KFAJ

ST-I Apocalypse Tank Love Thread: Soviet Power Supreme

21 posts in this topic

Over the weekend I decided that it was finally time for me to get a real tier 9 heavy, and so I free XPed to the ST-I, a tank that I have had my eye on for quite a while. Having played 72 games in it so far, I must say that I have fallen in love with this vehicle. It simply has so many good qualities about it, that when driven properly, it can almost always be a game changer. Let's take a look at its pros and cons, shall we?

+Impenetrable turret

+Great depression (-8 )

+Solid firepower

+Fantastic side armor

+Small frontal profile (for a heavy)

+Can bully E 75s like pussy bitches

=Front armor

-Mobility

-Fire control

-DPM

As expected, this tank is an absolute monster on city maps. The front armor can generally withstand standard rounds from T9-10 heavies and mediums, but high tier TD guns seem to punch their way through quite reliably. The lower plate is also somewhat weak, and can be penned by guns with 200+ pen (Not quite sure on this, but I know for sure that T8 heavies can pen it reliably), but fortunately the lower plate is small and quite easy to hide. The two shoulders, however, are angled steeply and reliably deflect shells from even high tier TDs. The sides are quite thick, consisting of 140mm spaced armor + tracks, and when properly angled, are invincible to anything but clickers.

The turret is also ridiculously strong and is, again, virtually impenetrable. There are no overmatch zones visible from the front and the one cupola is also quite heavily armored and well rounded, making it quite resilient to enemy fire, especially at range. Don't even think about going through the turret front or mantlet, as the cheeks are 250mm thick and extremely well rounded. The top turret also provides -8 degrees depression and the tank is tall enough to see over most obstacles but small enough to hide its front plate while doing so, making this tank excellent and both hull down and sidescraping, and practically impenetrable in either position.

The gun is the same 122mm as on the IS-8 and IS-4, with 440 alpha and 258 pen on the standard rounds. The fire control, however, is not great, with an awful 3.4s aim time, iffy .38 accuracy, and lacking ROF of 4.51 (1980 DPM w/ 100% loader). Personally, I snapshot a lot with this gun because I prefer to minimize my exposure, and with the upcoming accuracy nerf in 9.6, I can see this tank taking a slight hit from the changes. That said, when sidescraping or hull down, this tank can take the time it needs to aim in fully, without compromising much survivability.

This tank is also slow as fuck, in true heavy tank fashion. It can actually hit 30 km/h going in a straight line on flat ground, and downhill can hit 42 km/h, but both its hull and turret traverse are atrocious, making it easily out circled by mediums and lights. It even seems to be outrun by most other heavies, including E 75s and IS-4s, and has a hard time getting back to cap in a hurry, especially if that involves traveling uphill. It sometimes has problems getting to the fight on time, but it generally manages, even if it struggles.

Overall, this tank is an absolute bossmobile. Its mobility is terrible, but it can render itself almost immune to enemy fire when positioned correctly, which makes for a wonderful brick tank capable of single-handedly locking down a lane as long as it doesn't get flanked.

Share your love for this tank down below, and feel free to discuss your tactics when playing this tank or playing against this tank.

Turret isnt impenitrable, the right cupola is a place i regularly shoot and pen

In my experience it's a weakspot but not a reliable one. It's really not even a weakspot. It's just a more vulnerable area of the turret.

Turret isnt impenitrable, the right cupola is a place i regularly shoot and pen

^this, but it is small and sometimes a difficult shot if moving back and forth, but still a great tank and love mine, I never even bothered to get the IS-4 even though its researched.

I enjoyed the STI but I like the IS4 more. The STI has a fantastic turret. The IS4 does have a roof overmatch but very few people know about it and even fewer take advantage of it so it has a very good turret as well. Bounced so many E100 shells giving the turret just a bit of angle.

I just started playing the ST-1 a couple of days ago after free-xping everything.  The turret is super strong as advertised and it has the standerd Russian biased side armor.  I was surprised in a Redshire game when a MAHOU E-75 penned my cupola with AP but so far that is the only game where my turret has gotten penned. 

I haven't gotten an ace in it yet (only ~20 games) but I did have a couple 4k+ damage carries.  Top tier this thing can just bossmode everything in front of it. 

My crew is ~97% on its 2nd skill; once they start their 3rd idk if I should drop and get BIA or take misc skills like offroad driving and Armorer (lots of people break my gun with HE).  Right now I just have repairs/6th/safe/gunnery stuff.

What are people running for equipment?  I have rammer/vents/vert stab but I'm considering switching the vents for GLD because of the mega shit aim time.  Interested to see what others are doing.

The only thing that I disliked that is mitigated on the IS-4 is the atrociously bad gun handling. Snap shotting just wouldn't work, and RNG would always guide the shells exactly where I didn't want them to go, even up close. However, it is a beast of a tank and an equal to the E75.

Approaching this glorious piece of Commie steel rapidly (lol KV-4).

I have the BL-9 from the IS-3 luckily. How's the "stock" grind, given that I have that cannon?

I only played a few games with the BL-9 before I decided to free XP the turret and tracks. From what I played, the tank can still sidescrape, and the stock turret seemed ok, but I felt like the tank suffered slightly from mounting the BL-9 on a rather immobile platform.

Is it really as good as the real Apocalypse tank?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9IZVWGD6Xk

I actually had the RA3 Apocalypse tank in mind. Regardless, the ST-I is better because the Apocalypse tank gets damaged by small arms fire while the ST-I can tell JPE shells to fuck off.

Man this thing is so much better than the E-75. The Turret isn't afraid of anything - sure T10 TDs might pen you but they might as well not.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1679322#cliff-teslarerod-st-i

Totally worth it. Held a whole flank pretty much on my own until my team decided to show up after cleaning up the rest of the map.

ST-I for life

When my win rate goes down. I load up this puppy. It doesn't give a shit about getting into tier 10 games.  And at tier 9 its just an executioner. All you need is someone to watch your flanks and let you work.  8 Degrees of Gun Depression is amazing. E75's mean nothing to me. Eat them for breakfast in this monster...

Stalin would be Proud!

When my win rate goes down. I load up this puppy. It doesn't give a shit about getting into tier 10 games.  And at tier 9 its just an executioner. All you need is someone to watch your flanks and let you work.  8 Degrees of Gun Depression is amazing. E75's mean nothing to me. Eat them for breakfast in this monster...

Stalin would be Proud!

Indeed he would. The only thing I don't like about this tank is the poor mobility. If it could move like an E 75 it would be straight up broken.

Indeed he would. The only thing I don't like about this tank is the poor mobility. If it could move like an E 75 it would be straight up broken.

Its Russian Broken Stronk enough.  I will load up it right now in fact...

I will most definitely give a thumbs up to this beast. Jumped in this beast last night for a tier 10 fight, told the IS-7 that I would follow and support his/her efforts. I believe I came out on top with about 3.2K damage and a couple kills. But, I concur, this thing is a beast. Am I crazy for wanting to run this more than my E-75? :thumbup: