Chryses

Naval Action

185 posts in this topic

So I was derping around Steam and the internet and discovered an upcoming Age of Sail game called Naval Action. It is listed on Steam Greenlight.

I always enjoy Age of Sail ships and this might be fun. Definitely can be an alternative or compliment to World of Warships for boat people.

Constitution1.jpg

Some YouTube action...

Edited by Chryses
Updated tags

I'm looking at this game as something potentially worth trying out. Garbad posted that he was also. 

I am following this. Perhaps I'll buy into the alpha if it manages to convince me.

I'm looking at this game as something potentially worth trying out. Garbad posted that he was also. 

-G- on the high seas. That would be something to behold. :)

-G- on the high seas. That would be something to behold. :)

Good gamers are usually good gamers anywhere :-D

Can't watch the video ATM, but I used to teach kids how to sail and think it would be awesome to have a game that represented the mechanics of it fairly faithfully, especially if they throw in some high seas warfare. Count me interested.

Watched the video. I want this game. Thanks for poasting this, Chryses!

He mentioned this would be an open game eventually. That's freaking awesome. Throw some economy into the mix and you've just made Sid Meier's Pirates!: the MMO.

Can't watch the video ATM, but I used to teach kids how to sail and think it would be awesome to have a game that represented the mechanics of it fairly faithfully, especially if they throw in some high seas warfare. Count me interested.

Personally I can handle a main and jib and run a spinnaker with help, but get dizzy thinking about being responsible for full sail maintenance on a tall ship. 

Watched the video. I want this game. Thanks for poasting this, Chryses!

He mentioned this would be an open game eventually. That's freaking awesome. Throw some economy into the mix and you've just made Sid Meier's Pirates!: the MMO.

Cool. I think this will be a new purchase in the next few days.

Personally I can handle a main and jib and run a spinnaker with help, but get dizzy thinking about being responsible for full sail maintenance on a tall ship. 

True. Some simplification would be necessary if you were to include combat. I think it would be slick if you just included the points of sail and had ships with unique characteristics w.r.t. how well they could take advantage of the wind at each point of sail and how high their close reach could be. Just having a mobility advantage stemming from an intuitive understanding of velocity made good would be awesome.

I'd agree that manually running all of the rigging could be neat for a sim but probably still overwhelming. Even then you'd have to automate a bunch of stuff for ships like these.

I have been trying to follow this since the first thread was posted back in January. Announcements have been really limited, but it looks to be coming along nicely albeit slowly.

True. Some simplification would be necessary if you were to include combat. I think it would be slick if you just included the points of sail and had ships with unique characteristics w.r.t. how well they could take advantage of the wind at each point of sail and how high their close reach could be. Just having a mobility advantage stemming from an intuitive understanding of velocity made good would be awesome.

I'd agree that manually running all of the rigging could be neat for a sim but probably still overwhelming. Even then you'd have to automate a bunch of stuff for ships like these.

Very much agree.  We need something much better than Empire Total War naval combat.  It would be pretty tough on noobs trying to do any tight maneuvers and then just moving themselves into a dead standstill because they haven't figured out how much way on they needed for this or that.  It could mean many frustrating battles of trying to tack too quickly and getting obliterated because of it. 

They may even get creative with style and shape of sails available, materials etc.that could be customizable for any given ship to determine how they'll perform at different points of sail.  

Need more man-o-wars

Im in. 

Reminds me of Empire:total war naval combat 

I may follow suit for pre-order- this appeals to me much more than star citizen or anything like that.  It would be fun to get a small group going from this community to leverage opinions on game development and teamwork starting at alpha and running right through launch. 

w.r.t. manually managing the sails, there's an "auto-skipper" feature that will manage your sails for you. Sounds like the idea is that doing them manually (and correctly) will net you a bit of an advantage over automating it. How big that advantage is intended to actually be is not clear at this point.

I can see myself ordering this, and then spending entirely too much time reading materials on sailcraft theory. One must be properly armed if one intends to exact revenge on the British over the Battle(s) of Copenhagen.

I may follow suit for pre-order- this appeals to me much more than star citizen or anything like that.  It would be fun to get a small group going from this community to leverage opinions on game development and teamwork starting at alpha and running right through launch. 

Yeah, that sounds pretty awesome. I'll probably pre-order too. This has all the makings of being a ridiculously awesome game.

w.r.t. manually managing the sails, there's an "auto-skipper" feature that will manage your sails for you. Sounds like the idea is that doing them manually (and correctly) will net you a bit of an advantage over automating it. How big that advantage is intended to actually be is not clear at this point.

I can see myself ordering this, and then spending entirely too much time reading materials on sailcraft theory. One must be properly armed if one intends to exact revenge on the British over the Battle(s) of Copenhagen.

Manual sails does not look that hard to pull off. And, it looks like it will give a good advantage over automatic.

Manual sails does not look that hard to pull off. And, it looks like it will give a good advantage over automatic.

Welp. That did it.

1p6KGHY.png

I'll be seeing you gents on the high seas. That manual sail control gave me an erection. You could even steer the vessel without the rudder using jibs v. mains. Fucking SOLD on this game. Can I get my alpha steam key already?!?

Well I took the plunge. Just ordered my copy. If anyone wants to get together to figure things out or gang up in PVP send me a PM. I am sure we can find a TS server to squat in and have some fun. I am going to take my time and really figure this game out. Looks good...

I think they process new orders on Friday. So... hope to get it for this weekend!