Solono

Crack down on arty related rule violations.

125 posts in this topic

I agree with the part about people hating on arty to the point where the entire forum looks dumb. I hate arty, and I'll downvote anyone who is a try-hard arty player coming on to this forum to troll, but I'm not going to go around all the topic threads and to the statuses constantly saying "fuck arty". It's looks stupid, it's repetitive, and if you constantly post it it makes you look like a whiny jackass imo.

That being said, I still hate arty with a passion. I just hope that the players that say "I love purple tears" (Not to name anyone specifically) get punished just as much as the players saying "fuck arty-playing pubbies". 

I just hope that the players that say "I love purple tears" (Not to name anyone specifically) get punished just as much as the players saying "fuck arty-playing pubbies". 

They will, it's just as bad as raging about arty and will not be tolerated as well.

First I think that this rule is a necessary evil. Unfortunately that's simply where the forum has reached regarding this topic. Caused by a poorly implemented game mechanic that is frustrating to deal with by the community as a whole. Knowledge is the sole recourse we can reasonably apply to work against this scourge. As others do, I come here to learn how to improve as a player and a frank and untainted discourse on this subject is a necessary evil. Reasonable discourse is the way forward. Thank You.

Edit. Fixing my grammar! woah

Just to clarify, do these sanctions/restrictions apply to status updates?

Yes. If you have to rage, use the Venting Room, I don't want the front of the forum filled with people ranting about arty like it is prone to being.

Solono!

You sir are spot on! I always have had the impression that as a community we hold ourselves to a slightly( ok minisculely..is that even a word?) higher standard. I do dislike Arty especially when it takes out my JT88 when I am on a roll, but  how many of you are happy to see that arty take out most of the hit points on that tank you can't seem to get to? So constructive not destructive criticism is what we need here. Like you stated Arty is in the game ...PERIOD.

Thanks Solo

This will be very difficult on us for awhile, and I'm sure Pity/Miros/Dlur and the crew will be busy in the short term, but like all things I'm sure we'll adjust. I'm also a firm believer in what TheEmptyLord said in another thread...I think that griefers play arty to farm rage, and if there is less sperging ingame and in forums, maybe their numbers will eventually go down. Containing the rage won't be easy, though, mine included. :/

Why am I doing this? Quite frankly, the behavior of people in this community toward arty is downright disgraceful. We can hold logical, meaningful discussions about practically anything but arty and that which attempts to take place is destroyed by emotional, ridiculous posts. That ends today.

I'm not trying to tell you to accept arty, or like it, I'm simply telling you the amount of arty hate, the weight of all the seemingly uncontrollable rage hurts this community. It drives people off, gives us a bad reputation and defeats the goal of this place; to help people get better. That includes arty for as long as it is in the game.

I felt the same thing...

This is good. I've always been bothered by the way (specifically) irrational anti-arty gibberish has festered here. A lot of days, it's been yet another echo-chamber on the internet, which is clearly NOT what this place is supposed to be.

There's room to like, there's room to dislike, there's room to analyze and criticize, but directed and tolerated hatred is nothing but toxic, regardless of where it's pointed.

To me, this issue is magnified a hundred fold when I see our youngest posters gleefully parroting the meme and carrying it forth, applying it to others, and learning the implicit lesson that treating people as third class citizens and existential others simply because it's cool to do so is somehow acceptable behavior.

What if an OP creates an arty thread,asking for advice and it ends in an flame war?

I suppose everyone who shitpoasts in there would get a warning.

This, as well as all the offending posts being removed.

A lot of ``arty hate`` was no real arty hate anyway, even from Garbad or so..... who tked arty 4 fun?, because thats what real haters do, a real hater would take the risk of losing, pure to make arty mad...

If it wasnt for getting banned, i would tk arty at the start of every game with more as 1 arty, 50% winratio + the guarantee i made arty rage > winning 65% and arty alive....

They ruin my game, i ruin their game, i play wot for fun, getting blasted by arty is no fun, so i then can either do something else or tk arty and have fun that way...

That said, this is a good change, because many discussions, like that silly arty mod, end in a huge circle jerk, Folter is right when he says it barely matters, yet everyone repeats eachother with how arty is ***** or ******....

Whenever there is a thread about someone being an arty sympathizer, can I post this?

shoo_pirates_caribbean.gif

Depends on what you mean by that context: If it's someone trying to accuse someone of it, that thread will be binned anyway for being stupid, if you'd be using it on someone who likes arty, no, not cool.

I disagree with the status updates. Part of what makes Wotlabs successful has been the ability to post what you want within reason without fear of moderation. Letting off some steam from a community that can sympathize with you is an important part of this forum. I understand the need to curtail the threads and posts that don't contribute anything to discussions but the status updates is a step too far. 

But how will alpha-gamers be able to crawl up each others asses now?

But how will one farm reputation is one is not allowed to post #Fuck_arty_cancer_ebola_dick_piss_shit?

in all seriousness, this was long overdue.

Finally, thank you Solono! I was getting real sick and tired of all the QQ'ing about artillery, justified or not. I've come to accept the fact that every so often I'm gonna get my tank smeared across the ground by xvm-hunting arty; it's gonna happen no matter how much screaming I do. Time everyone else accepts it as well.

I disagree with the status updates. Part of what makes Wotlabs successful has been the ability to post what you want within reason without fear of moderation. Letting off some steam from a community that can sympathize with you is an important part of this forum. I understand the need to curtail the threads and posts that don't contribute anything to discussions but the status updates is a step too far. 

Right now, given how prevalent status updates are filled with it, it was a necessary measure. Plus the policy is not one for eternity, and when the situation improves, status updates will be the first thing loosened from it but right now, as I said, regulating them against it is a necessary evil in order to 'detox' the forum.  

Plus there is the Venting room thread for those who absolutely must rage about it. I am trying to make this as painless as possible while fulfilling my obligations to make this community as accessible, successful and approachable as possible. We also do moderate things within reason, but a status update that is just "Fuck arty" and having multiple of them on the front page makes us look like clowns and is pointless.

Welcomed changed, needed. I get **** **** **** **** hit by arty more than most (thx, clan tags!) but the irrational hatred was stale and not really beneficial. I do have friends who could only play arty due to VERY poor computers, and yes while its a broken mechanic it doesnt mean the arty players deserve the hatred. Direct that at WG Devs  :tongue:

We'll be reasonable on that matter. You be too, and all'll be fine.

As Solono says, for now refrain using them as an alternative to sperging in threads, but once the novelty wears off... Just don't systematically do it.

Depends on what you mean by that context: If it's someone trying to accuse someone of it, that thread will be binned anyway for being stupid, if you'd be using it on someone who likes arty, no, not cool.

:( Alright.