allenmark00

SU-152 Fan Club

55 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, isterija said:

I am a big fan of this tank as well. It has it all. Lack of maneuverability is compensated by complete absence of armor. Huge size means that even blind monkey will have no problems hitting it. Gun is very versatile as well - you can't shoot from long distance, because it takes shell half an hour to travel anywhere and even if the target is not moving, horrible accuracy means that you are very unlikely to hit anything, and you can't shoot from close distance, because you have no armor nor agility to avoid getting shot three times in return. Aiming takes forever, which works just great with a soft huge TD, which cannot survive in the open longer than a few seconds. And best of all - after waiting for 20 seconds to reload, you can do those oh so impressive 200 dmg with a HE shell. I've never rage-sold the tank so far, but I have a feeling that I am very close this time. 

Please, please, please, give me some advice how to make it work? After reading this thread I do understand that I should use HEAT shells much more liberally (although I have problem avoiding bounces with them). But what about general play style, positioning, etc.?

When top tier or a tier 8 game with only 2-3 tier 8:

Go to places where heavys go and:

• And aim for a corner where they will show up (a SU-152 is (much) faster as even heavy tanks, so when you rush to a place where heavy tank will come your always first, giving you a free shot
  • When fighting heavys, wait till the enemy shoots, drive around the corner and smash them with HEAT, dont stay too close, since they you will be all the time spotted, but also not too far away, since then you cant aim fast enough
  • When deciding what target to shoot, avoid tanks with <200 hp, unless they can hit you / flanked a team mate and suchs, its better to go for the damage, a tiger losing half hes hp in 1 hit might retreat right away
  • Learn what tanks to shoot with HEAT and which tanks not, mediums, most TDs and german tanks are always fine, russian and british tanks often not

When fighting lots of tier 8 / 9:

• Rush to heavy spot, get 1 shot on, and try to keep distance
  • On some maps you go sniping, but instead of HEAT, load HE, when side shots, aim for the side hull, so you detrack, and otherwise for the turret, turret hits give more module dmg and for some tanks also more normal damage (if the hull roof is weak)

When you are low hp and stuck in a corner, and certain to die, load HEAT and camp, most people wont like rushing you and the first to try and peek will take 700 dmg :)

ps: the SU-152 is one of the few tanks were aiming really pays off, the shells are slow, so you need to aim a lot in front of tanks, the accuracy is however not that bad, so you can certainly hit on long range, just try to avoid it where possible and when you do shoot long range (like begining of campinovka) load HE, better to shoot cheap ammo and deal 300-400 dmg as miss expensive heat

I find the accuracy has been surprising- with the caveat that I have not taken ANY snapshots from more than 20M away. Hitting moving targets at range is difficult,but stationary ones normally get hit if you let the reticle fully close.

1 hour ago, GehakteMolen said:

When top tier...

Wow, thanks a million for such an exhaustive reply!
Today I found out that Black Prince, which was firmly in the second place of my Most Hated list, can actually work, at least sometimes.  So maybe there's hope for SU-152 as well. :)

I used the 122mm when I first ground through this line for the extra RoF and accuracy, but that was back before silver premium ammo. Today, being able to load up on 152mm HEAT is just too hilarious to pass up even if you just feel like derping around.

Be more opportunistic. Fire HE at enemies who are thinking they are safe. Hide, reload HEAT when going with the glut of your team. No one expects 700dmg from a t7

22 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

I was informed that I am supposed to grind out the two 122s that I'll need on the ISU while in this tank, is that accurate?

True. You need to elite SU-152 before going further.

But it is an easy grind, since the stock derp is the best gun anyway. You will use it on ISU, too, but firing mostly HE. at that tier HEAT is no longer a default ammo.

I think that SU-152 is the most fun in the whole line. Sure, SU-100 (with 122) and ISU are the true beasts, but SU-152 HEAT is most effective in todays meta, ISU feels weak now (not the gun - awesome as always, but hard to position on most maps). Also, it has the best overall armor of the whole line before 704.

P:S: do not forget the great AP round. It has same penetration as KV-2 gold ammo. Very usefull when you do not wanna do 300 dmg on soft tanks, and cheaper than HEAT...harder to troll by tracks...just be sure you know all your enemies.

Wow... The salt was real when you have no fucks to give and just toss HEAT rounds around in a tier 7 battle. The tears were delicious.

20 minutes ago, SZXT77 said:

Or you pen an HE round on the back of a tier 9 medium :poi:

Or you can be pre-loaded for a heavy brawl and plow a HEAT round into a T-80 that shouldn't have gone around that corner and collect the salty tears. What I didn't get about all of the rage coming my way was they'd be dead anyway if I had used HE. They should feel honored that I wasted the credits that game and just used HEAT on everyone.

23 hours ago, avandelay said:

Or you can be pre-loaded for a heavy brawl and plow a HEAT round into a T-80 that shouldn't have gone around that corner and collect the salty tears. What I didn't get about all of the rage coming my way was they'd be dead anyway if I had used HE. They should feel honored that I wasted the credits that game and just used HEAT on everyone.

Leaving a smoking hole in the ground where the scout used to be is always worth a few extra credits, as his anguish is often an effective way of convincing his teammates "don't go there".

Here be dragons...

On 9/28/2016 at 1:56 PM, Necrophore said:

Leaving a smoking hole in the ground

Except when you literally leave a smoking hole in the ground because rng and dirt attraction.

I have started to really like this tank, and I tend to use a lot of HE instead of HEAT.  I still use the HEAT, but I find myself seeking out Skorps and CDCs . . .

OMG, one-shot ammo-rack evaporating a full health CDC with HE on a side pen less than a minute into game = worth it.

Fan club President has arrived with a string of troll penetrations I had a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CVrIjJuNPM

On-track necro...

Just got this.  Firing nothing but HE for the first three games, had some hilarious shots (how the hell did I do 700+ to a Chinese tier 8 TD?  Need to look at the armor model...).  Pretty good reload for this high a damage output, I put in a BIA crew working on their third skill.  It's nice to play a tank that's actually enjoyable with the stock gun.  Is there any reason at all to research the 122mm guns?  Doesn't seem worth it so far, but wondering...

Running vents/rammer/torsion bars until I unlock the suspension.  Will probably switch the bars out for GLD or vents (thinking GLD right now, aim time is currently 3.19) once I have the xp.  Any gameplay tips for the current meta/maps?  Seems like plays pretty well as a heavy-supporting assault gun when top tier, but I admit I have yet to take an actual look at the armor model.

On 3/30/2018 at 4:31 PM, Tanager said:

On-track necro...

Just got this.  Firing nothing but HE for the first three games, had some hilarious shots (how the hell did I do 700+ to a Chinese tier 8 TD?  Need to look at the armor model...).  Pretty good reload for this high a damage output, I put in a BIA crew working on their third skill.  It's nice to play a tank that's actually enjoyable with the stock gun.  Is there any reason at all to research the 122mm guns?  Doesn't seem worth it so far, but wondering...

Running vents/rammer/torsion bars until I unlock the suspension.  Will probably switch the bars out for GLD or vents (thinking GLD right now, aim time is currently 3.19) once I have the xp.  Any gameplay tips for the current meta/maps?  Seems like plays pretty well as a heavy-supporting assault gun when top tier, but I admit I have yet to take an actual look at the armor model.

122ms are only to ease the t8 isu grind. 

As for guides GM's guide is still valid. Just learn what can be penned with heat. This tank racks up damage fast

On 3/30/2018 at 7:31 AM, Tanager said:

I use the top 122  most of the time. It's a change in playstyle, as the DPM tempts you to stay on target rather than backing off to reload, and you can take a lot more crap shots. The guns are uncommon since they're not needed for the ISU, so you do get the occasional player who rolls out into the open for you because they think you are still reloading. (I do keep the derp gun in the depot for the occasional giggles, though.)

21 hours ago, hazzgar said:

122ms are only to ease the t8 isu grind. 

As for guides GM's guide is still valid. Just learn what can be penned with heat. This tank racks up damage fast

Except ISU no longer has the 122s the SU gets so if you are just grinding, its pointless to reaearch them.

2 hours ago, leggasiini said:

Except ISU no longer has the 122s the SU gets so if you are just grinding, its pointless to reaearch them.

So even better for the SU though SU152 is probably one of the most fun non turreted TD's I've played and it doesn't care about MM. I love smacking t9 heavies for 700 when they think they can trade with me. For some stupid reason people have still not learned that this tank has a strong heat round

This 152 is nothing but an exact clone of the premium 122S. I think I made a mistake going down this line...