sgtshultz

The M103

427 posts in this topic

Hello all,

i found one article posted on some tips to play the 103 and i also saw that Kewei has some replays up. Are there any instructional videos for this tank to play as support since i can no longer hull down and be close to invulnerable? Also how do i download and play old wot games if they are older than 9.5, when i try it says file will not work. So i apologize now for this post if it is repetive but i found nothing in the searches. If you can help an old noob out and show me the tools i need to watch older replays i would be most grateful.

Update: about 4 pages in i found another 103 thread, but still looking for more in depth write ups if you know them please let me know.

thanks

thank you LJ i appreciate that.

also that digging i found more stuff i the m103, just had to look a lil better.

I can't count the number of times I've penned the top of the 103's turret in my E75, it's pretty crazy.

That said, the hull is pretty good as long as they hit the upper plate. Since the gun has a good aiming time, between reloads raise the gun barrel up to block shots at your cupola and wiggle the turret slightly. 

I like my M103, really comfortable gun handling but the armor is something you should never rely on, ever. It's not a frontline assaulting tank, but if you need to fill the roll, you can. Just don't rely on your armor. 

But against tier 8's and 7's, you can be aggressive and be successful, 9's and 10's won't have trouble smacking you down to an inch from death though.

Care to link them, please?  I play my 103 much worse than I should...

that is what i found. As people responded to his original post they gave links and videos of people playing the 103. If the link is bad (should not be) it was on roughly page 3 or 4 in the american section. From what i have read being support when in tier 9/10 matches is the best way to go. If you are top dog however, play with controlled aggression.  Hope this helps.  

I can't count the number of times I've penned the top of the 103's turret in my E75, it's pretty crazy.

That said, the hull is pretty good as long as they hit the upper plate. Since the gun has a good aiming time, between reloads raise the gun barrel up to block shots at your cupola and wiggle the turret slightly. 

I like my M103, really comfortable gun handling but the armor is something you should never rely on, ever. It's not a frontline assaulting tank, but if you need to fill the roll, you can. Just don't rely on your armor. 

But against tier 8's and 7's, you can be aggressive and be successful, 9's and 10's won't have trouble smacking you down to an inch from death though.

Luckily the one thing i have seen in these forums is honest people like your self and others who give me both pros and cons to this tank, which is what i prefer so i thank you for this.

the M103 is terrible. that is all

As i said to RC i thank you for your honesty about this tank. Luckily for me i also have the Tiger two fully researched and half way exp to the e75 just in case i do not mesh with the 103. I am trying to see if i can over come my noobness and learn how to play the 103 or go with the e75 that is more forgiving of mistakes with its armor.

the problem with the M103 is that its turret is huge and unreliable as fuck, you get penned through the hatch, and if you wiggle it you can just as easily get penned through the cheeks. the front hull is also unreliable, it cannot sidescrape very well because it has low side armour, and its a giant arty magnet, mostly because of the huge turret with no armour. 

as for the gun, the gun is good - when it gets in to a position where it can use it, but the mobility is just ehh. its too sluggish, doesnt traverse well, and just, ugh.

the problem with the M103 is that its turret is huge and unreliable as fuck, you get penned through the hatch, and if you wiggle it you can just as easily get penned through the cheeks. the front hull is also unreliable, it cannot sidescrape very well because it has low side armour, and its a giant arty magnet, mostly because of the huge turret with no armour.

as for the gun, the gun is good - when it gets in to a position where it can use it, but the mobility is just ehh. its too sluggish, doesnt traverse well, and just, ugh.

M103 is terrible? Are you kidding me?

The turret is unreliable and relies on angles. No doubt that it doesn't hold a candle to the ST-I or the E 75s' but juking with WASD will bounce a surprising number of shots while you keep your turret pointed directly at the enemy. This is very true when your engagement is beyond 100 m, which is probably the range you should play with your M103.

The gun is fantastic. You have superb gun handling for a heavy and your DPM lets your trade two shots for one against an E 75. Against tier 8s, you shit on them with your armour when angled around 25 degrees or so, making even the lower hull around 200 effective when weakest. And have you seen the troll angles on the lower hull too?

Low side armour doesn't really matter when you're sidescraping at a 70 degree angle or more since the tracks are huge and will soak up a ridiculous amount of shots. The only issue is getting penned in the turret cheeks when doing so, so I would only side scrape against lower tier heavies with less alpha.

The mobility is fair for a heavy and the traverse at 28 is fine.

There's a reason why Kewei loves the thing. It outputs damage like no other and actually has workable armour. You kill things way before they kill you with that combination of good frontal armour and amazing gun. I would take an M103 for solopubbing any day as opposed to a Conqueror.

M103 is okay.

The gun and gun depression enables you to play well and take some shots that you wouldn't be able to in other tier 9 tanks.

Yes the dpm, gun handling and the depression is nice. However the big question is does it worth trading for?

M103's armor is quite useless after the nerf, everything pens the roof, cupola or some random ass shots pens the little areas on the face of the turret with low armor values.

The hull is complete crap and wont bounce off tier 8s reliably unless you are moving. 

Cant really sidescrape because of the design on the hull and weak sides.

Cant really hull down because of the tumor we call the turret.

On the other hand the E75 gets a tier 10 armor (250mm all around with good angling with really small weak spot, you can achieve more armor by baiting shots.)

More alpha and apcr gold ammo.

It should be noted that the dpm difference is not major at all. I believe it was around 200-300?

M103 is like a slow ass medium tank with some armor and cant really bully anything unlike E75, which is what a heavy tank should be able to do especially when it is a top tier.

If we talk about the stats

E75 77% win rate, 2.8k dpg, 1.7k blocked (134 battles)

M103 65% win rate, 2.6k dpg, 970 blocked (113 battles)

As you can see, being able to tank more damage and bully your enemies and collapsing their flank with your insane armor is success.

Since m103 cant really do that and has to look around for alternative options, it is just okay.

that is what i found. As people responded to his original post they gave links and videos of people playing the 103. If the link is bad (should not be) it was on roughly page 3 or 4 in the american section. From what i have read being support when in tier 9/10 matches is the best way to go. If you are top dog however, play with controlled aggression.  Hope this helps.  

Thanks!

M103 is terrible? Are you kidding me?

The turret is unreliable and relies on angles. No doubt that it doesn't hold a candle to the ST-I or the E 75s' but juking with WASD will bounce a surprising number of shots while you keep your turret pointed directly at the enemy. This is very true when your engagement is beyond 100 m, which is probably the range you should play with your M103.

The gun is fantastic. You have superb gun handling for a heavy and your DPM lets your trade two shots for one against an E 75. Against tier 8s, you shit on them with your armour when angled around 25 degrees or so, making even the lower hull around 200 effective when weakest. And have you seen the troll angles on the lower hull too?

Low side armour doesn't really matter when you're sidescraping at a 70 degree angle or more since the tracks are huge and will soak up a ridiculous amount of shots. The only issue is getting penned in the turret cheeks when doing so, so I would only side scrape against lower tier heavies with less alpha.

The mobility is fair for a heavy and the traverse at 28 is fine.

There's a reason why Kewei loves the thing. It outputs damage like no other and actually has workable armour. You kill things way before they kill you with that combination of good frontal armour and amazing gun. I would take an M103 for solopubbing any day as opposed to a Conqueror.

Food for thought.  I'll keep these things in mind driving it in the future, thanks prolix!

Also, for sgtschulz - For me, the US heavies require an extended time playing them before I get good at them.  I moved up to the T32, leaving my T29 on a losing record with poor WN8 for the tank as well.  After picking up the M103, I went back and grabbed the T29 to fix it's win rate.  Even with a brand new crew for it (though I do have the T34 for a trainer), it has been like night and day.  It is now a lot rarer that I have a poor game in my T29, win or lose - and I've been doing a lot more winning.  I have my M103 fully upgraded now, and with my premier US heavy crew, but my w/r is toilet level.  Post flush toilet level.

I left my T32 in similar condition as my T29.  Thinking about picking it back up again.

I'm really enjoying the M103, though I've only had it for a few battles. Thus far, I find it suits my playstyle much better than the T32 did. 

It allows me to stay mobile, something I always tried to do but got punished for- because T32 hull soft and speed bad. So I would try to stay put, but was never good at hull down, I always felt antsy-  like I wanted to be on other parts of the map, but my slowness and softness kept me in place. So I just camped and derped it out like a gay spartan. The 103 allows me to be "in the right place at the right time." And it brings a pretty punishing gun to the fight once I get there.

I free XP'ed the gun, which was expensive as shit but totally worth it. It meant I could contribute from game 1- in which I did 2.3k damage, and kinda had to pee. But that gun is easily the best gun I've played so far. It lets you take down nearly anything, as long as you're with battle buddies. Being alone in this thing is harrowing, though. Still, a little wiggling and that 9.5 reload time is crucial, and results in some surprising ends to YOLOers if they're not working in concert against you. 

I'm not sure, but I feel like this is the tank that will pull me out of the toilet, get me used to Tier X play and pad my shit-stats, which I'm calling "shats" until i get them higher.

I really enjoyed the M103 It was never a grind even going back to back games to unlock the T110E5 in time for christmas discounts. I have a harder time with the T110E5 than I ever had with the M103 to be honest... I am soooo silly.

Nooooo...solid mobility and a fantastic gun.

Nooooo...solid mobility and a fantastic gun.

but no armour, huge, no camo, and its less mobile than the E75. (which I have played and it actually is)

but no armour, huge, no camo, and its less mobile than the E75. (which I have played and it actually is)

I've got both, and the E 75 maybe turns faster. My computer is dead so I haven't played in months, but from what I remember the M103 is overall more mobile.

I grant that the M103's armor is trash, however.

I've got both, and the E 75 maybe turns faster. My computer is dead so I haven't played in months, but from what I remember the M103 is overall more mobile.

I grant that the M103's armor is trash, however.

e75 is more mobile except when climbing hills

i didnt mind the m103 but i sold it since i got the e50 and e75,which are both better imo

Hated it on test. Skipped like a wallet warrior. No shame.

I wouldn't say it's terrible, in as much as it's freaking fantastic.

Anyhow, I don't have any guide but one piece of guidance: it's an opportunist. Gun is great, armor not so much. Use everything and everyone as cover. I've tons of good 103 replays that could help you on wotreplays (link in sig) - I drive the damn thing almost continuously.

Anyhow, I don't have any guide but one piece of guidance: it's an opportunist. Gun is great, armor not so much. Use everything and everyone as cover. I've tons of good 103 replays that could help you on wotreplays (link in sig) - I drive the damn thing almost continuously.

Fair warning, Juhaas has a very weird taste in tanks  :tongue:

But he drives the M103 pretty damned well. :D

Watched some of the replays. Nice driving but would love to see a replay pack including bad games as well if you feel like putting one together.

thanks for the replays. I went and ground out the e100 first, soon after i get its top gun , i will be grinding to the E5 so the replays and everything on the 103 which i assume will play like the E5 will be great

103 which i assume will play like the E5 will be great

Not even close. E5 is much more comfortable. 

Fair warning, I only played the M103 with the first 120.

Not even close. E5 is much more comfortable.

Fair warning, I only played the M103 with the first 120.

The top gun actually makes a huge difference.