mediocre for a ten.

the turret isnt as bad as you guys make it out to be, and the is 3s turret was cheese for skilled players considering the plastic roof it has, is-3 i had 57% and on the is-8 54%, not the greatest but its good enough for me considering even t7s pen my hull. 

Almost done with the grind and at 72% wr, and ~2750 dpg in 79 games, all solo. The only question is if I get my third mark before I finish. I'm at 90% now with 20k xp to go. If anyone cares I could post a replay pack of my 9.3 games in it.

Here are two replays I've had in the last few days:

http://wotreplays.com/site/1232752#fiery_salient-legedi-is-8 - In this game I go up against two -G- batchats, and end up with 4500 damage and 4700 spotted damage. This game is why I use optics on the IS-8. I might have crap camo, but I play it a lot like a medium, especially in T10 games.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1240828#lakeville-legedi-is-8 - Here I'm top tier with only two T9 per team. So I push aggressively (too aggressively really and I think I'm screwed in city). But I make the armor and dpm of the tank work, and pull through at the end. This shows how to bully low tier tanks, even though I don't do it often on this tank.

I free XP'd the tracks and engine. Had the gun unlocked from the is4 line. Is it possible to grind thid thing without the turret? I'm probably not going to keep it unless i love it because I already have the m103. I just don't want to waste the xp if I dont need to.

I'm digging this tank - my one question is should I bother spending the exp for the top turret and engine or not?  I like the speed of it already (of course more is always better) and not sure what the top turret even does for me, buffed roof maybe?  Listed stats are almost the same as stock turret w slighty better vision.  Are the ~55k credits for those two upgrades worth putting off the is7?  I'm not sure.  btw I've been running rammer/gld/binocs as a sniper set up just so I can hang back and sniper a bit when I know I'm outclassed w bigger tier 9s and 10s.  Outvisioned an E75 recently and sniped his cupola at range twice while I was waiting for him safely out of his view range so I know that is working (love this gun).  Doubt that I'd be better off w/ optics because I'm not running around a lot w/ this thing even in tier 9 matches.  But everybody here who's waaaay better than me says differently so that makes me wonder. 

All comments appreciated cheers!

Yes turret.

It improves your HP, view range, reload & gun handling.

Edit: Yep I officially hate this shiteheap tank. It's just utterly worthless on some maps, and when you factor in the quality of the usual playerbase you need a 9 that can contribute. This can't. The lack of gun depression is just worthless. 

Throw in arty + being blue and you're just a big fucking pinata of free xp and credits. 

Yes turret.

It improves your HP, view range, reload & gun handling.

Edit: Yep I officially hate this shiteheap tank. It's just utterly worthless on some maps, and when you factor in the quality of the usual playerbase you need a 9 that can contribute. This can't. The lack of gun depression is just worthless. 

Throw in arty + being blue and you're just a big fucking pinata of free xp and credits. 

honestly the lack of gun depression is not what holds this tank back in any way. in fact it has average gun dep for a russian, and better than the china heavies. 5 deg is perfectly workable. The issue with the tank is that it's more of a Hedium than anything else. It has pretty good speed and agility, the gun is very good for it's role, but it has no armor other than the turret, and that roof gets overmatched like that's it's job. troll bounces or rushed shots are really the only things you're going to bounce, you can't rely on the armor at all. you can't really sidescrape because that side of your pike then drops below 200 effective vs AP.

It's not a shitheap, but it's not a solopub star. I've had good success with it running with Servios in his 4502B. He eats the shells and I help DPM stuff down/prevent him from getting rushed and circled.

What about our 3x IS-8 shenanigans with Haswell? You two eat the shots while I steal the High Caliber <3

you mean you both side back and watch me die to farm some more damage before the zerg turns to you?

I find the mobility lacking, but then again I do not have the top engine. The HP gain seemed insignificant.

Unless that makes it turn alot faster I'm freexping past it. The moment I get lit late-game and arty is still alive it's gg. It's not sprightly enough to turn into a weird angle so arty has a field day leading shots on you. It's hellishly frustrating. Doesn't help arty seems to be a regular 4 a side fuckery every time I play it. That or such braindead teams I need to carry 10s, and this like you said, is not a pubstar. It can't do that. I just get to sit back and watch as my idiot team folds around me.

Such a miserably unfun tank.

So why are you camping with it? Im having a hard time decoding what you are doing in it that cancer is a consistent problem. And I cant. Replays plox

Also it is not a finisher tank. Staying last alive has 0 value (and its a shit strat anyway to begin with). You need to use your teammates while they are alive. bully your way through the group and take cheap shots. sitting back and hiding as your team dies = 40%er level play.

Why do you think I'm camping when I'm constantly getting fucked by arty? Well that makes sense I suppose.

Yeah I never leave base. It's scary out of the cap circle.

It's a meh tank, I don't enjoy playing meh tanks. Gonna freexp past it. Only need another 50kp and will run some doubles on it to see if it ever improves. Otherwise I see no reason to ever play this over the E75/50/Cent.

You're an idiot who needs to take reading comprehension classes if you think I mean the Centurion 1.

Unless you genuinely think the IS8 is a better tank than the 7/1, in which case you're just an idiot.