Treeburst

SU-101 Wow!

88 posts in this topic

it's junk(this coming from someone that had 2 MoE on it, so ik what im saying)

a bit better dpm than other t8 TDs... but that 219mm pen is atrocious. it does have amazing HEAT pen tho

the camo's great, but bad gun dep kills it. camo is a defensive trait, but the crappy gun dep(one of the worst in game) means you have to reveal yourself more and maybe take more shots

the hp's the lowest of the t8 TDs

the armor's pretty useless, but it is amazing for bullying tier 6s and some tier 7s

great mobility(better than jp2)

overall 3/10

Msy0dWn.jpg

Was worried about this grind with a lot of you complaining in this thread but I should have known to have trusted Rexxie, best poaster NA.  This thing is so good holy shit.

Finished the grind after some 100 battles and around 1950 dpg but a crappy winrate (58%). I still don't think this tank is good even though it certainly has a nasty gun. I suppose the skill ceiling is simply very high, similar to the Object 416, and it does not forgive any mistakes, i.e. requires very consistent play.

After changing my playstyle (stopped trying to play it like a JP2, played it as a dpm support), dpg and winrate increased and I actually started to enjoy the tank. For me, the limiting factors were the gun depression and the hp pool because any mistake with regard to your micro-positioning or any exposure to incoming fire and your hp pool melts away. On the other hand, when played right it can kill targets very very quickly. Moreover, I found it fun to play in a platoon with other mediums.

So how viable is heat spam in this thing? Also how expensive? 

You don't need much HEAT because 219 AP pen is plenty for anything including t8. However, the HEAT round is pretty epic and very useful against higher tiers. I found that I broke about even with very liberal HEAT spam, often switching back and forth depending on the target. If you take things serious, I'd advocate at least 50:50 ap and heat but I went with something around 3/5:2/5. I think in some situations, AP works better than HEAT.

kind of playstyle should I learn on this tank (apart from camosniping)? 

Chinese med. If you can play small, depressionless meds well, your flexibility in the SU-101 will be much better.

Mostly. 416 doesn't ever use its armor though; no matter how much you angle it or where you go hulldown, you'll rarely ever bounce. That's the biggest difference between the SU-101/Chinameds and Obj 416; they actually have armor they can abuse. In the SU-101's case, this is a 170mm UFP/160mm LFP, 300mm mantlet, and 200mm superstructure. It's not much, but if you don't use it you're going to lose too much of your very little HP fighting T6s and T7s.

When you're not looking to bounce rounds, they are super similar, yes.

Finally unlocked it and:

Jesus why this thing has so little ammo? I thought it was only the case with the 122mm but it's also the problem with t-54 gun. A low pen, high dpm gun should mean the td has a ton of ammo. This? Jesus I run out way too often.

It's also strange but I really liked the 122mm. As long as you are not in t10 it's a great gun since the tank is fast and the dpm is insane. I think it's not as bad as people make it to be. It just doesn't feel good since it's almost impossible to have a monster game in it and it's very hard to cary late game with no depression, no hp and no alpha but I try to do as much support early on and then if any lower triers are left I go and bully them. The armor is enough to work against them.

Ok got some hang of it. It's surprisingly decent. The gun dep is annoying but it derps me less than the amx 50 120 elevation. It's fast enough to relocate so i try to get a few shots in and change position. That plus the gold pen and the tank is workable. I'm at 52% now so it's not great but given that I suck at td's and I try to play everything as either a russian heavy or a russian med it's a decent result. Hope to bring it closer to my overal derpy 54% when I finally get sixth sense. 

So I bought this tank now... Not sure on what gun to use. Leaning towards the 100mm cause better gun handling/DPM where as the 122mm gun is like idk, but I kind of want that alpha...

61821460.jpg  

100mm for me all the way. Before you aim with 122 you make 2 shots with 100. And ppl generally don't realize they will get shot every 5 seconds :D

Everyone says it's bad..

Well, I actually enjoyed it very much!

I loved the insane RoF with the 100mm and the mobility, I loved the troll armour (mantlet) and the camo values..

Now they put a f*****g IS4 gun on it!

It reflects the 263 playstyle (IMO the BEST tier 10 TD in every way you look at it), just 2 tiers lower..

No depression? You can engineer it especially with the new physics..

Shot incoming? Angle (really, you bounce for days or absorb with your mantlet unless it's a high pen shell/heat)

What else? Oh right, medium tries to circle you, #instablap in the face and no way for him to get out of your gun arc without detracking you..

IMO one of the best tier 8 tanks, period.

Not an easy playstyle though, it requires a great knowledge of the tank's strengths and weaknesses and how to put them to good work in every situation, and that's the same with the 122 54 and the 263...

So it was rebalanced quite a bit for 9.22.

Thoughts on those who have played it after 9.22? Which gun did you use?

How badly does this new 9.22 version need Free XP for modules?

On 15/02/2018 at 1:09 PM, ogremage said:

So it was rebalanced quite a bit for 9.22.

Thoughts on those who have played it after 9.22? Which gun did you use?

How badly does this new 9.22 version need Free XP for modules?

1 hour ago, hazzgar said:

I want to rebuy this. How painful is it?

Apparently, it's really bad now

Playing this without the top gun makes me regret life. 210/240 pen, 2100 dpm, turns like a boat, meh armor, 0.44 acc. 

I got yolo'd by one on soft ground. He misjudged the traverse and missed getting his gun on me by about 3 tank widths. It was kinda like seeing a walrus trying to pirouette. 

11 minutes ago, Ezz said:

I got yolo'd by one on soft ground. He misjudged the traverse and missed getting his gun on me by about 3 tank widths. It was kinda like seeing a walrus trying to pirouette. 

Yeah the traverse must be one of the worst in the game. It seems to turn slower than a t95. 

I also switched the 430 gun for the t54 gun. Now it's much better and at least doing 1600+ dmg doesn't seem like such a huge struggle. The acc is still horrible. 9/10 heat shots at a type4 front from 400m bounced.

Using the 122on this thing just makes me think “man, what if the wz120-g ft was actually really bad?”.

i switched to the 100mm just so it would be interesting

17 hours ago, Tupinambis said:

Using the 122on this thing just makes me think “man, what if the wz120-g ft was actually really bad?”.

i switched to the 100mm just so it would be interesting

If the 100mm had better DPM it would make sense. Now you have a "What if obj416" sacrificed a turret and mobility for some unreliable armor