Dongfeng_division

Tanks that don't need fire extinguisher?

18 posts in this topic

I would like to re-arrange the equipment of my tanks, and replace fire extinguisher with another repair kit, or perhaps with food.

But since I use all the tanks of all tiers I don't know which tank does not need a fire extinguisher (aside from the obvious culprits). Is there any way to reliably tell, or is it completely on a case-to-case basis? Since knowing about few tier10's won't help me with other tiers.

Rules of thumb: Germans are tinderboxes. Russian have fuel tank problems, as do the British with their overmatch sides. American tanks are generally fire safe if you are only getting shot from the front.

That said, case by case is probably the best, because there are always exceptions to the rule.

I don't use fire extinguishers in low tier glass cannons. Things that, if they get set on fire, have likely lost a big bunch of their HP's already.

For example, I don't carry a fire extinguisher in my T49. Since it doesn't catch on fire easily, and if it does it's already toast, the case of Cola'd be a very interesting thing to use (If you have credits to spare).
I am starting to think the same about my Crusader, too. Never been caught on fire in that one.

Of course there's better people to take advise from, but well... My two cents. :).

Engine % doesn't mean anything unless you're being hit by a 150mm+

Engine/transmission/gas tank position in the tank itself matters. For example in the 140 the first shot 2/3 times takes out your gas tank (Not broken, but damaged, ALWAYS). 

The T57 heavy can run repair, med, cola if you're good about not taking shots in the ass. 

I've seen a very clutch setup on the 140 that Gotch and I made, but he is the only one that uses it sometimes. Double repairs, food, Jack of All Trades. But for that you NEED to play pretty cautiously. Camo paint + skill is needed and optics + veiw range perks to light the TD's/whatever(though it's mostly TD's that will light you on fire) first is also recommended.

268 is good about no fires. Even being shot in the ass it's very low.

Those are the only ones I have a lot of experience with.

Fires are mostly a case-to-case basis. Most Brit tanks (supposedly) don't light on fire but then you get to the 215b and it's fire every other match. So yeah, if you're unsure just run an ext.

I've stopped using a fire extinguisher on all tanks that don't get set on fire every match. I find that I use 2 repair kits far more often than I get set on fire. I would rather get out of a jam with 2 repair kits 5 times over the course of 20 games, than put out 1 fire. It sucks when I get shot and set on fire in the first 5 min, but it only happens once every 200 games or so...

I just gamble , running food instead of prem fire on the 50B works fine until you get shot in the ass , so prob flame up once every 50 battles in it 

Doing the same on the IS-6 

You can always train Jack of all trades to free up the med kit and use food which is what I'm doing on my RU/Chinese meds 

I'd say the only way of really knowing is to use a weak spot viewer , any tank with large fuel tanks in the front or sides will need a fire kit , germans need them because lol gear boxes burn 

Anything that has a frontal transmission or frontal fuel tanks that get hit a lot, bring an AFE. Tanks that lack either of those or simply don't get shot much, feel free to take food or a second repair kit.

Though I personally leave AFEs on many of my tanks anyway. Losing most of your HP to a lucky fire is annoying.

Engine % doesn't mean anything unless you're being hit by a 150mm+

Engine/transmission/gas tank position in the tank itself matters. For example in the 140 the first shot 2/3 times takes out your gas tank (Not broken, but damaged, ALWAYS). 

The T57 heavy can run repair, med, cola if you're good about not taking shots in the ass. 

I've seen a very clutch setup on the 140 that Gotch and I made, but he is the only one that uses it sometimes. Double repairs, food, Jack of All Trades. But for that you NEED to play pretty cautiously. Camo paint + skill is needed and optics + veiw range perks to light the TD's/whatever(though it's mostly TD's that will light you on fire) first is also recommended.

268 is good about no fires. Even being shot in the ass it's very low.

Those are the only ones I have a lot of experience with.

Fires are mostly a case-to-case basis. Most Brit tanks (supposedly) don't light on fire but then you get to the 215b and it's fire every other match. So yeah, if you're unsure just run an ext.

Would you say it's worth to use food instead of FE on an IS-7? I rarely get shot in the ass and it only take engine damage instead of being lit of fire. I think I've maybe be lit on fire 5 times out of all my games in it 

Would you say it's worth to use food instead of FE on an IS-7? I rarely get shot in the ass and it only take engine damage instead of being lit of fire. I think I've maybe be lit on fire 5 times out of all my games in it 

I don't quite yet have my RNG-PhD on the IS-7 yet.

I would say just because it's a brawl yolo tank, and the chances of getting shot everywhere are higher you should use an ext.

But use whatever you feel is viable.

I dunno. The thing is, if the IS-7 is angle even 10 degrees, I can shoot through the front drive wheel, track it, deal damage and hit the fuel tank. Set quite a few IS-7s on fire that way. I suspect my round is overmatching the 30mm bottom. Depends on your experience though. The average pubbie probably doesn't know any of this.

In any case, it's a cost benefit analysis. Don't think about whether you NEED an AFE. Just consider if there's something that is more useful.

The only time I do not use a fire extinguisher is on some of my scouts. The Luchs is a good example because it will hardly ever take more than 2 shots.

The moment I take a fire extinguisher off, whatever tank I'm in will go up in a raging inferno the next time I leave the garage. So none of them. I run fire extinguisher on everything in pub matches.

Generally I run 100 octane gas on anything tier 6 or less as opposed to a MFE

Tier 7 and up I run the AFE on pretty much everything, because why take the risk?

All of them.

Food is too much benefit to pass up.