Sign in to follow this  
Va1heru

AMX 30 when

33 posts in this topic

So everyone is talking about the vickers mbt and Chieftain, and it feels like everyone skipped over the confirmation of AMX 30 been introduced at some point, can anyone give me some sort of info on it or what it will be like Ingame?

Thanks

"When it's done it's done"... That's all we get from WG.

Not this year for sure.

Eh... Thought you were asking when it will be added to the game... I'm a potato at posting.

French copy of leopard 1. Here there's not much of a difference; similar characteristics : http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/04/07/amx-30a-first-series-photos/

Need more leopard 1 in my garage one isn't enough.

With the the meta changing slowly back to heavy prominence (imo) and the "new map" designs taking away view range/camo abuse in favour of brawling, another armourless tank that relies on camo/vision control seems rather pointless.

IIRC, the frontal armor is [email protected]°, so slightly angled to negate the height advantage of enemies, it should produce rather trollish bounces. Also, gun depression and handling were similar to the Leo 1, and it had 400mm of HEAT penetration :3

The apparent similarity between the new(ish) NATO mediums is somewhat...worrying? Will the STB, Leo, Vickers, and AMX 30 end up as clones a la T-62, Obj 140, and Obj 430?

Isn't it a result of the doctrine at the time? 

And the AMX-30 and the Leo 1 are practically the same vehicle anyway, what being from the same joint project.  Kind of estranged siblings.

The apparent similarity between the new(ish) NATO mediums is somewhat...worrying? Will the STB, Leo, Vickers, and AMX 30 end up as clones a la T-62, Obj 140, and Obj 430?

I hope so, never enough lepard :')

exactly like leo 1 with giant ass cupola

AMX-30B2_img_2368.jpg

More like an STB methinks what with the cupola

Might not be new information but I thought I'd just post what little I have about the AMX 30. 

"...lacks a stabilization system...and therefore cannot fire on the move." Yikes. 

It sounds like a Frankenstein mashup of the worst possible features.

1) Paper armor

2) Taller than the STB and Leo (hull is shorter than the Leo however) and definitely larger than the Pact tanks

3) Horrible fire control (on the move at least?)

4) Somewhat limited ammo capacity- second fewest rounds carried out of all the non-autoloading tier X meds. 

5) Giant ass tumor.

What distinctive feature could it possibly have that would differentiate it from all the other Tier X meds? Ridiculous mobility?

20fj37.jpg

Found this info on reddit that was posted about a "year" ago

We have the Leopard I, the T-62, and soon we'll have the M60. The only two MBTs from the early cold war that we don't have yet are the Chieftan and the AMX-30, and I doubt the Chieftan is going to come anytime soon. But, the French line hasn't received any new tanks in I don't know how long, and I think it's due for another line.

What's interesting about the AMX-30 is that it doesn't have an autoloader; it would probably play much like a mix between a Bat. Chat. and an FCM 50t. It also has next to no armor; only 80mm at the highest point. This light armor was due to the necessity of speed; it can hit a top speed of 65km/h. It weighs around 36 tonnes and has a 720 HP engine. As for armament, it has a 105mm main gun (with HEAT) but, unlike most other MBTs of its time, it does not have a gun stabilization system, so it would be very innaccurate on the move (sound familiar?). There was a variant that was able to mount a 142 mm gun.

All these attributes combined could be combined to create a very deadly medium tank; it would have the speed that others enjoy, but have a more versatile gun system, which would make it less reliant on cover due the the lack of a necessity to reload a clip. It would be an alternative to the Leopard 1 in its role, except probably with less sniping involved.

As for a tech tree, this would finally be an excuse to bring out the Char 2C (dat 155mm...) and the Somua S-35, as well as possibly the AMX 13/105, and the H-39, the AMC(X)-35, or the FCM-36.
As for mid-late tiers, I'm sure Wargaming could simply make up something, or find some obscure blueprints.

A tech tree could look something like this:
Tier II: FCM-36, H-39, AMC-35
Tier III: Somua S-35
Tier IV: Char 2C
Tier V: Char 2C Bis
Tier VI: ???
Tier VII: ???
Tier VIII: AMX 13 105 / ???
Tier IX: AMX-30 B (b being basic, the export version) / AMX 13 105
Tier X: AMX-30 ACRA / AMX-30 

lya0S5T.jpg

The mantlet seems very tough, the frontal turret roof is autobounce, cheeks seem to be extremely angled as well. The only concern with the turret armour is the tumour.

The UFP is also just short of autobounce, 25 degrees of side angle/2 degrees of vertical angle and it ricochets non-HEAT rounds- but the sides and LFP are paper.

What's the point of a Leo 1 with overmatch armor and you only get 400 pen HEAT in exchange?
I'd rather have a heavier armored E 50 M

The post-war US 90mm had 300 pen HEAT and the post-war Soviet 122mm had 400 pen HEAT, and those were nerfed. Because who could have thought that near-autopen ammo is retarded?

I'm kinda concerned though, how is WG going to make all the tier X NATO mediums distinct from each other?

Yeah, all these 105-slinging tier 10 mediums are getting really anodyne and monotonous. And then you get all those European nationalists that clamor for a "European tank tree" that would invariably end in yet another Leopard 1/M48 clone... just eugh. The French desperately need a little love for their tree (which hasn't been touched with new tanks since release, IIRC), but the AMX-30 honestly isn't the answer.

Might not be new information but I thought I'd just post what little I have about the AMX 30. 

"...lacks a stabilization system...and therefore cannot fire on the move." Yikes. 

It sounds like a Frankenstein mashup of the worst possible features.

1) Paper armor

2) Taller than the STB and Leo (hull is shorter than the Leo however) and definitely larger than the Pact tanks

3) Horrible fire control (on the move at least?)

4) Somewhat limited ammo capacity- second fewest rounds carried out of all the non-autoloading tier X meds. 

5) Giant ass tumor.

What distinctive feature could it possibly have that would differentiate it from all the other Tier X meds? Ridiculous mobility?

*snip*

Yes to ridiculous mobility. Find a 2 degrees slope to be on the reverse side of, hide your LFP, and your front, tumour aside, is auto-bounce to all AP and APCR. Is there something wrong with that? Maybe it'll have bad dispersion... but good aim time? Gun stabilizaiton came in 1971 for the AMX 30 family, you know? (wikipedia stronk)

Also, once camo starts to depend on vision check points available, all tumour tanks will get basically a huge buff to scouting ability. Be scared, be VERY scared. Also, AMX-30 commander has a binocular telescope with 10x magnification according to wikipedia... so that probably means enormous view range, on the order of 420m in current meta terms and, if the proposed overall nerf to non-scouts goes through, still about 390 whereas most mediums are down to about 360.

Yeah, all these 105-slinging tier 10 mediums are getting really anodyne and monotonous. And then you get all those European nationalists that clamor for a "European tank tree" that would invariably end in yet another Leopard 1/M48 clone... just eugh. The French desperately need a little love for their tree (which hasn't been touched with new tanks since release, IIRC), but the AMX-30 honestly isn't the answer.

I would like to point out that the EU Tier 8-10 meds would likely be the Panzer 58, 61, and 68, not quite a Patton clone, at least far less so than the Soviet mediums.

The AMX-30 would have similar mobility to the Leopard, VASTLY better armour (auto-bounce AP/APCR if it is even on a slight incline) and maybe better view range or camo (once the "camo dependent on vision points visible" mechanic comes in all tumour tanks will get a huge buff as they spot from the tumour, but it is only one spot-check point).

In general, why don't we have the improved AMX 30, the AMX 32, with additional spaced armour, as tier 10 instead, with AMX-30B2 standard transmission and fire control? It sure would be a lot more legit than the WTF100, yeah?

Yes to ridiculous mobility.....The AMX-30 would have similar mobility to the Leopard

You don't know that. The STB, Leo, and AMX all have almost identical power/weight ratios. The STB and the Leo DO NOT have similar mobility; what makes you think the AMX will be similar to the Leo?

WG can fuck with the terrain resistance stats to make tanks that should be very similar on paper, perform very differently in-game.  

Also from your wikipedia source:

"The French type had received a separate national designation: AMX 30.[28] The trials indicated that the German type, on 1 October also getting its own name Leopard, had a better mobility and acceleration."

Gun stabilizaiton came in 1971 for the AMX 30 family, you know? (wikipedia stronk)

And the Leopard 1A3 (introduced roughly around 1971) had a turret with an actual mantlet with spaced armor. What's your point? Modernization always adds new features to tanks. Doesn't mean that the version introduced into WoT will reflect later upgrades to the tank. 

I would like to point out that the EU Tier 8-10 meds would likely be the Panzer 58, 61, and 68, not quite a Patton clone, at least far less so than the Soviet mediums.

All of those are Patton/Leopard clones, in game terms. Paper armor, sorta maneuverable, 90/105 armament, and good gun depression. None of those would differ notably from what's already in the game, it would just be a skin swap with maybe a few soft stat differences.

I mean, how are you going to make the 68 any different from a Leopard/Patton/STB/Centurion, when they already have roughly equal specifications IRL? They've already really stretched the "soft stat" balancing mechanic about as far as it can go with all these tier 10 NATO mediums. Adding any more would be a mistake and a waste of modeling/coding/QA resources.

The problem is that armored warfare state of the art reached a point in the mid 60's that WG won't implement.

The major advances were:

Composite and Reactive Armor--Nope

Smoothbore Main Guns/APFSDS Ammunition--Nope

Laser ranging/Digital Fire control--partially implemented (we have "perfect" ranging. Historically this was gigantic change.)

Thermal/NVIS Sights---Not applicable

Guided Missiles--nope

Halon fire extinguishers/Ammo rack blowout panels--unknown if WG takes this into account when assigning module hitpoints.

Yes to ridiculous mobility.....The AMX-30 would have similar mobility to the Leopard

You don't know that. The STB, Leo, and AMX all have almost identical power/weight ratios. The STB and the Leo DO NOT have similar mobility; what makes you think the AMX will be similar to the Leo?

WG can fuck with the terrain resistance stats to make tanks that should be very similar on paper, perform very differently in-game.  

Also from your wikipedia source:

"The French type had received a separate national designation: AMX 30.[28] The trials indicated that the German type, on 1 October also getting its own name Leopard, had a better mobility and acceleration."

Gun stabilizaiton came in 1971 for the AMX 30 family, you know? (wikipedia stronk)

And the Leopard 1A3 (introduced roughly around 1971) had a turret with an actual mantlet with spaced armor. What's your point? Modernization always adds new features to tanks. Doesn't mean that the version introduced into WoT will reflect later upgrades to the tank. 

Note to self: read closer next time. Well, at least it has useable armour (a la autobounce rules) compared to the Leopard, and once camo dependent on number of spot-checks visible comes it'll get a large buff, so will the M48A1 Patton, but the Patton lacks the autobounce turet front of the AMX 30.

Too bad WG insists on not giving the Leopard any protection while their own glorious mediums have trololol turrets.

All of those are Patton/Leopard clones, in game terms. Paper armor, sorta maneuverable, 90/105 armament, and good gun depression. None of those would differ notably from what's already in the game, it would just be a skin swap with maybe a few soft stat differences.

I mean, how are you going to make the 68 any different from a Leopard/Patton/STB/Centurion, when they already have roughly equal specifications IRL? They've already really stretched the "soft stat" balancing mechanic about as far as it can go with all these tier 10 NATO mediums. Adding any more would be a mistake and a waste of modeling/coding/QA resources.

I think you mean "They've already really stretched the soft stat balancing mechanic about as far as it can go with all these Russian tier 10 mediums. Adding two 62A clones was a waste of modelling/coding/QA resources."

If you're telling my the Panzer 68 was more of a clone of ANYTHING than the Object 140 is of the 62A (am aware of turret roof difference)... please give me a moment to register my laughter.