TrOplcThUnDeR

Leo PTA. Diamond in the rough appreciation thread.

189 posts in this topic

So... This tank gets a lot of hate it seems. Not a lot of people like it and a very few actually enjoy it. Seems like a lot of the super unis free XP past it. However, for some reason I love this thing so much that I decided to make a thread for it.

It is fast as hell with a laser of a gun. That's it. Armor is horrible. The depression kills it. The DPM is meh. However, for some weird and unknown reason those two things work so beautifully. Getting damage in without taking any in return seems to be extremely easy by getting early positions and laser cannon raping everything. It is easy to run away and re-position. 

Currently sitting at near 2,950 dmg/790 assisted/62% over 151 games all solo other than a few in a 1 man platoon with a green player. 

I prefer to run the typical medium setup of V-STAB/Rammer/Optics. I also find camo to be important as all hell for crew skills since playing vision control games seems to be what makes this thing.

Thoughts? I can't be the only one that loves the hell out of this thing.

I'm getting this tank and the e50, I currently have 300k free exp laying around...not sure which tanks/modules I should free exp though. I'm currently on t5 for both.

I loved the PTA, is a stronk tenk as long as you can avoid getting hit early

I got to 94% MOE and then got absolutely SHIT on :/

I liked it for the most part, However I wish it had the same 9 degree gun depression as the leo1. The leos are too squishy for my taste.

There is already a thread for this but I actually really do enjoy the tank and think if you don't yolo like a retard you will do fine

I loathed it since I spent my Free XP on L7 for Cent 7 instead (did not expect sale on PTA so soon) and ended up having to slog through the stock gun until I scraped together enough Free XP (yes, I broke my "never convert" rule... but that was not intentionally ground to be Free XP, just residual XP) to do it.

Then the clouds parted and some manner of deity smiled down upon me. Couldn't tell which cause too bright after so long in the dark, but hey...

Yeah, that was the amount of difference the gun made, not like Cent 7 where I was so pissed at the shit DPM and derpiness that I had to go back to Type B to make the tank tolerable again, PTA NEEDS the gun. Angels sing when you put the L7 on it.

This was the only tank I fully ground out, not just daily doubles, during its on-track, and my most-played tank at 300 games. NO REGRETS. NONE.

There is already a thread for this but I actually really do enjoy the tank and think if you don't yolo like a retard you will do fine

Really? I looked around somewhat and didn't find anything. Clearly no love for the tank...

Meh. That applies to any tank.

Is the bloom really bad? I held off on buying this tank after hearing that it has gun handling as bad as the Indien. I went up this line expecting a Tier 9 and 10 with the T-62A's gun handling with 390 alpha and more depression with a higher top speed in exchange for DPM, armor, and acceleration.

Is the bloom really bad? I held off on buying this tank after hearing that it has gun handling as bad as the Indien. I went up this line expecting a Tier 9 and 10 with the T-62A's gun handling with 390 alpha and more depression with a higher top speed in exchange for DPM, armor, and acceleration.

It's a much faster Centurion 7/1 with little depression, negligible (but not non-existent) armor, and more DPM. Gun handling is comparatively bad on both.

It's a much faster Centurion 7/1 with little depression, negligible (but not non-existent) armor, and more DPM. Gun handling is comparatively bad on both.

Then how exactly do I play it? I really don't know how to play a tank like this to its strengths in the current meta. People seem to still be getting good results though, so I must be missing something.

Then how exactly do I play it? I really don't know how to play a tank like this to its strengths in the current meta. People seem to still be getting good results though, so I must be missing something.

A believe a fairly large myth about this meta is that vision control is nearly impossible and also the fact that people seem to act like mobility, view range, and camo are nearly useless.

All 3 of those are still what wins game and leo is extremely good at them. I wrote a really short guide on the official forum: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/419942-leopard-pt-a-reviewguide/page__fromsearch__1

It has a replay pack with roughly 3.6k avg dmg but I believe you would need patch 9.5. 

Really? I looked around somewhat and didn't find anything. Clearly no love for the tank...

Meh. That applies to any tank.

It's more of a "This tank is a turd" thread that has lots of people defending it.

I really like the PTA. Playing this and the Cent. 7/1 at the same time has been very interesting and hard for my brain. To me, the biggest hindrance is the poor depression. Lack of armor doesn't bother me, having to pull all the way over a rise to shoot, does.

I also prefer T10 games over T9 games. People focus on me less it seems, and there's less pressure as a top-tier. That lets me sit back and CHAI-snipe my way to 3k damage with ease.

I really like this tank and unlocked the Leo1 earlier this week.  The lessons learned from the PTA will help you in any medium-style tank.

I loved the PTA  It is able to be very aggressive because it has so much speed to fall back on when it really needs to GTFO, and that allows it to get into spots most meds really shouldnt be in,and stay in them for longer, and so keep its gun active a lot.  The only thing preventing it from being a keeper is that the leo 1 is better in almost every way.

One thing I will say though, is that this tank has one of the most horrific stock grinds of any tank I have played and that may be what drives a lot of players to free xp it and have nightmares for months afterwards.

Played this tank fully stock and I achieved like 1.6k dmg per game and absolutely hated it.

But now that I got it fully upgraded I absolutely adore this little gem, I think you can say it is as underrated as Paul Scholes in his prime :sad: 

a7QRV8o.jpg

I have a question. I have unlocked everything on this tank except the tracks. Are the tracks worth unlocking or just grind to the Leo 1? I notice I get tracked very easy and I was wondering if the upgraded tracks will help with this or is it a waste of xp? Thanks!

My WR in the PTA is still subpar (45%@50 games. I suck), but I am having a fun time playing it. 2,1k DPG so far yet still recovering from a rough start. Good for my standards especially considering that 2k was my goal), but I still need to learn how to win in it. It also kinda grew on me as I now prefer to play it over E-75 VKB and E-50 when looking for a fun tank to play. The amount of troll bounces the edges of the gun mantlet generate is also amusing.

I'm getting this tank and the e50, I currently have 300k free exp laying around...not sure which tanks/modules I should free exp though. I'm currently on t5 for both.

I finished both grinds around Christmas.
You should definitely have free XP for the following unlocks (assuming you only want to free XP after T6):

Leopard line:
VK 30.02 is ok if you do not platoon since it has low MM weight. Not as bad as its rep if you give it a chance. You are a bad scout in a T9 battle tho.

Indien really really needs the upgraded engine. Stock mobility is a true PITA. Might also need to free XP/module the tracks in order to mount the 8,8. Note that you could also go for the 9cm gun without tracks, but tracks are cheaper

Leopard stock needs engine, turret and gun to become decent from what I have read (free XPed it). Anything else and you break its role (need speed to offset armor, gun handling to offset armor and alpha to offset armor). You need to use the tracks module thingy iirc.

E-50:

Panther is decent if you start out with the L100. I really liked mine. Would grind it again just for the unique play style it offers. Can bounce up to 175mm pen if played correctly and you don't get shot in the Schmalturm with a hidden LFP.
Panther II has a bad rep that is imo not entirely deserved. You need free XP to mount the 8,8 asap (tracks and turret iirc) but once you get that it is a nice ride. The increased HP allow you to duel some heavies you couldn't face in other T8 meds. Fast enough to get most work done and has enough armor to work agaist low tiers (you can now bounce ~200mm pen with LFP covered and UFP at a slight angle, but the turret ruins the armor. Never rely on it. That said most EU pubs don't realize that the turret is weak...). This thing got me better at the medium play style. Basically a faster Tiger I that pads WN8 like crazy.
E-50 needs track upgrade (same equipment as E-75), turret and gun imo. Engine is shared with the Auf Panther so you might get it that way if you also want a RU.

If you were to free XP any tanks the most likely candidates are the VK DB and the Panther II although I had a lot of fun in both of them. Just use the XP for modules.
Hope my rambling is of some use to you. :)

So I just "restarted" this tank.

I decided to apply the Kewai method of play. Solo pub only, lay it on myself to win. In a less then stellar tank. LEO PTA was my choice. Up until now I haven't done well in it. Sub-2k damage per game and 54% win rate.

As of my 15 battles last night truly focusing on winning and being the best i can in the tank...

Both damage is over 2k and I went 14-1 in battles for 93% win rate.

I still make a lot of mistakes, but this is a great learning tank (even if it is a tier 9). The combination of gun handling, speed, complete lack of armor, and lengthy reload teaches you how to play less aggressive. Something I never really practice in the game. While I am not going to perform at Kewai numbers in this tank it has amazing capabilities to move around and change the battle as need be. The limits are obvious and crippling sometimes, but I think this is the perfect tank to really hone gameplay.

Where would I take a PTA on a city map?

Depends on the city map. Hill is decent on himmelsdorf if you got support. If not a window in the middle works. Ensk I like railroad from south. North I usually get into a window at D4. The tank is fairly good at mid range fighting.

222/500 battles played in my solo grind. Pulled my win rate up from 45% in my first 100 battles to 53%. 2440 WN8 from like 1700 some.

It feel like i'm learning a new game by playing 2nd line. Despite all the tanks I've played, I've rarely played second line and this tank requires it.