Scout_in_da_house

Purple poaster info

51 posts in this topic

Why are you no longer a PP, out of curiosity?

I asked Pity to ban my account for about 2 months mid 2014 and when I came back I was no longer in the group; I declined reentry because I wasn't really contributing much and I wasn't comfortable with the idea of it.

snip

For the implementation of both this and a possible elevation system, could one not have it so that only purple poasters, at least in the question areas, could flag them with the dumb-fluff-whatever tags/ elevate them to APP for difficult questions. 

It would make it so that only a small number of posts get called out for being dumb, without them even being neg bombed unless they are deliberately stupid. Also posts that are of a high enough level of difficulty/complexity could be filtered out of the mass of very simple questions and put into a smaller, self managing area for posts that are requiring of a higher level of game knowledge. 

I dont know if this would work, the problems I see with it are that any PP with Bias/whatever else can call a post out for being stupid, even if it is not. (See garbad-theaty for the problems you all know arise from this) But it removes the need for neg repping someone who made a stupid post, even if it was not deliberately so, and would let PPs easily filter a large pool of questions by simple merit of there being quite a few PPs, and most are active enough to quickly see threads that are more complex and (with this implimented) move them to APP. (Or maybe just add a tag for In depth answer/PP answered whatever so that people know that there is a good answer in the thread, also could be done by other PPs) <---- an afterthought, so its not talked about after this. 

Just an idea, seems like it would help out moderation/improve levels of content in APP, but maybe the downsides are too large, with PPs holding more sway over how the community views things. 

Sorry if this makes no sense.

quick edit: APP, no matter what some people here think, from someone who uses it alot (see the extremely fast improvement) is incredibly useful for understanding of concepts, tactics, and other stuff. Its great that you guys are trying to resolve some of its problems, but do know that your content is fantastic, coming from someone who has read a lot of it :) 

I liked the idea of having a free for all question area with PP moderators.

They can:

a) Remove garbage questions

b) Remove garbage replies

c) Remove incorrect answers

d) Edit in their opinion on a post

e) Edit in why the post isn't quite right

With the purple text as mentioned. That way every reply that isn't helpful is removed or made useful. Somebody reading the thread is only gonna find good, solid info.

As it stands I hardly ever post in PP, I can make a thread in a regular section and get immediate replies. Waiting for moderator approval on my posting is quite offputting.

Why are you no longer a PP, out of curiosity? I agree with some of what you've said here, but with the way that the AAPP section is designed we needed a special group of purples with permissions to moderate it. As we figure out how the AAPP sections should be structured (split into two or no, full posting restrictions or no, etc.) we will be able to redefine the focus of the PP group to fit the sections' needs and address the issues you mentioned. It's good that everyone is discussing all of this right now, to help shape those changes.

I asked Pity to ban my account for about 2 months mid 2014 and when I came back I was no longer in the group; I declined reentry because I wasn't really contributing much and I wasn't comfortable with the idea of it.

I'm pretty sure you changed your IGN during that time. Changing your name and re-verifying your account removes all special perms such as PP/Patron/etc

If a "FFA"-area would be made - what incentive would people have to use the other sub-forums instead of just asking in this FFA area?

If people start to become lazy and just post in that thread, then the PP's will have some more work to do with filtering, moving and reviewing all of the new posts/threads.

If a "FFA"-area would be made - what incentive would people have to use the other sub-forums instead of just asking in this FFA area?

If people start to become lazy and just post in that thread, then the PP's will have some more work to do with filtering, moving and reviewing all of the new posts/threads.

I mean, by the same token, and as alluded to earlier, why would I want to ask a question in a non-APP section?

Without meaning to sound like an ass, if the question is any more high-level than "wut equipment goes on my tonk", why would I even open it up to anyone but APP? If they accept it, sure, and if not, maybe i'll throw it in the other threads then. But it creates an environment where APP will be spammed by every question and only the leftovers will go elsewhere. I like the idea of a general question pool, with the ability to elevate questions, but honestly, I think the thing is that the general question thread is comparitively buried compared to how prominent the Purple Poster section is. It's much more convenient/apparent on the primary forum page that I can post a question here for whatever confusion I have. Also, given the other question thread is... a thread, the potential to have posts get buried/missed exists.

I mean, by the same token, and as alluded to earlier, why would I want to ask a question in a non-APP section?

Without meaning to sound like an ass, if the question is any more high-level than "wut equipment goes on my tonk", why would I even open it up to anyone but APP? If they accept it, sure, and if not, maybe i'll throw it in the other threads then. But it creates an environment where APP will be spammed by every question and only the leftovers will go elsewhere. I like the idea of a general question pool, with the ability to elevate questions, but honestly, I think the thing is that the general question thread is comparitively buried compared to how prominent the Purple Poster section is. It's much more convenient/apparent on the primary forum page that I can post a question here for whatever confusion I have. Also, given the other question thread is... a thread, the potential to have posts get buried/missed exists.

So maybe quick question/quick answers could be moved to a more apparent area? That would make it get more traffic, and redirect more basic queries to it instead of APP. The elevation idea could work if the forum has a general question pool, and then you can only have your thread elevated, not immediately put it in APP.I just once again see a lot of problems with it since purples would need to moderate a sub forum to an extent.

Kinda with Spencer on the initial opinion the APP gave off, and posts standings on merits. 

To put a slight spin, why not rename APP to "Good Questions, Good Answers" and let PP move/split quality and useful discussions to the former APP section? 

In GQGA, permissions stay the same, just get PPs to highlight good answers, and spoiler meh ones. 

Is there a list of these people somewhere?

Go to forum homepage, scroll to bottom and click "Overall Top Posters". "More Search Options" should be at the top right where you can filter and see only PP's. 

I've got a view threads up for approval in APP. Moved some, hid some, garbaged some (so that I could answer to the OP). Still some left where I am unsure if anyone wants to answer. If not, let me know so I can move them to other sections, as they are worthy of a thread, maybe just not in APP.

I've never been a fan of the tag personally. During the short period of time I had it, it made me very uncomfortable because good content should stand on its own merit, not on that of the poster.

I'm with spencer. When Allurai was advertising this joint I was expecting something like the Elitist Jerks forum for WoW. Anyone can post but if you make illogical/ridiculous/offtopic posts in the serious area you get banned. Thats elitist as all hell but it doesn't let someone swing their stats around for cred. Purples who posted BS that defies statistics would catch bans just like reds spewing the same tripe. The EJ mods were pretty aggressive about removing wrong or bad posts and members were expected to retract their own mistakes.

It wasn't perfect but it had the highest signal to noise ratio I've ever seen on a forum.

If the PP's are limited, let them have their own thread within PP...that way players can pose/post the question to the PP of their choice.

Since each PP has their own unique play style and bed side manner, us paupers know with who we grapple when posting.

Only have that...do away with Ask a Purple Poaster. Kind of redundant.

*edit...

And it's mixed with other superfluous cosmic goo.

Casual Purple

(Just purples strings-no need for another section)

JM.02c

Edited by Pitch_Black

no, AAPP is easy to keep excellent info clearly displayed to anyone who's looking for it. We moderate it so we can keep it clear and concise. The best info outside of articles on this site comes from there.

If the PP's are limited, let them have their own thread within PP...that way players can pose/post the question to the PP of their choice.

Since each PP has their own unique play style and bed side manner, us paupers know with who we grapple when posting.

Why would you want a single purple's opinions when you can have the discussion of multiple purples answering it? Serious questions get much more out of discussion and having the floor open to all purples means that the ones best qualified to answer can do so. Beyond that, the Casual section can't be post queued, and the quality of responses found in APP can only be had by post queuing. Casual Purple is not a replacement for APP, it's just that - casual chat. APP is for in-depth gameplay discussion by the resident experts.

Why would you want a single purple's opinions when you can have the discussion of multiple purples answering it? Serious questions get much more out of discussion and having the floor open to all purples means that the ones best qualified to answer can do so. Beyond that, the Casual section can't be post queued, and the quality of responses found in APP can only be had by post queuing. Casual Purple is not a replacement for APP, it's just that - casual chat. APP is for in-depth gameplay discussion by the resident experts.

Good points Ag, and I appreciate the discussion.

But do you realize there are 570 strings in A&PP?

How many PP are there? Wouldn't it be slightly more efficient to post to the PP of your choice only?

the ones that are in there have been answered and discussed. we all get notified when a new one pops up. the best and most informative ones get archived after an answer has been chosen. so yes, theres a lot of threads in there, but active ones? pretty much 0

I think it's time to re-evaluate the PP status of a certain (wotlabs sponsored streamer) EU player called weenis. For a long time it has been known that @WaterWar has rigged this vote, and swept it under the rug for the purpose of cyber bullying.

@Kolni will vouch for me.

Also, @X3N4 has stayed at my house. Enough said.

9 hours ago, weenis said:

I think it's time to re-evaluate the PP status of a certain (wotlabs sponsored streamer) EU player called weenis. For a long time it has been known that @WaterWar has rigged this vote, and swept it under the rug for the purpose of cyber bullying.

@Kolni will vouch for me.

Also, @X3N4 has stayed at my house. Enough said.

Shirtless stream and you have a deal :doge: