cullenscout1970

T-44 undervalued

78 posts in this topic

OK team Wotlabs, my thing with tanks is I grind to tier 7/8 and then I start to lose focus. For some reason seeing those 150k-250k+ grinds just to get to the next tank (not to mention modules etc.) is just an enthusiasm inhibitor. Since one of the most recent posts in this was from me last April, I figure I will post a quick AAR since I binged 40 or so games in this over the last couple days with an XP booster and the medium bonuses going on.  Mostly solo, but @Flaksmith gave me some bad magic and dragged us into like, 10 BT10 games in a row towards the end.

63% WR, 1608 DPG, 2900 WN8.  Good stats are heavily weighted to the last 50 games or so as I felt like I really started to "get" the tank and already had picked up the modules. I used the LB-1 throughout (once I got it) and found it to be a decent, punchy option.  The 122 just does not blend with the strengths of this tank in my (and almost everyone else's) opinion.  

What I liked:

-Mobility, especially climbing

-Low silhouette- in the right circumstances you make a really small target while being able to return decent fire. 

-Small frame and angles give you some good bounces here and there. 

-Gun seems perfectly fitted to the role of this thing

-Probably my favorite thing: This tank can do so much between passive and aggressive play, it didn't feel boring to play many games with it in a single session.

What I didn't like

-Gun is still 180 base pen at tier 8 and APCR is only marginally better at 235.  This is actually great training for declining bad engagements. I think I used considerably more APCR than I needed to considering how much flanking and side-shooting you do. 

-Good lord, the ammo rack.  Got 1-shot AR'd by a T28 Prot for 1300 damage once yesterday. 

I have some good replays if anyone is interested, I think I got 4 Ace Tankers in 30 games yesterday. Looking forward to finally joining the ranks of T-54 owners.  Took me friggin long enough. 

14 minutes ago, Expendable_Lad said:

-SNIP-

I have some good replays if anyone is interested, I think I got 4 Ace Tankers in 30 games yesterday. Looking forward to finally joining the ranks of T-54 owners.  Took me friggin long enough. 

@Expendable_Lad I'd be interested in your replays. I'm trying to work thru the T-43 as fast as I can to get to this.

1 hour ago, GunnSm0ke said:

@Expendable_Lad I'd be interested in your replays. I'm trying to work thru the T-43 as fast as I can to get to this.

Sure thing man.  The first 3 are mostly e-peening 3.5-5k damage games in BT8: using trolley turret to only give low chances to hit for opponents, peeking and poking, bullying sometimes, but really come down to map awareness.  You'll notice a few WTF ghost shells disappearing in center mass in them.  Some of these are on US-East where my ping is bad.  So first 3 show how devastating this tank can be.

Murovanka Standard Battle. 4800 Damage. BT8. Good trading in forest, peeking and poking and batting cleanup. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/2442353#murovanka-expendablelad-t-44

Malinkova. Standard Battle. 3500 Damage. BT8. Great early trading and hill dominance. Stall in the middle against the KV-4 (should have gotten out earlier) then sloppy defense of their push, but still get the W. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/2442359#malinovka-expendablelad-t-44

Siegfried.  Defense. 4430 Damage. BT8.  Early southern dominance.  Solo a Tiger in first minute of play. Peek and play in city then come around for cleanup. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/2442405#siegfried_line-expendablelad-t-44

But of course, you are *rarely* top-tier, so last one is a BT 10 game for your viewing pleasure.  In general BT10 is more about presence and survival much more than damage.  My 180/230 pen gun is really not going to be a gamechanger, but presence, spotting and using your team's firing lanes is what it is all about.

In this game, I try to get to a spot for a bit of early damage and spotting to establish presence while still having an easy way out if things get hairy. Things do get hairy when they start pushing the dry river bed. Despite platoonie yelling at me on comms to GTFO, I know the important thing is just to delay them, let them know I am there, even if it means presenting a target briefly just so they stop to zoom in so arty and JPE-100 can wreck their faces. We take care of that and start cleanup. I get some good damage in on the E5, but you can see my tier 8 Med try to brawl an E5 in the sand.  Goes about as well as you would think...

Sand River. Standard Battle. 2900 Damage (damn proud of that in a T-44 in BT10).

http://wotreplays.com/site/2442416#sand_river-expendablelad-t-44

I love the T-44. It's a fantastic tank to play and a pleasure to rip through the battlefield in.

The recent buff to 180 base AP pen for the 100mm D-10T doesn't add much, just makes the tank slightly better for some who might have griped about the 175mm pen (i was fine with it)

I tend to be very aggressive when i play in this tank, and even at a tier 9-10 game I would be going with the medium tanks and do as much as i can. I like to push the tank and get stuck in to the thick of it. The DPM is good enough, and it's awesome how much mobility i can get 

I wasn't quite sure what there was to dislike about this tank (same as with the T-43, which i quite enjoyed much to my regular platoon mates's surprise), as i've had some consistently good fun in this tank

My highest damage game replay saved so far, (also one where i managed to complete the last personal mission [T28 HTC], not elited though since it was a loss): T-44 - Ensk - MT-15 Loss

My Ace game at Cliff, using the center area to dominate both sides and rack up the hits: T-44 - Cliff - Ace

So what's recommended loadout here?  Standard rammer, vstab, vents?

And I assume the top 100mm is the proper gun, not the 122?

What's the recommended research order?  I made the mistake of buying the thing before previewing the tank, and GG WG, once you've bought a tank you can't preview them to see what fits on the stock tracks.

It looks like tracks will have to be first - how tolerable a grind is the T-44?

2 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

What's the recommended research order?  I made the mistake of buying the thing before previewing the tank, and GG WG, once you've bought a tank you can't preview them to see what fits on the stock tracks.

It looks like tracks will have to be first - how tolerable a grind is the T-44?

You can't mount upgraded turret on stock tracks (so, no 100mm gun either).

When I played it, I bought enhanced suspension and used free XP for turret (so I could mount D-10T gun I had researched on IS). From there, I went top gun -> Tracks -> Engines. That semi-stock grind was tolerable, and I really enjoyed the elite tank. I did play it in vision meta few years ago, so I'm not sure how will it perform now.

Okay, given that the turret is required for the top gun, and the tracks are required for basically anything, what's the recommended research sequence?

tracks --> engine --> turret --> gun

...or...

tracks--> turret --> gun --> engine

???

7 hours ago, KurtaMurta said:

You can't mount upgraded turret on stock tracks (so, no 100mm gun either).

When I played it, I bought enhanced suspension and used free XP for turret (so I could mount D-10T gun I had researched on IS). From there, I went top gun -> Tracks -> Engines. That semi-stock grind was tolerable, and I really enjoyed the elite tank. I did play it in vision meta few years ago, so I'm not sure how will it perform now.

Okay, noted: turret and gun is considered more important than the engine.

Which leads to another question: I have like 72k in free XP accumulated, because I'm frugal with it.  Should I burn some on this thing, or just grind through the stock modules and save the free XP for something else?

2 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Which leads to another question: I have like 72k in free XP accumulated, because I'm frugal with it.  Should I burn some on this thing, or just grind through the stock modules and save the free XP for something else?

If you didn't already play Obj 430 II, you don't have top gun for T-54. In that case, I would recommend saving that free XP for T-54. Grinding 80k XP (20k turret + 60k gun) in stock T-54 will drive you insane.

Just free xp turret, with enhaced susp+ turret+gun the tank is very "playable". T 54 on the other hand is an aneurism risk factor without the turret+gun

Not a bad grind. Save XP for the T54. You want the upgraded gun right away on that otherwise you are handicapping yourself and your team. Think T29 with the 76mm gun.

1 hour ago, KurtaMurta said:

If you didn't already play Obj 430 II, you don't have top gun for T-54. In that case, I would recommend saving that free XP for T-54. Grinding 80k XP (20k turret + 60k gun) in stock T-54 will drive you insane.

54 minutes ago, NoobestNoob said:

Just free xp turret, with enhaced susp+ turret+gun the tank is very "playable". T 54 on the other hand is an aneurism risk factor without the turret+gun

Ok, good to know.

I assume the D10T is the gun to use to grind for the LB-1, not the 122mm or the second 85mm?

yeah. the 122 just doesnt have the dpm to make it work. and while the 85 isn't a bad gun, at tier 8 it kind of is. D10T is workable, and the LB-1 is a pretty decent gun

Iirc the LB-1 got a pen or reload buff a while back, and it was already pretty serviceable on that platform (especially with the top engine) at tier 8.

I haven't touched the T-44 in a while though, but it was definitely my favorite tier 8 for a long time until I got the T49

I need some tips with T-44. I seem to be struggling with it. With T-43 prior to it I did very well, above 3000WN8 and above 60% WR, but with T-44 I can't seem to get even 50% WR. I have tank fully researched and am using the LB-1 but I'm finding the gun extremely derpy unless fully aimed in and even then it feels like you're rolling the dice almost all the time. I'd like to hear some advice on making it work. What do you guys also do in tier 9 and 10 games?

50~ game in so far, and I am really starting to get fond of this tank. (I assume nobody is using 122mm?:kjugh:)

The gun is just middle-of-the-pack, with good fire control, t8 standard alpha and mediocre penetration. AP shell velocity is bad at 880 while the standard is ~1000 (correct me if I'm wrong), so shooting fast movers requires more focus, and gold can help.

As for derpy gun: It can pull off some RU style snapshots, but I don't expect it to be like those laser muskets on 140/62a. It feels absurdly similar to stb-1 on aiming: you have to aim a silver slip of time longer before firing. But IMO it's more of adjusting my own gameplay than accepting the gun is derpy.

Where this tank truly shines is its unrivaled flanking ability in tier (aka do it RU style). The combination of agility, speed, OP RU camo and small silhouette guarantees that you can dictate a engagement, and GTFO when it is too hot. You can afford to be a bit more reckless, probing holes in opponent territory and change your angle of attack in a flash.

Combine this with -7 depr and sidescrape ability and you have a tank that preforms well in every situation.

Tier-to-tier speaking, Pershing have better firepower and dispersion, but it lacks speed and raw hp/t to excel at flanking. It's more of a "Imma abuse this hill and snap every fker I see" kind of tank. Same for STA-1 -- both have superior firepower but lacks in the speed/camo/silhouette department. Neither have enough armor to bounce shit and bully through low-tier fodders too, which is quite important in flanking because 1) it gives you more options 2) brawl FTW and you can handle help defenders better. 

Don't get me wrong: they are both soild performers and arguably the best t8 meds, but t-44 has a different and potentially more impactful playstyle.

I am using vstab/optics/rammer, no ration, only solo, and heavy APCR spam (rip credits). Had a 5k WN8 short session this afternoon, if anyone interested I can provide replays.

t44session.PNG

Edited by RunTheGears08
Add pic

I think my least favorite part of the tank currently is that the T-54 Prot exists. I have both in my garage right now, but I can't bring myself to think about using the T-44 over it. It's undoubtedly faster, but the difference between 150mm and 200mm of frontal armor has so much more impact than the difference between T-44 and Type 59/T-54P mobility. Bring in the T-54P's credit generation and I start to doubt whether or not I should even have the T-44 in my garage.

I'm not even going to say the T-44 is worse overall, but I think a lot of what makes it good is its MM weight. That's not something that makes the tank feel powerful or fun, so I feel comfortable trading that for what the T-54P has to offer. Maybe my opinion will change, but a diehard T-44 fanboy like me not wanting to play the tank is not a good sign.

On 11.10.2016 at 1:42 AM, Rexxie said:

I think my least favorite part of the tank currently is that the T-54 Prot exists. I have both in my garage right now, but I can't bring myself to think about using the T-44 over it. It's undoubtedly faster, but the difference between 150mm and 200mm of frontal armor has so much more impact than the difference between T-44 and Type 59/T-54P mobility. Bring in the T-54P's credit generation and I start to doubt whether or not I should even have the T-44 in my garage.

I'm not even going to say the T-44 is worse overall, but I think a lot of what makes it good is its MM weight. That's not something that makes the tank feel powerful or fun, so I feel comfortable trading that for what the T-54P has to offer. Maybe my opinion will change, but a diehard T-44 fanboy like me not wanting to play the tank is not a good sign.

Death of vision meta perfectly suits the transition from T-44 to T-54 Proto. Ad armor and a bit of ROF, remove mobility and view range. Balance department done it´s job, comrade. 54 Proto even has better camo values. :serb: Just shell the $ for powercreep.

Camo is useless anyway if not god-mode 416 levels (had a few games with it in Paris - oh boy, those streets are so good for camo sniping, but threshold camo to stay unspotted until you fire is about 30% in tier 9-10).

On 11-10-2016 at 1:42 AM, Rexxie said:

ever since T54 proto is in game im on the fence of buying it, i dont need a russian crew trainer, i also dont need premium tanks, and its fkn expensive, yet still...

15 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

ever since T54 proto is in game im on the fence of buying it, i dont need a russian crew trainer, i also dont need premium tanks, and its fkn expensive, yet still...

It was on discount 15%, along with other tier 8 premiums recently.

Wait for Christmas, sure there would be again.

I've been playing this thing with the Komedy Kannon loadout (D-25-44, full gold except for 3 HE, vents, rammer, vert stab, BIA, snap shot, smooth ride, rations) recently, and...it's actually not too bad. Still sad that the reload is longer than the ISU-152's. It is fun to smack people for 400, though, with 217 pen APCR.

19 hours ago, cwjian90 said:

I've been playing this thing with the Komedy Kannon loadout (D-25-44, full gold except for 3 HE, vents, rammer, vert stab, BIA, snap shot, smooth ride, rations) recently, and...it's actually not too bad. Still sad that the reload is longer than the ISU-152's. It is fun to smack people for 400, though, with 217 pen APCR.

T-34-2 for 122, T-44 for 100. 122 is a lot better on Chinese version, better FOR and platform for it.