arthurwellsley

LT 15

46 posts in this topic

If only they allowed you to DO DAMAGE too (and fulfill all missions that apply at once) I'd have this done like 3 times already (out of 5 games played in it since the IMs came out) with my WZ-132, because 3K damage is quite easy to pull off in that and 1K spotting is similarly easy.

Unfortunately, WG is best when pissing customers off.

Thanks for the advice about Encounter versus Assault. I might decide to test it if I get angry enough to change from my Combat Scout setup to optics instead of vents... or alternatively just drive my T71 which has optics on it already. o7 see ya guys in-game.

thanks!

that is a new bush to me.  typically, I'd knock over the tree just ahead of that bush and sit on the ridge...i didn't know you coudl spot from there

do you recommend turning on encounter for LT-15?

I do. Many encounter maps provide you some very nice spotting locations.

I do. Many encounter maps provide you some very nice spotting locations.

Earlier in the thread, someone suggested turning encounter off.  Is the prok encounter as good for scouting as prok standard?  If so, it seems like a no brainer to keep it on, if only to increase the chance to drop for these two maps. 

I suggest platooning with 2 fairly competent arty players who you can communicate with.  They tell you when you're loaded, you spot, profit. 

I got mine on Cliff in the 13-90. I was North spawn, made it to the top of the hill. 

Fluck missions, but because of that mission instead of trying to assult and damage tanks I lit them. Arty ended up killing 4 tanks I spotted for about 5k spotting. Ended up with that and like 200 damage, when I could have gotten probably close to 2k damage and 3 kills, but I digress.

Mishuns are turribol fer gaympley

You could get it in a souped up Locust, if there was a larger HP pool in that tier.

You could get it in a souped up Locust, if there was a larger HP pool in that tier.

...and if tier 3 tanks were allowable.  min is tier 4 for the stug.  

...and if tier 3 tanks were allowable.  min is tier 4 for the stug.  

RIP I meant Luchs

Locust doesnt have nearly good enough view-range to get the job done.

Earlier in the thread, someone suggested turning encounter off.  Is the prok encounter as good for scouting as prok standard?  If so, it seems like a no brainer to keep it on, if only to increase the chance to drop for these two maps. 

Prok encounter is clearly worse than normal at least in EU server. Teams tends to go more cap side (east) than usual when its encounter, which removes lot of potential damage from juicy west side forest spots and also active middle spots have less potential.

But still, prohkorova encouter is lot better than majority of other maps.

Always depends on the enemy ^^ Prok in encounter and normal mode is plays pretty similar for scouts. Biggest advantage is that you get one more prok in the circle :P

Anyway you get also other good scout maps aka Redshire and Sand River.

The problem with leaving encounter on is that along with an extra Prok and Malinovka in the rotation, it also gives you two Himmelsdorfs, two Ruinbergs, and an Ensk.

That's why they say your best bet to optimize rotations for the LT missions is Assault on, Encounter off.

The problem with leaving encounter on is that along with an extra Prok and Malinovka in the rotation, it also gives you two Himmelsdorfs, two Ruinbergs, and an Ensk.

That's why they say your best bet to optimize rotations for the LT missions is Assault on, Encounter off.

If 75% of STD maps were good for the mission, then adding a mode for which 50% were good would be a mistake.

However, it seems like people keep naming the same 3-4 STD maps, so that make the percentage closer to 10% of STD maps.  Even if only for Prok and Mali, adding a mode with 25% good maps sounds like a no brainer.  

Am I missing something?

If 75% of STD maps were good for the mission, then adding a mode for which 50% were good would be a mistake.

However, it seems like people keep naming the same 3-4 STD maps, so that make the percentage closer to 10% of STD maps. Even if only for Prok and Mali, adding a mode with 25% good maps sounds like a no brainer.

Am I missing something?

It stems from two basic assumptions:
  • The modes appear at an average ratio of 50:25:25 Standard:Assault:Encounter (or 67:33 when only two modes are enabled)
  • All eligible maps have roughly the same chance to appear in a given mode
There are 33 "normal" maps. Of those, I'd consider 12 (Abbey, Ensk, Himmels, Pearl River, Winterberg, South Coast, Tundra, Arctic Region, Kharkov, Sacred Valley, Windstorm, Winter Himmelsdorf) "poor" for scouting, along with another 9 (Fjords, Karelia, Mines, Mountain Pass, Murovanka, Northwest, Siegfried Line, Airfield, El Halluf) that are "situational," for an overall chance of roughly 37% that you will get a "good" scout map in a Normal battle.

Only four maps have an assault mode: Erlenberg, Karelia, Sand River, and Siegfried Line. Of those, the first three are very good for scouting, with Siegfried being viable situationally, for an overall chance of 75% that you will get a "good" scout map on Assault.

Seventeen maps have an encounter mode. Of those, six (Ensk, Winter/Regular Himmels, Winter/Regular Ruinberg & Sacred Valley) are what I'd consider "poor" scouting maps, and four (El Halluf, Mines, Murovanka & Siegfried Line) are situational depending on team comp and deployment, for an overall chance of 41% that you will get a "good" scout map on encounter.

So from those initial assumptions and the map rotations, I would expect "good" scout maps to appear at the following rates:

• All Modes Enabled: (37% * 50%) + (75% * 25%) + (41% * 25%) = 47.5%
  • Normal + Assault: (37% * 67%) + (75% * 33%) = 49.5%
  • Normal + Encounter: (37% * 67%) + (41% * 33%) = 38.32%
Now your numbers and ratings may differ from mine based on your relative comfort level with scouting, but based on my map knowledge and role familiarity, statistically speaking it makes the most sense to play with encounter OFF and Assault ON if I'm trying to do scout missions.

I did mine on Westfield. Pushed north side to A3. Ran the diagonal to C1 and set up in D1. All the campers at the top of the hill by the bridge were able to hit their camper in the high field. Since I knew I was going to passive a lot, I removed the Gun Rammer from my WZ-132 and put binocs in its place. When they were active, I had more than max spotting allowing me to see across the valley and down towards their base. A I kept a T54 and T54E1 on the other hill side lite while they were burned down by the bridge campers. Next, an 183 popped up climbing the hill from their cap and arty nuked him. I progressed towards their base, lighting their three arty and they got burned down. I was pretty sure I had the 4K+ there, but I wanted to make sure so I climbed the hill on their side so I could lite some more. An AFK waffle was at the top of the hill. I lit it, resisted the temptation to shoot, and watched him get nuked as well. In the end, I had 7800+ spotting. It took me about 100 games of rotating light games to get it. I had several 3950+ games thrown in there. Was not expecting to get it on Westfield and almost yoloderped to move on in frustration but stuck with it and was rewarded.

So I just got a 4k spotting game...in my fucking WZ-111.

I was just trying to grind credits, because prem tank, and then 4k spotting on Mines of all maps.

Why can't things like that happen in my light tanks instead?

I finished LT-15.1 on Airfield (standard) with a combined damage/assisted damage of 4800 by de-tracking as much as possible, using the 90mm on my T49 since I hadn't unlocked the 152mm yet. My crew was still training camo, had no sixth sense, and a bad decision on my part put me at 129hp for pretty much the entire game. I had a lot of good players on my team who were able to put out all the damage on those I de-tracked. I think some of the damage was from spots but most of it was from shooting tracks. I was surprised at finishing the mission as that wasn't my intent going into the game, but focusing on shooting tracks with a 90mm gun that shoots only HE seems to work well.

Here's the replay: http://wotreplays.com/site/2577728#airfield-raeth-t49

Hey, I'm wondering if someone is still struggling with this mission..

I need 7k spot + damage combined and trying to do it in tier IX lights, Is it better to pimp the tank purely with view range stuff (bino, optics, possibly vents) or should I aim more for damage (rammer, vstabs)? 

Is it harder for mediocre noob like me to get this amount in spots or damage? My max are usually around 5-6k combined.  

Appreciate that mission completion is much more map and team dependent (both friendly/enemy) than on your tactical tank/equipment choices and that those conditions/opportunities do not appear regularly.  In fact they appear rarely and you need to be in a position to take advantage of them when they arise.  It will take an ebbing and flowing combination of passive and active spotting supported by combat.   

FWIW, check out wotlabs and wotreplays for replays (and packs) that show successful completions of the particular missions you are working on and review them prior to your session to get your head oriented and watch the map rotations for the hard core vision maps and spam games.

For LT missions, my equipment config was the standard vstab, rammer, optics (or vents for rammer on autoloaders).

EU1 rotation right now is Pilsen, Himmels, Kharkov, Paris... So yea, mission is luck. All maps are now Maus maps. :(

I played some more games: Cliff, Stalingrad, Lakeville, Airfield... a bit better maps, but still... fml. All I need now is one Ensk and I'm done for today. :D

Aaaaand it's not Ensk, it's Sacred Valley, I forgot about that one. GGWP Wargaming, you managed to tilt me.