Scout_in_da_house

Purple poaster info

51 posts in this topic

Since Aga suggested to start another thread for discussion of said subject, I suggest we do it right away.

Nominations typically happen for consistent quality posting or major external contributions, though. Unless someone is really exceptional, stats are just the entry barrier to get in.

Activity isn't a req.

A purple poaster (=/= casual purple for the forum noobs)

1. We have moderation powers in the Ask a Purple Poster section.

But that section has been getting less and less posting activity by both people asking and answering questions.

2. We have limited moderation powers in a few other sections.
Our moderation powers have been getting reduced regularly about every 2-3 months.

3. We have access to secret subforums.
Except nothing ever happens in them. If we're lucky, a new thread is created every month, that gets about 10 replies

The forum has never been the most efficient way for players to ask and answer questions - most of this is done while playing or in Clan TS. There is also the fact that most questions in APP are hidden/binned for being inappropriate - players instinctively want to bypass the normal community and go straight to the top while our discouragement of this can be misread as ignoring them. 

It is not an easy problem to fix.

Feel free to discuss. The Purple Poaster sections and group itself are in the process of undergoing changes, including the test split of Ask A Purple Poaster into Casual Purple and AAPP, to help figure out how to get the greatest benefit for the community out of our Purple Poasters. Once we figure out the best way to organize the Purple Poaster sections we will work on improving the group itself. Once that is all done I plan to make all of the details about the group public to the forum, because many people aren't aware of how the group works or even what it's intended for.

Ask questions in the meantime and we'll answer them as best we can. A few facts:

• Purple Poasters are nominated by their peers in our internal "Purple Poaster Discussion" section based on posting quality (primarily high quality content and helpfulness to members), outside contributions (streams, guides, etc.) and player skill.

• Purple Poasters have limited moderator ability in the Purple Poaster sections to approve or hide submitted content, move threads and edit content. This is because the AAPP section has queued posting for all other members and they can do a better job of managing it than moderators can with their knowledge and the logistics of manpower. This has always been the case and has never changed... not sure what the quoted person in the OP meant by reduced privileges.

• The AAPP section is meant for highest level gameplay discussion amongst purples, which is what separates it from sections like Core Mechanics and is why posting is restricted in the section. Submitted threads that don't line up with that are either moved to a more appropriate section for regular members to respond to, or hidden.

• The group is meant to moderate the section as noted above as well as recognize those contributors that are above and beyond in quality, as a sort of trustworthiness badge. With the changes being made to the PP sections and their waning activity, the intent and direction of the group is being reconsidered to fit better within the community.

I think people expect the experts (PPs) to help them with something a regular purple or even a blue in the community can help then with just as easily. 

The forum has never been the most efficient way for players to ask and answer questions - most of this is done while playing or in Clan TS. There is also the fact that most questions in APP are hidden/binned for being inappropriate - players instinctively want to bypass the normal community and go straight to the top while our discouragement of this can be misread as ignoring them. 

I'm wondering if an entirely different approach isn't necessary.

Perhaps questions should be in a free-for-all section. Anyone can ask, anyone can answer, no approval necessary. Upvotes/downvotes could reflect community confidence in the answers. PPs could perhaps hide answers that were completely wrong. PP responses could perhaps be highlighted in some way, though I'm not well versed enough in forum management to know how to do this. Maybe a purple highlight on the side of their posts, similar to the red highlight WG staff gets on the official forums?

I think people expect the experts (PPs) to help them with something a regular purple or even a blue in the community can help then with just as easily. 

I've always considered PPs to have a better though out opinion than 'regulars' and simply better players than certain purples/recent uni's (at least those I platooned with). The tag is like some sort of certificate which often guarantees success or an indisputable opinion, whereas I would disagree with a lot of things non-pp's post.

The fact that there aren't that much PPs and they seem to be selected carefully strengthens my thoughts even more.

"Initial deployment on _____ map?" -Not APP

"Overall tactical goals on _______ map from x spawn in y tank, with emphasis on initial deployment, and the reasoning, tactical progression, and desired end state?" -APP

Perhaps questions should be in a free-for-all section. Anyone can ask, anyone can answer, no approval necessary. Upvotes/downvotes could reflect community confidence in the answers. PPs could perhaps hide answers that were completely wrong. PP responses could perhaps be highlighted in some way, though I'm not well versed enough in forum management to know how to do this. Maybe a purple highlight on the side of their posts, similar to the red highlight WG staff gets on the official forums?

PP's post in purple text, reserved for them, like mods/admins post in red?

not sure what the quoted person in the OP meant by reduced privileges.

He gave the example of not being able to delete posts anymore. I don't think he really cares that much about it.

I don't quite see the point of having that privilege anyway, since mods seem to be viewing every topic made here.

Anyone can ask, anyone can answer, no approval necessary. Upvotes/downvotes could reflect community confidence in the answers. PPs could perhaps hide answers that were completely wrong. PP responses could perhaps be highlighted in some way, though I'm not well versed enough in forum management to know how to do this. Maybe a purple highlight on the side of their posts, similar to the red highlight WG staff gets on the official forums?

If anyone could answer, I think the point of being an AAPP would be somewhat lost. Votes seem like an interesting way to be able to skim through answers. Maybe only AAPPs should be able to vote on a 'solution' or viable answer for a certain question?

"Overall tactical goals on _______ map from x spawn in y tank, with emphasis on initial deployment, and the reasoning, tactical progression, and desired end state?" -APP

So filling and stretching out a sentence with buzzwords that reaches the exact same conclusion but helps lead the pp to a 'deeper' answer, now warrants an answer from a pp?

Alright, next time I'm going to ask a question I'll remember to make it as overly complicated and long as posible, but still achieve the same thing just to make the PP feel more validated.

While yes the second question has a bit more relevant info it's fairly cherry pick-y. A VERY common APP question is almost exactly "Where and what to do on X map in Y tank"? And it's worded almost exactly like that. As long as you provide the basic information (And not leaving it up in the air) over-writing your question just to make it seem more intelligible is almost taking a step backward.

Exactly, there are multiple things app would be able to tell you that are almost exactly the same as a regular community member. Three are however more detailed mechanics or techniques PPs can explain like on one else.

He gave the example of not being able to delete posts anymore. I don't think he really cares that much about it.

I don't quite see the point of having that privilege anyway, since mods seem to be viewing every topic made here.

If anyone could answer, I think the point of being an AAPP would be somewhat lost. Votes seem like an interesting way to be able to skim through answers. Maybe only AAPPs should be able to vote on a 'solution' or viable answer for a certain question?

Purple Poasters can hide threads or move them to the trash bins, which is all anyone ever does. Mods have the ability to delete content but we don't, best to just hide. 

The questions AAPP is intended to handle are really like or where you only want the purple advice. Greens and blues aren't capable of giving the best answers to these sorts of questions. Questions like "What to do on X map in Y tank" are better suited for community discussion and should be in another section, but if a Purple Poaster approves such a question to answer it then it's not a problem. It's their section.

....not the same question at all. The first one is as simple as "generally I go here to start and see how it develops". The second would end up being a page long just for an overview that covers everything.

To be entirely honest I think that the AAPP area has lived past its prime. As it has already been pointed out there are precious few questions that really require the answer to be only from purples and not from Blus and Greens.

I think this is a great idea. Could it be possible to merge this with the Can I has tank related question thread? As the latter is rather hidden most new posters use the AAPP one since it is easier to find and as I noted above there are precious few questions that really need a purple. Perhaps make it a subforum of the Q&A subforum with a title like high-end questions or something similiar to convey its purpose better? That way most questions wouldn't end up in there like they do now in AAPP.

If I wanted to ask a question and I only wanted replies from purple posters, I'll go post it in APP. If I wanted a high volume of varying answers I'll go post it somewhere else.

I feel that the AAPP section is completely unnecessary. With a smaller forum like wotlabs, I feel that over segmenting the discussion leads to the forum feeling even more stagnant. There is no reason most of the threads that end up in the AAPP question couldn't be posited in the main discussion forum areas, which are already spread a little bit thin.

Having an area where the dark purples can have their own threads and such is fine, but I see no reason to divert similar content between so many places. The purples can and do participate in the general forums where their names are tagged, and as such are identified as qualified gudpoasters whose opinions are worthy of more weight.

I feel that the AAPP section is completely unnecessary. With a smaller forum like wotlabs, I feel that over segmenting the discussion leads to the forum feeling even more stagnant. There is no reason most of the threads that end up in the AAPP question couldn't be posited in the main discussion forum areas, which are already spread a little bit thin.

Having an area where the dark purples can have their own threads and such is fine, but I see no reason to divert similar content between so many places. The purples can and do participate in the general forums where their names are tagged, and as such are identified as qualified gudpoasters whose opinions are worthy of more weight.

I disagree with that. In the threads I linked to earlier you don't want lower skilled players cluttering them with poor responses. Having them in AAPP keeps the discussion between purples without others steering the conversation away and prevents readers that are new from learning wrong things. Even in the Quick Questions/Quick Answers thread I see higher level questions receive bad answers from lower skill players that get a "thanks" from the asker. I want to strangle someone every time I see the Camo Net advocated in that thread. Now much less do I want to see that happen in threads like Crab's, and outside of AAPP they always do.

You make a strong point - but then the problem is boiled down to this:

You have a forum section for advanced questions/answers, but it is not very active. The content in it is good, but there's not a whole lot of it.

There is a lack of new content in said forum section, which needs to be generated by more discussion - whether by purples or not.

Then how do you make more purple content?

You can:

a) Make participation easier by allowing everyone in, so more people will participate, thus potentially lowering the quality of discussion

b) Include more purples in the purple poster group, giving more opportunities for content

c) If that is saturated, re-initiate "trusted gudpoaster" and let them post in said section - which will dilute less than opening it to everyone, but will increase necessary scruitny a bit too

d) Allowing the content to be more freeform (aka letting everyone post) but allowing the purples the ability to hide anything they want - which will increase necessary scrutiny and moderation load.

e) Try and get more EU/RU players involved in this forum, which will increase the user base and provide more content

Is there a problem with the AAPP area being very slow?  It's not like people don't post there, it just seems underutilized. And you can encourage utilization but not guarantee it. People are going to behave on their own, are they not?

My post was made along the lines of a certain assumption - possibly a bad one.  So instead, what is the goal?

It's easy to mitigate.

Let us know which ones you want to answer and which ones I can move and open up for the whole community. I've been doing this for clear-cut cases so far (I've indicated each time they were moved), but there are others where I do not want to make the decision for you.

My post was made along the lines of a certain assumption - possibly a bad one.  So instead, what is the goal?

Hello everyone, this is MaxL_1023. I am one of the moderators of this section, and therefore have been partially responsible for determining the content of this subforum. Recently, I have noticed a lot of questions being asked in this section pertaining to general tanking, tank selection, or "what should I do next." I understand that you want advice, however the purpose of this forum isn't to answer such questions. There are not that many "purple poasters" and starting a thread invites responses from both ourselves and the community which we have to moderate and prune to maintain a high level of post quality. 

The "Ask a Purple Poaster" subforum is intended for specific questions addressing issues which can only be answered by players at the very top level. "What should I do here" would apply when "here" is "on ruinberg in an E-100, with X tanks alive facing Y. I am at C8 and 1200 HP, and have 3 people overwatching..." you get the idea. Questions like "how do I play an IS-7" shouldn't be asked here. Instead, there are already subforums set up to gain community feedback for questions such as these. 

They are:

Core Skills and Mechanics Discussion - for questions regarding game mechanics, basic skills, the spotting system, penetration, etc.

Metagame Discussion - for questions regarding the general nature of the game

"I can has tanks related question" - this is where most of your questions should be asked first. General questions about how to play a specific tank class, tier progression, etc should go here.

Vehicle Discussion - there is a full forum dedicated to discussing specific vehicles, their characteristics and how they are normally used. "How to play an IS-7" would go here.

There is a lot of valuable knowledge in our community. It is a resource which many people don't tap. The vast majority of your questions can be adequately answered in one of the above subforums. If your question is not answered satisfactorily there, then ask us Purple Poasters. It is likely that one of us will respond to a question in the main forum anyways - we get around a lot.

Keep up your curiosity,

MaxL_1023

I've never been a fan of the tag personally. During the short period of time I had it, it made me very uncomfortable because good content should stand on its own merit, not on that of the poster.

People who make good content will be recognized by people who actively participate in the community; they don't need a tag that tells everyone they're elite and should be taken more seriously. I know it isn't intended at all, but when I was a newcomer here, the purple poaster tag made me cringe and gave the forums a circle-jerky feel. I stuck around because the content was well thought out, unlike on the main forums.

Ideally, if the rep system was used correctly good content will be easily identified for people who aren't well versed in the game I.e. upvoting only well thought out content (even if you disagree) and negging posts that are poorly reasoned without any sort of social stigma attached to it. Unfortunately, the rep system is just a popularity contest most of the time. People get upvoted all the time for fluff (including myself) and many people who make poorly reasoned posts do not get negged; negs are usually only given to people who say things that are so blatantly retarded that negging is not informative for anyone.

An example is this thread: 

The OP just says he likes the t71 more than the bulldog with ZERO explanation or reasoning. In a section meant for intelligent discussion. The post should've been garbage canned. But failing that it baffles me that I'm the only person who thought it was neg-worthy. No offense to HavocWarpath on a personal level but that thread is just vapid.

Maybe an anonymous [useful/misinformation/fluff/funny] voting/categorization system that isn't cumulative unlike the rep system and doesn't show up on your profile, with the expressed purpose of identifying useful, thoughtful content and flagging misinformation. This way we have a way of creating consensus while still allowing for without anyone feeling afraid of speaking out because of stats, etc. At the same time, people could tag posts as funny instead of useful, which is indistinguishable using just an upvote. Funny/fluff posts are desirable in their own right but they diminish the utility of the rep system in its current form.

Had another thought over lunch:

Let all questions start in a general area.

Allow certain questions to be "elevated" to a PP only section, if they merit high level discussion.

Limit PP section to threads/discussions started by PP or elevated questions.

a) Make participation easier by allowing everyone in, so more people will participate, thus potentially lowering the quality of discussion

b) Include more purples in the purple poster group, giving more opportunities for content

c) If that is saturated, re-initiate "trusted gudpoaster" and let them post in said section - which will dilute less than opening it to everyone, but will increase necessary scruitny a bit too

d) Allowing the content to be more freeform (aka letting everyone post) but allowing the purples the ability to hide anything they want - which will increase necessary scrutiny and moderation load.

e) Try and get more EU/RU players involved in this forum, which will increase the user base and provide more content

A) and D) are exactly why this Casual section has been introduced on a test basis. Traffic in AAPP has been slow and the hope is that this will show whether relaxed controls improve it, and help decide how to best utilize the section from here.

B) and C) are a no for two reasons: first, it wouldn't fix anything, as the traffic needs to be driven by the community creating threads and not by Purples answering them; second, as I explained on the first page, the PP group is there to moderate the restricted section and those are privileges that cannot be freely handed out.

E) sounds good, please help

-snip-

Why are you no longer a PP, out of curiosity? I agree with some of what you've said here, but with the way that the AAPP section is designed we needed a special group of purples with permissions to moderate it. As we figure out how the AAPP sections should be structured (split into two or no, full posting restrictions or no, etc.) we will be able to redefine the focus of the PP group to fit the sections' needs and address the issues you mentioned. It's good that everyone is discussing all of this right now, to help shape those changes.

A rep system will never work on a public board for anything constructive, such is the nature of online communities.

The big problem is that once you get past things that can be answered easily by wikis or other information sources, people simply do not know what they don't know.  And because of that it makes asking a question incredibly difficult, which is why you see so few APP questions that aren't too general (and probably belong somewhere else) or so ludicrously specific as to be of dubious use.  This is also why they basically became fan clubs with the occasional tank question thrown in (and most of those questions have been answered 10 times already elsewhere on this site).

Maybe the 'Purple Poster' section would be better used as a place where you would really want the Purples to be posting-- not answering questions like 'how much HEAT should I run in the STB?' or 'what equipment on my SU-100m?'.  Why not have purples discuss map strategies with different tanks or higher level platooning concepts or illustrate more vague concepts like map control/vision control/firing lines, or even things like 'how to know when to push', 'how to know when to fall back', 'effective trading', etc.  These can be discussions between purples... that's actually better so people can see that these issues are often more grey than black and white.

I thought the Murovanka thread was EXCELLENT as a place where good players came together and shared ideas.  I wanted to read their thoughts and compare them to my experiences.  Purples should be weighing the pros and cons of tanks and discussing tips and tricks to maximize the performance in them beyond the obvious 'tank review' general overview (Burdenedfungus' E-100 guide is the perfect example).

Relying on people who don't know what they need to know to formulate a question that can then be only most effectively answered by a PP is... just inefficient.

Maybe the 'Purple Poster' section would be better used as a place where you would really want the Purples to be posting-- not answering questions like 'how much HEAT should I run in the STB?' or 'what equipment on my SU-100m?'.  Why not have purples discuss map strategies with different tanks or higher level platooning concepts or illustrate more vague concepts like map control/vision control/firing lines, or even things like 'how to know when to push', 'how to know when to fall back', 'effective trading', etc.  These can be discussions between purples... that's actually better so people can see that these issues are often more grey than black and white.

Just the posts of purples of GarGood quality and not GarBad quality.

Not every thread or post from a purple is great, though they do have more potential than other users from a meta game stand point.