Treeburst

SU-101 Wow!

88 posts in this topic

On first public test SU-101 had 122mm gun from IS-4. Pretty nice X tier gun with decent RoF balanced by lack of gun depression and engine in front? No way, WG must nerf it to the ground and leave it with IX tier gun from medium tank. Recently added Charioteer got gun from X tier medium and it works.

BTW Ob 263 isn't as ideal as some of you think. It's rather "meh" tank.

The 263 has an epic gun, but huge frontal weakspots. It's easymode to pen. The huge gun shield, lfp or just HE blap.

It's very fun though, 130mm with good rof, aim time and accuracy on a stupidly mobile platform really brings pain to the ignorant.

How can a tank so slow be any good in the current meta? Giving the teams atm half the teams are likely already dead by the time this tank makes first contact with the enemy. Or in case it's the enemy team that crumbles, good luck actually getting somewhere fast enough to maybe get at least a few shoots off before the game is over.

Slow tanks are better than ever. You think it takes forever getting to the front line now? Imagine half the city maps removed from the game. Have fun flexing around a 1kx1k vision map at 18kph.

Slow tanks are better than ever. You think it takes forever getting to the front line now? Imagine half the city maps removed from the game. Have fun flexing around a 1kx1k vision map at 18kph.

Not sure about that. On most open maps there are camper spots from which you can control huge chunks of the map. On maps like Stalingrad on the other hand all fighting is done at close quarters and you have to keep up with the flow of the battle to see some action. I have the T34 and the mobility often becomes an issues when battles proceed to fast.

I've ever played, but I'd actually take several tier 7s over this thing, and the pre-nerf Hellcat was way better (just in general, not tier for tier, that wouldn't even be a fair comparison).

The Hellcat was actually better than a lot of tier 7s and a few tier 8s if you played it to max WN7/8, so I'd argue it's infinitely better than the SU-101

I haven't dared touch it after the nerf, but I expect eventually my WN8 in it will go up as people start abandoning it and new players do bad in it

SU-101 is total shit, it did receive a buff compared to when i played it, but i could play with 350mm HEAT (and no spaced armor stuff) and it was beyond awefull, easy the worst tier 8 tank (the proto is shit, and i really hate proto, but this SU-101 g*****d)

For a more detailed rage-topic:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/203127-the-worst-t8-tank-su-101/

and dpm os SU-101 is not ``amazing`` its at best slightly above average...

JP-2______5.13*490_____2513
ISU_______3.47*750_____2602
Ferdi_____ 5.0*490______2450
T28______ 6.59*400_____2636
SU-101___8.45*320_____ 2704

And with first strike (so the number which reallay matters)

Jp2_____ 3003,7

ISU ____  3352,5

Ferdi ___ 2940

T28 ____ 3036

SU-101__ 3024

But you have worse penetration so more bounces, ridiculous terrible gun handling (no gun depression or arc) so all the time repositioning AND on top of that you rely completly on sheer rof, so if you cant shoot non-stop any other TD totally out-dpms SU-101, infact, in practive SU-101 has the worst dpm of any tier 8 TD, bare ferdinand and mle i guess, while also having the lowest penetration, the worst gold shells and by far the worst alpha dmg, its shit at ANYTHING where a TD should be good at....

SU-101 = shit, its the epitome of a total turd tank it has zero redeeming factors, its good at nothing and bad at a lot of things and it should be downtiered (same for SU-122-54)

130mm gun is worse than JT's gun. Better AP shells penetration and HE alpha versus everything else? Cruel joke.

Highest DPM of tier 10 in the game says hi.

Also, significantly less shitty platform than Jagdtiger.

and dpm os SU-101 is not ``amazing`` its at best slightly above average...

JP-2______5.13*490_____2513

ISU_______3.47*750_____2602

Ferdi_____ 5.0*490______2450

T28______ 6.59*400_____2636

SU-101___8.45*320_____ 2704

And with first strike (so the number which reallay matters)

Jp2_____ 3003,7

ISU ____  3352,5

Ferdi ___ 2940

T28 ____ 3036

SU-101__ 3024

For comparison's sake, post-buff SU-101 has 2866 DPM and 3186 DPM+Alpha, which is a bit more reasonable.

Its good at being small, and its good at being fast.

For comparison's sake, post-buff SU-101 has 2866 DPM and 3186 DPM+Alpha, which is a bit more reasonable.

Its good at being small, and its good at being fast.

Ah, so WG atleast buffed the dpm, did it also get an aim time buff like SU-122-54? (or even better, gun traverse buff)

Ah, so WG atleast buffed the dpm, did it also get an aim time buff like SU-122-54? (or even better, gun traverse buff)

Nope, don't think so. Since release it's got a little more accuracy and gun depression. It should have gotten an aimtime buff in 9.1, but it never made it past the test server. A lot of the 9.1 balance changes (T29 and Tiger nerf, and the VK3001P buff for example) just disappeared.

Highest DPM of tier 10 in the game says hi.

Also, significantly less shitty platform than Jagdtiger.

Slightly better DPM, RoF and AP penetration but worse alpha, gun arc, APCR penetration and shells velocity. 

Well, the 183, 4005, E4, and Foch all have terrible 150mm+ guns. I'd rather have a 263 gun (on a respectable platform) than any of those 150s. The E3 (maybe 268, iono, 268 sucks so bad that its hard to compare its gun without being biased) and JPE? Sure, I'd love to have those guns on my 263. That doesn't mean that having just any 150+ is better than the S-70A.

So I finished the grind, think this one sold me for not going up the tree any farther. 48.7% WR, ~1700 damage per game.

Second worst tier 8 I've ever played, far and away the worst win rate I've ever had in tier 8. So I guess it might actually be the worst tier 8 I've ever played, although I enjoyed playing it slightly more than the standard T28. By slightly more I mean I enjoyed getting kicked in the balls several times more than I enjoyed playing the T28. So on a scale of 1-10, I would rate the T28 a 0, and the SU-101 around a 0.0003.

Strengths - None.

Weaknesses - No armor, the gun sucks, and the gun is basically a forward fixed firing 100mm.

I found this thing's armor/speed/laser gun handling combo more tolerable than the JP2.

Then again I never felt the need for HEAT in T-54 or 430-2, so... :/

EDIT: I did not find gun depression to be a problem because 1) playing with this you expect it whereas JP2 somehow ends up feeling 1 degree short at vital times too often and 2) This can go over a ridge and back up fast enough to not get shot, JP2 mobility cannot. Also, the hull armour is far stronger (and the target size is SMALLER) than JP2 and the hull much shorter, so trying to shoot over a ledge doesn't end up showing enough of a soft hull for enemy Tier 7 meds to easily pen.

At the time I played this it was my shortest Tier 8 grind (113 matches) and best Tier 8 in win rate (59.3%). However, I suppose map meta has changed too much since then...

This piece of shit isn't even worthy of licking a JP2's jockstrap. It is like if you took a Jp2 but took away the armor and the alpha and the good gun mount. So yea, it is like if you take a JP2 but take away everything that makes a JP2 actually good.

I'm 41 matches in to this grind and I have to say... I really enjoy this tank. So far my only qualm is 175 pen because I haven't unlocked the top gun yet. But it is such a non issue I actually went ahead and unlocked the tracks first.

The gun depression isn't an issue for me (I suspect that's because I played and enjoyed the China meds and it seems like all the map remakes are adding little divots everywhere). The mobility is very nice, the camo is fantastic, armor can be trol as long as you are hull down, wiggling will give you some good chuckles when people bounce/ricochet. I play it as a medium unless bottom tier, then I will do a more conservative approach.

I can't speak to the comparisons made between this and most of the other Tds of its tier as I haven't played them. Just wanted to chime in that thus far with the 122 and not spamming apcr it is a fun to play tank.