sgtshultz

The M103

427 posts in this topic

Holy crap I am so glad I read this thread. I got to the M58 in two nights. Before I read this there was so little difference in the guns stats I would never have bought it.

I went from struggling to deal my HP in damage every game, and often failing to do so; to 8 straight games of 3k+ with ease. This gun is nothing short of amazing. I yolo like a retard and die in two minutes with 5k damage.

If you see me on your team in my M103, I just want to apologize in advance.

(I have more than enough free xp for top turret + M58 - from reading up, it sounds like I need to take the plunge.  Maybe I can stop apologizing so much then.)

seeing some poor sucker in a stock M103 with the 105mm gun is almost as sad as a Conqueror with the 20-pdr

So didn't manage to powergrind this fully during the 2x wins weekend because got vomity but I just wish WG would buff it a little by removing the turret weakspots so I can actually have near fully reliable armour sometimes rather than mediocre armour all of the time, love the M58 gun though.

1 hour ago, RGM79GM said:

So didn't manage to powergrind this fully during the 2x wins weekend because got vomity but I just wish WG would buff it a little by removing the turret weakspots so I can actually have near fully reliable armour sometimes rather than mediocre armour all of the time, love the M58 gun though.

M103 was never about armor anyway, so NO. And removing that roof weakspot would just create more problems, like making Conqueror irrelevant.

IF it needs any buffs, than it should get better gun handling. But honestly, it's a fine tank right now. It went through some major changes in the last year. First HD model was crap, but the second one gave it the best armor it ever had. UFP is now relevant, and it was always (a year ago) butter, turret cheeks are 300-340mm in the face and autobounce further to the sides.

Competition is tough at tier 9, but M103 was never better. And less arti helps it a lot. :doge2:

6 hours ago, Bobi_Kreeg said:

M103 was never about armor anyway, so NO. And removing that roof weakspot would just create more problems, like making Conqueror irrelevant.

IF it needs any buffs, than it should get better gun handling. But honestly, it's a fine tank right now. It went through some major changes in the last year. First HD model was crap, but the second one gave it the best armor it ever had. UFP is now relevant, and it was always (a year ago) butter, turret cheeks are 300-340mm in the face and autobounce further to the sides.

Competition is tough at tier 9, but M103 was never better. And less arti helps it a lot. :doge2:

The M58 is amazeballs, compared to the guns that come before it.  With the upgraded turret and the M58, it's an entirely different tank.  Being able to mount those w/o upgrading the tracks...priceless.  The best comparison I can think of to this tank is the ST-I, and coming from that one, the gun handling on this soooo much better.  Turret perhaps less impenetrable, but it bounces plenty nonetheless, and it's much more maneuverable.  (Don't get me wrong, I loved the ST-I by the end of the grind, but I'm really feeling the M103 with the better gun/turret).

Tier 9 is such a brutal tier for heavy tanks, right now they are all so good if you buff any of them you risk making them equal to tier Xs.

On 2017-6-5 at 5:34 PM, Archaic_One said:

Tier 9 is such a brutal tier for heavy tanks, right now they are all so good if you buff any of them you risk making them equal to tier Xs.

Is having them on a similarish power level so bad though? The M103 with a buffed turret top still wouldn't be quite as good as the E5 and it'd have less hp and dpm. I guess liked how in the little of AW balance 2.0 I tried you could take on a tier 10 in a tier 9 or even 8 fairly evenly due to equal alpha, good enough pen and similar hp kinda wish WoT had scaling like that.

Well you can, thats the thing.  The T10, the 111-111-111-14, the Conq, E75 - they can all not only hold up in tier X, they can flat win against tier Xs.  If you buff them very much they would be OP at tier 9 MM.  There is just not much room between the M103 and the E5 now.  Remember, the M103 still sees comets and T43s, the lowest tier tanks the E5 sees are defenders and Scorp G.

The M103 already has a smaller weakspot than the E5, esp when using gundep. A turret roof buff would make it much more consistent - but might even make it a flat out better tank than the E5 tier for tier.

So, I sorted my replays according to damage dealt, and got this:

l4SlJS6.png

Interesting.

Did M103 got a turret armor buff? I just got raped by one in my wz 1-4, because i couldn't pen his turret cheeks with HEAT. I remember, back in the day i was driving M103, i got penned through turret cheeks easily. 

Or i just had multiple low pen rolls in a row?

44 minutes ago, 3MAJ86 said:

Did M103 got a turret armor buff? I just got raped by one in my wz 1-4, because i couldn't pen his turret cheeks with HEAT. I remember, back in the day i was driving M103, i got penned through turret cheeks easily. 

Few patches ago, it's not IS-7 but it's better. 

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/06/24/9-15-1-vs-9-15-m103-armor-changes/

i missed that one. Thanks!

Why bother with turret cheeks anyway? Overmatch his roof with AP. 

2 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

People tend to bother. Bouncing AP form E4 is glorious :D 

I have to find replay :D 

1 hour ago, MacusFlash said:

We were facehugging, i couldn't. 

Playing the M103 on a friend's account, it's been treating me pretty good so far. The top gun is worth the 60k xp, and given that you need the gun to research the E5 it's a no-brainer. I've had success by bullying lower tiers and doing my best to deny engagements with tanks I don't want to fight, although it's not always easy given the corridor maps. 340 pen HEAT is pretty nice, given that the only tanks I feel the need to load it for are German boxes or Japanese bunkers, which give a new meaning to the word "flat". The dpm is decent and I'm consistently surprised by how comfortable the gun is. 

11 hours ago, 3MAJ86 said:

Cheeks are no longer a weakspot.. but you could've just clicked the hull and pen. WZ is low enough to the ground to hit the top portion of the UFP at facehug, which is autopen for 340 HEAT.

Yes, and probably even a turret ring :) . But never occurred to me during the engagement really. I was just pissed off, like, wtf, i can't pen the cheeks with HEAT, and this guy is autopenning me with AP... 

I learned the hard way i guess

UZR9SBG.jpg

:serb:

2nd game was 5.5k, and 3rd only 2k. Marks ~92%, tomorrow is a try hard :D 

On 2017. 07. 23. at 11:30 PM, Hally said:

Cheeks are no longer a weakspot.. but you could've just clicked the hull and pen. WZ is low enough to the ground to hit the top portion of the UFP at facehug, which is autopen for 340 HEAT.

Once I had an Obj 268 just round the corner and yolo snapshot my turret cheek, somehow it penned. I was pretty salty afterwards.

On 2017. 07. 23. at 6:18 PM, FavreFan4ever said:

Playing the M103 on a friend's account, it's been treating me pretty good so far. The top gun is worth the 60k xp, and given that you need the gun to research the E5 it's a no-brainer. I've had success by bullying lower tiers and doing my best to deny engagements with tanks I don't want to fight, although it's not always easy given the corridor maps. 340 pen HEAT is pretty nice, given that the only tanks I feel the need to load it for are German boxes or Japanese bunkers, which give a new meaning to the word "flat". The dpm is decent and I'm consistently surprised by how comfortable the gun is. 

Yeah the E5 will be even better :D

The cheeks resist 340 heat just fine.. but it really doesn't cut it vs 268/JPE heat. The penetration difference is pretty big.

7 minutes ago, Hally said:

The cheeks resist 340 heat just fine.. but it really doesn't cut it vs 268/JPE heat. The penetration difference is pretty big.

IIRC the guy was firing AP and landed a lucky shot somehow (hence the salt), but I don't recall now as I don't have the replay.

How is this tank after they've mucked with the model yet again? It's been years since I played it, but aside from poor ammo count it seems decent. Like a Conqueror minus the poor hull...