Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BeLiAL124

Building a PC for Solidworks

30 posts in this topic

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Fz2qWZ

Here is the list I threw together, the goal is to have the system run for the next 5 years minimum.  My boss needs to upgrade from his very very outdated PC and doesn't care about spending some extra money for premium components.  The PC needs to last a long time, and be fast because the one thing he will not be happy with is having to upgrade anytime soon.

He is currently working with Autocad 2000 an knows it's time to go to new software and 64 bit.  So what do you think of this build?  I know it's a bit insane, but insane is what he wants.

I don't know if a workstation GPU would be better or not, I have read mixed reviews on them.

Dont know a huge amount, but is he really totally fine for 5 years with 480 gbs? At that cost I would not think a normal large HDD would add much.

Just my 2 cents, maybe he is fine with that amount of storage.

I think everything is fine with the exception of the CPU cooler. The Coolermaster hyper 212 series is really the only option. Sure it is only 50 dollars cheaper, but it outperforms half of the 90+ dollar closed-loop liquid coolers on the market. Also, I would go with a Samsung SSD, just because they are the fastest on the market. I don't like the case, but that's personal. For that style, most of the Corsair ones are better. Also yeah, throw a 3-4 TB HD in there. 1Tb is really not enough nowadays.

what are you doing in SW.

Dont know a huge amount, but is he really totally fine for 5 years with 480 gbs? At that cost I would not think a normal large HDD would add much.

Just my 2 cents, maybe he is fine with that amount of storage.

You name it we do it with Cad.

The SSD is probably plenty, I could add more storage but I doubt he would use it...not hard to add more if he wants it though.

What have you heard about Quadros? I thought they were the standard for professional 3D software.

You name it we do it with Cad.

The SSD is probably plenty, I could add more storage but I doubt he would use it...not hard to add more if he wants it though.

i was just curious, i use SW mainly to models parts that i machine on our CNC lathe/milling

What have you heard about Quadros? I thought they were the standard for professional 3D software.

Just read mixed reviews where some people see better performance from something like a gaming card.  Don't know much about Quadros

Just read mixed reviews where some people see better performance from something like a gaming card.  Don't know much about Quadros

Neither do I. I've heard something like "Gaming cards are like Porsche's and Quadro's are like Hummer's"

Maybe you should just go with the reliable standard gaming cards =\

Fuck buying a car after my first real  post-grad school job: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Nhnkzy

Also, most quadros cost upwards of 2k last I checked. I have an old one that I got for free that, when new, went for like 4k+.

Fuck buying a car after my first real  post-grad school job: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Nhnkzy

Also, most quadros cost upwards of 2k last I checked. I have an old one that I got for free that, when new, went for like 4k+.

I want to build him a computer, not a mad science project lol..

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LvLWyc

^ for SCIENCE! ...projects

1. The selected Disk Drive has no Blu-Ray capability nor LightScribe (surprisingly useful)

2.Why air cooling when water cooling is about the same price but is far more quiet and generally just as effective if not more effective?

3. Will a Full-Tower case not extend your PC's life expectancy due to superior cooling? (see other posters comments about top-down cooling below this post.)

4. Arctic Silver is nice, but probably not necessary if you purchase a water cooling system which lasts for 5+ years without maintenance.

5. From experience, Corsair Force GT SSD's are VERY reliable and quite fast. Corsair all day.

5. If he is going to invest so much in RAM, why not go balls deep and buy Corsair Dominator sticks?

No idea about Quadros/FirePros and SolidWorks but ...

1)

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-motherboard-150hee997kr --- EVGA boards which end on KR (EVGA FTW 150-HE-E997-KR) offer

extended warrenty after registration. The same goes for Gigabyte Black Edition boards (not sure if available in NA) and ASUS TUF Series - I think no X99 yet.

2)

That aside the Fractal Design Define R5 will be available until christmas - a better R4, will fix nearly everything that wasnt perfect about the R4.

3) Will that system be running for extented periods of time? If yes consider a top/down blower CPU cooler like the Scythe Grand Kama Cross 2. It wont be able to keep up with the very best tower coolers cpu-temp, but it beats them when it comes to cooling cpu-power delivery and everything else around the cpu-socket -> component longevity benefits. In case of the GrandKama Cross keeped the dimension of the case in mind - that cooler is 175mm tall.

aren't there better TIM's than arctic silver these days (and aren't electrically conductive either)?

aren't there better TIM's than arctic silver these days (and aren't electrically conductive either)?

sure - but 2°C better temps dont play a role for workstation builds, cause you dont OC it to the limit. Though I agree with that electrically conductive thingy.

I missed that 780T case, I added that instead..was looking for it!

The thermal compound is up in the air..I agree about the electrically conductivity.

I like the Phanteks cooler...he doesn't want liquid in his system.

2.Why air cooling when water cooling is about the same price but is far more quiet and generally just as effective if not more effective?

It has been more than 10 years since I built my last liquid cooling computer but it wasn't much quieter as it had 3 fans in the radiator. 

It has been more than 10 years since I built my last liquid cooling computer but it wasn't much quieter as it had 3 fans in the radiator. 

This is somewhat more quiet than the stock PSU cooler and the fan on the HAF 932 Advanced case it replaced. From this and others, my experience has been that water cooling systems are typically a tad more quiet. Not that I notice any noise though with my Sennheiser's on.

I missed that 780T case, I added that instead..was looking for it!

*snip*

I like the Phanteks cooler...he doesn't want liquid in his system.

I've never heard of one of these non-custom made water cooling systems leaking. There is pretty much a zero chance of it leaking unless you take a wire cutter to the hose. I couldn't think of a single reason why he wouldn't want water cooling. You should probably research some of these coolers and ask him again, making sure to distinguish between these and custom made water cooling systems. The benefits of water cooling are worth it imo.

Actually, whats the difference between a Workstation card and a gaming card? What is one doing that the other isnt? Why is this useful work gaming/workstation and not the other?

I had a look between the Titan listed in the op, and amds top Workstation card (which is $6K NZL, compared to the Titans $1700 or so) and they were practically identical. the AMD card has 250GB/s data transfer rate, and couldn't find the Titans transfer rate

I am a professional CAD modeler. I dont use Solidworks just dont like it.

I run Rhino, T splines, Z brush and am trying to get into 3ds max.

I use flamingo, and V ray for rendering.

I also use Gaming PCs for my boxes.

The trick to CAD is that it is processor and memory intensive not so much Video card. Vid card does handle the rendering but the basic cad work is all math processing.

Like a game its all about speed. The faster the processor the faster the build.

Actually, whats the difference between a Workstation card and a gaming card? What is one doing that the other isnt? Why is this useful work gaming/workstation and not the other?

I had a look between the Titan listed in the op, and amds top Workstation card (which is $6K NZL, compared to the Titans $1700 or so) and they were practically identical. the AMD card has 250GB/s data transfer rate, and couldn't find the Titans transfer rate

That's basically what I gathered from researching workstation cards..just over priced for no extra gain.

I am a professional CAD modeler. I dont use Solidworks just dont like it.

I run Rhino, T splines, Z brush and am trying to get into 3ds max.

I use flamingo, and V ray for rendering.

I also use Gaming PCs for my boxes.

The trick to CAD is that it is processor and memory intensive not so much Video card. Vid card does handle the rendering but the basic cad work is all math processing.

Like a game its all about speed. The faster the processor the faster the build

That's why I chose the badass 8 core intel CPU..I could go Xeon but I am not familiar with them.  I chose 32 GB 2666 ram which is the new DDR4 and should be pretty sweet.  I didn't pick dominator's because they are not low profile.

I chose the Titan black just to have a GPU on par with the CPU.

Is this a stand-alone, or are you storing the part files on another server?  (I see no redundancy, RAID, anything.)

One TB is fine, way fine, for a Solidworks Box.  That's because in the business world, you always, always, always, backup your part files once a week at the bare min.

Once a night is better, with a rolling two weeks of saves, and a monthly save.   You can't afford to give away weeks of paying work, redoing files.

EDIT:  Go here, https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/46864

After reading that one, maybe try and expand from there......  I don't use SW, or the base Catia because we are a NX & Dyna kind of house, but there are good things about using business parts for business apps.  The driver question, alone, drives the GPU.

You are building a CAD PC for an engineer.  He wants reliability more than performance.  Buy workstation graphics and pay the premium for a certified and properly supported driver stack.

Solidworks publishes a list of certified Cards+Drivers.

I would use a K2200 because it is cost effective.

And here's a benchmark that shows what the K4200/K5200 premium will buy you.

If it was you, I'd say go ahead and using gaming hardware.  But it's not you, so why subject someone else to the hassle?

I discussed the GPU with him and he wanted the Titan.  Honestly if it ends up being the wrong decision changing out a GPU is the easiest thing to do in a PC.

It's just nuts that from everything I have read the only difference between a Quadro and a Titan is the Titan has far better speccs but they lock some features to force you to buy a quadro...

And the driver support.

If it is choppy when rotating parts I will know I need to look at it closer..I have read there are settings in SW that can effect performance if they are not enabled.

I am just finishing up the build now.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0