Mekata

Need tips for arty avoidance, or how to be arty safe while keeping your gun in the game.

27 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Any players out there willing to give tips for avoiding arty on the "open" maps. Specifically Malinovka Hill, Prokhorovka in general, and Redshire South Spawn, Heavy Corner. I recently unlocked the E75 and have found that I have become more of an arty magnet than usual. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. 

The best way I can put this is by example/comparison.  Arty in game is the sniper in the bell tower.  You are the soldier.  Run to cover, all the time every time.  If you are in the open, you are doing it wrong.

That being said, you need to know a few things anyway.

1) Where is the arty firing from? Because you may be hiding behind a house, but if arty is on your side.....you'll get hit.  Always position cover between the arty AND yourself.  You can only do that knowing where arty is.  This is simple to find out WHERE arty is because they will shoot at you, and a hit marker will appear.  Guesstimate it towards a grid square, adjust, and boom cover :)

2) KNOW YOUR INTERVALS.  If an arty just fired at you, what is his reload? 1 minute? 30 seconds? Whatever it is, that is how long you have to act/move up before he/she drops another nuke on you.  And if you are in a tier 10 match and you have the autoloader firing at you, how many shots did that arty fire? 3? 4? Know arty reload times and when to move.  If you don't keep intervals you will certainly die.

For close combat with an arty.....if you are closing in on him, bob and weave.  Throw off his aim.  If an arty is sitting on a corner and waiting for you to poke around.....bait his shot.  Make him fire, then kick the living shit out of him :)

Hope this helps :D

EDIT: Completely forgot this part.  On open maps, the main cover you have are hills.  There are 3 parts to a hill, the base, the top, and the mid.  Generally, hiding on the top of a hill is suicide, not only against arty.  The base.......flattens out a bit so not a good area either.  Use the middle part of a hill as cover.  The arty shot will go long, or short.  Or they simply won't be able to hit you.

2) KNOW YOUR INTERVALS.  If an arty just fired at you, what is his reload? 1 minute? 30 seconds? Whatever it is, that is how long you have to act/move up before he/she drops another nuke on you.  And if you are in a tier 10 match and you have the autoloader firing at you, how many shots did that arty fire? 3? 4? Know arty reload times and when to move.  If you don't keep intervals you will certainly die.

This is by far one of the easiest counters to arty. In almost every platoon and clan war battle I've been in, we always call out when arty has fired. Depending on the type of arty on the enemy team you'll know how much time you have to breath and make care free plays.

I always tell pubbies when arty is firing at me so that they know they are free to push.  I.e. I'm on east flank so mid or west can go ahead and attack with out fear for a little while.  Unless theres more than one of course...

That being said, I've NEVER seen a pubbie inform the team that they were targeted and the rest of us are free to move :/

It also helps to know what spgs you are playing against-  if they have a narrow gun traverse (like some of the russian spgs) and you feel like he is focusing you, you can really give him a hard time by relocating and forcing him to traverse and begin the long aim process again. Ex: you might be taking shots on hill from middle, say, 5 or 6 line on Prok, and an arty shell lands close- maybe you want to move over for now. You do not want to be static at all. Obviously, this is much easier in more mobile tanks than sluggish ones...

On maps like Prok

1) peak over hill to shoot

2) get spotted (arty will move over to you)

3) start backing up and swerving and weaving like a drunk driver

4) throw it in forward to fake out, then start reversing again

5) dont stop #3... moment you stop your tank... you're toast

6) *splash* *miss*

These guys are the toughest to shoot on that map.

If you have an e100... dont go mid lol.

I did not very good at them, sold them all in May, but I played a lot...still about 18% of all my games, iirc.

Just confirming SonOfABench.....keep jiggling....if a yellow or worse has you in his sight he'll tend to continuously over-correct for what he thinks your next movement is gonna be.

I did not very good at them, sold them all in May, but I played a lot...still about 18% of all my games, iirc.

Just confirming SonOfABench.....keep jiggling....if a yellow or worse has you in his sight he'll tend to continuously over-correct for what he thinks your next movement is gonna be.

I should also say though... "Fool me once, shame on you..."

Poor players may not, but great arty players will pick up on your patterns.

- Stop poking over in the same damn spot

- Stop backin up and down the hill in a straight line

- Stop backing down the hill in your stupid S pattern

Best tip: Take one arty line, play it, learn whts safe and whats not. Profit.

While I am just starting out my clicking career I can fully confirm this and especially the point about not repeatedly peeking the same spot. At best you can poke twice from the same spot if you feel risky. If I notice a tank using the same spot again and again I will preaim there and wait for him to do it again. When he stops to shoot and aim I click (depending on shell travel time i might click behind him) and usually this nets a hit. This is also how I lost most of my HP to arty. Try not to do it when you can switch your spots.

Also follow Paranojas advice. I currently find that a lot of spots I thought would give me decent protection are completely open to arty fire from even the most common clicker hiding spots. Also this helps you to think exactly like the arty player without having to think a lot about it during battle. The more I currently click myself the easier I start to find it to predict when I might get clicked simply because I start to judge my own tastyness to arty on my clicker experience. 

Also given the newly released arty mod: Don't trust any ridge line to protect you. You basically NEED direct cover now to avoid an RNG-hit. That said ridges still help, they just don't help as much as they used to do.

Will dispense reps once I am recharged. :thumbup:

+1 reps to all of those who responded, thank you all for the advice and I will try to implement it into my gameplay tonight. Also, I guess I will replay some SPG I tried when I was a nooblet.

If you're in a heavy, it's obviously much harder to keep moving. BUT, a few things that make it difficult for arty players:

1) Most important: Get 6th sense. Know when you're spotted. Once you see that light bulb and you realize you've been still for those 3 seconds, MOVE immediately and expect an arty shell to land right near you. If arty is pre-aimed to a general area, expect an arty to shoot within 3 seconds. 
2) Move frequently and unpredictably if you're spotted and you know arty has a thing for you. Make yourself an annoying target. Make the enemy arty want to pick on an easier target. Moving unpredictably means move in one direction for 1-2 seconds. Stop for 1-2 seconds. Move again for 1-2 seconds. This works almost always, unless the arty accidentally gets you. Most arty will fire when you stop for more than 1 second. Pretend like you're ready to camp there for a bit, and then move. 2 seconds later you'll see an arty shell right where you were. Baiting arty shots is like baiting any other tanks to shoot. Pretend like you're giving them a chance to hit you/your weakspot and at the last second, you want to move and throw them off.

3) As said above, learn basic reload times for arty pieces. Always try to bait a shot from arty and then shoot/engage when they're on reload. 
4) If you're on a hill, stay on your side of the hill and only poke over to let off a quick shot and back down. Staying on your side of the hill makes decreases their accuracy heavily (bigger chance of them hitting in front or behind you). 

5) Never drive in straight line for more than 3 seconds if you're spotted. Just turn a little bit if you have to. If you're driving in a straight line, any decent player is capable of leading and shooting you/splashing you even after you are no longer spotted.

6) Obvious, but use cover whenever possible. Know your enemy arty. If you've got FV304's shooting at you, then moderate cover is not enough. Just move a lot more in this case. Russians and Brits have higher RoF. French tier X is an autoloader with an extremely long reload. (3 shots in clip).

7) Don't get spotted in the same spot twice. First time you're spotted, arty will aim on you and wait for another spot. Second spot, arty will shoot you. If you're in the same spot, arty won't need much time to aim. If you get spotted in a different spot, arty has less time to figure out your pattern and aim and shoot by the time you disappear again.

8) If brawling, never sit still. Facehug, move forward and back. NEVER EVER stand still or simply turn your hull unless you're arty safe. When an arty sees you turning your hull without moving forward and backwards, it will shoot you and it WILL hit you hard bc it gives them enough time to aim and gives the shell time to travel to you.

1) Where is the arty firing from? Because you may be hiding behind a house, but if arty is on your side.....you'll get hit.  Always position cover between the arty AND yourself.  You can only do that knowing where arty is.  This is simple to find out WHERE arty is because they will shoot at you, and a hit marker will appear.  Guesstimate it towards a grid square, adjust, and boom cover :)

Question about the hit marker and arties. Say your facing south and the arty is north of you. Say the arty shot goes long and splashes right in front of you (as you're facing south). Where will the hit marker appear? In the south, where the splash damage came from? Or would it appear exactly in the direction that arty fired from, irregardless of where the shell landed and splashed you?

Do da arti wiggle yo.

But in all seriousness. Just stop every once in a while, especially when making a predictable move.

Ricochet gets so mad when playing arty and someone stops. :serb:

Question about the hit marker and arties. Say your facing south and the arty is north of you. Say the arty shot goes long and splashes right in front of you (as you're facing south). Where will the hit marker appear? In the south, where the splash damage came from? Or would it appear exactly in the direction that arty fired from, irregardless of where the shell landed and splashed you?

I was told here on wotlabs that the hit marker is from the source of the shot (the arty) and not the source of the damage (the splash).

From a code sense it that makes sense, because doing it differently for splash would require more code

Every wot player who gets by arty makes the same mistake.

They hit the battle button.

I was told here on wotlabs that the hit marker is from the source of the shot (the arty) and not the source of the damage (the splash).

From a code sense it that makes sense, because doing it differently for splash would require more code

it is from the source of the arty.  you can use this to coordinate with platoonmates.  ex:  I was platooned in my CGC with a clanmate in an E100, we got prok (yay for him).  my platoonmate takes an arty shot, but is able to tell me which grid square the arty was in.  I countered the arty on his next shot.

One trick that can ruin an arties aim, if you know theyre aiming at you (and you know their rough travel time which requires some clicking experience) you can stop for like 1 - 2 seconds in place and then randomly drive backwards or forwards (choose one for a few seconds, dont waggle back and forth) as many arty players will see the opportunity at the stationary target and fire at you

note, if this is a T92 or CONQ GC dont try this

they will just shit on you with their splash dmg

become red and u hav forcefield, jk. Just keep moving and wiggle... not much you can do past that.

Play the game as if they are not there. Engage the tanks you are facing not the arty. In the long run this will serve you best.

become red and u hav forcefield, jk. Just keep moving and wiggle... not much you can do past that.

so legit thou

My arty avoidance tactic is to draw a U with my tank. Poke the ridge, spot/fire/whatever then hard reverse then partway down the slope hit a hard turn. Draw a U.

If they predict straight backward or wiggles or whatever they'll fire along your last direction when really you have moved 40 feet sideways from your last spot.

Works best on large slopes obviously, sand river and the like. Don't do it near cliff edges or where slopes are narrow

play arty. Wait until enemy team has purple heavies.  Waste 5 minutes hovering over them looking for a good shooting opportunity, note their annoying micromovements.  Apply this to your own game :)

Or do what I did one night after getting nuked several games in a row, I drove my Easy 8 straight across the map with my 105 derp and killed them all two games in a row, sure it cost me my tank early in both games but my teams won because of it and it was soooooo worth it cause I hate artys and their butt hurt in that chat was glorious

I should also say though... "Fool me once, shame on you..."

^^^ This is key. Be unpredictable.

Also something that nobody has mentioned is the firing arc of each arty. Some have much lower arcs, while some have very high arcs. Brit arty tend to have the highest arcs. Keep that in mind when you're hiding behind cover: If that cover is a rock not much taller than your tank and there's a Brit arty on the other team, call yourself toast. Got to be very high hard cover when playing vs Brit arty. That, and move a lot. The higher arc means a longer shell travel time, but that also means the arty has a much more accurate reticule: against flat ground it's almost a circle as opposed to a large oval for most other arty.