swisstika

Is the STA-2 any good?

60 posts in this topic

Spent some gift card money on the CDC because I loves me a flexing medium and have been doing superbly in it but there are some people that swear by the STA-2. Can I has some opinions on the tank (STA-2) to help me decide if I should get it when d fam feels like donating to my tanking cause. :3

** Is there another T8 prem that you would recommend? I'm looking at the T34 simply because I rebought the t29 and am improving stats in it. love it now hate it then (first t7, meh stats)

CDC > Sta2

Thanks. Looking for "FUN" prems though so I was looking for people that can tell me how much fun it is and if it makes good credits

Thanks. Looking for "FUN" prems though so I was looking for people that can tell me how much fun it is and if it makes good credits

STA-2 isn't fun with the gun it gets etc.. again t10s.

The CDC however is a lot of fun because of its speed etc, I play mine a lot in T8 stronkholds. Best credit farmer EU. :3

STA-2 just seems like a ghetto Pershing. Gun handling is worse, gold round is worse, armor is significantly weaker all around, view range is 20 less. It has one thing going for it over the Pershing, which is superior DPM: 2028 base vs. 1757 base. That puts its DPM about average for a tier 8 medium. I ran a few battles in it on the test server, I can't really see it being worth getting. It seems playable but couldn't be much more dull, underwhelming, and generic.

The STA-2 is a gimped STA-1 that sees tier 10.  It's too slow to flank properly, it has no armor to begin with, and the gun has horrible pen that requires heat spam.  If you are buying it with the intention of gold spam and playing it like a hipster then yeah, get it.

If you are getting it as a money maker........stick with your CDC, hell if you really want another med, get a Panther88

The STA-2 is apparently very unpopular. I got a MoE on it and I've been playing like shit.

Is the CDC too fast for you? Does the gun have too much pen? No worries! Buy a STA-2!

^^

I have a few games in mine, so far seems to make pretty good credits, and pretty decent all around, just make sure to go to good hull down spots on the second line. I just wanted a Japanese crew trainer so that makes it better than the CDC for me at least.

I love my STA-2, something about it is just fun. It's comfortable to play, and it's reliable.

I like mine as well. Stats-wise it isn't the greatest tank (slow, derpy gun with low AP penetration, bad armour except for an unreliable mantlet whuch can be bypassed easily by shooting the top of the turret). Even so, AP pen is sufficient to deal with most targets, and if not you can either ignore hard tanks, focussing on soft ones, or just shoot gold.

It is, however, pretty comfy to play because of the great depression, and the gold round is great (you get the equivalent of Tier X silver penetration, which is enough to go through anything in game). Speed is acceptable for a support tank, since it keeps you out of too much trouble. Makes credits pretty decently, and inflates stats like nothing else can (I'm a shitty green and don't even pad stats intentionally, but 2k damage will give close to 4k WN8 which is pretty achievable).

I think I fell in love with mine after my mantlet ate a full T57 clip when I got tracked by arty and already burned my kit.

Edited by Armatus

They've buffed it on the test server, it's worthwhile now I think. The gun handling went from bleh to solid, the mobility went from poor to decent. It's still not going to turn heads but it falls in the realm of tanks worth considering.

They've buffed it on the test server, it's worthwhile now I think. The gun handling went from bleh to solid, the mobility went from poor to decent. It's still not going to turn heads but it falls in the realm of tanks worth considering.

Any more details on this? Specifically mobility wise (was the top speed raised? engine buffed? terrain resistance improved?). I don't think I've read anything about it being buffed on SEA..

STA-2:

• Crossing capacity of the STA-2 suspension on solid terrain increased by 20%
    • Medium terrain increased by 18%
    • Soft terrain increased by 10%
  • Aiming time of the 90mm Rifled Gun for the STA-2 turret decreased from 2.2 to 2.1 s
  • Dispersion on turret traverse of the 90mm Rifled Gun decreased by 29%

Significant terrain resistance buff, minor aim time buff, major turret rotation bloom buff-which was the biggest problem imo.

Basically gets it in line with the theme of many Japanese mediums of superior gun handling to make up for other shortcomings.

Significant terrain resistance buff, minor aim time buff, major turret rotation bloom buff-which was the biggest problem imo.

Basically gets it in line with the theme of many Japanese mediums of superior gun handling to make up for other shortcomings.

Hm the resistance buffs interest me.

As for the turret dispersion, is it just me or do I feel it won't really make that much of a difference? I'm most often hill-fighting anyway, locked on then inching up to peek so turret dispersion doesn't really factor in that much since I only make minor alterations after unlocking and zooming in (for weakspots). Of course, any buffs to the underwhelming gun-handling is nice but I don't really feel it would have much of an impact (on my style at least).

Edited by Armatus

I'll play a few games, see what I can tell you.

That would be nice. Thank you.

I should really do it myself but meh, I heard ping is terrible from SEA on CBT's.

Tried 3-4 games. 

1st of all I keep getting tier 10 games where I'm only tier 8 because test server.

2nd of all - it now doesn't wobble around, it can actually move. ~45km/h, which isn't bad. And gun - I don't feel like much is changed, gun is Japanese derp, shells have their own mind.

IDK, to me feels like it's still not worth it. Don't take my word on it tho.

Tried 3-4 games. 

1st of all I keep getting tier 10 games where I'm only tier 8 because test server.

2nd of all - it now doesn't wobble around, it can actually move. ~45km/h, which isn't bad. And gun - I don't feel like much is changed, gun is Japanese derp, shells have their own mind.

IDK, to me feels like it's still not worth it. Don't take my word on it tho.

Ah thanks. I wasn't under any illusion that these buffs would suddenly make the STA-2 OP or anything but the mobility buff is a nice one to have.

I may be wrong but  you can get used to bad gun-handling (account for it or just plain not care and throw shells down range playing probability games) but you can't really account for bad mobility which is much more limiting for a tank. I realise the above statement doesn't really make sense and I'm not really sure how to put it better into words. It's just my opinion but that's my take on it.

Of course, it might just be that I'm a baddie.

Once again, thanks. I guess I have something to look forward to in 9.9 now that they're taking the Auf. Panther away.

Edited by Armatus

I do plan on getting the STA-2, and free EXP'ing to the STA-1 and putting a girl crew in it. The STB looks like my kinda tank, and playing the STA-2 in strongholds will at least get me credits and wont be stupid painful to play as it'll see its own tier. 

I do plan on getting the STA-2, and free EXP'ing to the STA-1 and putting a girl crew in it. The STB looks like my kinda tank, and playing the STA-2 in strongholds will at least get me credits and wont be stupid painful to play as it'll see its own tier. 

This is pretty much why I got the STA-2/what I'm doing now. Only difference is my caller is mean and doesn't let me bring the STA-2 into Tier VIII SH.

He even said 'arma don't bring that shit please'.

I cried.

I dunno, I kinda like the STA-2. It's like the T-54 mod. 1 in that you need to use a lot of gold ammo to make it enjoyable. I'm really glad to see that it's gonna get a bloom and terrain resistance buff soon.