Treeburst

Fine... T-10 appreciation thread

245 posts in this topic

Unsure what I should put into the 3rd equipment slot, I only have rammer and vstabs mounted so far. Was going to use GLD but since the top turret reduces the aim time by quite a bit that might not be as useful, maybe vents or optics instead?

up to your playstyle i guess the gun is pretty decent but GLD will help, optics might be a bit to map specific for the is8 but thats up to you.

I had the IS-8 unlocked for months before I bought it; I always had other priorities.  But, I fell in love with the IS-7 on the test server, so I took advantage of the accumulated large repair/med kits from the October mission to fund the IS-8 (and Leo PTA).  I've only put about 9k of free xp into this tank, which was the last bit towards the gun.  Prior, I just ran the BL-9 with a healthy supply of apcr and it worked fine.  Hell, I got a couple mastery badges with that setup.  I have it almost fully upgraded, and I'm rather enjoying it; however, I'm not sure if it's a keeper or not.  I'm sitting at ~2k dpg and 54% winrate, and since I still have a ways to go until I get the IS-7, I'm hoping both of those numbers will come up.

FWIW, the upgrade path I took was: gun -> turret -> tracks (almost there) -> engine (deciding if it's worth the investment, but since I don't mind playing it, I'll probably get it).  I debated on tracks before turret, but I really wanted the extra view range.  It's worked out rather well because there's a 3x event this weekend, so I'll get the tracks tomorrow.  Once I demount the suspension module, I'm strongly considering putting optics on it, since I haven't really found the aim time too onerous as to necessitate a GLD.

The fuck is up with the modules on this thing?

I just got set on fire by a frontal shot without actually damaging the engine or the fuel tanks...

You can set on fire after your engine or fuel tanks roll a saving throw from a shot that would've damaged them, making it look like you just set on fire for no reason.

Still doesn't make sense to me that I got set on fire frontally, I know shells can ricochet inside the tank, but all the way to the back?

This will be my next tier 9 grind: Anyone willin to post several replays for me to watch? It was my first tier 9 I ever unlocked, but I knew I sucked so I never got around to buying or playing it even after free EXP'ing the tracks

Im assuming the fuel tanks aren't all the way in the back or something. Not exactly sure where the modules are in any tank, so I cant dispute it.

Going by general Russian tank design there's either a fuel tank, ammo rack, or both sitting next to the driver. However I haven't played this tank in a while so I can't tell you exactly what it is.

I just got set on fire frontally AGAIN, and ammoracked through the cupola. The 350 average damage per shell isn't helping either.

At this point I'm convinced SerB is trying to troll me out of this tank...

I honestly do not like this tank..... I probably would if I did not decide to play WZ111-4 prior to the is8, but unfortunately I did. IS8 is just horrible compared to the WZ.... the Chinese brother has much better armor ---> really I mean the much much better upper hull. The alpha difference doesnt really make a difference, but surprisingly IS8 actually gives me a feeling that it has a worse gun handling than that of WZ111-4 ---> very off as it has a smaller gun

Overall, wz is just better... I still decide to grind through is8, only for the legendary is7, which in contrast is much better than its Chinese twin brother 113

It's a serious necro but I didn't really see a reason to start a new topic.

I have to say that I really enjoy the tank at the moment and that it's fairly underrated. I'm still not back at my real level of play yet but I've already gotten two masteries and increased the DPG from 1700 to just over 2k, although I don't have that many battles in it yet. I got my first mark on it too and sit at about 67% so I assume that actually good players can do some serious farming in it.

I'm still not good enough to carry battles in it, so I do lose quite a bit but I've managed to bump the WR from 30 to 45 over the last couple of days, so I guess that's something :^)

The DPM is pretty decent thanks to the beefy alpha damage, it has good pen on both AP and HEAT along with some great speed for taking early positions, which makes it pretty solid in my book. I think it mostly suffers because it has to go up against a fucking amazing tier of vehicles with very few bad tanks in it but that's really not the fault of the IS-8. Definitely not a beginner tank, though.

Still doesn't make sense to me that I got set on fire frontally, I know shells can ricochet inside the tank, but all the way to the back?

Im assuming the fuel tanks aren't all the way in the back or something. Not exactly sure where the modules are in any tank, so I cant dispute it.

XorA7IE.png

First time posting but I figure this is a good a topic as any to start.

At first I hated the IS-8 with a passion. Compared to the E75, ST-I, and M103 (unlike some people I bloody love that tank and do well with it) the IS-8 was my eye roller. As in, fuck me I gotta grind 189K XP on this thing?

Hull sucks, no gun depression, and it's tall - the Firefly all over again.

But after grinding 100K XP....a light bulb went off in my head. I started to do a lot better in my IS-8. A lot lot better.

I think unlocking the T-54 and thoroughly enjoying it's grind had a lot do to with it. They have a lot of the same strengths - speed, turret, and gun.

I abuse undulations in the terrain to overcome the poor gun depression, such as using the bottoms of the sides of hills.

I reverse sidescrape or peek only so much that my very angled far hull side is exposed.

It's speed means I can actually flex in a heavy tank that isn't a French tissue box.

It's small and strong turret can take a pounding and is hard to hit in the first place.

The IS-8 has a great gun which sits in a comfy middle between the E75 and the M103 that can wrack up damage real fast even in Tier 10 matches.

Now I actually enjoy this tank. When I first started I had every intention of dumping it after I had unlocked the IS-7. After finally learning how to drive it properly I think I'll keep it.

I'm not saying it's the best Tier 9 heavy (M103 has stolen my heart) I'm just saying that when driven properly it's a great tank.

If IS-8 would be introduced now it would be called OP. Medium speed, 440 alpha with ok DPM, super good pen for tier 9 and some armor as a bonus against all those bland 390 alpha paper mediums. Gun is even decently accurate, better than M46 for example, although you need to aim quite some time. 

I'm almost done the grind.  And as a healthy disclaimer, I'm not a great tanker in this tank.  But I do have some advice that I think is worthwhile.

1- Forget anyone who says this tank is a medium.  It's not.  It doesn't have the mobility (turning), speed, engine power (climbing), or camo of a medium.  So if you treat it like one, expect to be caught out in the open with your no armor pants on.  It does have the speed to relocate, which is nice, but your acceleration isn't great (I've had E75s pass me going uphill).

2- The armor can work in certain situations, like hull down.  Otherwise, don't rely on it above Tier 7s.  Sidescraping is pretty good but any hits are likely to be ammo racks.

3- I played it like a fucking coward.  This is where it's like a medium in that you wait for another heavy to be distracted and then slam him.  This is where it shines.  The gun is great.  Other than against really tough Tier Xs, you'll never need premium ammo.  If you have a tough tank on your team, follow him (unless he goes somewhere really dumb), let him take the shots, and you dish out the pain.  It is mobile enough to peekaboom against slower heavies and that gun is really good.

Here's its stats from vbaddict:

1- Bottom 5 WR for Tier 9s, worst for Tier 9 heavies.
2- Absolute bottom for life time out of Tier 9 heavies.
3- Absolute bottom for damage, damage ratio, and kills/battle out of Tier 9 heavies.
4- Absolute bottom for XP and Wn8 for Tier 9 heavies.
5- Number 2 for popularity, so at least expect some common company.

6- It is a decent credit earner because you almost never need premium in it.

I think this is a decent to strong tank in the hands of a very good driver who can really abuse the terrain to maximize its armor.  It's a decent tank in the hands of someone like me who can occassionally use its armor while abusing its gun (just getting the hang of abusing terrain in it).  It's an attrocious tank for citrus pubbies who can't do either (e.g., me initially in it).  So whether or not you should skip it largely depends on where you fall in the above categories.

The tank has no good reverse side scraping angle.  

If you angle too slightly, you expose that double angled section on your butt, which they will pen easily.

If you angle too much, they will go through your sides.

The reverse side scraping tactic is weak because it is possible the too much and two little angle overlap.  Still, reverse side scraping seems to work against bad players, so I keep using it.  

I get wrecked in this tank. I have basically the same dpg in IS-8 as in the IS-3... and I played the IS-3 a few hundred games ago when I was a worse player in general.

One thing I seem to have trouble with is HEAT use. When to use it? It seems I can never manage to pen the hard tanks frontally even with heat :&

So far I'm not really enjoying this tank but that's probably because I'm not playing it properly.

I'm grinding through the IS-8 on my way to the IS-7. While it's not quite as good as the 1-4, it's still quite good. I might even consider it a keeper after I get done with the grind. Like the 1-4, it's a terrifically punchy medium with a hard turret and a relatively paper hull. I've definitely had success by playing it in medium positions and using its speed to flex as needed. The ideal engagement seems to be trading one for one at short-to-mid range against a tank that relies on DPM or an autoloader. Peek, blap, hide + reload. Rinse and repeat.

It's considerably better than the reputation it's garnered thus far. I definitely like it.

Jesus who the hell calls this a heavium. It feels very slow. 100% 2 skill crew and I see m103s overtake me. Very sluggish to reach cruising speed. 

Jesus who the hell calls this a heavium. It feels very slow. 100% 2 skill crew and I see m103s overtake me. Very sluggish to reach cruising speed. 

Do you have the top tracks & engine?

I call it a heavium, and I'm over 100 games into grinding it...