Deathpig_Jones

T49 -- Land Arty in a Bite-Size Package

922 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

IIRC it's 85 for HEAT.

Huh...you are correct (assuming the wiki is also correct).

2 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

Off-topic, but I love how this thread originally started as theorycrafting, doubters of the tank's effectiveness, and "play the Ru instead" before evolving to its final form of "Cult of the Chode$tarz". The Path of True Enlightenment.

I don't know if I've posted this before but I would like to contribute to this marvelous thread. This is my favorite T49 shot:

1 minute ago, flare_phoenix said:

I don't know if I've posted this before but I would like to contribute to this marvelous thread. This is my favorite T49 shot:

*snip*

I want to say you have (in this very thread, even) but I honestly have no complaints so

In a follow-on from the ammo selection, for a T49 noob...

I get the selection between HE/HEAT reasonably well enough, but do you T49 pros use the standard HE or the gold HE? If I'm using HE, should I be going the Type 4/5 route and simply spamming the gold version of it?

I said it way back, i carry one gold he round, load it for my first shot in each game, when your likely to meet other light tanks and that tiny extra bit of pen can be the difference between a 350 and 950 roll

19 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

I know Macus said this already but it bears repeating: HEAT doesn't overmatch

That being said, one of the items I left off my list is Patton/Pershing LFP - you can in fact pen it with HEAT on level ground, and you can pen their UFP if you can negate the sloping.  It's pretty dope but generally not worth trying since you have to hit the exact right spot and they'd have to be retarded to give you a flat angle on their LFP.

Wait wait wait so you can pen M103s turret with 150 pen?????

Ahahahhah that tank is so garbage. Man how dafuck can WG think that tank can play as a tier 9 heavy. 

19 hours ago, PlanetaryGenocide said:

I know Macus said this already but it bears repeating: HEAT doesn't overmatch

That being said, one of the items I left off my list is Patton/Pershing LFP - you can in fact pen it with HEAT on level ground, and you can pen their UFP if you can negate the sloping.  It's pretty dope but generally not worth trying since you have to hit the exact right spot and they'd have to be retarded to give you a flat angle on their LFP.

Wait wait wait so you can pen M103s turret with 150 pen?????

Ahahahhah that tank is so garbage. Man how dafuck can WG think that tank can play as a tier 9 heavy. 

3 hours ago, Balthazars said:

I get the selection between HE/HEAT reasonably well enough, but do you T49 pros use the standard HE or the gold HE? If I'm using HE, should I be going the Type 4/5 route and simply spamming the gold version of it?

We like credits, because credits buys more cola, and more cola means more T49 fun. Anywhere between 0 to 4 premium HE is the norm. 0-2 is very common. Thank god its not like the Type 4/5 where the prem round has a higher damage value and thus is mandatory to get the most out of the gun. 

5 hours ago, Balthazars said:

Unlike the Type 4/5, the T49's gold HE only gives a minor (literally 9mm difference IIRC) increase in penetration and splash damage, but does the exact same damage.  This generally doesn't give any real tangible benefit outside of @Copeyhagen's use case and maybe if you're trying to go for a Bombardier medal and want the best chance at it - however, the splash increase is so minimal that if you could get Bombardier with it you probably would've been fine using a standard round.

I personally carry none at all, Cola is a more worthwhile credit investment for a given match.

From the Sheridan thread:

What about shooting Gold HE?
Gold HE increases the splash radius from 3.66 to 5.11. This increases the damage from a non-direct hit. Is the bonus damage enough to be worth the huge credit cost? I wasn't sure so I decided to do the math:

From the wiki:
actualDamage=0.5*nominalDamage*(1-ImpactDistance/SplashRadius)-1.1*nominalArmorThickness*SpallCoefficient

The important part is the factor (1-ImpactDistance/SplashRadius). As your splash radius increases the damage reduction for distance decreases. This is easiest to see when you put it into a spreadsheet:

nyKLvlw.png

As you can see in the table, the splash radius only begins to matter when you hit far away from the thin armor section. For direct hits it doesn't matter at all. Gold only gets you 35 more damage when hitting a meter away. So the question is whether you regularly hit far away from the weak armor. In my experience decking E-100s (which has the 40mm deck armor shown in the table) I typically roll in the 350-400 damage range. This means that firing gold HE would only increase damage by 10-20 which is miniscule.

Note that the damage increase from splash radius is independent of armor thickness so the damage increase is the same for 30/40/50mm decks.

Based on this math, I see no value in firing gold HE for deck shots unless it is an absolutely game clutching moment.

As for the penetration difference, the extra 9mm penetration of gold HE only leads to ~20% better odds of penetrating which is pretty miniscule. Going from 50% to 70% chance to pen isn't enough of a difference to make me load it - I'd rather just load HEAT and change that to 100% even if the alpha is a little lower.

I still carry two gold HE rounds. I like the idea of having one or two around for any game clutching must kill scenarios where the additional splash radius could give enough extra damage to secure a kill. That said, I think I've fired 1 gold HE round in the past 100 games or so. Ignoring it altogether is certainly reasonable.

And I was also a non cola user, now I couldn't play it with out it. 

Same - it's going to make me poor but I'm going to keep using Cola since i don't really buy things in this game anymore, my next purchase will probably be the Caernarvon and that won't be for a bit

2 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

I plan to nab at least 10mil in cola on discount

Me too. 

My main reason to run cola is VR - 505 meters is vision breaking. 

I wonder what my T49 viewrange is now - I finally remembered to switch out the GLD for Vents last night but I didn't actually check and see what it was.

I know I don't have all the VR skills yet but I think I have the 3% skill done, at least.  I turned off accelerate crew training for almost all of my tanks cause I plan to free xp something, either the TVP line, the FV215b if I can get enough xp before the patch, or the FV4005 for a different style of derping

WZ-132-1 or 610 games of profitable T49 spam, that is the question. 

Thanks guys, I wondered whether the extra pen on the gold round was worth the difference, my gut feel was an extra 9mm wouldn't mean much, but good to get the lowdown from those more experienced. I'm currently carrying 4 rounds but will probably drop it to 2 as I've barely ever fired any.

Still getting used to the gun handling on this thing, and I admit I'm too cheap to run premium consumables at the moment.

That said, game last night was glorious. Full ass-pen on a T95 (fire) for 1k+ damage, then got to finish him off a second time for his remaining 400+ hp. Then got to derp a Foch B pen in the side for 930ish damage as he tried to stop me getting his rear. He failed, and I finished him off too. On Kharkov. I admit, this thing is darned addictive.

I thought the same, to cheap to run cola, but I rarely lose credits now on a premium account.. And it's way more fun to play, smiles per gallon, not miles per Gallon

Who needs NA recruit? And are there any invite codes? I want to make my own very 'Murica T49.

39 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

Who needs NA recruit? And are there any invite codes? I want to make my own very 'Murica T49.

I've got 4 invites left, but I already have a crummy T95E2. Maybe some other masochist wants one?

2 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

I'd be happy to recruit you - PM me your email.

3 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

The best invite code I found a while back was WOTREDDIT. The code includes 7 days of Premium, 500 gold, and a brand new tier five Churchill III. Hopefully it is still active.

5 minutes ago, dualmaster333 said:

The best invite code I found a while back was WOTREDDIT. The code includes 7 days of Premium, 500 gold, and a brand new tier five Churchill III. Hopefully it is still active.

Yup, it is active and damn, Churchill III without crew and equipment is so creepy.

Miscellaneous Pubbie Abuse:

Ph38Qk3.gif

C9L2IIw.gif

@jacg123 is a little rusty but his instincts are still there. Enjoy these triple taps!

TPQewHW.gif

hrkKAZn.gif

Chodeslapping with the power of three:

5kwcJU1.gif

How to spoiler?

YnMY9UI.gif

GRrdlFE.gif