Zeven

Zeven's Q&A with Ewe

323 posts in this topic

I really appreciate your stream w/ commentary, great for understanding game flow. :D

What's the worst mistake that blues often make compared to purples? Most deep purples that I've asked say that light purples are very similar to blues, only one is more refined.

I try to make it to your stream nightly, but still have this question:

On Sand River with 3 artillery, where would you take an IS-8, from both spawns?  It might seem like a stupid question, but if I try to head with the mediums, I get derped in the face or am left behind.

What is your favorite animal?

More seriously though, how do you decide when to back up a yoloing ally when there is little to no information about the enemy dispersion? There have been several games I've recently played where a few allies have moved up to aggressive positions only to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of enemy tanks that eventually uncloaked and rushed them. In these situations I've wondered whether I should be up ahead with them to try to give them a better chance at surviving, or instead hang back and try to do as much damage as possible while my prematurely aggressive allies are swarmed.

Your videos are ridiculously informative, as is your stream.  I looked you up after I saw a bunch of people plugging your twitch channel on reddit, and I'd like to think that watching your stuff has improved my play.

One of the things I have trouble with, though, is deciding where I should be going based on the enemy team composition and the map.  Do you have a video that explores this more in-depth?  I know yours tend to be hardcore analysis of a single match, but if you could make one that covers common pub strats and where to best gain the advantage in certain classes of tanks, that'd be pretty fucking awesome.

Thanks!

Better question, Pity, is why isnt Zeven a purple poaster already?

I don't handle the purple poster tags, Agamemneon is the dealer for them.

I try to run an instructional stream over on Twitch when I am playing World of Tanks. 

I as I told you in stream chat, was a shame I hadn't watched your stream all this time, really enjoy the commentary and appreciate it, so thanks again :)

Better question, Pity, is why isnt Zeven a purple poaster already?

A better better question, Marine, is why do you think someone who just got here and hasn't contributed anything to the wotlabs forums yet deserves the purple poaster status so soon?

Give me good enough reasons and I might agree, but I would prefer he actually contribute some stuff here first. Either way, I welcome Zeven with open arms, we need more people who are willing to actively help the people who need it.

Whats your favorite question?

What's up with the sheep?

What's the worst mistake that blues often make compared to purples? Most deep purples that I've asked say that light purples are very similar to blues, only one is more refined.

Splitting hairs a bit based upon shades of colors, I think.  To generalize though, I think blues change their gameplay well enough in response to what is right in front of them.  Purples react to things that happen anywhere on the map.  There is a variable cadence to random matches and I think good players hear the changes in tempo more clearly.  Do I think my team on the other side of the map is winning (and my side is outgunned)?  Ok, slow it down, do not let them break this flank before we have a chance to win the other.  That is a very specific analogy for a broad concept, but I think that is what good players process internally.

On Sand River with 3 artillery, where would you take an IS-8, from both spawns?  It might seem like a stupid question, but if I try to head with the mediums, I get derped in the face or am left behind.

It is not a stupid question, but it is pretty vague.  Where you start going depends on so many factors (what match tier you are in, whether you are platooned, composition and skill of your team and the enemy team, what the initial dispersion looks like, where you feel comfortable playing, whether you get early information on the enemy dispersion, etc.) that you can not really have a set path.  In general, you have to think about how the map plays and what the hazards are.  It seems like you do not want to get caught in the open spaces on the map and get pooped on by arty.  So what you should do is to be on the other end of one of those open spaces (do not camp in the spawn/base, please) and catch their tanks coming across it so your arty can do the pooping.  If they do not come across your open space, start thinking of where they might be and how you are going to cross the same open spaces while avoiding said poop.

More seriously though, how do you decide when to back up a yoloing ally when there is little to no information about the enemy dispersion? There have been several games I've recently played where a few allies have moved up to aggressive positions only to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of enemy tanks that eventually uncloaked and rushed them. In these situations I've wondered whether I should be up ahead with them to try to give them a better chance at surviving, or instead hang back and try to do as much damage as possible while my prematurely aggressive allies are swarmed.

It depends on a lot of factors (I get the feeling I am going to be starting off with this statement a lot).  In the interest of time, we will analyze just a couple.  One, how important are they to your team?  If your only two top tier tanks derp off someplace, you should place greater importance on figuring out a way to keep them alive.  Two, how good are they (this is where xvm comes in handy)?  If they are horrible, you might want to pick a halfway point where you have an exit plan, but can still do some damage before they die.  Keep in mind that helping aggressive players does not necessarily mean being up there with them sharing health.  Sometimes it means suppressing flanking fire, sometimes it means pushing a flank yourself.  Every action, even derps, can expose weaknesses in a defense that you can potentially exploit.

One of the things I have trouble with, though, is deciding where I should be going based on the enemy team composition and the map.  Do you have a video that explores this more in-depth?  I know yours tend to be hardcore analysis of a single match, but if you could make one that covers common pub strats and where to best gain the advantage in certain classes of tanks, that'd be pretty fucking awesome.

I do not have a video of such.  It really would be a lot of information to cover.  I do believe that sela at some point made a bunch of map tactic screenshots showing areas on each map to play.  I will see if I can find that (or someone else can link it).

Why did I receive so much hate when I played with you recently?

Haters gonna hate.  Maybe they mistook you for Mizerable... :D

Your #1 mental tool for improvement? 

Stay calm while you are playing.  Calm is consistent.  Calm keeps you from tensing up under pressure.  Keep in mind that being clutch is usually just not choking, and you will choke less if you are calm.  You can rage after you die... :doubleguns2:

A better better question, Marine, is why do you think someone who just got here and hasn't contributed anything to the wotlabs forums yet deserves the purple poaster status so soon?

Give me good enough reasons and I might agree, but I would prefer he actually contribute some stuff here first. Either way, I welcome Zeven with open arms, we need more people who are willing to actively help the people who need it.

Because his stream, even though new, is perhaps the best teaching tool out there.  Even before he made his first poast he has contributed more than 90% of current purple posters.

Splitting hairs a bit based upon shades of colors, I think.  To generalize though, I think blues change their gameplay well enough in response to what is right in front of them.  Purples react to things that happen anywhere on the map.  There is a variable cadence to random matches and I think good players hear the changes in tempo more clearly.  Do I think my team on the other side of the map is winning (and my side is outgunned)?  Ok, slow it down, do not let them break this flank before we have a chance to win the other.  That is a very specific analogy for a broad concept, but I think that is what good players process internally.

Hi Zeven,

Another vague / general one: your platoon is outgunned on one flank, but opponents on that flank aren't pushing and have good cover.  On the other flank, your team initially had the numerical advantage but would appear to be slowly getting rolled up... what to do?  

(ps - thanks for stream, I find your comments useful even when it's just little observations with the big mini-map on display...'that 13 90 could have gone one bush further and got some lights on x,y,z).

Hey Zeven, grats on growing your stream so quickly and getting that handy sub button.  I checked out your stream the other night and saw you were doing replay review live on stream.  Awesome!

As for purple poster status, there's a way for other PPs to nominate a new PP to bring it to Age's attention.  

Stay calm while you are playing.  Calm is consistent.  Calm keeps you from tensing up under pressure.  Keep in mind that being clutch is usually just not choking, and you will choke less if you are calm.  You can rage after you die... :doubleguns2:

So much this.  Zeven, not only have I learned a great deal from your commentary on both your YouTube videos and streams, I also think I have been able to avoid going on tilt from seeing how calmly you handle bad players/matchmaking/rng/etc.  Seeing a great player such as yourself lose 5 games in a row without changing your demeanor has helped me put my own losses in perspective more often.

Also, I'd like to second what Garbad said.  If there's any stream out there that's better than Zeven's for teaching, I've yet to find it!

Because his stream, even though new, is perhaps the best teaching tool out there.  Even before he made his first poast he has contributed more than 90% of current purple posters.

That's the main problem I have with the purple poster tag. Most people who have it don't do much of anything. I've even seen someone be made a moderator with a grand total of 15 nonconstructive posts to their name. Like wtf

Best way to learn how to commentate while playing?

It was really not quite as easy as I thought it would be to talk and play a video game at the same time.  I knew what kind of narrative style I wanted for the stream and that it was going to take some getting used to.  I started streaming in mid-July and practiced for a couple weeks before I actually told anyone about the channel.  I got some good critiques early on which helped me figure out what was most helpful for people.

Even two months in, I still do not feel that I am playing up to the same level as I am capable of if I was just playing the game and not trying to commentate/stream at the same time.  I am probably about 80-90% of the way there, but still certainly miss quick things happening right in front of me (usually because I have the minimap zoom up and am explaining something).

The most difficult part though is explaining the fuzzy logic that occurs when you play a strategy game with a number of variables at a faster pace than your brain is capable of processing.  I pushed into this particular flank because I felt there was a weakness/opportunity there, but now I have to explain *why* I felt it.

That is a bit of a pointed question, but fair enough.  I am not really involved in posting either on the WG forums or here.  Further, I do not really need or care about tags or the ability to approve posts.  As long as it gets done in a relatively timely fashion, the less administrative work that I have to do, the better, imo.

+1 to Garbad.

Not just for being right but (pretty much as always if you pay attention) admitting that he's not the best at something when he isn't demonstrably.

Seeing you be humble makes your giant epeen easier to swallow.

wait... hold on... that didn't come out right...

:D

Prognostication: Garbad decides to be #best_wot_teacher_worldwide and finally creates a stream and goes mano e mano with Zeven.

I'm betting by October 15, 2014.

Let's start a pool. 

Zeven's stream is the most informative I have seen yet. While guides and tips in this forum are helpful....nothing beats seeing putting these concepts into action.

Plus unlike anyone else Zeven really likes to explain why he does something and where the battle may go. While this may be boring to some because he shows little drama, I find it fascinating because I haven't learned to think this way yet.

Hey Zeven!  I watch your stream nightly, and if I do have to miss it I try to watch the past broadcasts.  WoT really needs more streamers like Zeven.  Keep up the good work!  By the way, I watch your stream on my 360 on the 70" TV and every time you run ads it crashes the stream because the Twitch app on the 360 is so terrible. :)