Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sgt. Pepper

Convince me to go down the U.S. heavy comfort line

32 posts in this topic

So, after playing the Mammoth like it's gone out of style (very irony, much wow) I have a 2 1/2 skill crew. I had no initiative to go down this line until I got the crew, choosing the E-100 line over it. I haven't even researched the low tier trash that leads up to the T1 Heavy (plsno M3 Lees). I'm aware of their strengths but the T1 and M6 and everything below it just aren't reliable. Final verdicts anyone?

I hated the T1, I'll agree with you on that.

The M6 is anything but unreliable. Mine is awesome, plays almost like a T20, a tier lower, with less hit points and less agility.

After that, the T29 is legendary, the king of tier VII.

After tier VII, the U.S. heavy line falls short in the alpha department, all of the U.S. heavy tanks in the comfort line tanks are older than many of the other lines.

The T32 is a tactician's tank, the T5E1 105MM is not so great at tier VIII as it was at tier VII, against tier IX and tier X, you struggle to penetrate, and the alpha is wanting. But the turret, low profile, and decent agility help offset the 105MM.

The M103, for me anyway, is just okay, it's a decent tank. My stats in it, by the way, are not in the M103, I have less than 100 games in the M103, those stats are for the old T34, during the grind to the 120MM and the better turret. Possibly the most horrific grind in WoT until they replaced the T34 with the M103 and made the T34 a premium (a very handicapped premium). I'm actually around 51-52% in the M103.

All that being said, I like the U.S. heavy line. I'm not nearly as happy with the M103 and T110E5 as we were lead to believe we'd be, I don't think the 120MM is anywhere near what we were told it would be. There was a time when 400 or so alpha was pretty stout. Now it's just meh. So the 120MM isn't the monster we were hoping for.

The T110E5 is a solid, decent tank. It is a jack of all trades, mostly, and definitely a master of none. I struggle in the T110E5, it just doesn't fit my play style, either as a heavy or as a big medium. And I'm still really just getting around to really working on my tier IX and tier X skills, I'm decent at tier VIII, not so good above that. I am convinced my play style is very gun dependent, which is a bad thing, since it leaves me less able to deal with bad situations.

Too many gems in the line for you to miss:

T1 Heavy - Good acceleration and reasonably mobile for a heavy, very good DPM, packs 58 tons of awesome 'murican steel for ramming, great gun depression.

M6 -  Same as the above, except that the firepower is even better, with great DPM and an OP gold round that will hurt anything it sees. 

T29 - Hull-down monster that laughs at tier 9s, reasonably armoured frontal hull, good alpha, borderline OP.

T32 - Even better hull-down than the T29, which is saying something. The only disappointment in the line from tier 5 onwards. Underwhelming gun, but works with liberal gold use. Still far from a bad tank as it holds its own in higher tier games, which is a hallmark of a good tank. 

M103 - Outputs damage like nobody's business with very comfortable soft stats. Kills stuff before they can kill it. 

T110E5 - Comfort, comfort, comfort. An all-rounder that is great for pubs and even CW viable. 

The T1 was awesomesauce as long as you learned to aim versus KVs.

M6 was roflstomp if you knew how to hull down at all

T29 is broken as hell

T32 was gold spam and quite expensive, only did dailies with mine as I wasn't good enough back then to make 198 pen work on a Tier 8 heavy.

M103 was meh until I got the top gun, then it was :Q_______ (and no, that's not drooling from turning into an imbecile), the top gun is certainly worth it and makes life so much easier.

E5... haven't bought yet, holding out for 30% sale if they ever un-nerf the ontracks. Lower tiers 15% is tolerable, because I sell it back, but Tier 10s are for keeps, and I have enough CW-viables already in garage... though half have never been played and the 50M still lacks a crew.

For me, the E5 line was my first tank line.  Still is my favorite tank to this day, originally my stats were shit in it (less than 1k DPG, 44% win rate, and 400 battles or so).  Now I have started to fix the stats of the tank, so keep that in mind if you choose to look.

It has no weaknesses, although it is supposed to be second line, I play mine on the front lines with the E100s, and I still do perfectly fine.  In fact, I tend to do around 4k quite often now, really am proud of it :)

Now everything in that line is absolute shit till you get to the T29.  YOU NEED to play that tank.  It's too OP to NOT play.  The T32 is a good tank, but I consider it an up-tiered T29, but you can manage.

The M103 before it had the HD armor model was ridiculously fun.  It could actually take hits, but now with the HD armor model, it has been nerfed quite a bit.  You still need to play the M103 however, as it is perfect preparation for the E5.  If you already have a 2 and a half skill crew, throw it on tanks and work down the line so that way you will have an amazing crew when you get the E5.

Up to the T32 now.

So far they are all pretty comfy have good gun handling stronk turrets and great gun depression

Gun depression coupled with stronk turrets make them excel

If you need to be convinced to play the classic US heavy line then you need your head examined. ALL of the tanks in the line are capable, there isn't a single PoS among them. The same can not be said for most of the other heavy lines in the game.

The E5 is my most played (1,400 games) tank for a reson. Get it.

I positively HATED the T1 Heavy... it was slow, sluggish, HP pinata... until I checked my stats and it was one of my best performing tanks... that's when I took another good look and found it's quite well armored on front, nimble (for a 5 heavy) and I am still playing it... If I ever get a 3rd MoE on a tank... this may very well be it (there jinxed it again).

The M6 was less of a grind (possibly because I was expecting it) and I had some epic games in it... Even against the old KV-1S's... 

Like the rest says T29, T32... <3

M103 was my first tier 9, I free exp'd the turret and 2nd gun on it and it never felt like a grind. Even when doing M103 only runs to get it unlocked before X-mas I was still having fun nearly every game.

This tank line is my favorite in the game (not my favorite tank that's the T67 but favorite line). 

Yeah, probably the smoothest line to grind in the game.

Even the disappointments are above average tanks – the T32 is a fortress hulldown, and pretty much the carriest heavy tank in tier 8. Or at least, I haven't found a heavy tank that is as good at dragging games back from the precipice.

The T1 was fun. The M6 has ridiculous gun handing on a ridiculous gun. The T29 needs no introduction. The M103 is solid and lets you do what you need to do. And the E5 is that ramped up many notches.

T32 turret is epic. Bounced an entire clip from a Waffle crutch tank and then killed him during his reload.

I played this line up to the T32 early on and after that slowly grinded towards the T110E5. My take on the grind:

T1 Heavy: The gun is ok, you sometimes even bounce stuff. Not great, but not horrible either.

M6: Decent gun with lolwut APCR, good DPM and still the occasional bounce.

T29: Good pen, good alpha, great armor, good viewrange. As someone else already said: It's the king of tier 7.

T32: Feels a bit disappointing, because it is a T29 with slight improvements all around, but a tier higher. But it is a good tank and you'll learn to appreciate it.

M103: Good gun, comfy. But the armor isn't riddled with weakspots, it's a weakspot riddled with a few strips of working armor. It's not bad, but it isn't great either. 

T110E5: Similar to the M103, but better in every way. The gun is better, the armor is way better and it is even a bit faster and more agile. Great tank.

So in short the T32 is actually a good tank, you just don't notice it right away because the T29 is tier for tier so much better, but you will appreciate it at some point. The M103 appears to be a shadow of it's former non-HD glory, but the gun is good. The T110E5 is just great.

You get E5 as tier 10. All other tanks to it are good. Nothing more needs to be said.

The last tank I enjoyed on this line was the M6. T29 is good, but it gets old quickly. I stopped playing it completely after eliting it, it´s plain boring. That´s just for an opinion you haven´t heard yet...

On the other hand, it might just be me, getting bored of HTs in general.

The last tank I enjoyed on this line was the M6. T29 is good, but it gets old quickly. I stopped playing it completely after eliting it, it´s plain boring. That´s just for an opinion you haven´t heard yet...

On the other hand, it might just be me, getting bored of HTs in general.

T29 is a big carry tank... though. If I platoon with people I know I can't really trust and they want 7's... this is the tank...

I remember Historical Battles... T29's vs IS's... oooh the glorious ROFLSTOMPS...

I find carrying ability in mobility...And T29 pretty much lacks that, I don´t platoon, so no friend to rush and reset base before I arrive. It´s a great tank, don´t get me wrong, I just find it lacking in today´s meta, where your noob team focuses 1 flank and leaves 2 open. Platooned, it might be just the one, you want to play though. I find Tier7 great for able tanks.

T1 I sold and went through the e2, m6 I absolutely hated but played it in an entirely different game(tier 6 heavies saw tier 10,no gold for credits), t29 is godly, I find the the t32 to be way under appreciated it is great and one of my highest avg experience tanks, m103 is great, and e5 is great but remember the last two have a slightly different style.

I think the fact that people love playing them is clear enough. But for me it is also the effect they have on the enemy team:

T1 isn't really feared and even overlooked in games as not being a threat...untill you start shooting them every 3 seconds and they are dead before they are in cover.

M6 also hasn't got a real fear factor, but when that 90mm is warmed up...damn...it eats up everything.

Both these tanks have a sort of extra camo, because they don't really get noticed or ignored. You aren't a priority target, but you can dish out the damage. You need it tbh, because you are a soft target for a heavy.

Then you get to the next couple of tanks that go the other way round.

T29 is a big tank and you will get noticed. Mainly because people fear you. When you are hull down, you can be sure there will be crying and cursing going on. For most players you are harder to kill at tier 7 than an E100 at tier 10. Its my biggest love, because it lets me do stupid stuff and still win.

T32 is smaller, but harder, so you get the same reactions. When you are hull down over a ridge, smart people just give up. Luckily, they are a minority in WOT, so shoot away and enjoy!

Then comes the last and a total different couple. I am at the M103 atm and still struggling a bit. The playstyle is different. The amount of agressiveness that was possible with the T29 and T32 doesn't work and I got my ass handed to me on a plate with compliments. Got down to 45% wins on it. Slowly recovering now and forcing myself to play more cautiously. 

E5 is on the horizon, still got 80k to go. But my winter toon crew is waiting patiently. Looking forward to it.

So, in short...just do it, you will enjoy!  

I only recently played the T1 Heavy and man.. that thing is awesome!

Playing the M6 at the moment and I really do enjoy the tank as well but I'll have to play some more matches to come with a final verdict :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apIo5cFHe4E

T29 is a big carry tank... though. If I platoon with people I know I can't really trust and they want 7's... this is the tank...

I remember Historical Battles... T29's vs IS's... oooh the glorious ROFLSTOMPS...

You couldn't use the T29 in that mode at all, because it never went into overseas service.

I do believe you're referencing confrontation mode, completely different (and a tier where the germans got shafted at tier 6-8, and brits dominated the sealclub territory)

I do believe you're referencing confrontation mode, completely different (and a tier where the germans got shafted at tier 6-8

On the other hand they won lots at tier 10 because there was fucking pre-nerf wafflecancer everywhere.

I once got a confrontation game with 13 hellcats, which we somehow managed to lose.

I really gotta get myself the T29. It's such a great tank. The gun is OP if it just sees tier 7s. 

For some reason I had a lot of games in the last months with about 12-14 tier 7 heavies in both teams when I was in my T29. Tiger, IS, and T29 battling it out. Those are amazing games. Lots and lots of HP to go around and plenty of asses to kick in your OP T29. I really like those games and I haven't run nto anything similar in other tanks/tiers. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0