Zeven

Zeven's Q&A with Ewe

323 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum and the Purple Poasters group Zeven. The tag is primarily an indicator that you are a poster worth taking seriously and will make this thread easier for you to maintain, you bypass the posting restriction and can approve new posts. Thanks for Q&Aing with WoTLabs and I hope you'll stay around to post more.

So much this.  Zeven, not only have I learned a great deal from your commentary on both your YouTube videos and streams, I also think I have been able to avoid going on tilt from seeing how calmly you handle bad players/matchmaking/rng/etc.  Seeing a great player such as yourself lose 5 games in a row without changing your demeanor has helped me put my own losses in perspective more often.

Also, I'd like to second what Garbad said.  If there's any stream out there that's better than Zeven's for teaching, I've yet to find it!

My prior clannie here turned me onto Zeven, and at that time I told Moebeast that I don't typically watch streamers as they are showmen, and not teachers... However; Zeven is different and keeps it to the game. And for this I am grateful. So thanks Moe, and thanks Zeven, don't change a thing.

Watch Quickybaby's streams a lot for gameplay but for more informative and insightful streams I enjoy Zeven and Jerm.

I guess a question regarding Optics vs Vents.  I've always been a Vents guy but I see a lot of purples use Optics instead.  Are Optics always the better way to go or is it more about personal preference?

That's the main problem I have with the purple poster tag. Most people who have it don't do much of anything. I've even seen someone be made a moderator with a grand total of 15 nonconstructive posts to their name. Like wtf

What I can't figure out is why we have more blues as PP than purples. 

What I can't figure out is why we have more blues as PP than purples.

Thanks for noticing me!

Do you get a lot of baaaaaad sheep-based puns when you stream? If not, do you wish you'd get more?

Also, love your videos. Twitch stutters a lot for me so I can't watch your stream videos, but your Youtube clips are really informative and I think they've helped me a lot.

Initial positions for the following maps in T-54:

Westfield

Ensk - South

Ensk encounter

Highway (town seems best but the thing can't brawl)

Malinovka

Mines

Siegfried Line

Redshire

South Coast.

That's a lot so you don't have to answer all. I guess i'll try to make it as simple as possible

Sieg line. Town or field?

Highway - Mid town or field area

South coast- most difficult one for me

Ensk - no idea

Other ones are optional if you want. 

Another vague / general one: your platoon is outgunned on one flank, but opponents on that flank aren't pushing and have good cover.  On the other flank, your team initially had the numerical advantage but would appear to be slowly getting rolled up... what to do?

Try to have an exit plan.  If you have slower tanks and/or your exit route is across an open field, you will probably be better off just making your last stand there.  If you have faster tanks or a covered retreat, fall back as they push in.  I generally think it is better to take forward strategic positions as early as possible.  This allows you to fall back to relatively secure positions while making the enemy pay for the ground you give up.

If you feel that your team is going to lose their advantage on the other side, put extra emphasis on trying to get out early (you might have to sacrifice a slow platoonmate to get the two fast guys out).  This is, of course, where having early lights comes in handy because having that information ("Hey, there's 10 enemies headed to the side the 3 of us are going to") allows you to plan accordingly.

Prognostication: Garbad decides to be #best_wot_teacher_worldwide and finally creates a stream and goes mano e mano with Zeven.

I'm betting by October 15, 2014.

Let's start a pool. 

I would watch a Garbad stream.

Welcome to the forum and the Purple Poasters group Zeven. The tag is primarily an indicator that you are a poster worth taking seriously and will make this thread easier for you to maintain, you bypass the posting restriction and can approve new posts. Thanks for Q&Aing with WoTLabs and I hope you'll stay around to post more.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I guess a question regarding Optics vs Vents.  I've always been a Vents guy but I see a lot of purples use Optics instead.  Are Optics always the better way to go or is it more about personal preference?

I am a huge believer of vision control in random matches (organized matches are an entirely different beast).  That is why I have optics on 55 of my 107 tanks.  Vision allows you to get early spots, watch for your opponents pushing across lanes from a safe distance and outspot most pubbies in the late game.

Do you get a lot of baaaaaad sheep-based puns when you stream? If not, do you wish you'd get more?

The channel mods have the best/worst sheep puns.  Ask them about Shaft.

Initial positions for the following maps in T-54:

Westfield

Ensk - South

Ensk encounter

Highway (town seems best but the thing can't brawl)

Malinovka

Mines

Siegfried Line

Redshire

South Coast.

In general, for a lot of these maps you mention, you want to bide your time in a somewhat central location where you have some vision and look for an opening to exploit.  I have linked videos for some of the maps (none of them in a T-54, but they give you a general idea).

Westfield - Just do not camp in E0/K6.  I usually play F7/G6 to start and flex where needed (usually the upper plateau).

Ensk (south) - I usually start around G6/H6 to try to see how many tanks they send in either direction.  Depending on what your team does, you can either go field or play the 6 line (I usually play the 6 line unless I am outgunned there).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpGIohYewAo

Ensk (encounter) - Similar to Ensk standard, I usually play the railway until I can figure out how many tanks they have sent west and then flex accordingly.

Highway - South spawn, clear the north if you have the medium advantage/support, then either cross near the E line or go back to support town.  North spawn, knock down all the buildings on cap, move to the middle-west part of town while watching for an opening your town force may create.  Support your town force, and then return to defend the cap as necessary.

Malinovka - Never stay in your base (both cap points are incredibly easy to reset).  Play hill if you have the medium advantage or a central spotting location (D5/E7).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQxcEVZ7iu8

Mines - Play hill if you have the medium advantage.  If you don't have the medium advantage, either make them pay for taking the hill or play the west island.  Making them pay and then proxy spotting is usually more reliable if you have sufficient cover fire.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfD_zywvkeg

Siegfried Line - If you play field, play back until you know you have an advantage.  If you don't, leave the field and try to support your town forces.  Siegfried Line kind of sucks for mediums.

Redshire - Middle, 100% of the time.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xFNoFDMAGI

South Coast - I usually spot tanks going to the middle from either D6/D7 or J5/G8.  You then have to flex depending on what you have seen and what your team does.  South Coast is a pretty open map and you can go all over it and be effective in a T-54.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQ1ypLR13s

How often do you platoon without using any form of voice communication? Usually when I platoon I just do silent with friends, mostly because I'm usually not in the position to use a mic and also I enjoy just playing with music on. How much of a difference in WR do you put down to voice comms? For example, I noticed when I platooned up with you and stagnate, there was a game in particular on kharkov where I decided against going into the more populated enemy flank and chose to flank the weaker one while you chose to do the opposite, I also then returned to base knowing that we were going to be pressured on cap soon. I usually think these sort of things can be avoided by comms, but also think its good for players to react to situations as they interpret them... Then again I am a solopleb.

One more question. What do you do when when you are on flank A but flank B is a difference is you have 2 tanks they have 7? Going back is probably instant death.  2nd part is what about if you are on that flank? Deal as much as you can and die or run?

Hey Zeven!  I watch your stream nightly, and if I do have to miss it I try to watch the past broadcasts.  WoT really needs more streamers like Zeven.  Keep up the good work!  By the way, I watch your stream on my 360 on the 70" TV and every time you run ads it crashes the stream because the Twitch app on the 360 is so terrible. :)

Thanks for watching!  Now I want to see what tanks looks like on a big screen... Sorry about the crashing though, hopefully they fix that app soon.

Also, love your videos. Twitch stutters a lot for me so I can't watch your stream videos, but your Youtube clips are really informative and I think they've helped me a lot.

Now that we have a Twitch partnership, you can try watching on a lower transcoding level.  It should fix your stuttering if it was a throughput issue.

How often do you platoon without using any form of voice communication? Usually when I platoon I just do silent with friends, mostly because I'm usually not in the position to use a mic and also I enjoy just playing with music on. How much of a difference in WR do you put down to voice comms? For example, I noticed when I platooned up with you and stagnate, there was a game in particular on kharkov where I decided against going into the more populated enemy flank and chose to flank the weaker one while you chose to do the opposite, I also then returned to base knowing that we were going to be pressured on cap soon. I usually think these sort of things can be avoided by comms, but also think its good for players to react to situations as they interpret them... Then again I am a solopleb.

I usually use TeamSpeak for platoons.  I think it is incredibly helpful, especially when you are playing with people you do not know.  The guys that I play with often, I usually know what they are going to do, but with strangers you do not have the luxury of familiarity.  Voice comms do not win games per se, but they definitely make for less confusion.  You honestly do not need a mic in most cases, you just need to listen (presuming you trust someone to make the calls).  Think of it as having a second set of eyes looking at your situation, maybe they saw something you missed (or vice versa).  Simply having a guy say, "Let's push here now!" or "Whatever you do, don't push here!" takes a lot of guesswork out of playing together.

I remember that game, I believe you were in a T-54 and I was in a 430v2.  We had lighter tanks pushing for control through the middle, but at about the same time our team lost both of the outsides (northwest and southeast).  Their northwest flank split, with 3-5 tanks of that flank continuing forward and 3 tanks of varying health moving back towards their base.  We still had a speedbump crew in our base and a little bit of time to work with.  I opted to move to engage the returning northwest flank with the hope that the rest of the guys who had just pushed through the middle would continue with me.  I should have payed attention to no one coming with me, and that is my fault.  I felt that if we were able to clear the returning flank, we could then put flanking pressure on the remaining northwest flank that pushed forward and would then be between us and the speedbump crew.  The enemy southeast flank had mostly inconsequential tanks from my memory and could be wiped up any time.

It occurs to me that your previous question about being hated on was in regards to me, and not to the stream viewers.  I am merely questioning your decision making in that match.  You went back and farmed a weak flank while your teammates died, allowing a narrow window to turn the tide of the game to pass, and then you ended up in our base as the last one alive in a full health T-54 against the rest of their team.  You did the most damage of anyone on the team, yet I am not sure that you contributed anything meaningful to any of the key engagements which decided the map.

Don't get me wrong, I am not hating on you.  It doesn't make you a bad person.  I am merely illustrating what *I* believe to be a bad or selfish decision.  I am being no less critical of you than I would be of myself if I made that decision.  Furthermore, I am not always right and I do not always know the right thing to do.  This misadventure could have been addressed by voice comms or by me just paying more attention.

Anyways, I don't hate you... :doge:

If you're not streaming do you talk/chat to your team to try to coach them along?

I do very little coaching in random matches as I find that it is most often not well received or ignored.  That might change a bit as the stream is becoming more popular, making (a sub-population of) people a little more trusting of me.

One more question. What do you do when when you are on flank A but flank B is a difference is you have 2 tanks they have 7? Going back is probably instant death.  2nd part is what about if you are on that flank? Deal as much as you can and die or run?

If the risk is low to get back in time to save them or the flank, you should.  If it is risky, it is probably better to set up in a secondary defensive position if you have the right tank for the job.  Otherwise, it is better to make sure that your strong flank wins quickly and then return to defend your base as needed.

If you are one of the two tanks, you should analyze the situation as I addressed in an earlier post:

"Try to have an exit plan.  If you have slower tanks and/or your exit route is across an open field, you will probably be better off just making your last stand there.  If you have faster tanks or a covered retreat, fall back as they push in.  I generally think it is better to take forward strategic positions as early as possible.  This allows you to fall back to relatively secure positions while making the enemy pay for the ground you give up."

Anyways, I don't hate you... :doge:

Oh no, my comment was directed at the viewers lol. It was a shitstorm in chat.

I often make mistakes, criticism is welcome, which is why I mentioned that game in particular

Best stream for the learning of tonks out there... Zeven is the best at explaining what he does and how he does it for us skrebs to learn from

Oh no, my comment was directed at the viewers lol. It was a shitstorm in chat.

I often make mistakes, criticism is welcome, which is why I mentioned that game in particular

I think the *hate* directed at you was due to the repuation that CHAI has gotten from other players besides you, Yato, Carbon, and Servios (basically, any CHAI which post here, sorry if I missed any!) But, general pubbies wouldnt know the difference. 

Need to plat sometime with you again, you take your E5 and I'll go E50M and just #YOLOSWAG

Subscribed...

I've watched about 3 of your video's so far.  I have learned a lot.  I've probably learned more from your videos than from anything else in the last 4 months.

KUDOS

I think Zeven’s stream is great.  I slowed down on my playing around a year ago and by February of this year, I had all but stopped.  After moving in August, I had a little free time and started back playing.  I know that I was exceedingly average before I stopped, but I was awful upon return.  Absolutely terrible.  So bad that I wouldn’t even subject people to platooning with me.  My win rate dropped half a point in 4 weeks.  My WN8 dropped 25 points.  I had 24,000 battles.  To get drops like that is a sign of some terrible play.

I finally realized that the game had changed significantly from October 2013 and I wasn’t understanding how maps played now, why everyone penned me in the face in my indestructible turreted tanks and the gold spam was worse that it ever was before. 

My cure was to spend a couple nights watching Zeven’s stream.  I watched Thursday and Friday and no shit, I was playing pretty well on Saturday and yesterday.  Well enough that for the first time in 6 weeks, I played higher than my overall win rate.  Even late Saturday when I tooned up with Sela, he only called me bad 15 times or so. 

The stream is fantastic.  Even old dogs can learn something new. 

I try to watch your stream whenever I can. It is very informative because you try to voice your entire thought process.

I feel that at my level, explaining only what you are trying to do (which is where most of the streamers that even try to explain anything end their teaching) is less informative to me than also explaining why you're doing it and why you're not doing something else.

I also think doing the live replay commentaries is a great feature and a good way of interacting with your viewers.

Started watching some of your Youtube videos this morning and I am finding them extremely informative. I certainly felt I was playing with a better understanding of gameflow today.

Keep up the good work!

Hi Zeven,

Thanks very much for your stream and videos. Some of the insights I gained have helped me improve my play such that I actually reached 2k wn8, which was previously unimaginable for me... yeah yeah you unicums would be crying if you dropped down to 2k wn8 >.<

Anyways, I have a question for you (or any other good players) about what to do with an AMX 50-120 (or by extension AMX-50B) on Redshire. I've gotten this map a few times since buying my 50-120 and I'm completely perplexed about how to play this. I know you don't like camping the hill from the north spawn, but I've yet to figure out where else I could go. I don't want to go 0 line because that ends up with peekaboo against heavies and JP100s, which is a losing proposition. I could go 1 line, but that means I'm on low ground and the 50-120 is shy and doesn't like to look up. Going further forward on the hill doesn't seem to work either due to all the bumps plus horrific camo means I get spotted instantly.

Ditto for south spawn, except even worse as the good medium position on the south hill is even more bumpy.

I got accused of "camping in top tier autoloader" by some guy from SIMP after he yoloed his Type 59 into the middle town (from north spawn) and ended up doing 450 damage, but really I don't quite know how to play this map with this tank.

Zeven can you play some matches in the Chi-Ri sometime? I remember on the stream you said that the Chi-Ri isn't as bad as people say it is. I want to see how you are able to make it work (especially when facing tier 8s and 9s) and your thought process behind it.

I have 50k more XP to go to unlock the STA-1, and figure that watching you I might be able to gleam some information on how to kill/damage more tanks in the Chi-Ri.

I'm at 68k xp on the Chi-Ri and grinding it as my main atm. (Actually do you want to toon together some time?)

Tier 8/9 you're usually out of luck. What I did when I had games where I somehow eeked out over 1k damage in a bottom tier game was just sit back and try to catch the flankers off guard. Like basically cover your top tier tanks' asses. If nothing else, it'll divert the enemy's attention to you rather than fucking over your top tier heavies. At least that's what I try to do. So if two Indien Panzers are trying to rush around and flank our E-75, IS-3, you should be in a position a bit back that you can put a clip into the Indiens and make them reconsider their move. Because they can't really ignore you, the damage adds up.

Tier 7 games this thing can be really good, but still having no armor means you can't just recklessly throw your health away. You need that health for the late game, and even then, you want to be careful as this thing takes module damage very easily.

Also I note that peek-a-boom engagements with any tank (even with those 75mm gun mediums) isn't very beneficial as you're not using the autoloader to its best. The best is when a tank yolos into you and a couple other friendly tanks and you can clip them. 

Also, don't feel obliged to fire all three shots, if a T34 with his ass to manages to turn his turret to you after your second shot, don't risk his snapshot and pull back.

I think Zeven’s stream is great.  I slowed down on my playing around a year ago and by February of this year, I had all but stopped.  After moving in August, I had a little free time and started back playing.  I know that I was exceedingly average before I stopped, but I was awful upon return.  Absolutely terrible.  So bad that I wouldn’t even subject people to platooning with me.  My win rate dropped half a point in 4 weeks.  My WN8 dropped 25 points.  I had 24,000 battles.  To get drops like that is a sign of some terrible play.

And still managed to make me look bad in our toon :/

Also, Zeven, love the stream. I don't have any questions in particular but I learn a ton just watching and absorbing. Best stream out there for sure. Thanks a lot! I'll definitely paying attention to this thread as well as the stream.