Treeburst

SU-101 Wow!

88 posts in this topic

What a steaming pile of shit!

This thing is easily the worst piece of shit I've ever had the displeasure of trying to grind through.

Lets see -

Positives -

It has good top speed.

Negatives -

Everything else.

I know WG likes to throw shit in to encourage free-XP skipping the "shit tank" of a line... but wow... this fucker stands out, all alone, far and away worse (by tier) than anything else I've ever played in this game. The M3 Lee looks like a shining beacon of carry compared to this steaming turd.

I like plenty of tanks, but they usually have to do at least one thing well and everything else not fucking horrible. So this piece of shit is right out.

I already said it is far and away the worst "tank" I've ever played, but I'd actually take several tier 7s over this thing, and the pre-nerf Hellcat was way better (just in general, not tier for tier, that wouldn't even be a fair comparison). I haven't played the Hellcat post nerf, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was still better. As in, just straight up better. Like, you would be better off in a Hellcat in a tier 10 match than this thing. Hell, you'd be better off in any match, it is just as worthless top tier as bottom tier.

To expand upon the list of weaknesses, since just saying "everything" isn't clear enough for a lot of people.

- The gun is far and away the worst thing about this tank. It might have 2 degrees of gun depression. That might be generous. However, it is also gifted with an extremely narrow traverse to boot. So basically you have a forward fixed firing cannon.

- It has 990 hitpoints. At tier 8.

- It does make up for the lack of hit points by having absolutely no armor though.

- I personally have fucking horrible RNG with the gun on the few occasions I can actually bring it to bear on a target. On paper you get 219 pen with the AP round, in practice it feels more like 175. I actually feel like you might be better off sticking with the 122 and using APCR.

It is fast with good camo, and reasonably good view range. If it was a little bit faster it would make a decent passive scout. On the two maps left where that is actually useful.

I actually enjoyed it during the time I had it, that was before the accuracy/dpm buff.  If you can manage the gun depression the tank is quite nice to drive, plus it has pretty good 330 pen HEAT.

Let's see...

330 HEAT pen.

Badass DPM.

Good accuracy.

Nice mobility.

Good camo.

Suggestion: Ninja medium TD. Don't go to usual TD spots, IMO it plays like JPz4. Agile, DPM, camo. Perfect for going medium routes, penetrating mediums and putting flanking shots on heavies.

It doesn't look that bad (still looks mediocre though) when viewed in the same light as the 416. Just slap on optics, a GLD, and a rammer, then pray for a vision-based map as you hit the battle button. Of course, they're getting rid of all the vision maps patch by patch, so you're kind of screwed in that sense.

You could also do the 122 with all APCR and try to be a faux-medium assault gun, but I'm not sure if that's possible with the rear-mounted gun and gun depression.

Played right its downright deadly, and still manages a few troll bounces frontally here and there. 

Can confirm, it's a turd. 

You can rarely carry even when top tier because the platform gives you so few advantages to leverage.

If you want a tank that trades camo for literally better everything, oh wait - every other T8 TD is arguably better. 

It's not bad, but like almost every tank everyone labels as shit, it requires the ability to adapt your play style to it. It's one of the more challenging ones, but any great player should be able to make it work in most situations.

Let's see...

330 HEAT pen.

Badass DPM. All about that alpha

Good accuracy. Meta says hi

Nice mobility.

Good camo. Meta says hi

Suggestion: Ninja medium TD. Don't go to usual TD spots, IMO it plays like JPz4. Agile, DPM, camo. Perfect for going medium routes, penetrating mediums and putting flanking shots on heavies.

Too many things going against it to play as a medium. No gun depression, no turret, small gun traverse, no HP, huge chance of getting torched multiple times if hit,...

I can't imagine how bad it must be since they changed the maps.

The SU-101 died a long time ago.

It's a T-54 gun on rails with good speed and camo.

Yet you could also play the JP2, Charioteer, Borsig and even the JT88. All will be easier to do better in. Why struggle to play a tank? That's no logic for it not being crap, if you need to play that much better in the SU-101 than you do in a JP2, it's because the 101 sucks donkey balls.

On a plus it is fun, with the speed and camo and the dpm. Just rip the current map selection.

The DPM is pretty cray. Like, really good. You know how the JT88 has great DPM, and then the AT-15 has even better DPM? Yeah, well, the SU-101 has even better DPM than that, and considerably so. It's basically the T-54 gun with T-62A/140 RoF. The superstructure armour is actually kinda good too, you can bounce stuff like IS-6s regularly (if they even manage to hit, this thing is damn small). It's just a fun tank imho. Not a great one - still the worst on the line, the 122-54 and 100M1 are both better - but fun. I love zippy tanks with decent armour and great guns.

Yeah, I get it, the meta doesn't like this kind of tank. I dont care. Its fun. You drive around at 50kph and throw sizzlerounds at people.

This should be in the venting room. Mod or admin can you please move?

Thank goodness Wotlabs has schoolmarms like yourself to keep the innocent eyes of children safe from negative tank reviews. 

Bless you, ma'am, bless you.

Thank goodness Wotlabs has schoolmarms like yourself to keep the innocent eyes of children safe from negative tank reviews. 

Bless you, ma'am, bless you.

I'd suggest you tone down the bitchiness.

The DPM is pretty cray. Like, really good. You know how the JT88 has great DPM, and then the AT-15 has even better DPM? Yeah, well, the SU-101 has even better DPM than that, and considerably so. It's basically the T-54 gun with T-62A/140 RoF. The superstructure armour is actually kinda good too, you can bounce stuff like IS-6s regularly (if they even manage to hit, this thing is damn small). It's just a fun tank imho. Not a great one - still the worst on the line, the 122-54 and 100M1 are both better - but fun. I love zippy tanks with decent armour and great guns.

Yeah, I get it, the meta doesn't like this kind of tank. I dont care. Its fun. You drive around at 50kph and throw sizzlerounds at people.

The paper DPM might be good, but it is damn near impossible to utilize due to the gun mount and lack of armor/hp. I guess this thing might have been functional a couple years ago, but not today.

I'd suggest you tone down the bitchiness.

I'm sorry I forgot my place again sir, I'll go back to reading the posts by the kool kids klub.

My mistake.

I'm sorry I forgot my place again sir, I'll go back to reading the posts by the kool kids klub.

My mistake.

I understand that you pathologically hate all tanks and most people, but that's really none of my concern.

My concern is that you not conduct yourself like a child on these forums, thank you.

I've been planing to get the 263 as a replacement for the now useless 268 for a while now.... yet those 2 "toilet" tanks.... Same with the US TD line. I researched the T28 proto quiet a while ago, yet I do not want to buy, let alone play, that thing.... But at the same time I also do not want to give WG the money needed to free XP those tanks simply because they made them so crappy.... That would be rewarding them for the altogether wrong reason.

While I'm not a member of the approved posters klub, I am pretty sure that at least a few of the more influential among them feel that the T28 Proto is actually quite good, which I agree with.

The standard T28 is a steaming pile, it is better than the SU-101, but only when it is top tier. At bottom tier it is just as useless.

The T95 isn't terrible. It isn't fun to play, but it isn't useless.

The Proto was a bit better in the previous meta but it's by no means bad, very solid armour and a fantastic gun. There are better tanks to drive, sure. I'd take it over the SU-101 personally.

I am currently grinding this thing. It's not good, but at least it's not the bloody T28.

You just have to find situations where you can utilise your dpm. And it'll always be shittier than the Jagdpanther 2 in this role.

How can a tank so slow be any good in the current meta? Giving the teams atm half the teams are likely already dead by the time this tank makes first contact with the enemy. Or in case it's the enemy team that crumbles, good luck actually getting somewhere fast enough to maybe get at least a few shoots off before the game is over.