allenmark00

SU-152 Fan Club

55 posts in this topic

I recently got this monster and all I can say is that it works like an gremlin-sized KV-2: uses an 152mm to blast the living daylights out of Hellcats, ATs, and anything else that rolls in front of it with HE. Although I haven't caused pub rage yet, the stock grind is relatively easy.

I usually play derp gun tanks as a change of pace from the norm. (Ex: Play a few games in M4 Sherman w/ 105mm instead of 76mm) However, I cannot stick with them, especially the larger ones, as I hate the inflexibility that comes with the long reload and the very RNG dependent damage rolls and accuracy. While oneshotting tanks is quite fun, I find greater pleasure in consistently doing well.

That being said, I can completely understand why people can, and enjoy this tank.

Love this thing just for the lols.

There's nothing like driving out into enemy guns, rotating 90 degrees and snapshotting a purple Ru-251s turret from 464m then rolling for 824 nuking him.

This tank is pure proof RNG Is nothing but lies lol.

More seriously:

Armour: non existent but the gun mantle takes shots like a boss and I find pubbies often miss or hit an autobounce side when you pull away from pure panic or devastation. Hp is very low tho so you have to be incredibly careful about trading even tho you have a huge alpha.

Gun: bad handling but lol RNG. 700 alpha terrifies ppl and makes them play stupid. Overmatches anything below 51mms so learn those zones. Also the arc isn't great but I really dislike turretless TDs normally.

250 HEAT at T7? Awesome for everything. It even makes a little money if you pen for full damage. Don't bother with AP. Oh and don't bother sniping for weakspots at range just load HE and watch the rage as you do a consistent 400 damage wrecking modules and crew.

Mobility: Somewhat lacking so I use fuel which makes it decent and I find I don't really ever get set on fire but that could be luck.

This tank is a gun. Don't be afraid to loose a bit of health if you can drop a 700 damage bomb into an enemy advance to let your teammates finish them off. Weigh the opportunities, it may be better to clear out most of a tanks health instead of take a gun out of the game unlike most tanks.

Oh and always remember to use your meatshields and time shots.

I played this tank way back in the days well before the 8.6 sigma changes. Even then it was hilariously fun and pretty effective, still have fond memories of lobbing watermelons across the ditch of old El Halluf, and sniper-derping the light tanks who tried to dash into the middle. Even if you miss the splash would usually track em anyway.

I wish I had given the 122mm guns a better try but I don't think I could aim well enough to make the DPM work :P

I've played 10 games or so. It's a decent tank. Slower than the SU-100 and a bit on the big side it keeps the -6 gun depression which is what I'm used to only playing the USSR TD line.

It makes up for being big and slow by having the greatest biggest stock gun up to tier VII. The 152mm derp can send any medium or light same tier or lower to the garage in a second with HE (86 pen and 910 avg. damage).

While the HE causes havoc on lightly armored targets the AP on the stock gun only have 135mm penetration - too low to really make use of a derp gun at medium range at tier 7. Enter HEAT; 250 pen and 700 damage makes this tank an absolute terror on the battlefield. Tier 8 heavies will flee in terror from the usual brawling areas after losing half of their HP just from poking. Get the first shot, back up, repeat a couple of times and that is 2k damage.

I have not gotten as much hate in ten games in this tank, as in a hundred games in other tanks.

tldr., The tears you reap while spamming HEAT with this thing could water a desert.

I played this way back in the day, back before the sigma changes and HEAT changes.

I rolled about flinging HEAT like a baddie and when I look back I actually did very well considering what my skill level would have been back then.

I'm sure it's not quite as effective now.

So how are the other 2 guns in terms of reliabilty? I had almost researched the second gun last night, but I wasn't sold on the armor penetration...yet.

The top gun on the SU-152 is the same gun the SU-122-44 gets, so you can read that thread for gun handling reviews. The only difference is that the D25-S reload on the SU-152 is slightly faster. Since I have the 122-44, there's no point for me in playing the SU-152 in this configuration, since if I want to play with the D25-S, I'll do it in the premium and get more credits and crew xp.

It should also be noted that the SU-152 is a god-awful platform for making use of the 122s (especially when compared to its premium brother). Use the derp and never look back. You don't have the armor or mobility to mantain effective DPM.

I am having a hard time with the SU152

Maybe it's the 9.6 accuracy / dispersion? I use the 152mm because I don't see the point of the 122mm on a heavy slow moving machine,

This gun can miss fully aimed shot at mid range like there's no tomorrow, shoot the sky or blow the dirt...

The occasional fun of taking half the health of a Tiger in one shot doesn't make up for it's lack of flexibility or reliability. I find it hard to influence a game's outcome, even if I end up doing a bit of damage.

I am having a hard time with the SU152

Maybe it's the 9.6 accuracy / dispersion? I use the 152mm because I don't see the point of the 122mm on a heavy slow moving machine,

This gun can miss fully aimed shot at mid range like there's no tomorrow, shoot the sky or blow the dirt...

The occasional fun of taking half the health of a Tiger in one shot doesn't make up for it's lack of flexibility or reliability. I find it hard to influence a game's outcome, even if I end up doing a bit of damage.

You're probably having a hard time with it because it's terrible.

The meta has changed since I played the SU152, but I am certain it can still work if you run the 152 with HEAT. That level of alpha at that tier is just insane, no matter what the platform is like.

I just got this yesterday. The gun handling really isn't as bad as I expected, and the alpha...

Platform isn't that good, but I'm having too much fun ebolaiding people in the face :)

The meta has changed since I played the SU152, but I am certain it can still work if you run the 152 with HEAT. That level of alpha at that tier is just insane, no matter what the platform is like.

At the moment I'm playing this tank a lot and even tho I'm not as experienced as the rest on this forum I would say the 152 with HEAT trolls you as much as it trolls the enemy. With the awful accuracy and aim time you are just as likely to miss or hit spaced armour when firing from distance, even if your fully aimed the shot can end up anywhere really. With the lack of mobility and the traverse speed it isn't good at closer range and trying to snipe from 300m+ is hard but when you land those shots it's hilarious. I managed to blow up a IS-3 for his full hp which made me giggle while the IS-3 driver raged. 

But does anyone know what the secret to aiming is with this tank? Is it all pure rng or can you actually consistently land your shots from distance? I'm at the last mission for the Stug and need to do 4K damage but it feels very hard to do with this tank.

At the moment I'm playing this tank a lot and even tho I'm not as experienced as the rest on this forum I would say the 152 with HEAT trolls you as much as it trolls the enemy. With the awful accuracy and aim time you are just as likely to miss or hit spaced armour when firing from distance, even if your fully aimed the shot can end up anywhere really. With the lack of mobility and the traverse speed it isn't good at closer range and trying to snipe from 300m+ is hard but when you land those shots it's hilarious. I managed to blow up a IS-3 for his full hp which made me giggle while the IS-3 driver raged. 

But does anyone know what the secret to aiming is with this tank? Is it all pure rng or can you actually consistently land your shots from distance? I'm at the last mission for the Stug and need to do 4K damage but it feels very hard to do with this tank.

Honestly at this point in time, I wouldn't even bother with HEAT on that tank. The gun is so horribly inaccurate and derpy and HEAT gets eaten by spaced armor so often now that anything less than shooting at point blank range is going to be an infuriating series of misses and non-pens. Just load mostly HE and a couple of AP and HEAT rounds for when you absolutely know you're going to be able to pen your next shot. 

Also wouldn't even bother trying for TD15 in a slow, derpy tier 7 TD. The ISU with the BL10 on the other hand.....

Also wouldn't even bother trying for TD15 in a slow, derpy tier 7 TD. The ISU with the BL10 on the other hand.....

Oh well, thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll keep grinding until I get the ISU, now I almost wish I went with the WT line instead but maybe the ISU-152 and the Object 704 will do wonders compared to the SU. The whole reason I'm grinding this line is to be able to do the TD missions as I'm not an arty fan exactly.

Oh well, thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll keep grinding until I get the ISU, now I almost wish I went with the WT line instead but maybe the ISU-152 and the Object 704 will do wonders compared to the SU. The whole reason I'm grinding this line is to be able to do the TD missions as I'm not an arty fan exactly.

Once you get the BL10, you'll begin to see why the line has been so popular for so long although the love/hate/rage relationship with its derpy guns will never really get better. 704 is a great tank though if a bit infuriating sometimes.

I would just blab people with the OP HEAT shells, 250 is enough to kill anything head on it will normally see with the exception of E75 and VK-P.

SU-152 is the prime example of an assault gun, very good straight line speed (faster as the fastest heavys) with decent troll armor (the gunmantle and autobounce plate combined cover like 1/3 of the front) and a high mounted gun with just enough gun depression.

700 alpha dmg + 3000 dpm + 250 pen, its just OP as hell :P you can 2 shot same tier tanks, criple higher tier stuff in 1 hit, and can shot trade with anything and everyone and come out as winner

ps: take enough HE shells with you though, in tier 9 fights or on long range its better to shoot HE, unless you can get clsoe / flank

ps ps: and hitting 2x for decent dmg means you alrdy did what you need to do, its that strong...

Dunno i dont really like it at the moment, but i have to admit its stock and im probabily used too much to the su100, which it way faster. Also i dont like bush camping with tds and i do not belive that this is an assault gun: apart from the mantlet the armor is crap and traverse is even worse; it turns like a boat or.... a TOG?

Still i would like some advise on how to carry a game considering i have today sinked my wr with it.

Ok cancel what i said before: with the top engine and tracks its very good and u can use it as a assault gun.

Traverse is a bit crappy but stalin guides those missiles like a pro i have problems only over 500m

Hail Stalin Hail Russia

I don't know how people can complain about this tank. I get it that in old meta even if you fired he only there were enough firing lanes to get you many shots but now it's still viable. Seriously what other tank offers shoot 2 times to deal x2 your hp (ok 1.8x) ? I've had many games when I thought "jesus I didn't shoot much" and still ended up with top damage around 2.5k because that's 4 heat rounds. Ok, now not all heat rounds pen because of tracks but they still pen waaaaaaaay more than they should. The amount of t8 and t9 heavy turrets I have penned at 300m+ is insane and that's with a crew barely over 100%

I still have this SU folks and I'm not saying it's shit, but it's enjoyable. I almost got the 2nd gun, but everything else is upgraded. And the crew is decently trained as well. I find useful for scoring damage against that Tier 7 French heavy and the occassional KV, but that bad thing about it is that the TD needs an partner or two while it reloads. I'm thinking on running a BIA/Repairs crew to increase my survival rate...

Repairs? If you are tracked and not repaired immediately you are dead anyway. 

Also from your post it seems to me you are not using heat on the 152. That's a mistake. Seriously. With a prem acc you will be +/- 5k and you need 5 shots to have a really good game. Plus it's just enjoyable to frontally 2 shot IS-3's.

I am a big fan of this tank as well. It has it all. Lack of maneuverability is compensated by complete absence of armor. Huge size means that even blind monkey will have no problems hitting it. Gun is very versatile as well - you can't shoot from long distance, because it takes shell half an hour to travel anywhere and even if the target is not moving, horrible accuracy means that you are very unlikely to hit anything, and you can't shoot from close distance, because you have no armor nor agility to avoid getting shot three times in return. Aiming takes forever, which works just great with a soft huge TD, which cannot survive in the open longer than a few seconds. And best of all - after waiting for 20 seconds to reload, you can do those oh so impressive 200 dmg with a HE shell. I've never rage-sold the tank so far, but I have a feeling that I am very close this time. 

Please, please, please, give me some advice how to make it work? After reading this thread I do understand that I should use HEAT shells much more liberally (although I have problem avoiding bounces with them). But what about general play style, positioning, etc.?