cullenscout1970

T-44 undervalued

92 posts in this topic

Oh, there's no doubt the 100 mm is better in general. I'm just doing this for the novelty.

I love this tank.  My stats in it aren't spectacular (WR in particular is sucky as all hell after 102 games), but it's just so...vroomy!  Russian meds are, to me, like the outlaw motorcycle gang that rides into town, shoots/drinks/screws everything in sight, then rides back out.  Just cruise around the battlefield shooting everything in sight.

I had this game tonight - made a critical mistake at the end, chasing their scout instead of hunting down their arty, who made a beautiful shot from I-don't-know-where to nail me.  Scout was nearly dead, I should have just let him go and killed arty first, but...live and learn.

TrW6zVK.jpg

On 2016. 10. 21. at 1:41 PM, cwjian90 said:

Oh, there's no doubt the 100 mm is better in general. I'm just doing this for the novelty.

yeah I suppose you can cause a few WTF moments for people who drive out like "eh, imma trade a shot with this T-44, should be fine, low alpha..."

just like how nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition or a 107mm on the KV-2

Okay.. so I'm now back to this grind of Soviet hovermed line, and 3-marked this tank 100 games in.

Sadly, it's dogshit in its current state. I haven't played much since December, and I think my rusty gameplay might've worsen this evaluation. But still, the gun handling is cancer and firepower doesn't stand out by tier 8 standard. dmg hoarding is not an option (especially considering NA West = compete with T10 all day). I couldn't get it to work until I play it like a med/light hybrid.

It's moar fun than t54mod1 tho IMO. Not necessarily better, but the mobility/vision+camo edge gives it extra juice when facing higher tiers. I find t54mod1 lackluster in the credit earning category -- need to spam gold to guarantee pen VS t8 heavy.

One thing good about this tank, it has the versatile package to dominates lower tier battles. ~430 view range + workable armor + light mobility + -7 depr means its not limited by map, just like its big brothers.

Doing much better off the bat with this T-44 than I did with the T-43. I started off with a WN8 of 2600. Then Tier X came along and fucked that up. Stuck at a little over 2000 WN8 and close to a MOE after 50 games. Using the 100mm of course.

With optics/BIA/recon/SA my view range exceeds 445. I don't think food is worth it with this tank but that's just my opinion. Even using apcr I'm making credits.

I like this tank but need to learn certain maps better for meds. Like Fjords, Abbey and Serene Coast. Been playing heavies for too long. I can't find good spots.

After these buffs I might have to take this out for another spin! 

• Decreased dispersion during movement with the T-44 suspension by 20%
  • Decreased dispersion during movement with the T-44M suspension by 22%
  • Decreased dispersion on hull traverse with the T-44 suspension by 20%
  • Decreased dispersion on hull traverse with the T-44M suspension by 22%
  • Changed the reverse speed from 20 km/h to 23 km/h
  • Changed the engine power of the V-54-6 engine from 680 h.p. to 760 h.p.

I'm part-way through grinding it, and the buff to the dispersion is definitely noticeable and it can now snap-shot reasonably well. Overall, it's pretty good for a tier 8 medium, which is generally a class that suffers. It's an all-rounder which helps: decent gun, decent mobility, decent camo, armour that will occasionally troll people. Enjoying it so far and grinding out both the T54 and the Obj 430 should be pretty enjoyable.

7 hours ago, Balthazars said:

I'm part-way through grinding it, and the buff to the dispersion is definitely noticeable and it can now snap-shot reasonably well. Overall, it's pretty good for a tier 8 medium, which is generally a class that suffers. It's an all-rounder which helps: decent gun, decent mobility, decent camo, armour that will occasionally troll people. Enjoying it so far and grinding out both the T54 and the Obj 430 should be pretty enjoyable.

Have you tried it with the 122 yet? The bloom is insane, doesn't seem to change between that and the LB1.

3 hours ago, Purple_Prose said:

Have you tried it with the 122 yet? The bloom is insane, doesn't seem to change between that and the LB1.

No, I only recently unlocked it, but have to admit, not particularly keen on trying to use a 175/217 pen gun in tier 10 games...

9 hours ago, Purple_Prose said:

Seems to make sense. The 44-100 is just better than the 44 with the LB-1 equipped. Still, the 122mm only has -5 gun dep, right?

On 2/12/2018 at 4:42 PM, Balthazars said:

No, I only recently unlocked it, but have to admit, not particularly keen on trying to use a 175/217 pen gun in tier 10 games...

On 2/12/2018 at 11:13 PM, lavawing said:

Seems to make sense. The 44-100 is just better than the 44 with the LB-1 equipped. Still, the 122mm only has -5 gun dep, right?

Yeah, the 122 only has -5. But aside from some slight difference in DPM, you basically turn into an infinitely superior T-34-2. So it unlocks some additional playstyle variety for the tank. And also snapping 122mm shells into tanks from 300 meters is insane.

I definitely agree that the LB1 is superior, but good god the 122 is great for memes, and it even works in Tier X if you use the mobility. 

So 3 years later I'm back in this again with a new crew because 430U reasons.  The mobility and camo mean I can legit scout in it if our LTs potato or late game.  The turret is bouncy enough that I can go hull down 1 v 1 against M46 KR, Mutz, etc. and win pretty consistently.  The really good final accuracy is pretty nice when playing WAY the fuck back on the redline when bottom tier.  This tank actually can flank.  It feels like its a better pershing now, which is pretty high praise.

This tank is like Anakin Skywalker - was pretty good and is now even better but there is a darkness lurking over it.  That darkness is thats its a tier 8 medium living in a tier X world.  There are so many games where I'm in spawn thinking WTF can I do about this?  Tier X games on Windstorm, Karkov, Abby, Sacred Valley etc. are just dice rolls if you can even do anything to contribute.  Its not unique to this tank - all tech-tree tier 8 meds are a struggle - but none of the rest of them lead to the 430U, so I'm stuck with it.

On 26/2/2018 at 0:01 PM, Archaic_One said:

This tank is like Anakin Skywalker - was pretty good and is now even better but there is a darkness lurking over it.  That darkness is thats its a tier 8 medium living in a tier X world.  There are so many games where I'm in spawn thinking WTF can I do about this?  Tier X games on Windstorm, Karkov, Abby, Sacred Valley etc. are just dice rolls if you can even do anything to contribute.  Its not unique to this tank - all tech-tree tier 8 meds are a struggle - but none of the rest of them lead to the 430U, so I'm stuck with it.

What if anything has the high ground :doge:

3 hours ago, Strigonx said:

A 268V4 with full repair + BIA + clutch braking + etc. crew, large repair kit as one of his consumables, and a rock covering one of his sides which he can use to scrape you off.

EDIT: or a 183 (the one with actual front armour) with premium HESH loaded aimed down onto your upper front plate.

18 hours ago, Guardian54 said:

A 268V4 with full repair + BIA + clutch braking + etc. crew, large repair kit as one of his consumables, and a rock covering one of his sides which he can use to scrape you off.

EDIT: or a 183 (the one with actual front armour) with premium HESH loaded aimed down onto your upper front plate.

The joke

You

1 hour ago, Strigonx said:

The joke

*space snipped*

You

My sarcasm appears to not have been understood. "Tier 8s get shat on by Tier 10s, so the Tier 10s have the high ground... and can lol 2 shot or 1 shot you" more succinct for you?

I found the T-44 the best generalist Tier 8 med even before the turret buffs. Now? It's bad cause of 3-5-7 MM and the tier gaps being even bigger than four years ago.

I've had the tank elite for a bit now and continuing to grind through (started it just before they announced changes to the Russian tree, so yay I guess?). I actually find it's quite competitive in tier 10 games for a tier 8 medium because it has no 'bad' areas while also not having any outstanding areas. It has enough pen (both standard and gold) to counter most threats, except of course superheavies from the front, but then it's a medium and really shouldn't be able to engage superheavies higher tier from the front. It's mobile enough to flank. Has a reasonably small profile so can do a bit of camo spotting in bushes. Gun handling is actually pretty darned good. Has a little bit of turret and hull armour (the former enough to troll higher tiers on occasion, the latter enough to troll lower tiers on occasion). I actually don't mind playing it at all, even with the dodgy tier 8 MM.

On 3/2/2018 at 10:23 AM, Strigonx said:

You return to garage and come back as the 430U as you slaughter rebel scum Tier 8s and the enemy Leo 1 gives up and tells you to strike him down.

13 hours ago, Archaic_One said:

An Object 416 in a bush . . . 

416 is fucked by new map changes that favor hill fighting. 

On 3/2/2018 at 10:28 PM, Balthazars said:

I've had the tank elite for a bit now and continuing to grind through (started it just before they announced changes to the Russian tree, so yay I guess?). I actually find it's quite competitive in tier 10 games for a tier 8 medium because it has no 'bad' areas while also not having any outstanding areas. It has enough pen (both standard and gold) to counter most threats, except of course superheavies from the front, but then it's a medium and really shouldn't be able to engage superheavies higher tier from the front. It's mobile enough to flank. Has a reasonably small profile so can do a bit of camo spotting in bushes. Gun handling is actually pretty darned good. Has a little bit of turret and hull armour (the former enough to troll higher tiers on occasion, the latter enough to troll lower tiers on occasion). I actually don't mind playing it at all, even with the dodgy tier 8 MM.

I sold my t-44 after buying the t54, but I still have a t-44-100 in my garage, and I agree with your general take.  The key (IMHO) is having the mobility and camo to avoid having to brawl when not top tier, as well as having the survivability to be able to brawl when you are.  Tier 8 meds, while painful, force the player to do something really valuable (and something I, personally, usually fail at doing) - you have to adapt your playstyle not just to the tank but really to the battle - more so than probably any other tier/class.  This is where a generalist like the t44 enables some tactical adaptation that a tank like e.g. the German tier 8 meds cannot.  The hull armor/camo/mobility give it tricks at both ends (using the hull armor to bully tier 6s, the camo/mobility to evade tier 10s) that give it a leg up over the 'Mercans and Brits, too.

I should probably point out that shortly after making my post above, I ended up going on a 10 game losing streak in my T-44 and dropped from nearly 55% WR to 50% WR. :facepalm:

But yes, I do agree with @Tanager above that being a generalist gives it more options in poor MM situations unlike more one-trick ponies like the Indien, Panther II, Cent I. The Pershing is probably the other 'good' tier 8 medium, and it also happens to be a generalist.

5 hours ago, Balthazars said:

I should probably point out that shortly after making my post above, I ended up going on a 10 game losing streak in my T-44 and dropped from nearly 55% WR to 50% WR. :facepalm:

But yes, I do agree with @Tanager above that being a generalist gives it more options in poor MM situations unlike more one-trick ponies like the Indien, Panther II, Cent I. The Pershing is probably the other 'good' tier 8 medium, and it also happens to be a generalist.

Never praise the tank before the end of the grind. It jinxes them. 

OK bought it back to start my 430U grind. It got a new engine since the last time I played it. My question now. Is the third engine worth it or can I skip it and safe some XP?