Solono

Scouting: Where to Start? by TheMarine0341

70 posts in this topic

Hot damn, talk about great timing!

Pro scout is and has been offline for a few patches now so he's no longer helpful, and my patience with artillery and its supporters is at an end.

So far my only question is are there any more high standard resources like this 1 that I should be aware of?

Thank you TheMarine for the time and effort, hopefully I can put it all to good use quickly, cheers!

I believe Jacg123 was planning on writing more in depth scouting articles, but if you'd like I can certainly try

Gonna read the whole thing in a bit, but there's something I noticed right at the beginning.

Light tanks should not be confused with Scout Tanks in terms of match-making. Light Tanks do NOT see the same match-making that Scout tanks do, as they can only see +2 matchmaking. The British Light Tanks and the French Light Tank AMX 40 are examples of Light Tanks, not Scout Tanks. These tanks will have the additional benefits of standard matchmaking (+2) and will keep their camouflage on the move.

This is actually wrong, many of the non-scout light tanks don't keep their camo on the move, like the AMX 38 & 40 or the low tier Cruiser tanks.

Well if you can afford the time involved I would enjoy reading more of what you have to say. It's very enlightening and I can see the utility of it all.

Now to see about putting it to work which should lead to more questions for you.

Thanks again!

What about designated target as a gunner skill? I found it more handy than snap shot when actually scouting and the vstab is sufficient for most lights imo.

It actually makes me feel better to follow a target i can not shoot thinking "light 2 seconds longer, take this!".

Deadeye is useful with high rate of fire guns or Autoloaders, but being a perk (only works when 100%) theres other skills I would rather have instead. I would train repairs to 100% on the gunner as a 4th, and once 100% and time to retrain, then add Deadeye and restart repairs

What about designated target as a gunner skill? I found it more handy than snap shot when actually scouting and the vstab is sufficient for most lights imo.

It actually makes me feel better to follow a target i can not shoot thinking "light 2 seconds longer, take this!".

Deadeye is useful with high rate of fire guns or Autoloaders, but being a perk (only works when 100%) theres other skills I would rather have instead. I would train repairs to 100% on the gunner as a 4th, and once 100% and time to retrain, then add Deadeye and restart repairs

I meant the other perk thingy spotting targeted enemies an additional 2 seconds.

Nicely done Marine. 

Some scouts I have run double repar kits on and most with small crews i run Lg med kit

Designated target is certainly useful, but I would use it only after BIA, 6th, Camo, and a vision skill. Ive played around with it on some of my mediums, and while it can be useful at times I think the other skills and perks do more. 

Designated target is certainly useful, but I would use it only after BIA, 6th, Camo, and a vision skill. Ive played around with it on some of my mediums, and while it can be useful at times I think the other skills and perks do more. 

Vision skills on a gunner? You've been running the Luchs too much lately :D.

Well anyways, if someone cares my setup is designated target, BiA, camo and snap shot/repairs depending on gun acc.

Woops, was thinking commander :-p

Hot damn, talk about great timing!

Pro scout is and has been offline for a few patches now so he's no longer helpful, and my patience with artillery and its supporters is at an end.

So far my only question is are there any more high standard resources like this 1 that I should be aware of?

Thank you TheMarine for the time and effort, hopefully I can put it all to good use quickly, cheers!

Proscout is written by a shitlord and should be disregarded as a source of reliable information.

As for this guide: it's generally okay but there's one area which is going to receive my unbridled fury.....

"For light tanks with good maneuverability and speed but poor view range or radios, active scouting is superior due to the bonus that designated scouts receive, "

Why are we not debunking the claim that 99.999% of the time radio DOESNT FUCKING MATTER.

Radio is additive: If your radio range is 200m and your allied tank's range is 760m, then you can still communicate with him at 960m, at high tiers when everybody around you has radios of 600m+, it doesn't matter at all. 

We should be busting this myth once and for all, and yet here we are mindlessly repeating it. Why????

PS. Designated target should be used, and E1 and G1 on prokh are TERRIBLE passive scouting locations (if your location has no cover and is vulnerable to an enemy leeroy jenkins, it's a bad one)

PS. Designated target should be used, and E1 and G1 on prokh are TERRIBLE passive scouting locations (if your location has no cover and is vulnerable to an enemy leeroy jenkins, it's a bad one)

EVERY passive scouting location on Prok is a bad one. WG has literally deleted most good passive scouting locations, mainly because they were too stupid to make sure each spawn had one of roughly equal utility. Now it is just drive like a headless chicken and hope artillery rolls at least a 16d20. 

Proscout is written by a shitlord and should be disregarded as a source of reliable information.

As for this guide: it's generally okay but there's one area which is going to receive my unbridled fury.....

"For light tanks with good maneuverability and speed but poor view range or radios, active scouting is superior due to the bonus that designated scouts receive, "

Why are we not debunking the claim that 99.999% of the time radio DOESNT FUCKING MATTER.

Radio is additive: If your radio range is 200m and your allied tank's range is 760m, then you can still communicate with him at 960m, at high tiers when everybody around you has radios of 600m+, it doesn't matter at all. 

We should be busting this myth once and for all, and yet here we are mindlessly repeating it. Why????

Ech, that was an edit suggested that I didnt catch when I approved nor did I catch it in my final edits. If I had paid better attention, I wouldnt have approved that nor submitted. Unless the radio is totally shit, I never pay attention to it. Most of the time the top radio is unlocked anyway so I dont even bother looking at them I just mount them. I do feel strongly about this that I will make an edit request. You're correct here

As far as passive locations go, theres very VERY few passive locations which are really effective anymore. I prefer active scouting on Prok, and unless I get the PERFECT spawn I dont even bother going to those locations. Even if I do, after 1-2 minutes I back out and go active. Unless its Malinovka, I VERY rarely stay passive more than 2 minutes on any map. While that "Pro-Scout" player was "ok" for pointing out locations via maps, never did he explain the mindset behind them and WHY they worked. 

*EDIT*

EchIII, the comment you have an issue with is taken straight from WOTWiki, not my words or someone else so the quote will remain... HOWEVER... Going to yell at Zepherex for allowing that to be in there. He should know better and will hopefully remove that

Tazilon's career WN8 2295, recent 2826 per this site.  Call me a @#$%lord all you want, but I can't understand all the ragging on Tazilon.  He was a damned good player.

Tazilon's last 1000 battles had a WN8 of 2779.  Call me a @#$%lord all you want, but I can't understand all the ragging on Tazilon.

Tazilon's criticism is basically that despite his posturing, he is actually mediocre at LT play, and his advice is also questionable at best, misleading at worst.

Furthermore, his WN8 is grossly misleading, as he is the very definition of an outlier. His WN8, both career and last 1000, is defined by essentially one tank: the VK2801. His WN8, by the standards set forth in the wiki, should be disregarded. Not to mention his 56% WR with 2800 WN8... and this on a tank with 8 crew skills.

Not terrible, just high-risk, with the possibility of similarly high reward. They're fine so long as you know what you're doing and keep your wits about you. Approach in a manner that gives you a gravity credit should you need to abort, etc. Once you're there it's exceedingly difficult to be surprised or killed unless you fail to act in a timely manner.

The VK 2801's expected damage is 520 dmg per battle. To do Super-Uni levels, you need to do about 900 damage. If you'll look at his other tanks, he's... meh. And, with 56% WR overall he's not having that huge of an impact on the game. His BatChat 25t for example has 2k average damage per game and a 49% WR. Thats pretty consistent for all of his 10's as well.

For example, here is ALL of his tier 9/10 tanks, and their WR

9An2vdG.jpg

As you can see, its sorted by tier. He simply doesnt have enough high tier medium tank play to really understand the real vision games and control

Swamp, one of my favorite maps, is a great map for utilizing this concept

This sentence alone brings the validity of the entire article into question.

This sentence alone brings the validity of the entire article into question.

I mean, I didn't say that, but OK.

Swamp can be a very good map for scouts depending on how the teams deploy, not quite sure what you're on about. Get a light to a good spot fast enough and you can shut down huge sectors to the other team. This, for instance, was a Swamp game for an IM I played a week or two ago.

xDVqXaP.jpg

Swamp is one of my favorite maps for Meds and Scouts. How does this invalidate the article? Its clear its my opinion.

EchIII, back to the designated target Perk:

Its certainly useful, but for my own play I value, with a 4 person crew: BIA, 6th, Sit. Awareness, and Camo over Designated Target. Once/If 6th sense is available regardless of crew skills, I would be more willing to revisit this as a replacement for 6th sense. 

Swamp is an absolutely awful map for any sort of aggressive play. Everyone gets vision locked by everyone else, and 2 flanks have chokepoints while the middle is a huge killing field. Scouts don't do fuck all on that map because high tier mediums vision lock each other just as well and no-one moves anyway because they get blapped by TDs and arty as soon as they do.