EchelonIII

Marks of Excellence

317 posts in this topic

Anybody know how on earth these are calculated? WG were talking about about damage done over 50 to 100 games, but people had them on day one.

Below edited in by Crab

EMAi = EMAi-1 + K*(DAMAGEi – EMAi-1)
• DAMAGEi = (Dealt by player in battle) + ( maximum damage by tracking or by spotting) - (team-damage caused to allies in battle)
• k = 2 / (N +1)
• N = 100

The above formula was relayed by MajorRampage to Deus and appears to be complete accurate and validated by WoTLabs users

me = math nerd. 

so the Exponential Moving Average (EMA) is used when you dont really want to store the 100 last results. You only want to store one last result. 

Lets say your average so far is 1000 damage / game. 

Case a) your new game is 2000 damage: So the new average is 1000 + 2/(101)*(2000 - 1000) = 1000 + 19. So the new battle raises your "average" quite a bit. 

Case b) your new game is 100 damage: So the new average is 1000+2/101*(100-1000) = 1000-18. So the new battle lowers your average. 

This also shows why the formula doesnt work for very few battles (the average for 2 battles at 1000 damage/ game would be 40) 

Generally, new battles are TWICE as important for the average as they would be if this was a straight average of the last 100 battles (thus the 2 factor in 2/101). As more battles accumulate the older ones start being less and less important. The 2 factor is used to make the average more responsive to changes, so you dont need to wait 100 good games to see an improvement, it is quite a bit more responsive than that. A 100 factor would make the newest battle as important as all your previous battles combined (which would suck if it is 0 game...). So a new battle that is good can balance 2 shitty older battles, and a shitty new battle cancels 2 great ones. 

A few great games in a row, without any bad games, would bump the average the most. However, this group of good games would be less and less useful the more you play after that. 

cheers

CernoAlpha

CernoAlpha is the man for this excellent explanation

Edited by CraBeatOff
added the actual answer on page 1 for easy reference

The ratios are also pretty askew it seems, i have a damage ratio of about 2 on the 416 and it says that's only higher than 23% of players, i dont know but you'd think that would be a bit better than that with all the reds running around the game.

Most likely bots, since WG probably gave everyone a clean slate for averages on MoE (marks of excellence) after 9.1 hit, and all the bad play on day 1 basically forced the bell curve down into shitlord territory so it was really easy to get.

That, or the server glitched.

Besides looking at a tank in your garage, is there a way to tell if you have any? Ie. looking at the service record?

For those interested we've also suggested the complimentary 'Marks of Excrement' for the other end of the scale.

Marks of excellence are fucked, I have a damage ratio of 1.7 in the AMX 12t (bought post 9.1) but that's only better than 50% of the people that drive it. Considering that almost every 12t I see is a suiscouting moron I find it unbelievable that I'm only better than half the server.

Marks of excellence are fucked, I have a damage ratio of 1.7 in the AMX 12t (bought post 9.1) but that's only better than 50% of the people that drive it. Considering that almost every 12t I see is a suiscouting moron I find it unbelievable that I'm only better than half the server.

My guess is that it only compares you to others who have driven the requisite number of battles. Ie it may only be a small sample at this stage.

I would assume they set a minimum number of battles, maybe 50-100 based on their "It may take 50-100 battles to get them" statement.

Its possible that what its showing you when you look at your service record is just an equation like the following; and you aren't eligible for the award yet because you haven't played the WG set min.

B - Battles played in tank since 9.1 release

X - WG defined minimum game requirement

D - Damage in tank since 9.1 release

R - Marks Ratio (not the same as damage ratio, just the ratio used to compare players for the marks)

R = D/[if B ≥ X](B)[Else](X)

This would explain lower than expected percentages. Bots who do maybe 2 or 3 shots of damage a game but play lots of games might have a ratio of

800 average damage and 150 games     120000/150 = 800

But you haven't played enough games yet, and its calculating your percentage based off of

2500 average damage and 20 games     50000/75 (because of set min (loosely estimated value)) = 667

And then it only actually compares you to people who have already hit the minimum.

Early, early in the patch, bots would be the highest candidates for the award, simply because they were the first few to hit the set min.

All just pulled out of my ass ofc, I have no proof this is how their doing it, its just one of the ways I can think of that would explain reds having 3 stars early and unicums seeing less than 50% averages.

I don't know how they work, all i can tell is they're 100% fucked up. So far they make absolutely no sense, a part from my T-44 where it's actually pretty logical - but that's the only one so far o_o

where do you see the 50% or whatever for each tank?

where do you see the 50% or whatever for each tank?

If you go to service record vehicles, click on a tank, switch to the awards tab, and hover over the Marks of Excellence.

Personal percentages are only listed on tanks played in 9.1

In my T57 it says I am better than 28%, yet since 9.1 I have averaged 5k damage in it for like 20 games. Why can't WG ever do anything right?

Is that like Rexxie asking if he shows you his gun barrel will you show him yours?

Is that like Rexxie asking if he shows you his gun barrel will you show him yours?

I think that's a completely different league of question  :smug:

LOL I just couldn't resist, but Rexxies cool as a cucumber no matter what

They're definitely messed up.  I'm no pro, but I checked a few of my better performing tanks, and it says that I'm 16th percentile on one, 23rd on another.  I'm bad at tanks, but there's no way I'm worse than 84% of the server population, in a tank I actually do well in.

My percentile (in the tanks I've checked) seems to go up every single game, even games where I potatoed. My thinking is that WG did something intensely stupid like create a "last 100 games in each tank for each player" table, fill the initial 100 rows with 0s, and then as you play games it removes one entry and fills in the actual value. I'm assuming they did this because they couldn't figure out any other way to make the MOE only show recent games.

So even if you've got a 5.0 damage ratio every single game, after your first 10 games you're still going to have an overall damage ratio of 0.05 because of all those 0s... but every game it will go up. Eventually you'll catch up to the bots and AFK baddies, but it will take a while.

In other news, damage ratio is a fucking stupid stat to base this on, since it purely punishes aggressive players and rewards campers who hide in A1 all game, which is exactly backwards from how it should be.

They're definitely messed up.  I'm no pro, but I checked a few of my better performing tanks, and it says that I'm 16th percentile on one, 23rd on another.  I'm bad at tanks, but there's no way I'm worse than 84% of the server population, in a tank I actually do well in.

I"m guessing the lower the number the better.

Apparently 99% of players outdamage my T34. 1,912 isn't good but worse than 99% of the playerbase? Lol?

My percentile (in the tanks I've checked) seems to go up every single game, even games where I potatoed. My thinking is that WG did something intensely stupid like create a "last 100 games in each tank for each player" table, fill the initial 100 rows with 0s, and then as you play games it removes one entry and fills in the actual value. I'm assuming they did this because they couldn't figure out any other way to make the MOE only show recent games.

My results are doing something very similar. Nice one WG

L337 coding.

Apparently 99% of players outdamage my T34. 1,912 isn't good but worse than 99% of the playerbase? Lol?

I had about 4 games in my T57 after the patch 3 of them between 3 and 4k damage and the last one over 7k. This made me better than 7% of the player base. All those red 45%ers I see in tier 10 matches must really be upping their games.