eduardo69

Crossing the final gap

Question

Hi guys! Let me start saying you that Im a terribad player, 8k battles, made my mistakes and just reached a recent green WN8, I dont play as much as Id like because I have a very demanding job. 

Ive been improving thanks to this forum and my special mention to Agamemneon who is my personal Yoda Master with his valuable advice my gameplay is getting decent until now.

I love heavys, I consider myself a decent player at tier VII and VIII specially with my T29 and IS-3. (Actually my only tier IX is the M103 since I want to get the T110E5).

I have only one tier X the IS-7.

this last tier is where  my real problem starts. When I play tier VIII or IX battles I can do well to my own standards, but every time I ride my IS-7  I got myself in crazy situations when Im useless to my team and I get raped sooo fast.

Im not helpful to my teams almost every battle.

What would you suggest me to do?

1. Just keep playing more and more tier 8 and 9 battles till I improve?

2. eat the defeat at tier X and keep on it till I learn "The hard way"

3. is it just a mater of keep playing?

Tier X is a very different sauce, help me to digest it.

Thanks for your advice

5 answers to this question

Tier 10 is a different beast. The balance is very different. I honestly feel more comfortable in a tier 9 like the WZ-120 or the T30 in a tier 10 match than I do in actual tier 10's. Maintaining performance at tier 10, for me, has always been about playing it as much as possible, over and over, until I get my feel for them back to peak. Right now, I'm under-performing badly in tier 10; I spent too much time not playing it.

What initially got me to a decent level in 10's was just playing nothing but, over and over, day after day, until I got in to a rhythm with the tanks I was playing, and a reactionary mindset to the changing situations in a match. What I mean by reactionary, is every match, I would watch how it was developing and immediately have an idea of how to capitalize on it, whether it was turning in to a loss or win. This isn't something I'm able to maintain without continually playing tier 10's, and it shows when I take a break from them.

My advice, because it's what works for me, is to play 10's as much as you can afford to, in order to get a feel for how it works. Watch better players in your matches and see where they go initially, try to figure out why. Read the terrain better; an IS-7 especially can use tiny terrain features to go hull down and become a serious problem for a flank. On matches where you over commit and die early, watch the replays until you see the point at which you went too far, and how to read the situation to avoid it in the future.

Spamming battles is important, but it's not the only facet of learning; you have to understand why certain things do or don't work. Reviewing your own replays is an excellent way to do that. If you seem to be hitting a roadblock with this process (it's not a quick fix, it takes time), then upload some replays of matches you feel you could have saved but don't know how, or matches where you died too early and shouldn't have, but can't clearly identify why you ended up in that situation. There's plenty of people in the Tape Study section that would be willing to watch them and give you some feedback.

Ask Mike Tyson to beat you up two hours a day, did you become world heavyweight champion? Yeah, that's why you're not learning your IS7 by playing it continously.

It's far better to play a few battles and analyze those for your mistakes (send them in for review), pick on one mistake to work on, and remove that flaw from your playstyle.

Of course, it'd be far more effective to do this in a lower tier like T7 or 8 before going to T10. T7 and 8 are far more forgiving than T10 because T10 requires you to be responsible for the fate of the team.

Kewei wrote something quite relevant a while ago:

http://wotlabs.net/articles/getting-better-world-tanks-brutal-simple-timely-way/

And this is Garbad's response:
http://wotlabs.net/articles/getting-better-internet-tanks-cuddly-complex-enduring-way/

They're two different approaches, so there appears to be no definite right/wrong. I suggest you simply read both and try to figure out what you've been doing wrong. :)

Ask Mike Tyson to beat you up two hours a day, did you become world heavyweight champion? Yeah, that's why you're not learning your IS7 by playing it continously.

It's far better to play a few battles and analyze those for your mistakes (send them in for review), pick on one mistake to work on, and remove that flaw from your playstyle.

Of course, it'd be far more effective to do this in a lower tier like T7 or 8 before going to T10. T7 and 8 are far more forgiving than T10 because T10 requires you to be responsible for the fate of the team.

I don't disagree with this necessarily, but I don't think you need to analyze your play every game to learn how to play tier 10. My first tier 10, the After-nerf M48, was not and easy learning curve, and as you can tell, it took me many games just to get the mediocre stats I have now. However, my M48 was in at least 50 CW fights and I figured out its strengths and weaknesses, and realized that at tier 10, anything and everything can decide your fate.

After learning the M48, I moved onto the T57 and T110E5, and have one of the highest average damages in the E5 (Even though the winrate is awful compared to what I want it to be at), and a really decent average damage in the T57 for it being my first tier 10 auto-loader; and those were only my second and third tanks. Fast-forward a year, and I have some of the highest average damages in my tier 10s, and even though the winrate isn't what it should be, it still shows that I can play my tier 10s better than most of the people on the server. 

So in the end (And a TL;DR for a few), beating your head against the wall of a learning curve that is tier 10 isn't that bad, and after a few hundred games I learned how to be one of the top players (Even though some may disagree) in my 10s.

TBH, I'm not sure anyone has been mentored/coached/taught/carried into being great.  Every supercum I know of figured out their own method, constantly improved, and can win no matter what.  My method is one of the most unique.  But every supercum pays the iron price in their own way.  I don't think its possible to do otherwise.