Rexxie

VK45.02 Ausf B - Like the Maus, but Better

27 posts in this topic

The only other topics on this tank were focused on how terrible it is, so I thought I'd just go ahead and start a new one instead of necroing.

My questions are as follows:

• What equipment should I run in this tank? The only equipment I'll consider are rammer, gld, vents, vstab, optics. Leaning towards rammer/gld/vstab.
  • Should this be played like a T9 VK72.01 without as reliable of an upper plate? Is there a better playstyle for this thing, or is it a close-combat bruiser like the E-75?
  • How is the gun handling? On paper it should be quite a bit better than the E-75's, but that's not saying much because I can hardly remember how good or bad the E-75's gun handling even was.
  • Did anyone here actually enjoy this tank?

Feel free to just discuss the tank here, although I'd like to keep away from just repeatedly shouting LOL ITS SO TERRIBLE or LOL LOOK AT THE BUFF NEXT PATCH, since those seem to have their own topics.

I have a question.

How much did the changes actually effect it?

I mean.

How much have they ACTUALLY changed it? Is it still played the same way? Etc etc.

Let me clarify: can it still go to the same spots, does it still need to sidescrape?

its incapable of doing anything useful atm so just plop it where it is needed and see if you could win or not.

Playing a few games with it on test right now. Kind of insane when it's more or less top tier. I really don't think this is making it to live release. Gun handling is acceptable, nothing special in regards to sniping though. 

The only times I've died with non gold ammo are where Russian pubtards blocked me from backing off, or through the side armor. 

Failed to pen with AP at this angle -_- 

cfgi7tK.jpg

Its lower plate is sloped back at 49 degrees. 278 AP/293 APCR/304 HEAT effective, GG.

The only legit weakpoints on it are the midsection/low end of the MG port (200mm with negligible sloping), driver's vision slit (zero armour but tiny target), the usual 160mm slightly angled cupola, and the 40mm turret roof (ricochet angle but gets overmatched by 120mm+ guns).

- Veider confirms that the improved VK4502B turret, mentioned in patchnotes (roof thickness buffed) didn’t get to the first test round, it will appear however in the next one

OK, scratch the turret roof weakness.

I and a friend did a test on this tank, we went 1 on 1 on the new map, me in the JGPZE100 shooting AP(299pen) and he in the VK, firstly I shoot him in the lower plate without any angle and it went thru it(only shoot one), but when he angled just slightly(barely tbh) I couldn't pen him anymore, it was inane, like 6 shells and none of them penetrated his LFP in a distance of merely 30m.

I can tell you right now that this thing could have 300mm frontal armor and it still wouldnt be op.

I can tell you right now that this thing could have 300mm frontal armor and it still wouldnt be op.

It's still awkward and slow, but it now has roughly T95-level frontal toughness with about double the speed. That has to count for something, right?

It's still awkward and slow, but it now has roughly T95-level frontal toughness with about double the speed. That has to count for something, right?

It means just that.  It's not OP but it may be (more) viable.

On a lot of maps it will be broken. Anything with alleys or narrow passages will be completely dominated by the 4502.

It does, but at the same time having a very bad cannon in comparison and lacking side armor is a big deal too.

I wasn't really prepared for how immobile this thing is. I was expecting an E-75 without quite as much top speed, but it's more comparable to a KV-4. It chugs along at 20kph, struggles to reach 25, and refuses anything past 30. It's really slow. At the same time, it's also super clumsy and sluggish. If you have to keep dancing between two angles of incoming fire, you will seriously feel it. It just fails to do so. Getting flanked hurts hard too - coupling the slow E-75 turret with molasses track traverse (50% slower than the E-75?!) means it takes ages to reposition.

Seeing as its being buffed, its probably not fair to complain about the armor... but yeah, the armor is pretty mediocre. Still, the lack of side armor (of both the hull and turret) actually has posed a much bigger threat than the lack of frontal hull armor. That's not to say getting your UFP penned by a KV-1S isn't frustrating as all hell, though.

Other than these two problems, it seems okay. I like the E-75 gun, it hits hard and is reliable enough to be enjoyable. The lack of DPM can be annoying in drawn-out fights, but the VK itself is pretty beefy and can live with it.

Someone said in the other thread on this the MG port is no longer a weak spot.

I went Vstab/Rammer/Optics because due to its speed you may need to spot for yourself a lot, but EGLD would be a viable replacement for Optics to maximize gun handling. Another option would be to play it like a slow ass Turreted TD and get Binocs which in retrospect is probably how I'd play it now.

It's speed and handling are the key issues I have with it. It's very hard to carry in it. I played one over a year ago and hated it. It was just too slow and clumsy and too easily flanked, but with the frontal armor buffs it could be an effective side scraper.

It is until the next patch, at which point it'll still be a weakspot... just less of one.

Alright, some more time spent in it.

It's not really all that bad. I mean, it is bad. But because of the way heavies like this work, it's pretty easy to influence a game enough to get a pretty good winrate... and that's what counts, right? It's not unenjoyable, I think I can handle playing this.

What did you settle on for optional equipment?

Consumables i'd go Lg rep/Lg med/ auto FE

I've only tried vents/vstab/rammer and gld/vstab/rammer. I liked vents more. With the decent dispersion values, high pen, and brawly nature of the tank I often barely aim, so aiming faster is a lot less useful than it would be in a longer range tank.

does the minor ground resistance buff with the vents help any with how the vehicle handles?

Just trying to think outside the box ...

Gotta have an Auto FE and Lg Rep kit .... could you get away with using 105 octane gas instead of Lg med kit if your Comander had Jack of all Trades perk?

+10% HP might make it decent

It might, but even with all the horsepower in the world it's still hard limited to 30kph, which is really slow. I wouldnt bother with going with a nontraditional equip loadout.

@wulffx No, the HP/ton and terrain resistance of the VK is abysmal, Horsepower increase will not help. 

Even if he is using it in combination with Vents too and possibly Offroad Driving too?