CraBeatOff

Wake of the Flood: Crab's replays

277 posts in this topic

http://www.wotreplays.com/site/1027506#self

Obj 140 on Ruinberg, BT10. Upon loading I recognize that their mediums are weak, just an STA (hi Nolan!). Consequentially my goal is to vision pin them from crossing middle easily and getting to the village. I rarely see players try this, and I am unclear why, as its a massive advantage for the team, as long as you can dodge arty and know when to bail. 

Anyways, I go middle use the 140 depression and turret to hold their attention and my team establishes a dominant 0 and 6 line position. The game was basically over at this point, I roll down the 0 line, make love to a Rhoomba, and then sit at 455m and slay ass for about 2 minutes. Fairly gaudy numbers though, and even though I didn't get the initial spots, the point was to vision pin them and keep them out so we could flank fast...and it worked perfectly. 

Don't be a damage farmer, make winning moves, and damage will be your reward. (The game directly before this was a scout medal in the WZ-111)

I usually try that from the middle section (edge of the city) where I can permatrack some poor tier 8 driving up, but I rarely pin them further away from the city when doing that. I'll try changing my strategy a bit.

i never win the vision battle for that area.

i die trying, or i let them win.

its not really clear to me what the best way to counter an opponent from doing that is.  

What would you have done if they had more competent mediums? Would you still have tried to vision pin them, or just gone somewhere else entirely?

Very well played, +1. Thanks for sharing the replay as well, it is always a good learning experience  :)

What would you have done if they had more competent mediums? Would you still have tried to vision pin them, or just gone somewhere else entirely?

Very well played, +1. Thanks for sharing the replay as well, it is always a good learning experience  :)

It really depends on the team composition and tanks and who I had behind me. I sometimes take a medium city after a scouting run. It wasn't that their mediums were incompetent, its just that the tanks were either 8s or 9s, or a Batchat which has to load and then sit still to clip dump (and is thus not terrible dangerous unless isolated). 

Here are a few more

http://www.wotreplays.com/site/1028453#el_halluf-crabeatoff-t-62a

Basically I've been given an overview of the El Halluf changed by jacg, but I've got no practical experience and would rather be conservative early than take on Bat25ts in a brawl for the pool. So I float around, and then decide I can help out north, or at least try to dig out the 62A on that new north hill. Right as I got to the bottom I realize our 10s are gonna collapse there, so I flee back up and bag an E5 for it. This stalls them and I play vision games with the T-44 for a little. When it becomes clear they aren't pressing, and all the positions are static I decide the best route is south, and lo and behold my pubs are bored enough to follow. The rest is a race against the clock and clickers!

http://www.wotreplays.com/site/1028455#sand_river-crabeatoff-t110e5

This is what the E5 does best. Bully mediums on weird terrain. I barely even get hit though, but just the existence of armor is a deterrent. Shout out to sr360 for kindly covering my ass from the middle flank, so I could contain those mediums. The real lesson here is...don't get too close in the E5 against mediums. They can circle you, and will, and your sides and ass will never bounce. Keeping them an arm's length away lets you just roll up the dmg, especially in confined spaces like the north of Sand River.

http://www.wotreplays.com/site/1028455#sand_river-crabeatoff-t110e5

This is what the E5 does best. Bully mediums on weird terrain. I barely even get hit though, but just the existence of armor is a deterrent. Shout out to sr360 for kindly covering my ass from the middle flank, so I could contain those mediums. The real lesson here is...don't get too close in the E5 against mediums. They can circle you, and will, and your sides and ass will never bounce. Keeping them an arm's length away lets you just roll up the dmg, especially in confined spaces like the north of Sand River.

Why do I always get stuck with shit duty? :)

It really depends on the team composition and tanks and who I had behind me. I sometimes take a medium city after a scouting run. It wasn't that their mediums were incompetent, its just that the tanks were either 8s or 9s, or a Batchat which has to load and then sit still to clip dump (and is thus not terrible dangerous unless isolated). 

Oh, alright. It amazes me how you can see past the small things and think about the roles of the different tanks. Upon watching the replay I assumed you ignored the bat because he was yellow, but you noticed that he does not fit the role he would have to play in order to counter that position. I would have counted the bat as a real threat if I were in that situation, and probably played more passive as a result.

Thank you for the input, vision games and analyzing team composition are two things I really struggle with. Will watch the other two replays later.

Oh, alright. It amazes me how you can see past the small things and think about the roles of the different tanks. Upon watching the replay I assumed you ignored the bat because he was yellow, but you noticed that he does not fit the role he would have to play in order to counter that position. I would have counted the bat as a real threat if I were in that situation, and probably played more passive as a result.

Thank you for the input, vision games and analyzing team composition are two things I really struggle with. Will watch the other two replays later.

I don't run XVM stats, although I will ask platoon mates questions about specific key tanks on both sides. But you're correct, the Bat is not a good counter to what I wanted to do, so as long as I didn't wander into his ideal encounter (isolated on the 0 out of line of fire of my support) then I figured I'd be OK. Or else he'd suicide over, trying to get me, and I'd do my best to juke and bounce while he got shredded early (this happens a fair amount with certain clan tags and purple stats, or if you are Garbad). 

Team composition and tank strengths are pretty important. The maps play out very differently depend on who goes where. For example on the Sand River replay, it might have been the "obvious" choice to take my E5 south with Yankee, and fight the heavies...but the E5 doesn't have the spike that the T57/E-100/E3 have. Its also not quite fast enough on sand or have quite the depression to pull off the shenanigans a -10 degree depression medium tank can south. 

And it was a zero arty game, so I could assume that Yankee would hold out for a long time, esp given assistance by the 183 and JpE. The enemy had a lot of mediums, and Sand River is very good for mobility tanks, especially late game. Plus the mediums are pretty much guaranteed to go up to the north, so its predictable where the engagement will happen. So based on all these assumptions I took my E5 north and asked sr360 to stay behind the one dune there, to provide fire support and discourage flanks from the inside of the dune. 

So yea, all that happens in the countdown, based on experience and lots of time thinking about how maps play out. Identify the key tanks and composition, try to predict the battle lines, and then choose the deployment that will best lead to the win (or which will lead to the highest WN8 if you are a 55% 3200+ WN8 farmer). 

Do you run any mods, or just play vanilla?

servercross2 and xvm but no stats.

Victory!
Battle: Pearl River 
Vehicle: Object 140
Experience received: 4,148 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 96,193
Battle achievements: Top Gun, Defender, Invader, Kolobanov's Medal, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
Mission completed! Reward:
Added: Large Repair Kit (x2)

Its not so much that I played well, as they played poorly.

Battle achievements: Top Gun, Defender, Invader, Kolobanov's Medal, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Not to diminish a kolos, but Defender/Invader combo is pretty crazy.

Watching now...

Edit:

the T54E1 was quite bad, the Bat Chat probably shouldn't have gone close quarters alone, keeping some distance would have lead to an easy clip, and the other medium boggles my mind.  not sure what he was thinking.  Most of the fault probably goes to the bat chat 25t.  if he had waited, there wouldn't have been anything that you could do.  

Lastly, with a full clip, the Bat Chat arty didn't even try to splash you?  

It seems like most kolos must come at the intersection of skill and luck.  it was definitely a skillful game.  i probably would have died to the bat chat.

Holy hell Crab, stay away from German tanks, 'cause you on fire!

Crosspost from PityFool's T110E5 thread. A batch of E5 replays. I meant to post a batch of 1390/M24/M46/WZ-111 this morning, but I forgot to upload before leaving work :-(

I'm not as good as Pity, and my numbers reflect that. But here are 36 games from today, running 72% wins and just shy of 3k dpg, over 1k xpg. I had 1 game where I just got cupola snapped by E-100s to death, because I went 8 line on Himmels, which I never do, and will never do again unless its a battle of all tier 8s! Otherwise plenty of bully. As always, room for improvement noted. But hey, averaging 3k with Yato around is hard work! And I'm really not that good at dpg whoring. 

There's 2 Ace games in here, including the last one, which was a HARD carry on Kharkov. over 15k from the platoon. Kewei makes a guest appearance on the Himmels derp game and the following Ensk match. I expect we'll see some 50B replays from him soon, which I look forward to. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck8k3iezv8oqjbi/E5%209.2.zip?dl=0

This makes me want to install WoT on the work computer.

This makes me want to install WoT on the work computer.

As with all Kolos it first involved our team failing, and then their team failing even harder. It was pretty hilarious replay though, I beat down a panicky Bat25t through TWO clips and I recall yolo-swag-noscoping at least 1 great shot in there. Totally worth the 2 Large Repair kits I was rewarded. :-D

The fact that I was 1 bad shot shy of a Kolos on the NEXT game in my own Bat was even more nuts...

I understand the Kolo's comment.  Mine were mostly low tier, or map awareness fast cap, or LOL I survived last on Assault mode.  And then, there are a handful of 8+ kill games where I was 1-2 shots shy of getting a skillful Kolo.  Usually get derped by one of the last arti pieces.  

I understand the Kolo's comment.  Mine were mostly low tier, or map awareness fast cap, or LOL I survived last on Assault mode.  And then, there are a handful of 8+ kill games where I was 1-2 shots shy of getting a skillful Kolo.  Usually get derped by one of the last arti pieces.  

The blown Bat25t Kolo is where I autoaimed the dirt killing a GWE, which wasted so much time that the other arty got onto cap, so I raced back and got derped. Back to back Kolos and I could have just quit the game happy (not really!)

http://www.wotreplays.com/site/1027506#self

Obj 140 on Ruinberg, BT10. Upon loading I recognize that their mediums are weak, just an STA (hi Nolan!). Consequentially my goal is to vision pin them from crossing middle easily and getting to the village. I rarely see players try this, and I am unclear why, as its a massive advantage for the team, as long as you can dodge arty and know when to bail. 

Anyways, I go middle use the 140 depression and turret to hold their attention and my team establishes a dominant 0 and 6 line position. The game was basically over at this point, I roll down the 0 line, make love to a Rhoomba, and then sit at 455m and slay ass for about 2 minutes. Fairly gaudy numbers though, and even though I didn't get the initial spots, the point was to vision pin them and keep them out so we could flank fast...and it worked perfectly. 

Don't be a damage farmer, make winning moves, and damage will be your reward. (The game directly before this was a scout medal in the WZ-111)

I really need to get of my arse and watch this replay, to see if what you're calling vision pinning matches up with what I have in my head. I suspect I already do this a fair bit.

Also, you should watch some replays :P

Now weesh. Why did I do what I did? What worked? What didn't?

I am SHOCKED by your start.  

This map is pretty frustrating because no location seems good to deploy and fight.  Well, it's ok if there is no arty.  

The fact that you found a central location to just wait for an opportunity is kind of an eye opener.  I always try to be at the crucial battle grounds first.  

I need to rethink all the maps where I don't know where to be and see if there is a good central location to wait and pounce.  AMX 50 100 play is teaching me a bit of that strategy, but I'm not very good at it yet.  

I like scoping out the ground and communicating what you have found to a team.  I try to do that as well, but I don't know sacred valley well enough to make that kind of judgement for this one.

I see you pouncing on the chaos that the bat chat creates, and even though you are spotted early, you follow through.  That makes me pretty nervous because there are a fair number of unspotted tanks, and you seem pretty exposed.  Perhaps this is a high percentage risk, but I don't have the experience to judge it.  I am REALLY bad at taking new risks.  I'm just too scared to try.

But then the Bat Chat dies, and since you haven't fully invested, you can escape along the ridge-line.  You poke along the openings for flanking opportunities, and are forced to retreat...but it was a good risk to take, since the upside was huge, and the downside was just get back to safety.

Next, you climb a small hill to the west, and I can't figure out what you are doing while you are doint it, but it seems you anticipated that Anfield would think you were poking at the next opening, and when he exposes himself to ambush you, you hit him instead.  If that was what was really going through your head, wow.  

Would YOU say you made any mistakes?  I can't really see any.  

I really need to get of my arse and watch this replay, to see if what you're calling vision pinning matches up with what I have in my head. I suspect I already do this a fair bit.

Also, you should watch some replays :P

evacmybore waited a year for his, so I bumped him in queue. Its coming! So slow...

I am SHOCKED by your start.  

This map is pretty frustrating because no location seems good to deploy and fight.  Well, it's ok if there is no arty.  

The fact that you found a central location to just wait for an opportunity is kind of an eye opener.  I always try to be at the crucial battle grounds first.  

I need to rethink all the maps where I don't know where to be and see if there is a good central location to wait and pounce.  AMX 50 100 play is teaching me a bit of that strategy, but I'm not very good at it yet.  

I like scoping out the ground and communicating what you have found to a team.  I try to do that as well, but I don't know sacred valley well enough to make that kind of judgement for this one.

I see you pouncing on the chaos that the bat chat creates, and even though you are spotted early, you follow through.  That makes me pretty nervous because there are a fair number of unspotted tanks, and you seem pretty exposed.  Perhaps this is a high percentage risk, but I don't have the experience to judge it.  I am REALLY bad at taking new risks.  I'm just too scared to try.

But then the Bat Chat dies, and since you haven't fully invested, you can escape along the ridge-line.  You poke along the openings for flanking opportunities, and are forced to retreat...but it was a good risk to take, since the upside was huge, and the downside was just get back to safety.

Next, you climb a small hill to the west, and I can't figure out what you are doing while you are doint it, but it seems you anticipated that Anfield would think you were poking at the next opening, and when he exposes himself to ambush you, you hit him instead.  If that was what was really going through your head, wow.  

Would YOU say you made any mistakes?  I can't really see any.  

I had 2 big beefy platoonmates. Anything I could do on the brawl area was redundant. There is that inside lane to flank the main brawl...but simply not arty safe with 4 arty. 

I was trying something new with the middle, I'd never gone there before, but i had TD coverage and the RU meds can hide behind stuff pretty easy. I wanted to see what might be lagging that I could spot for arty, and then get a flank on the main blob. I know the feeling of trying to be front line and crucial all the time, and its taken me a year to break that feeling. Information is useless, especially if you know your blob is unlikely to collapse immediately. 

I do expose early, but i have cover nearby, i know they are all hot for that batchat, and that the Waffle won't chase too much...we have 4 arty also! I was hoping to nab more arty, but finding they had an E-100 and Waffle out of the brawl is pretty good info! I'm still very careful around the Waffle, and when I try to flank the blob, Anfield shows up (which is the smart thing to do).

As soon as I shake lights from him, I figure he will be looking for me, and set up that ambush. Tree provides some camo, wall obscures my hitboxes! It was a clever move kinda, but then again he was right to want to eliminate me, as I am super risky to have poking around in the back lines. 

There is an XVM/-G- effect where people just freak out when you flank. Like well beyond the proper choices...its kinda like being a sheriff I guess, but all the time. People want the monkey! Not saying Anfield is prone to this, he was just doing threat assessment properly, but even just popping up in place can make an entire blob turn turrets and get destroyed. See sr360's epic E-100 game on Arctic for an example of this. I show up south to flank and their whole team goes nuts killing me, and gets dominated in the process.

Anyways, in the time the E-100, Waffle and Anfield are out of the fight our blob prevails. I chase, try to track Anfield, get a lucky fire instead, game over. No real mistakes, but nothing uber special either. I just though it was interesting to show that I also don't really know what to do on Sacred Valley in my meds, but to show what it looks like when I make it up as I go along...