98 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Played it for the first time since the buff, feels almost like a new tank. You can actually hit something now and the DPM is no longer a total joke. Still pretty inflexible but it's finally competitive in its single viable "brick heavy" role.

What other tank in the game do you think it compares most closely to now?

22 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Played it for the first time since the buff, feels almost like a new tank. You can actually hit something now and the DPM is no longer a total joke. Still pretty inflexible but it's finally competitive in its single viable "brick heavy" role.

Only did 2-3 games after the buff, but certainly gonna play it in the future (need skoda T50 before it gets nerfed + type 4 grind almost done)

(gonna try to get 3 MOE, i havent played it that much, and already 84% or so)

When this thing gets penned frontally by IS-6 AP you know the armor is a joke and only here to stop bot from penning you. 

Edit: when you get superuni stat by doing 1800 avg. dmg. in this tank you know that something is wrong ! 

Played a few KV-4 games with Solono and noticed I was basically at the end of the grind, so I converted a couple hundred gold's worth of free XP and finished it off. Final stats, including stock grind:

101 Battles
70.3% Victories
2050 DPG
1080 Avg XP

So that's that, glad it's over. I had a love-hate relationship with the thing, but it was mostly just hate. The tank took me ages to grind - I have sniper medals on it, a medal that was removed back in early 2014. The tank spent most of the last two years either sitting in my reserves or having been ragesold.

Armor is good. Gun is good enough. Neither make up for the speed. Pen is the main reason it's competitive with other T8 HTs. Good choice if you aren't a superunicum, don't like spamming gold, or you're feeling lazy. Bad choice if you spam gold in your other T8 HTs already. Bad tank compared to the KV-5, which does every role the KV-4 can do better (except for dislodging well armored T9s) or just as well as it, while also being graced with preferential MM.

...but there's many worse tanks than the KV-4, so I can only complain so much. This grind was not nearly as unbearable as the Type 4's.

Time to grab the ST-I and finally finish off experiencing all the stalin steel!

Stock: painful.  Upgraded, actually not bad.  In any kind of open map, it really suffers, but in cities, etc., it's fun.  Collecting Steel Wall medals by the hatful, and in a sidescrape you are all but unpennable unless you do something stupid (which I do from time to time).  Gun handling on the top gun is a great improvement over the 122mm, and yes, pen.  I am looking forward to the ST-I, however...

Finished the grind and played a few more games, 182 games 67% winrate solopub.  I actually put spall liner on it with rammer + vstab to test their effectiveness(pretty good when people start spamming HE at you due to fail at aiming).

It's a pub monster and, at long range, you can juke heat-spammers by getting the flat cheeks back into cover before their shot hits(so it bounces off the highly angled side turret or side of miniturret on top).

For some reason snap-shot seems surprisingly accurate despite soft stats indicating otherwise.

It's still a great tank imo, even after all this time. Also, the review on page one remains correct after 3 years. However, it's not a flexible tank, more a tank that dictates where you go instead of the way around.

I think, for most unicums, who enjoy taking control over battle (which is an important aspect!) the IS-3 is just unbeatable in this aspect. KV-4 is great when you like control over one lane or a city grid tho, it can withstand so much punishment in those situations that it can get silly.

Not an unicum in it, I just enjoy it's awesome (side) armor & the punishment it can take. Something to note, that I don't see many people do in the KV-4 is this: always drive angled. It's a narrow tank & it really helps in preventing your LFP getting shot as you approach the enemy.

And yes, arty is going to love you, the only times they don't is when either you're in city or when there's something even juicier around (french heavies)

On 2/7/2016 at 5:10 PM, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Wait when did this thing get a buff and WHAT got buffed?! Dispersion and reload?

I have 2 MOE before the buff! I haven't taken out that tank in 6 months!

3 hours ago, crapcannon said:

Wait when did this thing get a buff and WHAT got buffed?! Dispersion and reload?

I have 2 MOE before the buff! I haven't taken out that tank in 6 months!

They buffed the tank's main gun, the ZiS - 24, it received better reload (by a second!) and improved aimtime too. The two main complaints about it's gun. Also 50+ HP when driving with the top-turret (already gave a 50 hp buff, so after patch it became 100 hp). Armored Patrol; KV-4 Buff

Buff might sound weak for those not familiar with the old gun handling stats, especially with how some tanks got buffed everywhere, but it made a world of difference for KV-4 drivers anywhere, as the gun is now pleasant to handle & use. Also competitive.

No other buffs (or nerfs, always good, no nerfs!) Despite it being russian, devs always had a hands-off approach to the KV-4. Still not HD tho.

So does this thing just burn from side hits? Just picked it up, after all of 8 games I've been set on fire 3 times, and in two games I've been set on fire twice. 

- It's all from side hits as I've taken flank shots, and I'm not running extinguisher ,nor does my crew have FF. So some it it's is preventable, just haven't noticed anyone really commenting on it, so wondering if this is just  my usual terrible RNG, or if I pretty much have to run with a AFE and FF on the crew to play this.

56 minutes ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

So does this thing just burn from side hits? Just picked it up, after all of 8 games I've been set on fire 3 times, and in two games I've been set on fire twice. 

- It's all from side hits as I've taken flank shots, and I'm not running extinguisher ,nor does my crew have FF. So some it it's is preventable, just haven't noticed anyone really commenting on it, so wondering if this is just  my usual terrible RNG, or if I pretty much have to run with a AFE and FF on the crew to play this.

Every tank in the line burns from hits to the rear sides.  I think anything in that entire line requires AFE.  It's not worth the risk, and you're giving up some of the advantage the line has (survivability when holding a static position) if you don't carry an AFE.  It's an absolutely boss sidescraper, and you're going to take incoming shots at the rear of the hull...a LOT.

On 1/12/2017 at 2:48 PM, UrQuan said:

I think, for most unicums, who enjoy taking control over battle (which is an important aspect!) the IS-3 is just unbeatable in this aspect. KV-4 is great when you like control over one lane or a city grid tho, it can withstand so much punishment in those situations that it can get silly.

Just quoting this to underscore what I was saying above - while the tank is pretty inflexible, you can sometimes singlehandedly defend a flank or corner simply because it takes a LOT to kill this thing.  Properly angled it can bounce Jagdtiger APCR from time to time (grinding the JT, so have experienced this personally recently on the wrong end of the exchange).

Also for crew skills, anything that helps mobility is really good - things like clutch braking/off-road driving make a real difference IMHO.

39 minutes ago, Tanager said:

Every tank in the line burns from hits to the rear sides.  I think anything in that entire line requires AFE.  It's not worth the risk, and you're giving up some of the advantage the line has (survivability when holding a static position) if you don't carry an AFE.  It's an absolutely boss sidescraper, and you're going to take incoming shots at the rear of the hull...a LOT.

Just quoting this to underscore what I was saying above - while the tank is pretty inflexible, you can sometimes singlehandedly defend a flank or corner simply because it takes a LOT to kill this thing.  Properly angled it can bounce Jagdtiger APCR from time to time (grinding the JT, so have experienced this personally recently on the wrong end of the exchange).

Also for crew skills, anything that helps mobility is really good - things like clutch braking/off-road driving make a real difference IMHO.

Yeah switched to AFE, and now gone 5 games without a fire. So..might have been poor RNG, but I'll be leaving it on for a bit.

I dunno about the "defending" thing, it can, (and I have already) but...it seems its one of those tanks that's amazing vs players who don't know where to shoot it, but useless vs those that do.

I've bounced a number of shots, only to get penned as soon as I turn my turret to take a shot myself, hadn't realized how crap the front turret armor was until an IS6 put an AP shot through it.

Not really loving it so far , although I'm pretty sure it's my skill set that's keeping me doing so, but it's not nearly as bad a tank as I had thought it would be. Probably won't be keeping it around after I unlock the ST, but the grind is certainly not going to be that bad. 

2 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Probably won't be keeping it around after I unlock the ST, but the grind is certainly not going to be that bad. 

Top gun makes a huge difference on the KV4.  And with the ST-I, you will a turret that almost nothing can pen frontally, so there's that to look forward to. :)

3 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

I dunno about the "defending" thing, it can, (and I have already) but...it seems its one of those tanks that's amazing vs players who don't know where to shoot it, but useless vs those that do.

Pretty much everyone loads sprem as soon as they see it.

If I remember correctly.. the entire right side of the tank is basically fuel tanks, which is the main cause for all those fires.

always was interested in kv-4

isn't this thing a side scrape monster??

2 hours ago, KurapikaHxH said:

Yes it is. Personally I love it, albeit being on a slow side of T8 may be painfull from time to time.

11 hours ago, KurapikaHxH said:

Yes it is, and it's fantastic at it even in the hands of a scrub like me, the problem is all those times you can't sidescrape, or where your team decides to let unfriendlies drive unopposed to where they get better shots at you. 

If you can sidescrape, it's a beast, if you can't..well the gun seems great, but armor and mobility is trash. 

2 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

If you can sidescrape, it's a beast, if you can't..well the gun seems great, but armor and mobility is trash. 

I think trash is overstating it.  KV-4 returns you to a kindler, gentler pre-OPBrick time when angling actually counted for something.  Re: mobility, enjoy the ST-I with the stock engine. :)

If/when you do unlock the ST-I, wait to buy it - the on-track event next month is this line.

3 hours ago, Tanager said:

I think trash is overstating it.  KV-4 returns you to a kindler, gentler pre-OPBrick time when angling actually counted for something.  Re: mobility, enjoy the ST-I with the stock engine. :)

If/when you do unlock the ST-I, wait to buy it - the on-track event next month is this line.

3 hours ago, Tanager said:

Yep, that's why I've started the grind now, think it's the second on track for September.  

And I'm going to stick with trash. 

The problem with the armor is that it's great- if you angle vs one opponent, But you can shoot through the turret face (and it's a big face) with 175 pen (rolling high) So as soon as you turn your turret to shoot..again great vs one opponent, (especially one stupid enough to fire when i have the turret angled), but (and maybe it's just my play style) the number of times I get to fight 1v1 is pretty low.

I can see how this was a great tank back before the box tanks, and the swedish TD line, but now? Too many boxy sides. I'm pretty sure even the Tiger 2 bounced more long range fire than this (although- to be fair, this is far better anytime you can sidescrape, at least it works far better for me)

23 hours ago, Canadian_Reaper said:

Yep, that's why I've started the grind now, think it's the second on track for September.  

I'm assuming you've got the IS3 ground out completely, no?  If not, you'll want to do that, b/c none of the guns carry over from the KV4 to the ST-I...other than the stock 122 mm with 175 mm base pen.  On the ST-I, it is beyond agonizing.  The top gun on the IS3 is the second gun on the ST-I, and you will *absolutely* want it ground before you play the ST-I.  With the top gun, though, the ST-I is for my $$$ one of the best defenders in the game.  The turret laughs at almost anything it faces, and -8 degrees on a Russkie heavy?  YES PLEASE.

1 hour ago, Tanager said:

I'm assuming you've got the IS3 ground out completely, no?  If not, you'll want to do that, b/c none of the guns carry over from the KV4 to the ST-I...other than the stock 122 mm with 175 mm base pen.  On the ST-I, it is beyond agonizing.  The top gun on the IS3 is the second gun on the ST-I, and you will *absolutely* want it ground before you play the ST-I.  With the top gun, though, the ST-I is for my $$$ one of the best defenders in the game.  The turret laughs at almost anything it faces, and -8 degrees on a Russkie heavy?  YES PLEASE.

Yeah I'm looking forward to that turret and 8 degrees.

Yeah this is the second Sov HT line, went IS7 first. Think that's part of the reason I'm ...irritated with teh KV4, the IS3 was just so easy to use.

Stock shouldn't be an issue, I always try and have enough free XP to outfit at least most of the modules on anything T8+