Zeven

Zeven's Q&A with Ewe

323 posts in this topic

hello zeven, thanks for the stream! I learnt a lot from it.

i have a question, if i am in a leopard 1 or any other no-armor fast tank,it often occurs to me that when i initially went one side but it was outnumbered, i want to try to make the other flank work and push quicker, but sometimes i just dont know how to do it, our heavies are just too passive, like in ruinberg, there isn't much of flanking to do. What should i do in these scenarios? I often just yolo in and hopefully can give my heavies some moral boost.. It works of course not very well ..

sorry about the bad english by the way..

hello Zeven. I made this account especially after I watched your streams. I really enjoy the information you give. thank you again.

Anyways, I have a question for you (or any other good players) about what to do with an AMX 50-120 (or by extension AMX-50B) on Redshire. I've gotten this map a few times since buying my 50-120 and I'm completely perplexed about how to play this. I know you don't like camping the hill from the north spawn, but I've yet to figure out where else I could go. I don't want to go 0 line because that ends up with peekaboo against heavies and JP100s, which is a losing proposition. I could go 1 line, but that means I'm on low ground and the 50-120 is shy and doesn't like to look up. Going further forward on the hill doesn't seem to work either due to all the bumps plus horrific camo means I get spotted instantly.

Ditto for south spawn, except even worse as the good medium position on the south hill is even more bumpy.

You just don't want to camp in the C4 or G5 hills, those are pretty ineffective spots now.  You generally will have to learn how to play most tanks in that middle area (the rectangle of D3 to E4) on Redshire from either side.  You will not want to play the 0 line or the 1 line in a 50 120 or a 50B unless you absolutely have to.  You do not want to be frontline in this middle area unless you have to be.  Be aware of what your team dispersion is like, what backup you have and where your enemy has been seen.  I have included links to a video for each side:

Redshire north - BatChat 25t

Redshire south - STB-1

Zeven can you play some matches in the Chi-Ri sometime? I remember on the stream you said that the Chi-Ri isn't as bad as people say it is. I want to see how you are able to make it work (especially when facing tier 8s and 9s) and your thought process behind it.

I do not currently have the Chi Ri, but I have been thinking about buying it back because this is a pretty common question.  The strength of the Chi Ri is that the autoloader has great DPM for the tier and the mobility of the platform is fair.  The weakness of the Chi Ri is that the penetration, even on the premium shells, is really low for the tier (155 standard, 186 premium).  This means you rarely want to take on tanks frontally even if they are at your tier.  I found the most success using it as a flanker-brawler/sniper type.  Find areas where you can get to the sides of tanks and use your DPM to put the hurt on.

i have a question, if i am in a leopard 1 or any other no-armor fast tank,it often occurs to me that when i initially went one side but it was outnumbered, i want to try to make the other flank work and push quicker, but sometimes i just dont know how to do it, our heavies are just too passive, like in ruinberg, there isn't much of flanking to do. What should i do in these scenarios? I often just yolo in and hopefully can give my heavies some moral boost.. It works of course not very well ..

Ok, so if I understand this correctly, the side you go to is undermanned and so you go back to the other flank to help them work more quickly?  If you are in a squishy tank, it is usually best to find a flanking attack on the "strong side" (I generally refer to the side with the majority of friendly tanks as the strong side and the other side as the weak side).  Ruinberg does have some flanking opportunities, even in the city side (you generally have to pick the lane that is the lesser of two evils).  Sometimes this is not possible though and you have to go in with your heavies (sometimes leading with your face).  You can ask them nicely to push with you, but that does not always work.  I have included a link to a Ruinberg video with a similar situation (although not quite as squishy of a tank):

Ruinberg south - Object 140

Zeven,

How do you choose which replays to upload to youtube/twitch when you aren't streaming?

I can't ever catch the live stream but I watch your replays a lot off of live stream, and they are most helpful with my map knowledge and your strategic commentary is pure gold.  I have learned so much with regards to proper positioning and terrain abuse, I was able to get an Ace with a tank I never thought I'd get one with, the T71.

Keep up the good work!

[to Zeven] I find your comments useful even when it's just little observations with the big mini-map on display...'that 13 90 could have gone one bush further and got some lights on x,y,z).

Could not agree more.  Thank you Zeven for highly interesting insights as you are working moment to moment tactics in game.  Never seen another streamer that does this so calmly and concisely.  

BC

Zeven I was looking through your list of videos and realised that you haven't done one on Northwest. I was pretty surprised by one of RBS's videos where the general consensus seems to be that the southeast is strategically unimportant and the northwest corner (is that a hint in the map name) at A1 is key because it lights the middle as well as down the A line.

Personally I seldom go there because that place reminds me of the old El Halluf, except with mediums replacing heavies. There doesn't seem to be any opportunities for flanking or crossfire until you push up that slope, and by that time you probably already won that flank anyway. Is there any way to push here besides just peekaboom? On the southeast flank there are at least flanking opportunities from the 3 roads, and the top road can crossfire down to the bottom and middle from a certain spot. On the strategic aspect I don't understand why southeast is less desirable other than taking a bit longer to get back to cap and defend due to the slope, and maybe being more vulnerable to base camping tds but I feel that the opportunities there are greater.

So what am I missing?

Started watching anfeels/blue's stream - recent went from 2200-2500ish

Started watching Zeven's stream - performance went to 2900 D:

Gr8 stream i r8 8/8 m8.

EDIT: pluswan for facecam pls <3 tia

Hi Zeven,

In a match from today (10/28) in your Walker Bulldog on Himmelsdorf, you criticized a WZ-120 and AMX 50 100 player for stopping at D3 (see pic below).  Can you explain in more detail how the 1-3 lines should be played?  In addition the the two enemy Bulldogs on the 1 line, there was a Tiger II and KV-4 that showed up on the 3 line right when arty hit you.  It looked like the AMX 50 100 eventually moved up to E3 but was quickly killed after lighting an Object 704 at J1.  That's why I usually go hill.   :biglaugh: 

iOePkKg.png

Thanks for the great twitch streams!

I was wondering the same thing. You said most players don't understand positioning, which is certainly true. I know I'm only beginning to understand it on some maps. I was really curious why that was a bad place to stop. It's where almost everyone stops.

Is it that, in general, tanks should push together as far forward as possible on each flank to take map control? What do you do when no one goes without? The 50-100 shouldn't be alone out front, right?

Zeven,

How do you choose which replays to upload to youtube/twitch when you aren't streaming?

I can't ever catch the live stream but I watch your replays a lot off of live stream, and they are most helpful with my map knowledge and your strategic commentary is pure gold.  I have learned so much with regards to proper positioning and terrain abuse, I was able to get an Ace with a tank I never thought I'd get one with, the T71.

Keep up the good work!

As I am playing, I tend to make mental notes when I feel that something interesting happened in a particular match.  Did our team do something especially smart (or dumb) that deserves being pointed out?  How did I attempt to accentuate (or compensate) for the decisions?  Although I tend to do well in all of the matches that I highlight, I do not only choose highlights that say, "Lol, watch me do a ton of damage.".  I generally try to find teaching points.

Zeven I was looking through your list of videos and realised that you haven't done one on Northwest. I was pretty surprised by one of RBS's videos where the general consensus seems to be that the southeast is strategically unimportant and the northwest corner (is that a hint in the map name) at A1 is key because it lights the middle as well as down the A line.

Personally I seldom go there because that place reminds me of the old El Halluf, except with mediums replacing heavies. There doesn't seem to be any opportunities for flanking or crossfire until you push up that slope, and by that time you probably already won that flank anyway. Is there any way to push here besides just peekaboom? On the southeast flank there are at least flanking opportunities from the 3 roads, and the top road can crossfire down to the bottom and middle from a certain spot. On the strategic aspect I don't understand why southeast is less desirable other than taking a bit longer to get back to cap and defend due to the slope, and maybe being more vulnerable to base camping tds but I feel that the opportunities there are greater.

So what am I missing?

Northwest is the name of the map, man!  8)

I will eventually get around to doing highlights on each of the maps, but I have not gotten to Northwest quite yet.  I do agree that the northwest tends to be key for good players.  It is not that the southeast is unimportant, it has to do with the mid- to end-game.  Pubbies generally like to go southeast because it has corridors and cover.  The drawback to playing the southeast from either side is that both sides naturally funnel into choke points at the end.  I tend to think that playing the southeast on the map has a low skill floor/ceiling (it does not take a lot of skill to jam it up and even if you are really good, you are not guaranteed to dominate), while the northwest and the middle of the map require the consideration of a lot more variables.  That is not to say that the northwest does not also also funnel into a choke though.  However, controlling the north allows you high ground and vision control over the southeast choke (and the middle, but pubbies pretty rarely play middle).  I had a game last night along these lines.  I was not considering making it into a highlight, because I do not think either side played spectacularly, but maybe I will do a little side piece on it (if you really want, you can see the replay here: http://wotreplays.com/site/1284638?secret=cee8dea697790fe51d44baee90950af1).

y is there no facecam on your stream friend?;( 

Strangely enough, I would feel odd if people were watching me in real life.  I will take it into consideration though...

In a match from today (10/28) in your Walker Bulldog on Himmelsdorf, you criticized a WZ-120 and AMX 50 100 player for stopping at D3 (see pic below).  Can you explain in more detail how the 1-3 lines should be played?  In addition the the two enemy Bulldogs on the 1 line, there was a Tiger II and KV-4 that showed up on the 3 line right when arty hit you.  It looked like the AMX 50 100 eventually moved up to E3 but was quickly killed after lighting an Object 704 at J1.  That's why I usually go hill.   :biglaugh:

I was wondering the same thing. You said most players don't understand positioning, which is certainly true. I know I'm only beginning to understand it on some maps. I was really curious why that was a bad place to stop. It's where almost everyone stops.

Is it that, in general, tanks should push together as far forward as possible on each flank to take map control? What do you do when no one goes without? The 50-100 shouldn't be alone out front, right?

Ok, so this is going to be a really long post (I will have to figure out how to use spoiler tags later, so for now I will just link the images to keep the loading down).

Let us keep in mind that every position you can possibly take is dynamically changing between good and bad based upon what each of the two teams are doing.  Having one guy camping the Lakeville valley is a good thing.  Having ten guys camping the Lakeville valley... usually not so good (unless the enemy team happens to be pushing valley with ten tanks).

If you watch the stream, you will see that I always say the easiest way to win Himmelsdorf is to control the 1-3 lines.  This is for a couple reasons.  One, pubbies like going hill and 7-line (my safe haven theory of pubbie play).  Hill is a slow play and the 7-line is structured to be easily defended.  Two, you can take strategic forward positions on the 1 and 2 lines with fast(er) tanks, forcing the enemy to abort their western deployment or have to push forward across open ground against the threat of enemy fire from relatively protected positions.  Controlling the west then allows you to have suppressive fire through the middle of the map, force the enemy hill team to be one dimensional (by sniping the west side of the castle), or even put cap pressure on as needed.

Just because you want the 1-2 line, does not mean that you will get it.  Sometimes a failure of not committing enough resources (or maybe the enemy commits more), or perhaps your team just plays it poorly, will cause you to reassess how successful you can be on that side.  However, if you do not even try to get intel, much less take strategic positions, you will never gain the advantages of controlling the west.

Start

Fairly similar compositions, we have an extra 9 and more heavies, they have more tank destroyers.

14:39

I head west through the A line.  I cannot press directly to E1 in the Bulldog because if their T-54 pushes F1, he can bully me.  I need to see how our team deploys on the west.

14:31

Our WZ-120 and AMX 50 100 are moving through C3.  We have ample support headed this way in the Caernarvon, Jagdtiger, KV-4 and ST-I.

14:21

Our WZ-120 and AMX 50 100 move to D3.  This is a precarious position for them if the enemy team controls E1 and G6.  An enemy E75, T-54 and Tiger II are detected in G7.  We have committed 9 tanks to the northwest quadrant (60% of our forces including four 9's, three 8's and two 7's).

14:15

I detect two Bulldogs headed towards F1.  They do not take any suppressive fire.  Our WZ-120 is still in the same position.

13:47

The Bulldogs are now entrenched in F1.  I detect the KV-4 and the Tiger II.  They do not take any suppressive fire.  The enemy team begins a 5-tank push (M103, T-54, E75, JT and KT) on the 7 line.  Our WZ-120 is still in the same position.

13:28

It is obvious that we are not going to be aggressive on this side and that our 7 line is in grave danger.  I leave through the train station as our AMX 50 100 begins yolo'ing down the 2 line.  The enemy team is pressing their advantage on the 7 line.  Our WZ-120 is still in the same position.

13:17

Along with me and my 13 hit points, our ST-I and Caern are responding to the 7 line threat.  Our T71 attempts an admirable but futile flank on the 7 line.  Our WZ-120 is still in the same position.

12:45

Our KV-4 starts pushing down the 1 line.  Inadviseable since we have moved four tanks out of the quadrant, but whatever.  Our ST-I moves to flank.  I look for opportunistic side shots.  Our WZ-120 is still in the same position.

11:59

Our KV-4 is dead.  Our M103 and T-54 are engaged with an enemy T30 and IS-3 on the hill.  We have their 7 line push in a strong flank which allows us to pick them apart.  Our WZ-120 is still in the same position.

11:00

We have mopped up their 7 line and have begun a counterpush into their base.  The hill is still a little bit in doubt with our T-54 facing off against a T30.  Our WZ-120 is still in the same position.

10:46

Our WZ-120 left his position... to push into 4+ known tanks with little support.  Why now?  What advantage does he think he has at this point in the game?

10:27

Our WZ-120 is dead and the enemy Object 704 kills our ST-I.  The enemy Bulldog presses towards our artillery and the hill is still in question.

9:44

We lose our artillery, but kill the enemy Bulldog and T30 on the hill.

8:17

We kill an enemy KT on the west.  We have won the hill and begin pushing from a position of strength in the southeast with our healthy tanks.  Our JT is now in their cap area.

7:57

We kill the other enemy KT and I detect the enemy Object 704 moving south through E7.

7:38

I set up a flank with the T-54 and E75 with the hopes of baiting the enemy Object 704 in.

7:13

We lose our T-54, but I manage to flank the Object 704, allowing our E75 to kill him easily.  Artillery kills me from G4.

6:12

Capture base for great victories!

Scoreboard

T-54 (on hill), JT (mostly at the end), Caernarvon (drove all over) and ST-I (drove all over) did work.  WZ-120 did 1800 damage.

Breakdown:  If you are not going to win the 1-2-3 lines when you have the majority of your team there and you see your team getting pushed hard on the 7 line, then you really have two choices.  One, go help the 7 line (thanks to the Caern, E75, T71 and ST-I).  Two, if you see a large portion of your team go help the 7 line, defend your position and do not push... and certainly do not push one at a time (AMX 50 100, then later KV-4, then later WZ-120).

So how do I think that side should be played?  Something like this (another replay that I am probably not going to make into a highlight, but shows the technical aspects of being aggressive on this side):  http://wotreplays.com/site/1284776?secret=cee8dea697790fe51d44baee90950af1

Note that our Ru 251 has impeccable positioning this match.

Hi Zeven,

thanks for all the work.

Since I found your YT channel, I can see an improvement in my game play, just because of trying(!) to implement what you say about positioning etc.

I can't watch your stream live unfortunately, but I did watch the recorded sessions.

Now there's a problem witch you Twitch channel which gets muted because of the music.

Without your commentary it looses a lot.

Is there any way to change it?

Thanks for taking the time for that detailed analysis. From it I understand that your complaint that pubbies don't understand positioning is not really a complaint that they don't know where to go on a given map, but that they don't know how to read team disbursement to take advantage of local superiority or other tactical advantages and how to position themselves to support or exploit other player's positions. This is most certainly true. Of course, at the lower levels, they also have no idea what areas are important and must be controlled.

If ONLY even a fraction of pubbies understood suppressing fire and area denial, that would go some way to improving their positioning, I think.

Hey Zeven,

What do you do when you're playing Prok in a heavy and your team does nothing but camp A1/K1, island, track crossing, etc. and your lights aren't surfing the ridge? This seems to be happening to me a lot recently.and the results have not been pretty. Asking nicely/not very nicely for pubbies to move and support rarely results in any action.

In games like that, what gives my team the best shot to win? Try to act as the worst medium in the world? Play a normal position without expectation of backup? Adopt a "if you can't beat them, join them" strategy of camping with the pubs and trying to deal damage when they come for you?

thank you for reviewing my T-34-85. when you think you played the best and see you've made so many mistakes, I think it's like a revelation.

Hi Zeven, I am regular on your stream and it has helped my play a lot!

! question about spotting distance and view range.

Is there a point a crew can get to where you no longer need optics? Ie when you have BIA/situ Aw/Recon/vents will spotting distance be at a max and view range be sufficient that you no longer need optics? I ask this because my Leo 1 crew are nearly there (or could be there if I spend a bit of gold to rearrange stuff).

Cheers

Hey Zeven!!!!

Last night before you started to do replay reviews, we were in a game together.  You were platooned up with Mizerable and some WGLNA batchat arty player on serene coast.  I was platooned up with another batchat on the other team........

I was curious on what we should have done in that particular game because we should have won that.  From what I saw in that match too, the 50B thought a T95 that could hit for 750 in one shot was more important that a T57 driven by a -G- player that could dump a clip for 1600............. that's pretty much all I know from that match.

I have a replay here, but I don't know if it's working or not, it seems that wotreplays was fucking with me when I uploaded it?

http://wotreplays.com/site/1292409#serene_coast-shifty_101st-bat_chatillon_25_t

I hope it works! And thanks for letting me know what to do instead!!!

How would you consider playing the FV215B? on city maps where things become a brawl  the tank just generally feels hard to keep from being penetrated unless you get hulldown, it doesn't work like any other heavy so what would you consider I do in maps like ruinberg, himmelsdorf and lakeville? 

What's the best equipment to mount on batchat 25t? I don't play cw only pubs. thanks

Hi Zeven, I am regular on your stream and it has helped my play a lot!

! question about spotting distance and view range.

Is there a point a crew can get to where you no longer need optics? Ie when you have BIA/situ Aw/Recon/vents will spotting distance be at a max and view range be sufficient that you no longer need optics? I ask this because my Leo 1 crew are nearly there (or could be there if I spend a bit of gold to rearrange stuff).

Cheers

Remember that the range you will spot an enemy at will depend on his camo rating also. So more view range will always work to negate your enemy's camo rating. It's impossible to get "too much" view range in this sense. 

Remember that the range you will spot an enemy at will depend on his camo rating also. So more view range will always work to negate your enemy's camo rating. It's impossible to get "too much" view range in this sense. 

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Thanks.

Hi Zeven,

Thanks for your detailed answer to my question on that Himmelsdorf battle.  I think you answered the strategic question with this sentence: " you can take strategic forward positions on the 1 and 2 lines with fast(er) tanks, forcing the enemy to abort their western deployment or have to push forward across open ground against the threat of enemy fire from relatively protected positions."  Coincidentally, you had a battle on your November 3rd stream at about the 2:02:00 mark in your Ram II that shows how the 2 line should be played.  I'm assuming that the building on the south side of F2 is the strategic position you were referring to in your detailed post?  It looks like the AMX 50-100 could have clipped out the two bulldogs from there in the previous match?

In the replay you linked to, I tried figuring out how the enemy should have responded to your position in E1.  My only guess is that the Leopard and the AMX AC 48 could have gone west of the railroad cars at A1 and used them to dig you and the RU 251 out without getting hit by anything on the 2 line like the WT E-100, who probably wasn't spotted until the M103 yolo'd down the 2 line.

Thanks again.  I spend more time watching your stream than I do television.  :bravo: