Sign in to follow this  
Sloanarc

How to Tiger P

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

how the hell can i make the Tiger P work for me....the weird thing is, i liked the Tiger H. But i can't get this machine to work.

EDIT: Tiger I is great as a second line support that can trade health at the later stages of the battle. The Tiger P has frontal armor, but is useless because everything can and will penn your cupola. Side scraping (frontally) doesn't work that well because of the shoulder and the positioning of the turret. If you want to reverse sidescrape.....i find it's to slow to react on changing battle conditions. Should i play this thing only as a second line support/sniper or are there other options? 

As too a replay....i have never made one..... :S

Can you be more specific? It would be easier to help if you elaborated on what specific problems you are having with the Tiger P. Perhaps you could include a replay that highlights a few of these difficulties.

point front towards enemy.  Don't let them get ez shots on cupola.  wiggle n shiz/ cupolas are small.  At tier 7 you can bait a lot of shots into your front.  Tiger P stronk tonk!

If you call its frontal armor useless I will slap you.  Try think about your armor layout and what is visible/at what angle to the enemy.

Not a great fan of the Tiger 1 to be honest... gotta go back there and see if I can play it properly but Tiger P has just more frontal armor right?

Another thing about the Tiger P I found incredibly helpful is to remember that the LFP isn't that much weaker than the UFP while a lot of pubbies spam gold at it since it is a supposed weak spot. If you see enemies aiming there slightly over angle the side armor to increase LFP protection and you become very stronk. If you aren't doing this already always angle depending on what the enemy tries to shoot. As it has already been said, wiggle like mad to deny cupola shots (but try not to expose turret side armor too much when doing so. I made that mistake quite a lot).

If you are bottom tier keep a distance to the enemy. The 8,8 cm gun is quite capable of hurting a lot of tank long range while enemies like the IS-3 will struggle to penetrate you over distance.
I found that you can do pretty well on the understrength flank IF you have some support to keep the enemy from pushing you too hard.
Edit: forgot to mention how I played mine: I tried to get the enemy into long range engagements whenever possible. However I did not shy from brawling as you will be able to migitate a lot of damage via above mentioned LFP baiting.

Another thing about the Tiger P I found incredibly helpful is to remember that the LFP isn't that much weaker than the UFP while a lot of pubbies spam gold at it since it is a supposed weak spot. If you see enemies aiming there slightly over angle the side armor to increase LFP protection and you become very stronk. If you aren't doing this already always angle depending on what the enemy tries to shoot. As it has already been said, wiggle like mad to deny cupola shots (but try not to expose turret side armor too much when doing so. I made that mistake quite a lot).

If you are bottom tier keep a distance to the enemy. The 8,8 cm gun is quite capable of hurting a lot of tank long range while enemies like the IS-3 will struggle to penetrate you over distance.

I found that you can do pretty well on the understrength flank IF you have some support to keep the enemy from pushing you too hard.

Edit: forgot to mention how I played mine: I tried to get the enemy into long range engagements whenever possible. However I did not shy from brawling as you will be able to migitate a lot of damage via above mentioned LFP baiting.

I don't find this to be true. I've swiss cheese'd a Tiger P through its lower plate using my T-34-85 firing AP.

I don't find this to be true. I've swiss cheese'd a Tiger P through its lower plate using my T-34-85 firing AP.

You are corret. Mea culpa. I was under the distinct impression that the LFP was tougher

However a 110mm lower plate isn't bad at all. You can still render yourself almost frontally immune to most T5 and T6 tanks and if you get an opponent who knows your armor scheme and aims for your LFP you can troll them quite badly by over angling the side armor and presenting them with a nice angle on the LFP. It is possible to semi-reliably bounce 200-230mm pen guns by over angling the sides if your opponent guns for the LFP. The armor doesn't work against players who know what they are doing though as they will simply shoot your sides.

You can also try to bait shots by showing them your angled front armor around a corner. Once they shoot peek like an utter noob: sideways. It works.

The armor works against your own tier and if you stay mobile. If you find yourself in a tier 9 battle, good luck, because you can't angle too much before exposing your weak sides. But the weak spots are hard to hit if you keep moving, and if you can hide the shoulder against a corner you should present a pretty tough target. It really all depends on the guns you're facing. Any gun with greater than 200 mm of penetration and your armor is suddenly pretty much useless.

Be aware of the low dpm and alpha, it's best played with a dpm tank behind it or something to scare off the pub rush.

The armor is effectively poor. Even yellows know to shoot the lower and cupola, the lower is 80mm worth 140ish dead on. Angled it's about 160 which means everything goes through. You can't wiggle your way out of it either because your own aim time is abysmal, you troll your own gun more than the enemy's. This thing eats arty shells all day too, slow, large, flat thin top armor full penapalooza.

I've been trying to play as traditional heavy and it's extremely inconsistent. One battle against center massing tards I may bounce 2000, next against halfway decent enemies they wreck me every shot. I'm going to shift to staying further back where weak points can't be targeted and see if that works better.

I used to have and do relatively well in the Tiger P till i had to sell it for the VK45A..

Here are some pointers.

You have to either hide the coupola or lower glacis (preferably both but that's a rare position).

Your turret is possible to penetrate but shells tend to disapear upon hitting the mantlet.

You can't really angle it against better oponents because your hull has "cheeks" that are only 80 mm thick... and they might shot the giant coupola anyway.

Imo it fares best at longer ranges where its weakspots are hard to hit. Additionally the penetration loss makes it possible (not guaranteed tho) to bounce shells from tier 8 heavies with your hull.