cullenscout1970

T-44 undervalued

93 posts in this topic

Sup I took some friends of mines advice and ground up the USSR med line and at first hated the t44 but as I got it top and a good dose of apcr later started doing 2.5k dmg + games no matter the mm. Point is pen is poor but with careful use of apcr it overcomes this and becomes a great knife fighter stonk tonk

Yup would strongly agree..its a little charmer..with the 100mm and fully updgraded is a good flanker too.

Only real weakness is the ammo racks...like seriously..you will be constantly be losing the ammo rack...WAR doesnt help much..its more that ammo is located all over...esp front/sides. I ended up runnning two kits one reg and one premium repair kit.

Was prepared to dislike this..but its actually much better than most realise...its just massively over-shadowed by its big brother T-54.

T-43 was similar...was prepared to hate it...but actually ended up really liking it as well.

Russian Medium has a ton of good tanks T-34-85, T-43, T-44 etc...

It was the first medium in the line that really "clicked" with me.  I've got something like a 57% winrate in it over 400ish battles, it's a fantastic little tank.  Probably my second favorite tank overall, only because the T-54 exists.

I've never actually had a problem with the ammorack, tbh.  Safe Stowage takes care of me most of the time (Or the wet ammo rack), so I've only ever been full-hp exploded in the thing once.  

Most of the ammoracks and fuel tanks for the russian meds/heavies/post-war tanks in general are concentrated in the front right quadrant on your hull (from your perspective driving the tank), so make sure to angle your tank so that they can't hit the front right and have to shoot the other side.  You'll forget a lot at first, then you'll start consciously realizing "oh shit i'm giving this dude my entire right side better fucking turn my tank quicklike", and then after a while you'll just instinctively angle your tank to protect that stupid fucking combo module.  But I've found that every time I get a damaged ammorack in this tank, it's either artillery, or somebody shot me through the right side/upper right quadrant of the front plate.  EDIT: Also, if you're carouseling someone, make sure to circle them counter-clockwise so your left is always facing them, just in case they get a shot off somehow

I also don't really use APCR in the thing that often.  Maybe i'm weird, but I've always found the 175 pen to be adequate with some careful aim, good driving, and some map and fire lane awareness.  Sure, I'll bounce some stuff... but when your gun's going off every7 seconds anyways, it's not too big a deal.

Gun is a little derpy for my taste. With AP, the shell velocity is a woeful 880 m/s, the pen on both the AP and APCR is lower than I like, and the tank has pretty bad bloom for how fast it accelerates. I've found its main advantage to be the combination of the hull shape, decent gun depression, and great agility - it lets you juke around people really well, and limiting exposure is easy. It's just, yeah, the gun. Used to be a little worse though, they buffed the DPM not long ago.

I'm favorably biased because it's the first tier 8 tank that I broke 60% WR with. I played mine way back, before physics and gold ammo for credits, and I have awesome memories of it. I think it took an agility nerf since then though, IIRC traverse was nerfed pretty hard (it used to have nearly as much as a T-50-2 when I played it) but I'm sure it's still a fine tank.

For me it'll always be the original run & gun Ruskie med. I might need to buy it back some day.

I'm favorably biased because it's the first tier 8 tank that I broke 60% WR with. I played mine way back, before physics and gold ammo for credits, and I have awesome memories of it. I think it took an agility nerf since then though, IIRC traverse was nerfed pretty hard (it used to have nearly as much as a T-50-2 when I played it) but I'm sure it's still a fine tank.

For me it'll always be the original run & gun Ruskie med. I might need to buy it back some day.

You should.  It's still one of the better run & gun Russkie meds, and probably the only tank other than the KV-2 or FV304 where the MM I get doesn't affect me too much.

I dunno why people think the gun is derpy though.. vert stab and semi-decent snap shot/smooth ride skills make the gun handling pretty superb, moving shots with autoaim are a viable use of ammunition.  The reload buff they introduced a while back pushed the gun from merely "decent" to "great" imo, that extra .5 seconds off was exactly what it needed for the gun to just feel right.  It just fired a tad too slow before that

I enjoyed the T-44 quite a bit when I played it. While it was far from OP, it was agile, relatively comfortable, and generally fun to play. Back at the time the meta was significantly less reliant on brawling, and the T-44 excelled when it wasn't forced in to that role, but could scout and flank and skirmish on its own terms.

The little buggers turret pisses me off all the time. I'll be in a tier 10 and a T-44 will pop up but he's hull down so I shoot his turret and it just dings off. OP pls nerf

I played the tank pre-buff and I will have to say it was ok.  Not amazing but ok.

However, I hear the DPM was buffed significantly so now the tank can actually play RU med style.

Idk, this tank is pretty trashy. There's no aspect of the tank you can leverage against higher tiers. Tier 10s are cancer, but driving a T-44 against tier 10s is like Mega Mecha Hitler.

But then again, I was doing fine in the tank until a bad losing streak. Might have to play it more.

yea its the one problem with it had a match where I was about 90% sure id be able to carry and get a pools medal when the jp2 im rushing pops my turret clean off i needed a new keyboard after that one. 

really loving this tank too! im actually playing it back to back, never had a tank i wanted to do that

One thing I always wondering about is: just how many ammo rack this thing has?

A week earlier I hit a T-44 in the front wheel as he drove past me, instead of tracking him, his turret went flying. I was like, What the heck?

But when I ran one back in the day before SEA server came around, I rarely get ammo racked - if at all - but then again; my Loader got safe stowage, but it shouldn't account that much isn't it?

I have safe stowage and I have no trouble with the ammo rack.

I have more trouble with the pen, which means you have to really know your weakspots and you load generous doses of apcr.

It's a decent tank, I enjoy playing it.

Safe stowage definitely makes a difference. You can still be ammo racked with it however. I got blasted from the front by an M110E3 and the turret came off. 

The APCR spam is real, I'm with the ID1OT gun though, it's decent at best but I can't afford to miss with such a innacurate gun with that ridiculous aimtime.

I have been ammoracked only once 8 games, I have Wet Ammorack but no safe stowage. I've seen so many ammoracks on T-44s that it made me use that equipment.

Then again, I had 0 games as top tier.

The LB-1 is such a huge upgrade over the ID10T. I only carry 9 APCR rounds with it and rarely end up using all of them, and often don't use any of them.

T-44 was the first tank I was solidly purple with after 100 + games.  Wish the win rate was a bit better though.  I was prepared for a stinker of a tank, but the Russian hovertek is stronk with this one....  No real gripes for tier.  Always finds a way to come through in a pinch.

Didn't want to start a new thread- but I wanted to post this up as both a T-44 game and a "being a bottom tier med in a BT10 game".  It's a hugely broad topic given the flexibility of medium play, which changes with maps, team layouts, skills, map-reading/battle development etc. 

This was not a big damage game or a carry by any means, but I think I really held my own this game with fluid play, paying attention to the layout and trying to identify exactly where I could contribute. Still over 1k base XP and top xp on the team without anything fancy.

pearl_river-soviet_union-t_44-4544394228

Replay

Battle Report

Our team spawns north and the entire team moves east for a heavy push around the fishhook. I am the only one who moves South and point this out to the team, but don't get much in the way of assistance and our obj 261 positions himself without reading the map very well.  So I am thinking the best I can do is delay whatever they send my way as much as possible. So I head to the overlook at F4 to spot the middle and southern approach.

1) I get spotted at the overlook of F2 without spotting anything in return.  My thoughts are this is actually a good thing for a delaying action- it shows you have an early presence on the flank and people won't hard push right away as they don't know what's behind me on my team. Basically I want to bluff and demonstrate presence right away since I know we are weak here. 

2) I move a bit to spot the southern pass without opening myself up to snipey ridge fire from the opposite way and spot a batchat (sneaky as hell). I get the snapshot off and then tuck in for where I can get another round into him.  Given his speed and the terrain I want to give him as small a target as I can given his horrible bloom and I am planning for when I will have to bail off this ridge in a few seconds. I go for the track in my last two shots, but damage without detracking and then bail, trading 3 shots into him. I also see they have they have the T54E1, CDC, BC and 13-90 against me and the KV4. 

3) As I bail out off the hill I am exposed to their sniper fire, but I know  it's from a long ways off- outside ~440m at least, so I try to stay moving as best I can (thank you new accuracy changes...) and escape taking only one shot in the ass. As I head back towards our flag on the lower road, I know the B-C, down to ~700hp is going on the higher road and is going to lay into our arty. Seeing this I swing around to smoke the B-C (public enemy no 1) as he comes around on our arty- arty is a moron anyway, so fuck him.  I miss an important shot and end up losing 400hp for it, but the B/C is down.  Our base-camping KV-4 is still at full hp, so I need to his hp while getting my gun into play. 

4) They have pushed too aggressively into our support fire from the middle, but the support is far off and there's bumpy terrain.  Need to stay alive, but their terrible push gets chewed up. I don't have the HP to go up against their autoloader lights, but by now it's cleanup time. I am careful, not wanting to get autoloaded, but the KV4 and I fork the paths and start moving south for a successful cleanup.  

Notice how as I get ambushed by the 1375 after killing the rhumba. I get right back into the depression to give him the hardest target possible. 

So this was just a meat and potatoes game in a tank I consider a quintessential "Medium" as a bottom tier with a 175 pen gun. I fired 2 gold rounds all game (when I thought I was about to go toe to toe with the E1), but made it out.

-Showed presence to slow down a potential enemy push on our weak flank.  

-Progressively retreated while trying to get my damage in

-Payed attention to the support I had so I couldn't get too iso'd. 

-Took advantage of their overly aggressive push. 

I know there was some luck and some mistakes were made on my part (would love any and all comments/critiques), but I thought this one was worth posting up and hope that some people find it useful.