PityFool

The new meta and the T110E5: Diamond amongst the rocks? Or just simple salt?

814 posts in this topic

SO, when I first picked this up it was in the middle of the TD domination era, just after the great arty nerf of 8.6 when a general tier 10 game consisted of 90% TD's. I absolutely loathed the E5, I could barely maintain 2k DPG and banished the tank to CW only. Fast forward to me hitting 300 games in the E5, after only playing it in CW for months, with a DPG in the area of 1900 which embarrassed me to hell.

So a few months ago I decided I was going to play the thing until I worked it out, no matter the cost. And so I began my self-torture, 350 game mark arrived and I was on the verge of selling the tank, 25 games later and some of my pain had been eased by a few decent games. By the time my 500 game mark had arrived, I was a changed man, this tank was good and I could not understand why I had not liked it before.

Anyway, recently I went over 1000 games in my E5 and I absolutely love this tank. So here comes my main point for this topic.

- The ability to flex very well, this tank is mobile enough to challenge almost all typical medium positions.

- It has workable armour, LFP is nothing special but reasonably reliable enough use as a spearhead.

- The gun has excellent handling, good accuracy and nice DPM. The only downside is that it has HEAT as a gold round.

The E5 has the ability to perform in either of the 2 current most important roles; mediums and heavies. The current set of maps are a pack of allsorts when it comes to being either A) Medium favoured or B)Heavy favoured. With the E5 you are never completely out-classed on any map. Your team is low on meds? Fine, I'm a medium this game, get bullied fgts. The game is going to be won or lost at the brawl? E100 m8 u better not bounce/miss a shot cuz i'll rip u a new 1 kunt. OH GAWD THEIR PUBES ARE CAPPING! No worries kunts, i'll just wizz over there.

The point of this is to discuss how WG's recent changes have buffed this tank into something extremely reliable as a pub tank, especially solo pub. Personally I think its a gem that no one is talking about, so I have come to share my thoughts. Please share yours/ask questions.

i could say that american had name T110XX series which prefer heavy, TD, Med

So at what point did you become comfortable with it?

Also, what ruined the tank for me was the accuracy buff. It went from having a hatch make people miss 4/5 times at 200m to getting penned 3/5 times. Its hatch I used to use as bait, but now it is just easy to hit.

But since maps are much shorter now and there are many spots protected by arty I agree the E5 is benefiting. Also when T57 gets nerfed a bit I think it will also help as the T57 wont be much better accuracy wise+ have 1600 dmg clip.

I find the E5`s Armor besides the tumor to be fairly great. At 400m its pretty much auto bounce. Its just those medium distances where it has to fight 140`s or 50m`s it hurts IMO.

I really wish the ammo rack wasn't attached to the outside of the vehicle.

I have trouble pushing in this thing, anymore. Gun's great, there is armor in places, and the tracks eat a LOT of shots, but as soon as you get spun, shots just pour into the front side ammo racks.

It's ok in clan wars, as long as they don't expect you to use your gun depression to fight enemies, because the tumor is cancer

In Pubs it just feels like there's too many gold firing tier 10 TDs that just go straight through any section of your tank camping at the back of every section of the map. It's good at long and medium range where it's harder to hit the weak spots

It's reverse speed is terrible though

So at what point did you become comfortable with it?

Also, what ruined the tank for me was the accuracy buff. It went from having a hatch make people miss 4/5 times at 200m to getting penned 3/5 times. Its hatch I used to use as bait, but now it is just easy to hit.

But since maps are much shorter now and there are many spots protected by arty I agree the E5 is benefiting. Also when T57 gets nerfed a bit I think it will also help as the T57 wont be much better accuracy wise+ have 1600 dmg clip.

I find the E5`s Armor besides the tumor to be fairly great. At 400m its pretty much auto bounce. Its just those medium distances where it has to fight 140`s or 50m`s it hurts IMO.

Meh. I have no problem baiting with the cupola still. It's still a hard shot to pen, unless it's a t10 med or firing gold, a lot of it is bouncy. They have to hit the... "root" I guess to pen reliably.100-200m moving it laterally to the enemy still gets a lot of misses, for me.

E5 is lots of fun as a 3rd platoon slot basically. Pretty much any med+ damage dealer + E5 is a solid comp for carrying.

EDIT: Also, my actual favoritest thing about the E5 is that in the current meta/map pool, so many tanks have a set of 1.. "style" of map that is terrible for them. TDs have all the awful brawling maps, same with the soft meds like leo and what not. E5 really isn't weak on any map set. It's super solid across the board so you dont have the awful feeling of loading into one of those maps where your tank is just kinda inherently bleh.

Edited by Pompous

T110E5 has honestly been the only Tier 10 tank to be nice to me as far as my stats are concerned (IE above a 51% winrate, unless my IS7 has climbed back up).  Was my 2nd Tier X after the IS7 and I got it back when it was first available.

I've never had a time where I've thought it to be not in the meta and have always loved it.  It's not amazing, but it's good. Also, the cupola seems to be a non issue anymore as I get bounces off of it except for the dead center, provided the pubbies are not spamming gold..

People complain about the tumor, but when I watch them playing it I usually understand why. Whenever you have the option, always take the route/position that gives you cover on the left side. You'll be surprised by how often you are able to do this and hide the tumor. Also wiggling and using your gun barrel to cover it makes it a pretty tough spot to hit for the enemy.

The reverse speed is awful yea... It has let me down on occasions. 

The ammo rack is a problem, but over time playing I have learnt how to avoid taking unnecessary shots in the side which significantly reduced my racks and fires.  For example, if I am forced to cross a firing lane, instead of driving directly across and taking a single shot into the side I prefer to drive head on into them and eat 2 shots of damage through the front and then cross the lane. Obviously facing frontally can result in bounces and its better to just not get yourself into those positions in the first place, but this was simply an example of the lengths I go to avoid being shot in the side.

EDIT: Also, my actual favoritest thing about the E5 is that in the current meta/map pool, so many tanks have a set of 1.. "style" of map that is terrible for them. TDs have all the awful brawling maps, same with the soft meds like leo and what not. E5 really isn't weak on any map set. It's super solid across the board so you dont have the awful feeling of loading into one of those maps where your tank is just kinda inherently bleh.

This is pretty much exactly what I mean, the E5 can perform on all the maps in multiple roles

Would you recommend it to someone who doesn't play (traditional) heavies at all?

Would you recommend it to someone who doesn't play (traditional) heavies at all?

Definitely, think of it as a heavy-medium hybrid. 

People complain about the e5 alot but its one of the few t10 that l enjoyed playing.

I've been noticing that the E5's been getting better lately too. I've always enjoyed the E5 as my standard TX for any general platoon, it carries games when you need to with little fuss, plus it's one of the heavies you can actually mount optics on to stand off against mediums.

I'd like to think a few key factors brought the E5 back into fashion.

1. Death of the vision meta: Mediums which used to be able to kite the E5 easily no longer can do so

2. Nerfing of TDs: Upon the E4's release, the E5 initially became completely useless, then became a tank that was simply vision bait for TDs which made light of E5 armor.

I've been noticing that the E5's been getting better lately too. I've always enjoyed the E5 as my standard TX for any general platoon, it carries games when you need to with little fuss, plus it's one of the heavies you can actually mount optics on to stand off against mediums.

I'd like to think a few key factors brought the E5 back into fashion.

1. Death of the vision meta: Mediums which used to be able to kite the E5 easily no longer can do so

2. Nerfing of TDs: Upon the E4's release, the E5 initially became completely useless, then became a tank that was simply vision bait for TDs which made light of E5 armor.

Don't forget the map changes with regard to 1. There are so many more places where the E5 can get close and start really bullying people now with all the new brawling areas added in the map overhauls. Really helps to bring the E5's "heavy"ness back to the party.

Not just the nerf of TD's, their significant decrease in numbers and effectiveness due to the map changes and nerfs has helped the E5 alot. Because as you said, the E5 really struggled against hordes of TD's which is one of the factors contributing to my poor performance early on.

And you feel the increase to armor is worth dropping a four round autoloader and five hundred DPM?

And you feel the increase to armor is worth dropping a four round autoloader and five hundred DPM?

Personally, yes.

- The 57's effectiveness over anything but close range is pretty shit

- The armour is terribly unreliable

- The autoloader is both a blessing and a curse, the main problem being the downtime.. which is a killer playing solo and/or trying to carry/hold a flank.

I feel that the 57 relies on support too much and is a little bit specialized, whereas the E5 can operate on its own and is very well rounded.

Obviously there are cases where the 57 is a better choice, but overall I feel the E5 comes out on top :) 

i could say that american had name T110XX series which prefer heavy, TD, Med

I am really sorry, but I am going to have to ask for a translation of this, anyone?

I might not be talking about it, but I sure am playing it. It became my top played tank sometime this week. 600+, with every intention to going well beyond 1k. I nearly finished 4th crew skills with this weekend's multiplier. 

My E5 wins more battles than the T57, because it can do more things. 

I might not be talking about it, but I sure am playing it. It became my top played tank sometime this week. 600+, with every intention to going well beyond 1k. I nearly finished 4th crew skills with this weekend's multiplier. 

My E5 wins more battles than the T57, because it can do more things. 

Yea, I can't stop playing it. I just thought people had sort of forgotten it as it was a pretty mediocre tank during the reign of the TDs but I feel it has really come out to shine in the last few patches.

I feel the same way about my M48 Patton: Yeah it can be a turd sometimes, but it can work on any map pretty reliably. I need to buy the M103 and get that grind started.

I am looking forward to the E5, Im a big fan of the hull down game (US style) and I know the E5 is just one of those tanks which can specialize on pretty much any map now

As I'm on the M103, I'm so jealous. I need 80k more to get the E5.

You need to turn left to go around a corner? No problem.

You need to turn right to go around a corner? You're gonna have a bad time.

Also, you want armour? Here, have armour.

1. Platoon up

2. Run 1 57 and 2 E5s

3. ????

4. PROFIT!

People complain about the tumor, but when I watch them playing it I usually understand why. Whenever you have the option, always take the route/position that gives you cover on the left side. You'll be surprised by how often you are able to do this and hide the tumor. Also wiggling and using your gun barrel to cover it makes it a pretty tough spot to hit for the enemy.

The reverse speed is awful yea... It has let me down on occasions. 

The ammo rack is a problem, but over time playing I have learnt how to avoid taking unnecessary shots in the side which significantly reduced my racks and fires.  For example, if I am forced to cross a firing lane, instead of driving directly across and taking a single shot into the side I prefer to drive head on into them and eat 2 shots of damage through the front and then cross the lane. Obviously facing frontally can result in bounces and its better to just not get yourself into those positions in the first place, but this was simply an example of the lengths I go to avoid being shot in the side.

to me, the hate is exactly what you said, i play the damn thing constantly thinking "where can i go to hide my giant fucking weakspot" and not "how can i play to win". 

i cant stand tanks that require gimmick to do their job. 

to me, the hate is exactly what you said, i play the damn thing constantly thinking "where can i go to hide my giant fucking weakspot" and not "how can i play to win". 

i cant stand tanks that require gimmick to do their job. 

I don't have that experience at all. E5 is decidedly one of the best tanks to say "ok where do I need to be to win". Its a minor defensive skill needed to keep people from hammering your cupola and LFP!

While I see that the T110E5 is your most played tank in that tier, you have very little experience in 10s - and what Pity is saying, and I am seconding, is that the more you play the E5, the better it gets. 250ish games might not be enough. I know my first 250 were pretty blah also. But as time goes on and I get better at tier and better at E5, the results come.