Zeven

Zeven's Q&A with Ewe

323 posts in this topic

I can't watch your stream live unfortunately, but I did watch the recorded sessions.

Now there's a problem witch you Twitch channel which gets muted because of the music.

Without your commentary it looses a lot.

Is there any way to change it?

Unfortunately, the copyright muting is an automated system run by Twitch and is out of my control.  I try to run some nondescript music in an attempt to avoid this, but even still some of the stream seems to get muted by their algorithim (I have had sections with no music at all get muted before).

What do you do when you're playing Prok in a heavy and your team does nothing but camp A1/K1, island, track crossing, etc. and your lights aren't surfing the ridge? This seems to be happening to me a lot recently.and the results have not been pretty. Asking nicely/not very nicely for pubbies to move and support rarely results in any action.
In games like that, what gives my team the best shot to win? Try to act as the worst medium in the world? Play a normal position without expectation of backup? Adopt a "if you can't beat them, join them" strategy of camping with the pubs and trying to deal damage when they come for you?

As you noted, you can ask them nicely to move forward, but that is usually the extent of it, unfortunately.  Yelling at pubbies just does not work.  Using logic just does not work.  Just try to make the most of a bad situation, try to work different positions on the map and learn/practice new things.  Work on predicting what the enemy is going to do and decide how you are going to counter it (whether that be camping with your pubs or otherwise).

! question about spotting distance and view range.

Is there a point a crew can get to where you no longer need optics? Ie when you have BIA/situ Aw/Recon/vents will spotting distance be at a max and view range be sufficient that you no longer need optics? I ask this because my Leo 1 crew are nearly there (or could be there if I spend a bit of gold to rearrange stuff).

As noted by a previous poster, it is usually good to have view range beyond the "maximum" because it counters camo in the detection calculation.  The maximum view range is 445m.

However, just for giggles, we should consider the possibility.  These values are approximate (I always forget the order in which WG maths works).  The Leopard 1 has a 410m base view range, which means that with full BiA/vents (I forget the exact number for this combo, but let's say it approaches 5%), recon (2%) and situational awareness (3%), you would have a 451m view range (410 + 20.5 + 8.2 + 12.3).  I do not remember the exact equation, but for this theoretical purpose, let us say that this is enough to detect anything with less than 1.3% camo at maximum detect range (which is basically nothing that is not already firing).  With optics, you would have 492m of view range, allowing you to detect anything with less than 9.5% camo at maximum detect range.  Take these values with a grain of salt, but the moral of the story is that the idealized non-optic setup is *just barely* enough to max out your detect range (for detecting firing tanks and Waffles), while the optics setup will cut pretty significantly into the camo of most tanks.

Last night before you started to do replay reviews, we were in a game together.  You were platooned up with Mizerable and some WGLNA batchat arty player on serene coast.  I was platooned up with another batchat on the other team........

I was curious on what we should have done in that particular game because we should have won that.  From what I saw in that match too, the 50B thought a T95 that could hit for 750 in one shot was more important that a T57 driven by a -G- player that could dump a clip for 1600............. that's pretty much all I know from that match.

You could have been a little more active in figuring out what was going on in the west side of the map early on (especially since you could see that we had the majority of our high tier tanks on the east).  You do not make a move with your batchat platoonmate until more than 3 minutes into the game and you take your first shot at 3.5 minutes.  You have probably heard me say that games have a tempo to them.  The faster your opponent works on one side, the faster you have to work on your side otherwise you will fall behind.  You give me enough time for me to work on the east without much pressure.  You clear out the low ground by 5 minutes, but then you make a big mistake.  Instead of helping your team win the east where it was really touch-and-go, you push into a pincer in the base.  You did not really protect anyone by pushing into our base and it would have been much easier for you to flank me in the east.  Consolidate and crush.  You could have then attacked into our base from a position of power.

How would you consider playing the FV215B? on city maps where things become a brawl  the tank just generally feels hard to keep from being penetrated unless you get hulldown, it doesn't work like any other heavy so what would you consider I do in maps like ruinberg, himmelsdorf and lakeville? 

To me, the FV215b plays a lot like the Tiger II.  It is technically better off as a sniper because the gun is fantastic, but you also have to know when to use the beefiness.  You do have 2500 health and a decent turret, but hull down opportunities tend to be minimal and the 101mm side armor makes side scraping sketchy at best.  Snipe as best you can, but be in a position and prepared to use your health to keep your teammates alive.

What's the best equipment to mount on batchat 25t? I don't play cw only pubs. thanks

I use the same configuration on the BatChat 25t in random matches and tournaments or clan wars:  optics, vertical stabilizer and improved ventilation.  If you like, you can drop the improved ventilation for an enhanced gun laying drive (which will take the base aim time down around 2.43s).  I typically find that the aim time is not an issue as long as you are playing the flanker-brawler role that the tank excels at.

Thanks for your detailed answer to my question on that Himmelsdorf battle.  I think you answered the strategic question with this sentence: " you can take strategic forward positions on the 1 and 2 lines with fast(er) tanks, forcing the enemy to abort their western deployment or have to push forward across open ground against the threat of enemy fire from relatively protected positions."  Coincidentally, you had a battle on your November 3rd stream at about the 2:02:00 mark in your Ram II that shows how the 2 line should be played.  I'm assuming that the building on the south side of F2 is the strategic position you were referring to in your detailed post?  It looks like the AMX 50-100 could have clipped out the two bulldogs from there in the previous match?

In the replay you linked to, I tried figuring out how the enemy should have responded to your position in E1.  My only guess is that the Leopard and the AMX AC 48 could have gone west of the railroad cars at A1 and used them to dig you and the RU 251 out without getting hit by anything on the 2 line like the WT E-100, who probably wasn't spotted until the M103 yolo'd down the 2 line.

Thanks again.  I spend more time watching your stream than I do television.  :bravo:   

From the south spawn, you can play the F2 building, but generally the F1 building is better.  From the north spawn, you have to play the E1 side of the same building.  The problem with the approach from the north is that there are not very many places to stop safely.  This leads people to stop really far back and not push up aggressively at all.  Generally, if I see someone play the E1 position, I will push down to F2 in a heavy to support them.  They can flush the 1 line while I can shoot into the south side of the F1 building.  Without this cross-fire support, it is very difficult to win at E1 from the north with an inferior force (i.e., you are going to lose it unless you can already bully whatever tanks they send there).

Hi Zeven

I've recently acquired a fcm 50t and would love to hear your advice in how to play nimble mediums in general. At the start of the battle I play cautiously looking for flanking opportunities. I like getting into aggressive positions in some maps eg artic south spawn going to the base of northern mini hill) although I fear being swarmed/suppressed in them.

I feel that sometimes the map plays campy and I can't push in a fragile medium. Examples in fiery salient I either man hill or middle next to track but there is not much I can do beyond spotting and taking opportunistic shots. Meanwhile line 1 can be destroyed. Or in port I can do a bit in middle but don't find the fcm ideal to brawl there against the other mediums and the flanking opp in that map don't open till late.

in short. While in a medium. Does it pay to take an aggressive position from the start? Or is it better to play a bit conservatively, wait for the enemy to be spotted and spaces created? What is it dependent?

I can't seem to install the xvm mod, is it ok if I don't use any mods. Do mods give a significant advantage?

I've recently acquired a fcm 50t and would love to hear your advice in how to play nimble mediums in general. At the start of the battle I play cautiously looking for flanking opportunities. I like getting into aggressive positions in some maps eg artic south spawn going to the base of northern mini hill) although I fear being swarmed/suppressed in them.

I feel that sometimes the map plays campy and I can't push in a fragile medium. Examples in fiery salient I either man hill or middle next to track but there is not much I can do beyond spotting and taking opportunistic shots. Meanwhile line 1 can be destroyed. Or in port I can do a bit in middle but don't find the fcm ideal to brawl there against the other mediums and the flanking opp in that map don't open till late.

in short. While in a medium. Does it pay to take an aggressive position from the start? Or is it better to play a bit conservatively, wait for the enemy to be spotted and spaces created? What is it dependent?

The FCM 50t is a heavy classification that does play more like a medium because it has good speed and decent acceleration.  You do have to play it as a flanker-sniper though, because it does not really brawl well at all due to the size and lack of armor.  You *can* push into aggressive positions as you mentioned, but the FCM 50t is not the ideal tank for doing this type of thing (you ideally need something with a shorter profile and better armor, let us say a T-44 or something).  Do not let this stop you if you think it is the right play for your team though.  However, you should always, always, always look at your team behind you before you commit and make sure you have enough fire support to protect you in said position.

Typically, when I play my FCM 50t, I will watch what the more appropriate "scouty" tanks do first.  If they go to forward strategic positions, I will be sure that I am in a position to cover them.  If they do not, I will look to take those positions myself if I have enough fire support.

I can't seem to install the xvm mod, is it ok if I don't use any mods. Do mods give a significant advantage?

Mods simply help you organize the information that the game sends to you.

Keep in mind that in official league tournaments, WG does not allow the players to use any mods at all.  Thus, a lot of the world's best players practice in random battles without any mods at all.

Hi Zeven, thanks for the educational stream! Here's my question about camo:

Say two players are next to each other and hiding behind some bushes which are within 15 m of the players. If one player fires, does he reduce the camo bonus of the bush for the other player, making both of them easier to spot? 

Hi Zeven, thanks for the educational stream! Here's my question about camo:

Say two players are next to each other and hiding behind some bushes which are within 15 m of the players. If one player fires, does he reduce the camo bonus of the bush for the other player, making both of them easier to spot? 

I am not sure.  My impression of reading the mechanics are that bushes have the camo, not the tanks.  So if the bush loses the camo, it loses the camo for "everyone".

It would be easy enough to test in a training room though.  Just get two identical tanks with the same crew skills (no BiA or camo), put them side by side in a bush, have the spotting tank find the minimum non-detecting distance and then have one of the tanks fire.

I am not sure.  My impression of reading the mechanics are that bushes have the camo, not the tanks.  So if the bush loses the camo, it loses the camo for "everyone".

It would be easy enough to test in a training room though.  Just get two identical tanks with the same crew skills (no BiA or camo), put them side by side in a bush, have the spotting tank find the minimum non-detecting distance and then have one of the tanks fire.

Oh man somebody do this. Maybe even just put base 100% crews in each tank so we get the same baseline.

I remember seeing a video on youtube where this was tested back in the 8.x era. I haven't been able to dig up a link, but they basically took two tanks into the field behind some bushes and a third as "spotter."

The two tanks hid behind bushes hull to hull.

One fired. He appeared to the spotter. The other did not.

The conclusion was that the camo of the bush must be added temporarily to the individual tank and drops upon firing or exposing. Having said that there have been several changes to camo since then so it's possible that this is no longer true.

Either way it's almost never a good idea to be that close to someone in a bush anyway. If they get spotted you can get whacked accidentally as they get shot at.

So if the bush loses the camo, it loses the camo for "everyone".

As a programmer this sounds much harder to do than having the bush's camo change for the firer only. (Find all bushes w/in 15 m of shooter, find all tanks w/in 15 m of any of those bushes, re-compute all affected spotting line pairs...)

Hi Zeven, I´m newbie and always watch your videos. My biggest concern for now is about how to configure my zoom: number of steps (2, 4, 8, 16..more..less..), switch to sniper by shiftkey or with mousescroll..
My mistakes in the game happen because I lost sights over enemies when I try to zooming in close encounters.
Thank you!

Hi Zeven, let me add my voice to the throngs thanking you for your work and how it has helped me. 

I believe I'm at the point in my WoT career where I now realize that there are so many aspects of the game that I don't know.  The classic "Know that you don't know."  I hover on that cusp of enlightenment and can see glimpses of the path to purple, but then the fog closes in again and I'm at a loss as to why I can't carry the games I should.  My A-type personality doesn't help, and your advice about staying calm is spot on.  The appeal of this game is the heart pounding adrenaline rush that you get when you feel the game resting on your shoulders, but that is the exact time you need to find your Zen. 

Though you have a vast amount of specific tips, guides and advice, what can I do to keep myself pointed in the unicum direction and break out of the frustration of the "should have" games?  I keep WoT Tank Viewer open and refer to it after each battle, focusing on the particular tank that gave me trouble and double checking it's weak spots.  I have a flip chart of the maps with Sela's color shaded areas and refer to them during the team roster and countdown screens.  Is the other half simply logging more games?  But then I have to ask myself, "what am I doing to better myself in those games? ".

I know this is more of a philosophy question and state of mind, but I feel as though that's where I am right now.

Thank you for all your work and time,

Haz 

As a programmer this sounds much harder to do than having the bush's camo change for the firer only. (Find all bushes w/in 15 m of shooter, find all tanks w/in 15 m of any of those bushes, re-compute all affected spotting line pairs...)

I am merely interpreting the language in which the rules are presented to us (yes, I know that language is a huge barrier for this game).  I am not a computer guy, but what you say makes sense to me.  Unfortunately, I have the perfect foil to your argument... because Wargaming.

Hi Zeven, I´m newbie and always watch your videos. My biggest concern for now is about how to configure my zoom: number of steps (2, 4, 8, 16..more..less..), switch to sniper by shiftkey or with mousescroll..

My mistakes in the game happen because I lost sights over enemies when I try to zooming in close encounters.
Thank you!

The stock zoom in game is 2x and 4x, I believe.  I personally find that sufficient for all situations.  I generally use shift to toggle between zoom and third person (they are still working out the bugs for the retargeting).  If you are having problems using zoom from close range, either use the scrollwheel (so your brain can adjust to the serial changes in perspective) or do not use the zoom at all.

If you want to have a greater zoom than the stock 4x in game, you have to use a game modification.

Though you have a vast amount of specific tips, guides and advice, what can I do to keep myself pointed in the unicum direction and break out of the frustration of the "should have" games?  I keep WoT Tank Viewer open and refer to it after each battle, focusing on the particular tank that gave me trouble and double checking it's weak spots.  I have a flip chart of the maps with Sela's color shaded areas and refer to them during the team roster and countdown screens.  Is the other half simply logging more games?  But then I have to ask myself, "what am I doing to better myself in those games? ".

I am fairly certain that a large portion of your problems are likely from inexperience (you will get a handle on general armor layouts relative to the penetration of the gun you are using over time).  While studying weak spots is proactive and generally good, I am not entirely convinced that is what you need to focus on right now (I personally have never bothered to learn the armor of lower tier tanks, which is why I use contour icons).  Since you play more lower tier games (and light tanks), it is probably better to focus on your own movement and finding engagements that gives you or your team some sort of an advantage.

My general rule of thumb for encountering any tank:  Shoot it in the face.  If you can not damage it, shoot it in the side/rear.  If you still can not damage it, run away and find someplace else where you can be useful.  I see all too often in games where I am allowed to bully people because they are trying to pick out frontal weak spots on my tank while I am repeatedly punching them in the face.  If the odds are stacked against you, you need to consider how much you *really* need to press the engagement.  If it is, "Hey, I have to do this or we lose...", then fine.  However, more often than not, it is an engagement of convenience where you have control over the decision of whether or not to continue.  Staying there and fighting may be an opportunity to learn how to attack another tank, but keep in mind that it is at the opportunity cost of learning how to find/create other advantageous encounters.

I realized that i'm doing better in my T8 mediums in tier 10 matches then I do in tier 10 mediums . Question is why? 

It is a bit of a vague question... how are you defining "better"?  If you are getting more experience at T8, that is likely to be expected because of the tier bonuses.  If you are doing more (relative) damage at T8, it might just be that you are not playing to the strengths of the T10 (for example, while the Pershing plays like the Patton, the Indien does not really play like the Leopard 1).  If you are winning more at T8, it might be that you are not used to carrying from the top and need to be more involved in the action, especially in the early-mid game.

It is also dependent on the line you are playing.  The American medium line has about the same relative power at T8 and T10, the Russian mediums tend to be more powerful at T10 and the British mediums are less powerful at T10.

Zeven, I am wondering how far you analyse the enemy team before the battle and predict their positions? Do you just look at the overall composition of their team and try and exploit their weaknesses or do you attempt to predict a precise position of all their tanks and go to the best position to counter their more important tanks?

Zeven, thanks for the stream, its a really huge resource for someone like myself who is fairly new this game. My question isn't really mechanics related, but if you started out with a fresh account, how would you approach grinding the Tech tree? Right now I have quite a few lines ground out to Tier V or VI and I've been wondering if its a better idea to skip doing dailies in order to concentrate on playing one or two tank lines instead? On a related note, as far as crew skills go, do you think its worthwhile to stay at a tier for an extended period of time to unlock Sixth Sense at a mid tier before moving the crew upwards? I ask this because I'm currently running the M6 without 6th (89% first skill), and the T29 is just about unlocked. Would I be hampering myself too much in a Tier IX match with such an underskilled crew?

Zeven, I am wondering how far you analyse the enemy team before the battle and predict their positions? Do you just look at the overall composition of their team and try and exploit their weaknesses or do you attempt to predict a precise position of all their tanks and go to the best position to counter their more important tanks?

An ancillary question to this is how do you alter your strategy when you are solo pubbing and the enemy has a strong blue or higher platoon and you have 14 tomatoes on your team?  This situation is really getting me depressed about the game.

The game is a certain loss.  Do you try to get early damage, late damage, alternative strategy to actually win?  Is it possible to use your tomatoes to win against a strong platoon for us non-unicums?

Hi Zeven,

I am reading very interested the news about the forthcoming individual missions. What's in your opinion the best tank, to reach the goal for heavys, to get 14k damage, incl. blocked damage?

My Top-Tiers in the heavy-line are Tiger II, WZ111-4, the T32 (M103 grinded), AMX 50/100 (50/120 grinded). What is here the best choice to grind? E100, E5, AMX 50B??

Generally, I look at the tank composition on each team and, depending on the map, try to predict where they are going to go.  This is a very quick and vague prediction (when I talk about "pubbie meta" during the stream, I generally mean where the majority of pubbies take their particular tanks).  I then think about where I want to go and which tanks will be there to support or attack me.  I then start heading there and keep an eye on the dispersion of my team and whether I will get any early intel on the enemy dispersion.  It is all read-and-react from there.

Zeven, thanks for the stream, its a really huge resource for someone like myself who is fairly new this game. My question isn't really mechanics related, but if you started out with a fresh account, how would you approach grinding the Tech tree? Right now I have quite a few lines ground out to Tier V or VI and I've been wondering if its a better idea to skip doing dailies in order to concentrate on playing one or two tank lines instead? On a related note, as far as crew skills go, do you think its worthwhile to stay at a tier for an extended period of time to unlock Sixth Sense at a mid tier before moving the crew upwards? I ask this because I'm currently running the M6 without 6th (89% first skill), and the T29 is just about unlocked. Would I be hampering myself too much in a Tier IX match with such an underskilled crew?

You can grind your tank lines in whatever manner you find comfortable.  I like just doing dailies on a lot of lines as opposed to grinding through a single line at a time, but that is just me.  I know people who feel more comfortable doing it one at a time and are effective at it.  If you find your gameplay suffering because you are not "used to" the tanks you are playing, then it is probably time to focus a little bit.  However, once you get that under control, you can just do dailies if you like.

I would try to get sixth sense by the time you get to tier seven.  If that means doing extra games in lower tiers, it is probably worth it.  Remember, sixth sense is JUST AS IMPORTANT at low tiers.  The difference is that at low tiers, your opponents also may not have sixth sense.  At higher tiers pretty much everyone has sixth sense, which puts you at a significant relative disadvantage.

An ancillary question to this is how do you alter your strategy when you are solo pubbing and the enemy has a strong blue or higher platoon and you have 14 tomatoes on your team?  This situation is really getting me depressed about the game.

The game is a certain loss.  Do you try to get early damage, late damage, alternative strategy to actually win?  Is it possible to use your tomatoes to win against a strong platoon for us non-unicums?

There are a lot of possible answers to this.  Against a "superior" team, you can win either by turning the tide early or farming until late.  I do not think there is any evidence that either approach is more effective at actually winning these games.  My viewpoint is that I would rather practice doing things to help put my team in a position where they can be effective than practice farming damage.  Anyone can learn to deal damage if they simply play enough games, but learning how to create opportunities for your team (even if they are unable to take advantage of it) is incredibly more difficult and can always use some fine tuning.

I am reading very interested the news about the forthcoming individual missions. What's in your opinion the best tank, to reach the goal for heavys, to get 14k damage, incl. blocked damage?

My Top-Tiers in the heavy-line are Tiger II, WZ111-4, the T32 (M103 grinded), AMX 50/100 (50/120 grinded). What is here the best choice to grind? E100, E5, AMX 50B??

Some of those missions seem pretty unrealistic and is probably not something you should focus too much on (I think they are changing it from 14k to 7k though).  In response to your question though, the WZ-111 at tier 9 is probably the best and either the E100 or the T110E5 at tier 10.

Have you platooned with maxl_1023, and if you have, how much abuse did you get from him?

Hi Zeven,

Thanks for your stream and your YouTube channel, very helpful! 

Do you consider pubbie battle chat viable in any way?  I am asking because I have recently used the "Disable Chat" option in settings, and I prefer it.  I play better, enjoy the game more and don't get drawn into (nor am I tempted to instigate) the cancerous babble that often erupts...one still has platoon chat available and all other map clicks and F5/6/7/8 is functional so my thought is that I am really not missing out by disabling it.

Some of those missions seem pretty unrealistic and is probably not something you should focus too much on (I think they are changing it from 14k to 7k though).  In response to your question though, the WZ-111 at tier 9 is probably the best and either the E100 or the T110E5 at tier 10.

Thanks for help, Zeven!!! So we will see, what WG will realize. At next I will buy the M103. It's the shortest grind to a tier 10 heavy and I think, the E5 fits good to me.

Have you platooned with maxl_1023, and if you have, how much abuse did you get from him?

I platooned once with MaxL a couple years ago and did not have any problems.  He left Havok just before I joined, iirc.  He always had a reputation for being a rager, but that does not really bother me (remember, I played a lot with Mizerable).  MaxL is a tremendous technical player though, I just do not think he ever quite understood why everyone else did not see things exactly like he did (and that frustrated him).

I heard he mellowed out a bit.  MaxL has a Twitch stream now (http://www.twitch.tv/maxl_1023), which I follow and he seems pretty level.  I recommend checking him out as you really can learn from watching him.

I do have an entertaining rage-quit story though.  I was in a platoon with Kewei once and he rage-quit after about 5 games (all wins) because we were doing too much damage... :doubleguns2:

Hi Zeven,

Thanks for your stream and your YouTube channel, very helpful! 

Do you consider pubbie battle chat viable in any way?  I am asking because I have recently used the "Disable Chat" option in settings, and I prefer it.  I play better, enjoy the game more and don't get drawn into (nor am I tempted to instigate) the cancerous babble that often erupts...one still has platoon chat available and all other map clicks and F5/6/7/8 is functional so my thought is that I am really not missing out by disabling it.

I think you can take or leave pub chat.  I do not necessarily find it helpful, but it certainly does not hurt me.  My focus tends to be on my tank or the minimap and I very rarely check chat.  My advice is to just ignore it until you need to use it (sometimes you need to talk to people to coordinate).  If you can not ignore it, I guess turning it off works (you just have to figure out a way to communicate what you want through the in-game system).

Zeven,

make some new vids mate.

Plz;)

I am working on it!  I have a bunch of things that are in the queue to get made into highlights (including putting some of the replay reviews up).  My free time is limited by holiday season commitments though, so I have not been able to get as much done as I would have liked.  My schedule (and the stream schedule) should return to normal around mid-January.