SmalltalkJava

World Community Grid - wotlabs team?

24 posts in this topic

Hey wotlabbers.

I run a team that volunteers spare time on our home computers for scientific research.  The research projects include cancer research, AIDS research, clean energy and many other humanitarian scientific endeavors.   Many of you may have heard of SETI at home, and this is in that line of work except its for more "down to earth" humanitarian research.

I have a team that I started a year or so ago and we currently have 5 members and in that year or so, we have donated over 14 years of unused processor time.  The team I run is called "For You" but I was thinking that if enough wotlabbers join up that I would switch the name to  "Wotlabs" or a name that you decide on.

The link to our team stats is here:   http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BGGGTH8C02

For more information:  www.worldcommunitygrid.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Community_Grid

This is a really great thing. I'll sign on with you guys regardless, and it would be great if others here would too.

We'd welcome you Agamemnon.    Any little bit helps.   I don't even have a computer that will run WOT, but my old laptop that is missing 3 keys from the keyboard just sits in a corner and chugs away.

What's really amazing to me is that this is the first time in human history that something of this magnitude can be done.   Take for example the AIDS research project,  people have donated over 307,000 years of computer processing time that would have been unused.     over 307,000 YEARS!      It's mind boggling to me.

The Cancer Markers project has over 74,000, years and I don't think its even been active for one year yet.

For a while i was trying to get the place that i work to allow us to install it on our laptops, i even did a beta test to see if it was viable and I wrote up a white paper with the results.  However, our director shot it down, due to it not being a direct part of our mission.  

i dont really see the need to form a new team, just joined yours.   i used to run bionic years ago, but it wasnt nearly as resource friendly back then so i stopped. good to see they have it tuned well now. (hint, turn on advanced view if you want to see all the stuff)

That is sooo cool. I didn't even know something like this existed. Me join.

ITS LIKE WE'RE LIVING IN THE FUTURE

That is sooo cool. I didn't even know something like this existed. Me join.

ITS LIKE WE'RE LIVING IN THE FUTURE

sadly, its pretty old stuff. [email protected] was the first distributed computing project, and it started back in 1999. 

Since setting up my new home server/router (Athlon 5350), I've been meaning to get boinc going.  Thanks for the motivation.

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND

5226 boinc     39  19 96536  52m 1256 R 102.5  3.6   2:33.58 wcgrid_mcm1_7.3
 5225 boinc     39  19 96536  52m 1276 R  96.1  3.6   2:33.56 wcgrid_mcm1_7.3

Power usage increased from 16 watts to 24 watts.  Not bad at all. :)

the newer boinc clients are pretty streamlined.  If your worried about power and cpu usage, you can also go into the client options and configure boinc to only use 1 processor and put limits on how much it uses and a lot of other settings.    I had a lot of back and forth with the Boinc team at Berkley, and IBM for World Community Grid, when i was writing a white paper for the USDA.    So far the only issue that i've heard from a friend of mine is that a reboot is needed once a week.   But i'm not sure if its just his pc or actual boinc client.   Since he never ever reboots his gaming computer.   

I'm glad you guys are joining.     as a person who has had 3 family members die from cancer it really helps.      

I really like WCG since they projects they support publish their scientific results openly.  So it is available for the world to use and not just a company looking to get free research done for their profit margin.  For example the Clean Energy project has publish an open database at Harvard.

"On June 24, 2013, the Clean Energy Project released its database to the public and the research community. The release was featured on the White House Blog[1] and by several news organizations including the MIT Technology Review.[2] The database contains 150 million density functional theory calculations on 2.3 million molecules."

I just realized one more thing...

In the team page I can set the team home page. so once the wotlabs section for our team gets going strong, I set the team home page to to a wotlabs page.   Whatever the wotlabs site owners want me to put in.    and I will change the name to what you guys deem appropriate.     

PS.  I own the "For You" team across all BOINC projects.  so when I change the name I can change it across all BOINC projects to a wotlabs team name.  This would apply to SETI, and any other projects and not just WCG.

PPS.    I am creating a new team challenge that will reference wotlabs also.

I ran [email protected] for years, left around the time it became cool to buy 4x duodecas just for folding, -bigadv went to 16 cores and there was some massive scandal I can't recall the outcome of.

Just discovered a neat power-saving trick for anyone running boinc on linux. 

In the unix world, there exists a thing called the nice parameter.  That parameter indicates the niceness of the process; positive niceness yields the processor, negative niceness forces other processes out.  Obviously, you want boinc to use a low process priority - when it is running to allow other on-demand processes to get priority.  This is a given.

Turns out you can do something comparable to conserve power as well.  Add this line to /etc/rc.local: (for some reason sysctl.conf won't work here...)

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load

Now when boinc is running in the background, the cpu frequency scaler will not ramp up the processor to max speed.

This is the power consumption I see before/after...

Before - Idle: 16 watts @ 800 Mhz

Before - 2-threads: 24 watts @ 2050Mhz

Before - 4 threads: 31 watts @ 2050Mhz

After - 2 threads: 18 watts @ 800Mhz

After - 4 threads: 19 watts @ 800Mhz

i wish i wasnt too lazy to learn linux at that level, but im a hardware guy. 

my morning was spent watching a team of 5 monkeys scramble over a VM cluster that was massively pooched, only to ask the question "has anyone looked at the hardware yet?"

long story short, 1 non-blinking LED identified the SAN controller that was at fault. 2 minutes and 20 seconds to identify the issue they had been on the phone with VMware for 2 hours diagnosing.  20 minutes of attempting a soft reboot/hard reboot, then finally unseating and reseating it resolved everything. 

i much prefer the physical. 

Nice everyone.   You are all moving along.  Over 40 days of donated time already for each of you.  Since August 19th (17 days ago) you guys have donated over 140 Days of processing time.

Hey all.  Time for an update.  The team has now donated over 21 years of computer processing time!   Also if you want to participate on all of the research projects that you log into the World Community Grid website and click on the "My Projects" tab and make sure the the "Participate in all Projects" option is listed.   They have added several new research projects. One is for Ebola, and the other is for Genome research.  There was an aritcle on the new ebola project on the TIME website. (http://time.com/3634732/ibm-ebola-cure/) Additionally the results from the Clean Energy Project can be viewed on Harvard's database website (https://cepdb.molecularspace.org/)

Total Run Time (y:d:h:m:s) (Rank)
21:136:03:08:58 (#2,442)

Here is the stats breakdown per person.   Getsome, mostlyhybrid, and Hurk have really been churning!  Since August, Getsome has donated over 3 years.  mostlyhybrid and Hurk have donated over 1 year.

NAME           Total Run Time (Y:D:H:m:s)      Points       Results Returned
Steve Meacham   10:017:13:33:59                9,203,706         25,910
smalltalk_2k     3:184:10:53:33                3,299,188          5,951
Getsome          3:014:19:51:12                2,803,053          4,663
mostlyhybrid     1:251:10:31:21                1,970,617          3,405
Hurk             1:074:03:19:06                1,810,221          3,118
masardou         0:241:05:11:27                1,683,684          2,795
Warith           0:186:12:34:02                  397,193            728
Rokuzachi        0:173:05:58:47                1,107,529          1,897
Ektoras83        0:066:01:46:08                  439,827            706
baldego          0:015:06:13:50                   15,056             33
Mel Knacker      0:006:09:15:33                    5,694             26
katberry         -:---:--:--:--                        0         0
jean ezequiel    -:---:--:--:--                        0         0

More stats can be found on our team website stats page:   http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BGGGTH8C02

Just letting everyone know.   We are doing really good.      We have donated over 27 years of what would have been wasted cpu cycles!!!!!!

Just an update.   Our team has now donated over 30 years of computer processing time.  That is 10 more years that my daughter has been alive!   You can view our statistics on this page:   http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BGGGTH8C02  

We have turned in 68,262 research results.

Hello Everyone.

I originally posted this on August 19, 2014.   So I feel it is time for a new update.

We have now donated over 40 years of computer processing time.

• Total Run Time (y:d:h:m:s) 40:242:10:44:02

I used to run several machines folding for BOINC last year and completed some decent folding workloads. There are so so so many projects to choose from, i can't believing distributive computing isn't more widely used.