swisstika

Is the STA-2 any good?

60 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Nicarasu said:

So I've been debating between this tank, the T54 Mod. 1, and the CDC. The CDC's star seems to have fallen as of late, I'm unsure of the 54 Mod 1's speed, and this tank seems like it could be nice to play in rotation with my KR and Mutz for credits.

I bought the cdc some time ago and quite regret it, should have bought the sta-2 and about the the t54 mod. 1 it is beast, when top tier I like it a lot. 

On 15.6.2016 at 4:50 AM, Nicarasu said:

So I've been debating between this tank, the T54 Mod. 1, and the CDC. The CDC's star seems to have fallen as of late, I'm unsure of the 54 Mod 1's speed, and this tank seems like it could be nice to play in rotation with my KR and Mutz for credits.

It's... Good. It doesn`t have it's superb DPM anymore, but being able to reliably penetrate with regular ammo, did wonders to this tank. Right now, it's basically a carbon-copy of the STA-1, which is both sad and good at the same time, since the STA-1 doesn't really do anything bad, but doesn't really excell at anything. DPM is sufficient, oomph is there, accuracy as well. You loose the stupid lack of depression towards the rear (compared to the STA-1), loose some of your camo (it's still pretty good) and mobility and gain a teensy-weensy bit of better aimtime. I have very fond memories about my grind with the STA-1, which is a really good hedgerow-sniper (good camo, good gun, good depression) and now, since the STA-2 is basically the exact same tank with minor drawbacks, I have very fond memories about every game played in it, since the buff. If you want a Centurion-esque tank that does everything the Cent is meant to be good at but better, then these are the tanks you are looking for.

Of note though: It's not a carry-tank. If you play wise, your gun will shower you in damage and credits, but it lacks the mobility or armor to really carry the matches reliably. But as long as you take every chance to work off your team, it will serve you well. I would post stats, but of my ~40 games played, only 10 are post-buff, so the stats aren't really reflective of it's current results (especially the winrate *shudders*). General trend though: ~2,000 DPG are easily doable reliably (my current DPG over the past few days is at about 2.5k, I think), except if you got one of those teams that collapses on itself fater than you can reload your third shot (which happens).

So seems to also shit credits really well?

I might consider getting one now. I recently started to farm free XP to research remaining 30k to Type 61 (not buying STA-1 back for that) and my grill crew is almost ready for it, so a crew trainer for them would be cool.

So, good gun depression, good pen, great gun handling and makes credits? I would potentially like it. I didnt like STA-1 back when i last played it, but last time i played it was like 1.5 years ago (it did sat on my garage next 7 months with almost no game played until i sold it) and i was bad at any paper medium anyway. If i now get Ravioli work then i should get this one work aswell.

11 hours ago, leggasiini said:

So seems to also shit credits really well?

It earns solidly, but I wouldn't call it shitting credits.

11 hours ago, leggasiini said:

I might consider getting one now. I recently started to farm free XP to research remaining 30k to Type 61 (not buying STA-1 back for that) and my grill crew is almost ready for it, so a crew trainer for them would be cool.

So, good gun depression, good pen, great gun handling and makes credits? I would potentially like it. I didnt like STA-1 back when i last played it, but last time i played it was like 1.5 years ago (it did sat on my garage next 7 months with almost no game played until i sold it) and i was bad at any paper medium anyway. If i now get Ravioli work then i should get this one work aswell.

STA1 and STA2 are basically the same tank. Gun handling is good,as the gun seems to be one of those that tend to hit where you point it at under most circumstances, except when driving fullspeed down a hill or so. The tank's fuel doesn't go up in flames at random, if you keep your arse away from the enemy guns, so you can give the mobility a nice boost by using fuel/oil, if food is too expensive for your tastes (even simple credit-oil makes the tank surprisingly snappy). Expect to burst in flames whenever artillery shoots you though, but a fuel-fire is the least of your problems when a T8+-arty scores a penetrating hit.

Like all tier 8 240 alpha meds more or less, its kinda powercreeped and hurt with recent changes. Its one of the best ones still thanks to HEAT shells, DPM, GH and depression, but its still a 240 alpha med that constantly faces retarded creations of balance department at tier 10.