TheBriar

Panther - A Misunderstood Beauty

94 posts in this topic

So, for a long time I wanted the E 50 M. I started to go down the line, liking the low tier tanks, the tier V was meh and 6 was amazing. I researched the panther, and a TON of people told me it was complete and utter garbage. I went into it, preparing for the worst. The stock grind was OK, but when I got it fully upgraded. Oh. My. God. Its fucking amazing. Granted yes, its not good at accelerating and climbs hills like a fat old geezer, BUT.

The guns penetration+accuracy are among the best in the tier, its health pool is ridiculously high for a tier 7 medium (on par with a bunch of the tier 8 meds, and above some of the tier 7 heavies) sitting at 1300 HP. Its armor is OK, it can bounce quite well, but you can't count on it to survive. The mobility is again, OK, but its top speed is good and when you get it going down a hill... It can ram IS-3s and come out of it on top. The bloom values on the move are bad though. This tank just... clicks for me. I don't know why but I enjoy it more than any of my other current tanks. It also has a decent DPM for tier 7. There is one thing though. It is big. Its bigger than a fucking tiger. Which means a) you can't hide behind some cover that other tanks can, artillery has a big ol hard on for you most times, and the engine deck is HUGE meaning artillery can set you on fire easily because it penetrates the engine deck with ease. That being said. Panther. Is. Beautiful :) Also a great stat padder lol... 2k damage and 2 kills got me 6k wn8...

The only thing it has over other tier7 meds is AP pen. The mobility, armor, DPM, gun handling, All subpar or just barely average. It has next to no ability to carry. 

The 50mm side armor is a lie, its 40mm under the tracks which makes sidescraping against 122's a complete joke. Sidescraping works fine against anything else tho. Couldnt enjoy it simply due to the terrible alpha + bad gun handling combo. Panther2 fixes those issues at least.

I didn't like it either. It was a shitty version of the VK DB with APCR standard rounds.

The only thing it has over other tier7 meds is AP pen. The mobility, armor, DPM, gun handling, All subpar or just barely average. It has next to no ability to carry. 

The 50mm side armor is a lie, its 40mm under the tracks which makes sidescraping against 122's a complete joke. Sidescraping works fine against anything else tho. Couldnt enjoy it simply due to the terrible alpha + bad gun handling combo. Panther2 fixes those issues at least.

Panther II still has rather poor gun handling (ew aimtime), mobility is still subpar on Panther II, armor is still on the low-side.

Also, Panther II loses 2 things the Panther had: DAT HP POOL M8 and DAT PENETRATION FOR TIER M8.

Panther II still has rather poor gun handling (ew aimtime), mobility is still subpar on Panther II, armor is still on the low-side.

Also, Panther II loses 2 things the Panther had: DAT HP POOL M8 and DAT PENETRATION FOR TIER M8.

Panther2's gun handling is only a bit worse than the E50's. True, aimtime sucks, however In my experience I rarely had to aim at close-mid range as the bloom is really good. The aimtime is only a problem at long range.

1500HP and 203 pen is still on the high end of tier8 meds. Only the centurion has significantly more. Indy and STA1 only have ~10 more pen which really doesnt mean anything.

I grinded the panter and it was a blast. Such an accurate gun with good dpm. What is there not to love?

Panther was such a shit tank, at least the P2 has decent punch for it's tier.

I think I'd rather play a chi-ri over a panther, and I hated the chi-ri too.

Panther is not good, its forgiving. The gun is reliable, fast reload, decent angles and armor, huge hp pool and not too slow, but no qualitiea are really a advantage. Its simply easy to play and people enjoy it for that.

Oh and I absorbed a 950 damage arty shell on 50 hp and went on to get a pools in it with a damaged gun and engine because you know, soviet bias.

Panther is good tank. I played it quite aggressive, since it HAS some armor(like, tier 6 scrubs can actually bounce you) and gun was nice to me. Also ramming can do the trick.

IF you don't like the L/100 for some reason - remember that L/70 has average stats for tier 7 medium.

It's one of my favorite tanks, quite decent. Also it pads WN8 well.

I disliked the panther three years ago when I originally played it. Somewhat recently bought it back when I went for the e50m, and I friggin loved it. I'd often get into peak a boom situations (purposely) and bully le fuck outta bads. Can do a decent side scrape, shoot them three times for every time they bounce you. Loved it, only played it a little since I grinded through it so quickly, but I seem to remember averaging about 2k damage at the time (cant remember WR tho, but guessing that was also gud) sow asn't able to overcome my previous potato stats but eh. HOWEVER, the vk db is just plain sex, a little gold spam and *orgasm*. Vk db can brawl better, and I feel has more carry potential. However theres something so satisfying about the panther that I think I liked it more.

I played it for 100 battles, did very well in in.... but honestly that pee shooter of a gun.... I'd rather sacrifice DPM for more alpha.....

EDIT: I mean reload time...

Panther is not a top performer, has no really strong redeeming quality and lacks carry potential, that's true. But it's a pleasure to drive for reasons not related to performance. It looks awesome. It's one of the few vehicles to perform well in (almost) historical setup (dat dong is too long tho). And high pen tanks are generally comfortable to play. 

Seems like my reasoning is better suited for off forum, but... well. I like the Panther

It's the only one in the line that I didn't really enjoy playing (well, I haven't played the E50M yet, but I imagine it's almost the same as the E50, which I'm enjoying right now). I found the gun to be strangely derpy, especially at longer ranges, where I seemed to constantly be missing shots or having them fly off at funny angles and thus get stupid bounces. This then was especially problematic given the really anemic alpha, which makes it a necessity that every shot penetrates and does damage, lest you just fail to contribute in any meaningful manner. I think this is why I found the Panther 2 much easier to play, at least it has alpha on par with the other mediums in the tier. The Panther just felt too much like trying to kill someone by poking it to death a million times with a toothpick.

Apart from that, it's characteristics are similar with the VK before it and the Panther 2 after it - all-round average. Not terrible at anything, but not particularly great at anything either.

Panther is the least enjoyable tank I have ever had the displeasure of driving in this game.

I recall I fully penned one through the turret today early this morning in my FV 3805 (I think thats what it's called)

Panther:0 Arty: -1000000000003456

BquV10f.png

My stats in it.

Well, it's not bad tank in my book.

How to Panther:

• Snipe
  • Bully
  • Ram

I'd say if this E-50 feels like, it must be one hell of a tank.

It's quite fun to play :) Sure, I wish it had more camo and a not-so-big profile, but the comfy gun and the decent maneuverability + occasionally trolish armor just makes this tank nice to play. Not the best tank in tier but certainly quite comfortable (I still have it even after I finished the E-50m grind)

Couldn't make it work, can't make the 2 work... losing my way through

I tell myself it wasnt the stock st emil,

Wow a lot of people hate it. I did 4k damage with 6 kills in a tier 9 match... Top damage. I don't see the problem with the alpha. Tanks like the Comet, Chi-Ri, T-43 have the same problem. Yet they are all OK tanks (Besides the fokin chiri) If you give it a little loving it'll love you back. I hated it for 19 games, got it un stocked and now its my favorite tonk. Just try to see its potential... I bounced 3 lorr shots off my UFP while angling, and proceded to fuck his shit up by permatracking him... The DPM is good for a tier 7... Give it a chance ppl :3

No they don't, the Panther hits for 135 every 4.4 seconds, the Comet hits for 150 every 3.9 seconds, the Chi-Ri autoloads a 390 damage burst every 10 seconds, and a the T-43 punches for 180 every 5.4 seconds. The three of them have no issue with their raw damage output; the Panther is the clear loser in the firepower department over everything except the KV-13/T23E3/A-44. The KV-13 and A-44 are clearly superior platforms, while the T23E3 has pref MM. The Panther's DPM is almost perfectly average - just slightly below. Nothing outstanding.

OTOH T-43 has 144 pen for Panther's 198. What good is a 390 burst if half your shots bounce? I feel it evens out in the end.

No they don't, the Panther hits for 135 every 4.4 seconds, the Comet hits for 150 every 3.9 seconds, the Chi-Ri autoloads a 390 damage burst every 10 seconds, and a the T-43 punches for 180 every 5.4 seconds. The three of them have no issue with their raw damage output; the Panther is the clear loser in the firepower department over everything except the KV-13/T23E3/A-44. The KV-13 and A-44 are clearly superior platforms, while the T23E3 has pref MM. The Panther's DPM is almost perfectly average - just slightly below. Nothing outstanding.

But all of those tanks bounce most of the time, besides A-44. The Comet is a good tank; in tier 8. But. In tier 9 its useless. The panther can pen most tier 9 heavies and has a spectacular APCR round. Panther wins.