TrOplcThUnDeR

Leo PTA. Diamond in the rough appreciation thread.

195 posts in this topic

When stock:

Type 61 get far better gun soft stats with notably better dpm in exchange for 0.02 base accuracy.

They get the same mobility.

Type 61 get frontal transmission instead of ammo rack, an improvement when you are forced to expose excessively with pea shooter guns.

-------------------

What set them apart is when you get upgrades.

Leo pta get a massive engine upgrade, while type 61 get a very small one. The mobility difference is big with the top engine.

Leo pta get improved gun handling with elite configuration, with laser beam accuracy. Type 61 gun handling get WORSE with elite configuration, with worse base accuracy and worse aim time.

The dpm difference is also negligible in elite configuration.

------------------

Leo pta basically sucks a lot stock, and improves notably with every upgrade. Type 61 starts off much better stock, and improves a lot less so with each upgrade, eventually ending up outclassed by elite configuration.

After hating this tank with a burning passion, i ended up liking it, and am currently atempting my second ever 3rd gun mark. It's incredible how much better it started to perform the second i put a BiA crew in it. It needs another gun handling buff though (missing 3 or 4 fully aimed shots in a row it's as frustrating as ever).

45 battles, 38% win rate

I have a strong urge to sell this fucking piece of shit tonight. Full-on loss streak for over 6 battles in a row, can't influence shit even when I'm top tier by a fucking miracle, everything seems to spot & pen me with fucking lazer guns, damaging/blowing up my ammo rack in the process

l.e.: also, a fucking KV-3 just tried to yolo rush me. WHY IN THE EXACT FUCK do even Tier 7 tanks feel that they can simply piss all over you like you're a fucking tier 5?!

The only thing I'm willing to give this piece of shit is that it can circle strafe heavies like a boss, dat turning speed

18 hours ago, Fedaykin89 said:

45 battles, 38% win rate

I have a strong urge to sell this fucking piece of shit tonight. Full-on loss streak for over 6 battles in a row, can't influence shit even when I'm top tier by a fucking miracle, everything seems to spot & pen me with fucking lazer guns, damaging/blowing up my ammo rack in the process

l.e.: also, a fucking KV-3 just tried to yolo rush me. WHY IN THE EXACT FUCK do even Tier 7 tanks feel that they can simply piss all over you like you're a fucking tier 5?!

The only thing I'm willing to give this piece of shit is that it can circle strafe heavies like a boss, dat turning speed

I went from 38% to 54% and climbing (it took me 200 battles >.<), patience, a nirvana state of mind and knowing that you're a bona fide support tank is what you need to make this pos work.

Its only a POS if you try to brawl with it. Put 300m between you and the other guys and its very good indeed.

Of course, discussion is about the elite tank...dont play it when not elite, especially not without the L7 gun

3 hours ago, Gryphon_ said:

Its only a POS if you try to brawl with it. Put 300m between you and the other guys and its very good indeed.

Of course, discussion is about the elite tank...dont play it when not elite, especially not without the L7 gun

Half your shots miss at 300m and taking 3 and a half dark ages to aim doesn't help either, for me 2nd line support (100ish meters) and knwoing when to run away is the best strat (also OF COURSE conserving hit points, something i usually really suck at, this tank taught me how to do it the hard way).

4 hours ago, Nkrlz said:

Half your shots miss at 300m and taking 3 and a half dark ages to aim doesn't help either, for me 2nd line support (100ish meters) and knwoing when to run away is the best strat (also OF COURSE conserving hit points, something i usually really suck at, this tank taught me how to do it the hard way).

Are we playing the same tank? I have a BIA crew and I'm getting sub-2 sec aim time and a dispersion of 0.3 - none better at tier 9.

If you can't hit stuff at 300m with this tank, you don't have any better options.

But - it has to be said that this tank is the medium of choice for those who normally play lights. It is not the medium of choice for those who play heavies (T-54, 430, etc). 

4 hours ago, Gryphon_ said:

Are we playing the same tank? I have a BIA crew and I'm getting sub-2 sec aim time and a dispersion of 0.3 - none better at tier 9.

If you can't hit stuff at 300m with this tank, you don't have any better options.

But - it has to be said that this tank is the medium of choice for those who normally play lights. It is not the medium of choice for those who play heavies (T-54, 430, etc). 

I have a BIA crew and really each time i move my tank or the turret the reticle seems to take 5 dark ages to close again (much worse than the e50, on par with the skoda50).

15 hours ago, Gryphon_ said:

Although I never considered it this way, this sums it up well.

18 hours ago, Nkrlz said:

I have a BIA crew and really each time i move my tank or the turret the reticle seems to take 5 dark ages to close again (much worse than the e50, on par with the skoda50).

It would be pretty spoiled to compare to the E50.. since that gun is exactly the same as tier 10 other than penetration. Compare it to T-54, and it isn't all that different when trying to aim.

Further, given bloom is a factor of speed and acceleration it tends to feel worse on the Leo given how much more nimble it is than the e50.

On 10/24/2017 at 6:16 PM, Hally said:

It would be pretty spoiled to compare to the E50.. since that gun is exactly the same as tier 10 other than penetration. Compare it to T-54, and it isn't all that different when trying to aim.

Might be, i haven't played a decent amount of games in the T-54 in a loong time.

After just unlocking the L7 clone a few battles ago... I must say I'm slightly impressed.

Though the damage doesn't rack up particularly well (I was aware it wasn't stellar in the DPM department), it's very.... reliable. OK, derpy shots will still happen, but except for the few moments you have to let it aim down the sights a bit, it's mostly point & click.
So yeah, the gun gave it a much needed punch. Not to mention the comfort of the extra pen means no more idiotic bounce off of stuff you SHOULD have gone through.

Still gotta learn what to do with it on shit maps like Pilsen, Stalincrap & whatever

So a few dozen games later, after unlocking the final gun...

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3925974#airfield-fedaykin89-leopard_prototyp_a

The Mastery Badge eluded me for some time, I've had some 3-4k damage games, but a lot of times I was sniping like a bitch, afraid to get spotted and blasted to pieces. Or just being forced to play on Pilsen, lol.

If anyone is willing to analyze my play in this one, if what I'm doing with this thing is what I should be doing, I'd be much obliged!

Is this considered resurrection?

9 months since the last message in this topic.

I am about to unlock the tank from the HWK line and was wondering how it performs these days.

Should I bother with it if I have the T-54 (2 marked with the low dpm, accurate gun) or the russian is better in most cases? 

Is the russian better in most cases? Yes it is. Paper Sniper tanks need the right map to work. T-54 can work on all maps.

And still, I like my PTA. Its L7 gun is very good at T9. You can deal with every tank you face. Once you get on an open map you can shine. You scoot around and punish enemies from the distance. It can do everything the normal Leo at T10 can do but has the better matchmaking. 

7 hours ago, Boodler said:

Is this considered resurrection?

9 months since the last message in this topic.

I am about to unlock the tank from the HWK line and was wondering how it performs these days.

Should I bother with it if I have the T-54 (2 marked with the low dpm, accurate gun) or the russian is better in most cases? 

the Russian is better unless its name is 430 II

Unlike the T-54, the PTA is not at all dependent on HEAT spam. The PTA is also fast and has gun depression.

Agility is quite poor. The top bar on the turret will troll some people, because it's spaced armor that doesn't count as a hit.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:43 AM, Mureke said:

Agility is quite poor.

But why is that?

Both engine and tracks attributes improve a lot going from stock to elite, below a comparison of PTA - T54 stock / elite / increase.

Engine: 

630 / 830 / 30+% /// 620 / 700 / 12%

Tracks:

38°/ 42° / ~10% /// 46 / 48 / under 5%

Doesn't movement of vehicle scale with the increase in horsepower and track traverse? I feel like I read somewhere it does. (Here: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Hull_Traverse_Speed )

2 hours ago, Boodler said:

Doesn't movement of vehicle scale with the increase in horsepower and track traverse? I feel like I read somewhere it does. (Here: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Hull_Traverse_Speed )

Yes, I suppose the PTA has almost has good effective tank traverse as the T-54. I think it's the turret traverse that's noticeably bad, although it's nowhere near as bad as on the B-C 25t AP. The gun bloom on moving and turret traverse can also make the PTA a bit awkward to maneuver. Luckily, the bloom on turret traverse is relatively good, so it feels comfortable overall.