Treeburst

SU-101 Wow!

88 posts in this topic

Finished the grind on this bad boy. I was expecting to pull my hair out, I was pleasantly surprised. I free xp the 122 and I got to say the gun behaved really well even though it has that trash accuracy.

It can be awkward to play because “lol T95 track traverse..” and did get me into trouble because of it and I have to admit I did get a handful of 0 damage game just because of that characteristic. I ended up with 2.4k dpg, 60% in 71 games and ranked 24th on the vehicle ranking for this month. Armor is unreliable at best vs T8, non-existent vs T9 with the occasional bounce I guess. But you have 268.4 level of armor Vs T7 :D, kind of like the T54 mod.1 which have very homogenous armor all around.

I have found the gun to hit really hard for the mobility you get, you basically have the T-10 gun at tier 8 on a 50kph+ platform (that turn like a boat :( ), btw.

One weakness obviously is the -3° (or is it -4° ? ) of depression which means don’t even try to fight on hill or bumpy terrain.

Camo is not bad so it’s easy to use it.

Imo it’s a decent tank, if there is anything I would do is remove this stupid track traverse that the branch seemed to get. 268.4 has it and I agree it should have it but this tank doesn’t have the stupid impenetrable armor so track traverse should be much better imo.

On 27.02.2018 at 10:40 AM, DHP said:

Finished the grind on this bad boy. I was expecting to pull my hair out, I was pleasantly surprised. I free xp the 122 and I got to say the gun behaved really well even though it has that trash accuracy.

It can be awkward to play because “lol T95 track traverse..” and did get me into trouble because of it and I have to admit I did get a handful of 0 damage game just because of that characteristic. I ended up with 2.4k dpg, 60% in 71 games and ranked 24th on the vehicle ranking for this month. Armor is unreliable at best vs T8, non-existent vs T9 with the occasional bounce I guess. But you have 268.4 level of armor Vs T7 :D, kind of like the T54 mod.1 which have very homogenous armor all around.

I have found the gun to hit really hard for the mobility you get, you basically have the T-10 gun at tier 8 on a 50kph+ platform (that turn like a boat :( ), btw.

One weakness obviously is the -3° (or is it -4° ? ) of depression which means don’t even try to fight on hill or bumpy terrain.

Camo is not bad so it’s easy to use it.

Imo it’s a decent tank, if there is anything I would do is remove this stupid track traverse that the branch seemed to get. 268.4 has it and I agree it should have it but this tank doesn’t have the stupid impenetrable armor so track traverse should be much better imo.

My WR and DPG are climbing after talking to you. I'm playing on some mongo account so trash crew and t54 gun so the initial stats before I started were 35% wr at 30 battles (ffs) and now I'm at 52% and 1700dpg and it's rising at  I think 70 battles or sth but I'm nowhere your results. I'm probably right behind top100. Would probably crack top100 with a better crew. Do you use food and what is your ammo loadout? 

I am grinding my way through this tank at the moment. Why? Meta TD at T10. '
I never played this tank before the rebalance, so all I know is this armored version we have now. About the armor. Well it is good when you are toptier. Problem, as T8 you aren't toptier very often. You will play most of the time against T9s and T10s. And there the armor becomes less effective to non existent. The whole tank line has been rebalanced to be a brawler TD line. For this job you need reliable armor. Good luck with that in a T10 matchup. 
The grind itself can be considered horrible. First thing what bugged me is, that you can not use your topgun from T7, you have to start with the T7 stock gun (yes T7 and T8 use the same stock gun). 175mm pen at T8 as TD. What this means, you will have to use some free XP to get to the second gun and to use this gun you need the tracks as well. Nice XP sink there. This gun has at least a tiny bit more standard pen as the T7 top gun. But you get access to 330mm HEAT pen which makes up for a lot.  The next gun you have to unlock is a useless 122mm noone should ever use.  It is only there to extend your suffering. 46k for this piece of trash is a joke. And only after you get through this joke you can start to grind another 64k for the top gun. At least you can use the engine from the T-54. 
From the grind perspective this is one of the worst tanks in the game. You need a lot free Xp to make it at least playable and a lot more XP to get it elite. 
Another 20k and I can finally get my hands on the top gun. Maybe then the tank gets more enjoyable. 

Yep, this tank is now amongst the worst tanks in the game, alongside stuff like Churchill VII and pre-buff AMX AC 48. The tier 7 works because it can actually brawl against same tier and even tier 8 tanks, but for some reason the tier 8 has weaker armor on a bigger superstructure with lower to the ground engine deck so it struggles at brawling even against its own tier and I've even had plenty of tier 6 tanks just overmatch the engine deck. Having one of the longest stock grinds in the game is the cherry on top I guess.

48 minutes ago, hall0 said:

Yeah I finally have the big gun. Now I can miss my shots and can wait 10s instead of 8. What an improvement. 

I still don't like this tank :(

im saving myself the trouble and waiting for front-line to be available before i touch it, at least then i can bush wank on a wide open map with tons of flanking opportunities, and ill only be facing tier 8 so i wont need gold.

and the cherry on top is that ill make like 10-15k xp a game to help with that near 300k EXP grind to the 263 

This is also my plan. But I wanted to start with the top gun. But this gun trolls me so hard. Yesterday I bounced on two times on the T8 prem Italian and did a 0 dmg hit on an UDES all in one match. I was cursing my luck. 
Next game I tried to pen the cheeks of the T28 Proto. Missed all but one shot. He bounced one AP switched to APCR and penned my super structure every time. Fun times. 

btw. Does anyone know if personal boosters work with Frontline? 

38 minutes ago, hall0 said:

This is also my plan. But I wanted to start with the top gun. But this gun trolls me so hard. Yesterday I bounced on two times on the T8 prem Italian and did a 0 dmg hit on an UDES all in one match. I was cursing my luck. 
Next game I tried to pen the cheeks of the T28 Proto. Missed all but one shot. He bounced one AP switched to APCR and penned my super structure every time. Fun times. 

btw. Does anyone know if personal boosters work with Frontline? 

boosters dont work in frontline

but if ur not trash you can essentially earn a booster for that match in the game mode.

there is an in-game ranking system that levels up based on in-game performance, the more you rank up the more of an XP bonus you get

Rank system

1. Players will receive ranks for effective performance in battle.
  2. The higher the rank owned at the end of the battle, the higher the final bonus to experience.
  3. There are 6 ranks in total:
  • Private: all player start battle in this rank.
  • Sergeant: +10% to experience.
  • Lieutenant: +25% to experience.
  • Captain: +50% to experience.
  • Major: +100% to experience.
  • General: +200% to experience.

This tank is basically WG asking themselves a question - What if we take JPII and make it worse in every way but the ability to bounce t7s and pref mm t8 heavies. I don't get it. 500 less dpm with 50less alpha, slower shells, 0,06 worse acc (ok much better move bloom but much worse gun bloom), 3.5 less gun depression, 10m less vr. 

My opinion on the post-change 101 is mostly negative

You get armour and better gun angle. I guess that's the only feature, WG made it so the line make sense.

Losing everything else. I remember that thing was so quick with hover chassis and DPM better than a T-54.

It didn't need armour with its camo and superstructure provide some protection.

It used to be bad by its gun angle and 2.3 dep but at least it had medium-class mobility. Now it just dies wherever places fall.

13 hours ago, Unavailebow said:

My opinion on the post-change 101 is mostly negative

You get armour and better gun angle. I guess that's the only feature, WG made it so the line make sense.

Losing everything else. I remember that thing was so quick with hover chassis and DPM better than a T-54.

It didn't need armour with its camo and superstructure provide some protection.

It used to be bad by its gun angle and 2.3 dep but at least it had medium-class mobility. Now it just dies wherever places fall.

They did the same to the SU-100M1 but that one is very good now, gun is meh and its sluggish, but the armor actually makes up for it. The whole problem on the 101 is that the armor they gave it isn't useful, 80% of the time you have to play the same sniping playstyle of the pre-buff 101 but now with a gun that misses the broad side of a barn every 13s.