104 posts in this topic

I just got my due to the 15% price reduction. So far the stock grind is pretty meh and I am not even sure what to grind first: Sometimes the mobility is crippling, sometimes it is the lack of penetration with the 122mm gun (yes, I shoot gold when needed, but the gun handling feels way worse than on the IS-6 and the 122-44. Possibly due to track bloom and stock turret.).
I am almost convinced however that I will research the gun first engine second and turret+tracks last. It is simply too painful to be unable to punish a ferdi 300m away just because your gun lacks either the pen or the accuracy for most weak spots.
Also I got off to a bad start with this thing: 2nd game was an AP-shell hit by a GW Tiger. -.- Insa death from full HP.

With 64k exp to go I have now played enough games to revise my opinion on this tank. I really don't like it. It's so inflexible and the mobility is a joke. You can't be aggressive at all and it's easy to get zerged too since the dpm is so low. The armor can generate lols but isn't reliable vs anything higher tier. Also the lower plate is thin and massive. To top it off it has lame gun depression. Definitely not a keeper for me.

I have the KV-4 now since a few days. The engine and the gun are upgraded.

A rolling bunker with a nice gun. Could hold a flank even against Tier IX and X. Was top performer in a tier IX battle.

Slow as a KV-1 or a Churchill III but a much nicer gun.

KV-4 is love, KV-4 is life <3

The KV-4 is unplayable for me - such a complete lack of mobility would kill me for sure. If it wasn't for that it'd definitely be intresting. The armour is pretty damn though.

Side note: the Ferdi needs some love - either in the gun (faster rpm than both JP2 and Rhm) or in the armour department (superstructuree needs to be able to bounce somewhat regularly 220 pen guns) - because now it's really underwhelming and it's pretty sad because i would play the fuck out of it if it wasn't so behind others.

Had a great game in this today.  4.1k damage ace on Kharkov.  2.9k blocked by armor.  Still hate it though.

Long time lurker, first post. This land battleship is my 2nd T8, and it is everything I wished for.

I read this guide back when I was grinding my T150 and looking ahead, and I wanted to thank you for this excellent guide (after 90 or so games I've just unlocked the turret to be fully upgraded and have a 57% winrate thanks to this guide, which also helped my T150 and KV3 play as well, as they have similar playstyles, 420 games played from T150 to KV4, 57-58% WR on all of them)

I love sidescraping in this beast. and the long 107 is fantastic (saved Free XP after I elite'd the KV3 for it so have had it since game 1). 

Thank you again for this excellent guide, it's helped me enjoy many hours of gaming and improved me as a player.

My KV-4 is now fully equipped and researched.

A hell of a tank. It's fast enough and the gun is good. Could bounce 2 shots of a E-100 yesterday.

Of course I got killed later but meanwhile my team could go around and sealed the deal.

Solo it's easier to play than the IS-3. The only problem is the bad viewrange and Waffels playing invisitank spamming gold at you.

I didn't even notice this thread.

I personally really enjoyed the KV-4. It's basically a Russian KT which trades mobility for some other interesting features.

Here is a fun replay in which I solo a 704 in my KV-4. You will no doubt laugh, as I laughed, as you watch the foolish 704 bounce shot after shot off my turret cheeks :-)

Never realized how much I rely on mobility before I played this garbage. So huge and inflexible. In t9/t10 it has absolutely no strengths to leverage. Even in t8, competent players make your sidescraping irrelevant by shooting your shitty turret cheeks/ring. And it's too slow to wiggle effectively. Not fun.

Here it comes - KV-4 gun buff.

107 mm ZiS-24 mounted on KV-4 turret (Stock)

Reload time was 11.4 and became 11
Aiming time was 3.4 and became 3.1

107 mm ZiS-24 mounted on KV-4-5 turret (Elite)

Reload time was 11.1 and became 10.3
Aiming time was 3.4 and became 2.9

Elite configuration

+50 Hit Points

Glad to see. Honestly, the KV-4 needs it - but more than that, the tank is just miserable to drive. Better gun handling along with slightly more HP/DPM to fall back on when the goldspam starts is a very good thing.

It's not a big buff, but I think KV-4 drivers deserve a little something more than "well my hull is like 210mm if I angle perfectly. Please dont shoot my tumor."

Seem nice all-round small buffs, a bit more dpm, a bit faster aim, and hp never hurts, played 15 games last week, and it still felt powerfull, also 2 ace tankers and 4-5x 1e class, so ppl still cant play it :P

http://wotreplays.com/site/2209301#teams

http://wotreplays.com/site/2209311 (dat turret armor)

(cant find back the other ace tanker game, forgot which map and too lazy to search for it)

On 12.10.2015, 17:32:27, Rexxie said:

Glad to see. Honestly, the KV-4 needs it - but more than that, the tank is just miserable to drive. Better gun handling along with slightly more HP/DPM to fall back on when the goldspam starts is a very good thing.

It's not a big buff, but I think KV-4 drivers deserve a little something more than "well my hull is like 210mm if I angle perfectly. Please dont shoot my tumor."

Either the pubs are better on NA at shooting the KV4 or the goldspam makes the tank worse since I tend to agree with you on 99% of the tanks but here it strangely works. Hell I drive it with the 122 for now and it still works. Doesn't get a ton of damage and it's slow but it gets a great winrate because it's really good at blocking enemy pubbies from pushing. Of course your team on the other flank won't win always but it's surprisingly decent. Given I'm a masochist and I grind 3 tanks on t8 without a top gun (jgpz II, T28 prot and kv4) I like this the most without the top gun. Will never be a great damage farmer and the skill celling is probably rather low as with all tanks that have weak firepower and weak mobility but for a shitter like me it's good. 56% at the end should be easily doable.

12 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

Either the pubs are better on NA at shooting the KV4 or the goldspam makes the tank worse since I tend to agree with you on 99% of the tanks but here it strangely works. Hell I drive it with the 122 for now and it still works. Doesn't get a ton of damage and it's slow but it gets a great winrate because it's really good at blocking enemy pubbies from pushing. Of course your team on the other flank won't win always but it's surprisingly decent. Given I'm a masochist and I grind 3 tanks on t8 without a top gun (jgpz II, T28 prot and kv4) I like this the most without the top gun. Will never be a great damage farmer and the skill celling is probably rather low as with all tanks that have weak firepower and weak mobility but for a shitter like me it's good. 56% at the end should be easily doable.

This tank baffles me. An orange friend of mine has 60% win rate after 100 battles in the KV-4, even with a poor armor use ratio and poor damage done/received ratio. The armor scheme seems pretty meh. 

15 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

Yeah, it might just be a difference of expectations and server meta. The goldspam culture should hurt the tank over here, and low skill ceilings are of course more noticable. Still, I've heard a lot of people say they like it, so more power to them. In my opinion, a KV-4 is often just a poor man's 110.

1 hour ago, Tarski said:

This tank baffles me. An orange friend of mine has 60% win rate after 100 battles in the KV-4, even with a poor armor use ratio and poor damage done/received ratio. The armor scheme seems pretty meh. 

Maybe it works somehow on other players , dunno. My avg wr is high and though my DPG is shit and do much more dmg in my at15 it somehow wins games. Doesn't feel like i contribute but somehow i do.  Though I think I need to update my account so people don't judge me by the 49% wr account I gave away :P  The only thing that annoyis me with this thing that on some maps I have no clue where to go with it when not top trier.

1 hour ago, Rexxie said:

Yeah, it might just be a difference of expectations and server meta. The goldspam culture should hurt the tank over here, and low skill ceilings are of course more noticable. Still, I've heard a lot of people say they like it, so more power to them. In my opinion, a KV-4 is often just a poor man's 110.

To be honest It may be to do with the fact that untill I get a new monitor I'm playing on a shitty mac that tends to overheat and snapshoting and any fast twitch play is impossible for me (though still is8 works great, obj 140 somehow doesn't while it worked wonders on my pc)

The 110 is that good though? Thought the gun is a bit derpier than the is3. 

7 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

Thought the gun is a bit derpier than the is3. 

It is, and the KV-4's gun is derpier than both of them by a longshot. .08 bloom on the IS-3, .10 on the 110, .16 on the KV-4.

110 is a lot faster and has a better gun, it's just a case of how much better is the KV-4's armor scheme to you. Personally I really like the strong, rounded russian turret on the 110. I'm not a fan of the 110's pike nose, but I can forgive it because it's 265mm thick and the weakspot (the back of the pike) isn't often taken advantage of because on every other piked tank it's the strongest part. The KV-4 certainly has a lot of armour and is hugely better at sidescrape or fighting multiple opponents, but the 110 isn't far behind and offers a lot more flexibility.

46 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

It is, and the KV-4's gun is derpier than both of them by a longshot. .08 bloom on the IS-3, .10 on the 110, .16 on the KV-4.

110 is a lot faster and has a better gun, it's just a case of how much better is the KV-4's armor scheme to you. Personally I really like the strong, rounded russian turret on the 110. I'm not a fan of the 110's pike nose, but I can forgive it because it's 265mm thick and the weakspot (the back of the pike) isn't often taken advantage of because on every other piked tank it's the strongest part. The KV-4 certainly has a lot of armour and is hugely better at sidescrape or fighting multiple opponents, but the 110 isn't far behind and offers a lot more flexibility.

Need to finish the is2 grind then. I agree on the kv4 though. Taking multiple oponents is great in this. Good for the strange changes in EU meta I've been seeing lately. People go to chokepoints waay to often recently so it's easy to exploit that if you fight your voice telling you that place is stupid and you shouldn't go there.

If you meant on the 110, here's where you shoot:

2bVoQwt.png

The extreme edges of the pike are sloped less than the rest, which is different from other tanks. It's still pretty thick (220-225mm), but by far the most reliable place to pen with your average 240-260 pen shell if the lower plate is hidden. The rest of the UFP is 250-260mm.

Was excited to research the KV4 after I finished with my KV3 but I had a 1v1 with a KV4 and that top commander's hatch is a very easy and serious weakspot. It's almost like the R2D2 on the KV5.

On 11/21/2015, 8:27:16, crapcannon said:

Was excited to research the KV4 after I finished with my KV3 but I had a 1v1 with a KV4 and that top commander's hatch is a very easy and serious weakspot. It's almost like the R2D2 on the KV5.

Lies! The hatch has the same armor as the turret.