Sign in to follow this  
Fishrokk

Tiger (P), how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

77 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2017 at 5:08 AM, Tankthief said:

Started the grind today and will go trough the next 2 daya. Thank god for x5 and XP booster because this tank is terrible. Going to chaisnipe when bottom/mid tier and spam alot of gols. 

I've just finished the grind for the second time (because fck oyu WG), and I can tell you straight away that your biggest allies are experience reserves and your armor. It still gets quite a lot bounces. You are too slow, so flanking takes about 2 or 3 minutes :D The gun is in meh category, not bad but also not very good. There were times when I would miss three times in a row tank in brawling range. Premium shells are a must. Also, turn on assault and encounters, you can farm dank damages and spots in that modes. 3rd mark is around 1950-2000 so it's very achievable. Also be sure to know where are you going and who would you meet there, because you are so slow.... And yea, you have very little usable gun depression.

On 4/8/2017 at 5:26 AM, H4NI said:

I've just finished the grind for the second time (because fck oyu WG), and I can tell you straight away that your biggest allies are experience reserves and your armor. It still gets quite a lot bounces. You are too slow, so flanking takes about 2 or 3 minutes :D The gun is in meh category, not bad but also not very good. There were times when I would miss three times in a row tank in brawling range. Premium shells are a must. Also, turn on assault and encounters, you can farm dank damages and spots in that modes. 3rd mark is around 1950-2000 so it's very achievable. Also be sure to know where are you going and who would you meet there, because you are so slow.... And yea, you have very little usable gun depression.

I haven't found misses to be an issue, nor do I think one needs a lot of sprem - 203 base pen is more than plenty at tier 7, and you only get to 237 with APCR.  If you take on tier 9 heavies from the front, you aren't going to do much in any case, because the aim time is too slow, and your frontal hull armor, while near-mythical for its tier, won't stop higher tier heavies (and they can pen your turret frontally in any case, this isn't a t29).  You'll get murdered trying to aim in.  I agree that the tank is on the sluggish side, but it isn't so slow as to be gimped (IMHO).  Having said that, you are absolutely correct about knowing where to go before you start.  If you aren't top tier, I think this tank belongs in the second line as a supporting sharpshooter.

What really makes the tank, though, is that it has a CUPHOLDER:

bXtRqsX.png

I really want a skin that puts an empty Slurpee cup in that.  Or a crumpled can of Bud.

How can anyone play this tank?

Armor efficiency in the VK 30.01 P, a tier lower, with better gun handling, dpm and massively better speed: 0.47

Armor efficiency in the Tiger P: 0.56

The armor bounces nothing, doesn't matter if its at range or close, doesn't matter if its a tier 9 TD or a tier 5 med, they all go straight through the front, at this point I just have to play it like a Tiger I with a permanently stunned crew.

To use the armor.. find a wall, and stick your front out at ~35 - 45 degrees; while still hiding your hull sholder behind that wall. Better if the wall is on your left side, as you can hide your cupola behind the wall as well in that case. Even better still if there are some rubble on the ground to cover your lfp. 8 line corner on himmelsdorf south spawn is a good example of the positions you want to be at.

Doesnt work, people autopen lfp or gun mantlet, the most I've ever bounced in 60 games is like 14-1500ish

Too many drawbacks for too little advantages. Slow as fuck, thick but unreliable armor with tons of weakspots (if in doubt, shoot the shoulders or straight through the mantlet) and a DPM similar to an E100's 150mm after the loaders died and the ammo rack got damaged. The vehicle is garbage and a pain to get through nowadays.

It should get a DPM buff, not an armor one, i'm sick and tired of fucking armored giants in the game.

Holy shit this thing is a turd.  I love how WG makes this a nexus tank for three tier X grinds and then dares you to play them without 200k free XP.  My only real question is whether or not this thing is worse than the Black Prince?  I keep hearing people talk about armor, but this thing has no armor whatsoever.  I din't want a Maus that fucking bad anyway . . . 

This thing has the worst dpg of any tier VII HT I've played, like 200 below the fucking black prince and 50% less than the Tiger H and T29. Hell, I'm doing worse in this tank than in any tier VI HT save for the TOGII* and the T-150, which I have barely played yet.

BP still is the worst @ wr, but I'm barely reaching 51% with the P, meaning that I'm not even really help my team by say blocking damage.

It feels like a tiger H crewed by a totally rookie crew who tried to compensate their lack of skill by slapping extra armour haphazardly on the hull front, achieving nothing but a loss in mobility.

Still, I must be doing something terriblty wrong with the thing, as I'm barely green in the thing and can't even 2 mark it.

I'm only here because I had to buy the Tiger P back to get back on the path toward the Maus.

2012 (might have been 2011?):
Because, out of the only three tier tens in the game, in 2012 I started up the German line to eventually get the Maus
Because, holy hell, the Tiger tank gets penned by everything. I sold it twice, bought it three times, finally researched it out

2013:
Because, by that time, other lines had been added
Because, well, hell, my target of the Maus will have to wait a little bit more since it isn't a preferred nor capable Clan Wars tier ten
Because, "ooh! that Bat Chat is hot shit! That's the next tier ten I'm aiming for!"
Because, War gaming was giving away free gold for changing our passwords regularly, I started a second account (for the wife) and played the tier 5 premium I eventually bought with free gold
Because, that turned into me playing that account more and more to have a place to go to after being temporarily banned from the main account (when it came to dealing with bullies who push teammates out or shoot them - either to protect myself or other teamamtes)

2016:

Because, 'Hey, there are personal missions that require a HT to bounce shots - maybe it's time to get serious about the Maus just to get it?' 

2017:
Because, "Alright, this Christmas tree decorating shit is BULLSHIT - they aren't giving Americans the recipes on how to create the higher-tier ornaments, and I'm burned out from playing here after Christmas"
Because, nine months away from the game
Because, 'Hey, holy fook, I was RIGHT FOOKIN THERE WITH THE 4502 B, over 126,000 XP saved toward the Maus, and they changed the line?!?!?'
Because, I'll ignore the whole epic fiasco - "screw it - I'll focus on other lines then"
Because, "aw jesus christ, alright... I'll buy back the god damned Tiger P to research the tier 8 that I have to get to go up the Maus line again"

296 battles, 5 years later (though the Tiger P wasn't in the game back then, the Maus was), I finally get an Ace Tanker on the Tiger P

And, now here in December 8th, 2017, 347 battles later, I am one battle away from fully researching out the Tiger P ... again.

I'm getting ready to give up on this tank. Played about 25 battles in it but I call all those 25 agonies with 39% win rate. I just don't know what this tank is supposed to be. It can't brawl, it can't snipe, it's slow like molasses. It is a hair-ripper and a headache creator though.

I'm gonna have to buy it back to grind the VK 100.01.  But I didn't hate it nearly as much as some others here.  To me all German heavies below tier 8 play the same, as second line support tanks or pew-pew turreted TDs.

23 hours ago, Tanager said:

I'm gonna have to buy it back to grind the VK 100.01.  But I didn't hate it nearly as much as some others here.  To me all German heavies below tier 8 play the same, as second line support tanks or pew-pew turreted TDs.

Most of them are fairly mobile though, the Tiger P however, not at all and it doesn't bring anything to the table to offset this sluggish behaviour.

4 minutes ago, Madner Kami said:

Most of them are fairly mobile though, the Tiger P however, not at all and it doesn't bring anything to the table to offset this sluggish behaviour.

I don't disagree.  I simply don't mind it as much as others, and I find it manageable.

2 hours ago, Tanager said:

I don't disagree.  I simply don't mind it as much as others, and I find it manageable.

Meh, same here.  Manageable is a good way to put it and I don't mind it as much as others and yes done the Church VII (horrid) and Black Prince (less horrid) Grinds.  I originally started the Tiger(P) to get the VK4502B for heavy missions, then the line split with the buffed Maus (and nerfed VKb), and being a bit of a completionest I am unlocking the Ferdi from the Tiger(P) as well.  I think I have about 60k to go for the Ferdi and its elite. 

Heavy play is a weak area for me (of many).  One of the main issues I had to overcome was generally avoiding hull down play.  As the turret is shit you have to consciously overexpose to bait shots into the hull.  Given that most players at T6 and T7 (and even T8) dont know tank specific weakspots all too well, it generally works out. If someone does know how to pen you just disengage and move somewhere else or earn a quick trip back to the garage.       

Does anyone have any suggestions for this thing in the current meta? The only time I actually manage to have good games is when I’m semi-brawling. When I’m just supporting a better heavy and pop out to take snap shots, otherwise my performances are pretty much garbage and I love heavy tanks and excel in them. This tank just feels extremely one-dimensional. Am I right about that or am I just terrible?

You guys have been missing an important detail, which is the cripplingly shit gun depression in additional to all the other standout qualities of trash armor, glacial speed, and pathetic firepower. I'm concerned it still has 380 view range though, it breaks the entire theme of being absolutely worthlessly terrible in every single way possible.

On 12/13/2017 at 4:33 PM, DirtyACE7 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for this thing in the current meta? The only time I actually manage to have good games is when I’m semi-brawling. When I’m just supporting a better heavy and pop out to take snap shots, otherwise my performances are pretty much garbage and I love heavy tanks and excel in them. This tank just feels extremely one-dimensional. Am I right about that or am I just terrible?

I don't think it's you.  I think you have to pick a flank and support it - you cannot easily relocate any appreciable distance, and you can't fight multiple tanks at once.  If you can bait shots into your angled front hull armor, you can bounce a fair amount, but that's really the only trick you have to play.  So stay in the 2nd line (it is not a good bully) and try to keep your gun firing.

Jesus Christ! I'm almost done with this utter pile of crap. I was originally going to just grind out the VK100.01 and then sell it but after I was done I decided to bite the bullet and grind out the VK45.02A also and now I'm only 13k away from selling this shit stain of tank.

I've just finished the grind today - last 150k to unlock the Ferdi. I ground all 3 of the branch tanks as well so never have to go back to it.

It's a pretty terrible tank, but I perform reasonably well in in. 123 games to complete the grind (will play 2 more to get a nice round number for my OCD). Just under 60% win rate (pretty darned good for me), 1,490 damage per game and I managed to 2-mark it (if I keep playing probably will 3-mark it eventually too, I think my marks are still going up, but...yeah, no I don't think so). Somehow haven't managed a mastery badge though!

I think playing the Types so much helped get some armour usage because you can angle the front heavily and bait a shot if you can hide the shoulder. Although part of that is helped by people usually aiming centre of mass and hitting that autobounce plate. The turret is utter garbage, everything goes through it and you have the huge cupola on the top. Against anyone spamming gold or who knows how to aim, the front is trash as well. It's slow. It has awful DPM. I don't understand how the 'armour' is apparently worth half the DPM of the Tiger I in the same tier. It's decent enough as top and middle tier, but will get absolutely manhandled by tier 9s (well, most tier 7s will I suppose) and if you let a light tank get close to you, it's goodnight because it turns slow, the turret turns slow, and it's really long.

Will be glad to see the back of this thing.

At this point, I doubt that even if they gave it the Tiger H DPM it still wouldn't be nearly as good or even close to OP.

Tiger P is the one tank in my garage that I continuously avoid playing, even during x5 events, with free premium time and whatnot; it just can't do anything right, even when top tier.
Hell, in one battle I was getting penned shot after shot by a T67 (who was probably autoaiming) while he was backing off and I was zig-zagging advancing towards it, that moment was just surreal.

Based on the crap mobility and one-dimensional playstyle, I'm growing tempted to move this from the "doesn't annoy me as much as it does others" column to the, "cannot wait to sell this," one.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:21 PM, Fedaykin89 said:

At this point, I doubt that even if they gave it the Tiger H DPM it still wouldn't be nearly as good or even close to OP.

Tiger P is the one tank in my garage that I continuously avoid playing, even during x5 events, with free premium time and whatnot; it just can't do anything right, even when top tier.
Hell, in one battle I was getting penned shot after shot by a T67 (who was probably autoaiming) while he was backing off and I was zig-zagging advancing towards it, that moment was just surreal.

At least if it had the same DPM as the Tiger I it would have one advantage to leverage. The armour is just so riddled with weakspots it can't be relied upon.

I've finished those last 2 games, and have now sold this tank. Thank goodness.

4 minutes ago, Balthazars said:

The armour is just so riddled with weakspots

The hull armour is riddled with weakspots.

The turret armour IS a weakspot.

But, yeah, the most infuriating thing is the bloody gun.

The tiger P looks like the retarded cousin of the Tiger H manned by the retarded cousins of the Tiger H crew.

Sign in to follow this